PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Crazy Plot Twists!!!

Chess435
2010-11-19, 01:57 PM
What's up, playgrounders? I have a bit of a tale to tell. I was DM'ing a 3.5 session a couple years back, and the party was just generally screwing around, not even attempting to advance the plot in any way. So I decided to give them a bit of a nudge. Okay, maybe a bit more than a little.

I dropped the party smack dab in the middle of a Halo 3 campaign mission, (the Covenant, to be precise) and told them if they succeeded, they could bring an item or two home with them. It actually led to a lot of fun and creative ideas, at least until the party was vaporized by Scarabs.......

So my question is this, players and DM's. What kind have crazy twists have you incorporated in your plot, or have experienced firsthand? And what were the consequences of said crazy plot twist?

Callista
2010-11-19, 02:05 PM
Hmm... Well, I had them all primed to fight a BBEG, only to realize the poor guy had been overwhelmed by his own magical experimentation and was now quite defenseless and harmless.

The results of those experiments, however... Not so harmless. >:)

gbprime
2010-11-19, 02:13 PM
Hmm... Well, I had them all primed to fight a BBEG, only to realize the poor guy had been overwhelmed by his own magical experimentation and was now quite defenseless and harmless.

The results of those experiments, however... Not so harmless. >:)

Aha! The BBEG is defeated, yay! By an even bigger... even badder... uh oh. :smalleek:

Classic.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-11-19, 02:40 PM
Man, it's hard enough to keep my Players following the actual plot without throwing twists their way :smallsigh:

Last time I tried to run a "mystery plot" the Players got so frustrated that they decided to just knock over the local thieves' guild rather than figure it out. Had to end that campaign 'cause they were all arrested when they decided to hang out at the guild's front (a tavern) amid the bodies of the guild enforcers they slaughtered for hours because they were waiting on the guild bosses to "answer their questions."

It didn't help that the PCs were all deputies of the Watch either :smallfrown:

Pokonic
2010-11-19, 03:25 PM
The best twist I pulled on my players was that after killing a LE human dictater, they found out the entire city was above a portal to the Abyss, and that by killing him they unsealed the gate holding the demons back, and they only had 1 hour to evacuate the largest human city on the planet and to prepare for the massive demon invasion.:smallbiggrin:

Nanoblack
2010-11-19, 03:38 PM
In my favorite game I've ever ran, I made it so Sigil and the Lady of Pain's spire was a lock for the multiverse's biggest portal to the Far Realms and the Pact Primeval was the key to opening it. So they spent the whole campaign being led on by an Alienist possessed by an eldritch horror, and thinking they were screwing over the devils when in reality, they were wrecking everything.

The look on their faces when the first tentacle popped out was priceless.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-19, 03:46 PM
In my favorite game I've ever ran, I made it so Sigil and the Lady of Pain's spire was a lock for the multiverse's biggest portal to the Far Realms and the Pact Primeval was the key to opening it. So they spent the whole campaign being led on by an Alienist possessed by an eldritch horror, and thinking they were screwing over the devils when in reality, they were wrecking everything.

The look on their faces when the first tentacle popped out was priceless.

Pure Epicness!

MachFarcon
2010-11-19, 07:01 PM
Exploding Zombies.

An skeleton tower that was the boss. (Players leave the tower swearing about "that stupid empty tower" and then the tower stands up)

Toliudar
2010-11-19, 07:48 PM
I had a PnP 3.0 edition campaign that ran for almost two years. In the first session, the pompous paladin took on a little gnome transmuter as his cohort and squire. The paladin managed to detect evil about a hundred NPC's over the course of the campaign, but never his own little buddy. Three quarters of the way through the campaign, in the middle of a major battle with some drow in the underdark, little buddy abruptly switches sides, reveals himself to be a drow wizard, and teleports away with the recently-recovered mcguffin. Yup, he was the BBEG. Because he knew the PC's so well by then (and, well, wizard), it was a tactical nightmare to fight him. The group managed to defeat his plans, but not before he'd killed the paladin, animated the corpse and handed it back to the PC's as a present.

It was the only time that I've managed to make the "enemy among us" thing work.

Aidan305
2010-11-19, 09:11 PM
Hmmm, I once had the party paladin discover that his god was, in fact, a guise of Levistus. That was fun.

Then there was the time when, as a player in a game, I neatly arranged evidence to bring about the conclusion that it was the butler that did it ( when in reality it was me)