PDA

View Full Version : We got a little ahead of ourselves...

Boren
2010-11-19, 12:28 PM
Greetings once again playground :smallbiggrin:
So as we heroically quest along the savage tide adventure path we seem to have done a little too much good in the world....
You see small extras and almost always getting the maximum result in the previous chapters has led us into 'The Light-less Depths" chapter (for 11th level PCs) a bit ahead of the curve. In fact the last random encounter we hit just topped us off to a ding at level 15....we're only supposed to hit 12 by the end of the chapter. (oopsie)
Our DM has said hes going to try to curve us back by skipping all random encounters until we're at least a little closer to where we 'should' be. I'm not a big fan of this idea but I haven't said anything yet because I haven't been able to come up with anything better and I TRY to never gripe without another idea or two to 'I don't like this could we try this' aka don't gripe just for the sake of griping :smallwink:
I hereby call upon the great and mighty collective geekdom of the playground show us now the better path :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: aka Ideas plz :smallwink:

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-19, 01:02 PM
go kill your self.... 3 times :smallbiggrin:

random encounters are mostly just filler any way right? why are you worried about the Dm cutting them out? you get to somthing interesting faster.

OldTrees
2010-11-19, 01:05 PM

This ^. Seriously explore the afterlife for a little bit and come back with an xp penalty.

Or just bypass the random encounters to get to the good stuff

Or ask the DM to increase the difficulty of the adventure by multiplying the enemies encountered

Boren
2010-11-19, 02:05 PM

Only if I get to come back with some niffty powers from beyond :smallyuk:

{Scrubbed}

gbprime
2010-11-19, 02:11 PM
The DM needs to learn to manage XP handouts. You gain XP as fast as the DM says you do, no more, no less. If the DM thinks you're levelling too fast, (s)he should just hand out less XP per encounter, and to hell with what the tables in the rulebook suggest.

Problem solved.

Pinnacle
2010-11-19, 02:16 PM
The DM needs to learn to manage XP handouts. You gain XP as fast as the DM says you do, no more, no less. If the DM thinks you're levelling too fast, (s)he should just hand out less XP per encounter, and to hell with what the tables in the rulebook suggest.

Problem solved.

This and raising the encounter levels for a while so that it's not too easy should do the trick.

Zeofar
2010-11-19, 02:23 PM
Only if I get to come back with some niffty powers from beyond :smallyuk:
However could we plz stick to realistic suggestions you are seriously close to trolling IMO

If the DM makes sure that you all die a few times it sounds pretty realistic.

Raising the encounter levels and lowering xp for a while sounds like a good solution, though. And skipping random encounters. Seems pretty basic.

I don't know exactly what happens in Savage Tide, but perhaps there is a monster that could cause permanent xp loss that could fit in?

tyckspoon
2010-11-19, 02:31 PM
If you're that far ahead of the module, he might not actually have to do much of anything. By RAW, you'll get significantly less XP for taking on encounters that are several points of CR/Encounter Level under your party, so unless the random encounters were meant to be unusually tough in the first place (and if they're written in an official Wizards adventure, they generally aren't) they won't contribute much to your experience. I'd still skip 'em, but that's a personal preference for not spending game time on largely meaningless fights- if your group enjoys stomping through random encounters, carry on and point out the XP tables to your DM.

2010-11-19, 03:08 PM
some things dont scale too well to levels* but other things** do, and by level 12 your at that point where with a little bit of thought you can get around most things twice a day, so tell the DM to just scale it up and stop whining. also +1 to managing EXP rewards better in the future.

*a wide chasm is a major obstacle at level one, literally beneath your notice by level 20 unless your paranoid or theres something of interest in it

**evil wizards?

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-11-19, 06:44 PM
I think the only error here was the DM telling you that he was cutting out the random encounters. I think that's a fine approach, and I find random encounters to be a waste of time usually anyways. He could also just give you less XP than you would normally get as well. It's really not the players' concern. He did you an additional favor by telling you how he's remedying the situation.

Boren
2010-11-19, 08:33 PM
If the DM makes sure that you all die a few times it sounds pretty realistic.

Raising the encounter levels and lowering xp for a while sounds like a good solution, though. And skipping random encounters. Seems pretty basic.

I don't know exactly what happens in Savage Tide, but perhaps there is a monster that could cause permanent xp loss that could fit in?

I don't know about your group but in mine any death by DM fiat is the quickest and surest way to cause a player revolt and we are all experienced enough players to recognize and ridiculously over our heads monster placed only to ensure a player death or two which in our collective books is the same thing. That and at this level we have the more than enough to draw on that death is extremely unlikely to result in level loss.
I guess the bottom line is then that no one here has any better ideas ether so unless someone has something new please just let this thread die. I wanted other options to suggest however if there if no one has one then I'll just run with it.
{Scrubbed}

John_D
2010-11-19, 08:37 PM

Problem solved.

Or drop XP altogether and just level where it seems appropriate.

Chambers
2010-11-20, 12:09 AM
I think the DM reducing or eliminating random encounters is probably the best answer.

Dying would be an interesting option though - you guys could talk it over out of character and agree to be okay with it. Then perhaps there's some kind of mini-adventure that your characters do while they're dead before they come back to life, a few levels lower. Gets you back to the appropriate level for the module and adds to the story. :smallsmile:

CyMage
2010-11-20, 12:31 AM
I don't know about your group but in mine any death by DM fiat is the quickest and surest way to cause a player revolt and we are all experienced enough players to recognize and ridiculously over our heads monster placed only to ensure a player death or two which in our collective books is the same thing. That and at this level we have the more than enough to draw on that death is extremely unlikely to result in level loss.
I guess the bottom line is then that no one here has any better ideas ether so unless someone has something new please just let this thread die. I wanted other options to suggest however if there if no one has one then I'll just run with it.
Anyone else who tries to suggest that PC death is the proper solution WILL be reported for trolling

You sir are wrong. All the suggestions for PC death are valid and on topic replies to your original question. As I see it, here are the few ways I think this could be fixed. I'll list them from best to least likely for feasibility.

1) DM cuts out the random encounters.
2) DM gets rid of XP awards and just tells you when to level.
3) Level drain with no way to restore the loss.
4) PC deaths.
5) All PCs picking up magic item crafting and crafting enough to stay at the same level for a while. Not feasible for all characters or due to time constraints.
6) All PCs ending up with multiclassing penalties.

As you can see, the first four suggestions are the ones that will work no matter the group composition.

BobVosh
2010-11-20, 03:16 AM
Also 5 just annihilates the WBL so hard it isn't even close to being funny.