PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with Tarquin

Jan Mattys
2010-11-19, 11:42 AM
Seriously... Today's strip is all kinds of awesome.
It also establishes how evil and utterly tainted Tarquin is as a despot, as a dictator and as an evil mastermind.

...and all I could think of, after reading it with a smile on my face, is that he just seems really really happy to have his long-lost son by his side, and how cute is him going out of the way just to lit up a nice surprise to impress Elan.

He's a total monster, but I find his "dad" part heart-melting.

There's slaves burning and all I can think of is "Aaaaawwwww", followed by a tear when I think how bad is Elan feeling now that he has realised the truth. Poor little Elan.

Am I a bad person? :smalleek:

suszterpatt
2010-11-19, 11:45 AM
At this point, I'd say that not being emotionally confused would be a bigger reason to worry.

Pronounceable
2010-11-19, 12:00 PM
Tarquin is a magnificient evil bastard who has charisma and evil dripping from his ears. There's no confusion, there is awesome.

Leliel
2010-11-19, 12:11 PM
Seriously... Today's strip is all kinds of awesome.
It also establishes how evil and utterly tainted Tarquin is as a despot, as a dictator and as an evil mastermind.

...and all I could think of, after reading it with a smile on my face, is that he really really seems happy to have his long-lost son by his side, and how cute is him going out of the way just to lit up a nice surprise to impress Elan.

He's a total monster, but I find his "dad" part heart-melting.

There's slaves burning and all I think of is "aaaaawwwww", followed by a tear when I think how bad is Elan feeling now that he has realised the truth. Poor little Elan.

Am I a bad person? :smalleek:

No.

In any case, you're a lot better than I am, who finds the cognitive dissonance hilarious.

Sylthia
2010-11-19, 01:34 PM
It reminds me a bit of Gul Dukat for you Star Trek fans. A complete monster/dictator who still has a soft spot for his child.

apenpaap
2010-11-19, 01:44 PM
It reminds me a bit of Gul Dukat for you Star Trek fans. A complete monster/dictator who still has a soft spot for his child.

Yeah. Before they ruined him with the Pah-Wraith nonsense.

Red XIV
2010-11-19, 01:51 PM
And who, for a while, left you wondering if maybe he wasn't quite as evil as he initially seemed. Before reminding you that, yes. He is.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-19, 01:52 PM
It reminds me a bit of Gul Dukat for you Star Trek fans. A complete monster/dictator who still has a soft spot for his child.Dukat is more than that, and more subtle than Tarquin (although he was about for YEARS of episodes). I quote:

unforgivable butcher or misunderstood hero or anything in between...people still can't agree on where he stands.

I agree though, Tarquin has that streak of charisma that makes an otherwise horrific character accessible.

Cen
2010-11-19, 01:54 PM
Why do you think evil people can't love their families and be happy?

FoE
2010-11-19, 02:21 PM
It's a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming that quickly gets stabbed in the heart by a Mood Whiplash.

Gamgee
2010-11-19, 02:26 PM
That's just sick. The whole scene is pretty alarming actually. But then again I'm a for the greater good sort of guy and it pains me to say this but if my dad was all evil burning hundreds of people alive and I was right there realizing it I would take a stab at bringing him down. But what do I know? I'm just crazy like that, caring for lives. -_-