PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Some Questions About the Whip and Half-Giants

supermrjmt
2010-11-19, 10:33 AM
First, when using a large sized whip with the Powerful Build ability I thought I had read somewhere that you add 5 feet to the reach. However I can not seem to find my source and am most likely completely mistaken. If someone could confirm this, it would be most appreciated.

Second, if you have the Improved Trip feat and attempt a trip attack with a whip at melee range do you provoke an attack of opportunity? Also, if you succeed on said trio attempt can you use your free attack from Improved Trip with your offhand weapon?

Finally, what is the DC of the Half-Giant's racial Stomp ability? From what little I know of Psionics it would seem that it is always DC 10. That seems a little weak though so I just wanted to double check. In case it matters (Again, I don't know that much about Psionics) my character is not a Psionic class. Just pure Fighter.

Thanks.

Toliudar
2010-11-19, 11:12 AM
Powerful Build: Reach is not an opposed check, so Powerful Build does not extend your reach.

Improved Trip: Using a whip always triggers attacks of opportunity, unless you have some other ability that specifically negates this (for instance, the ability to use ranged weapons without drawing AoO's).

DC of the Stomp ability DC 10+1 (level of power) + your charisma modifier.

Cog
2010-11-19, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind that, while using the whip causes a threat, the target still needs to be able to make his attack. If you're attacking a sword-wielding goblin from 15', you provoke but the goblin can't reach you to actually make the attack.

As for Psi-likes, they are automatically augmented to the full power your manifester level allows. Unfortunately, for Stomp that only increases the damage and not the DC, so Toliudar's answer is correct; other races' powers might scale with level, though.