PDA

View Full Version : Control Weather Wonders

ShriekingDrake
2010-11-19, 12:51 PM
I've looked at the description of Control Weather (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWeather.htm) and I am wondering about the spell. There is either too much or note enough description there.

The spell lists "possible weather"; what does that mean? Is that the only possible weather? Can I just make it rain lightly? How about fog? It's clear that I can't make lightning strike a particular location, but what can I affect? For instance, how much can I affect the temperature or wind speed? It's a pretty high level spell, but it's just unclear what the reasonable limits of using it are. In a sense I'm asking, also, does the weather I call have to be cataclysmic as described in the "possible weather" column or can I tone it down--and if I can, how much can I affect?

On a different path, how do you make the best use of this spell? Where does it come in handy? Have you made any noteworthy uses of this spell?

Greenish
2010-11-19, 01:20 PM
The spell lists "possible weather"; what does that mean?It means you're not going to make a blizzard in the middle of summer.

As the spell says, you can conjure up any weather that'd be appropriate for the season, so yes, you could make light rain (unless it's so cold it'd be snow instead, or dry season, or you're in the middle of a rainless desert).

ShriekingDrake
2010-11-19, 02:55 PM
Thanks.

How have you used this spell to your advantage?

jebob
2010-11-19, 05:01 PM
It means you're not going to make a blizzard in the middle of summer.

I can see you don't live in England!

Toliudar
2010-11-19, 06:30 PM
Visibility is a huge factor, and weather, once created, is a natural phenomenon that can't be dispelled. If you have blindsight, mindsight, or something similar, a bank of fog gives you a huge tactical advantage.

Other thoughts:

Putting out forest fires.
Starting forest fires (lightning strikes).
Convincing someone you're a god.
Slowing the advance of an army by washing out the roads.

Keld Denar
2010-11-19, 06:39 PM
Localized tornado bombs. That is all.

Last Laugh
2010-11-19, 07:00 PM
Putting out forest fires.
Starting forest fires (lightning strikes).

I just woke up from a nap, and for some reason these two together made me giggle, thanks!

Lord Vukodlak
2010-11-19, 08:52 PM
Thanks.

How have you used this spell to your advantage?

The sorcerer generated cloud cover for our airship to escape in.