PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin's Motives

Daehron
2010-11-19, 02:37 PM
Tarquin clearly has a self-conscious flair for the dramatic. He also is, like all major characters aware of 'how the story' works.

He's toying with Elans emotions to lure him into being the heir of his empire of sorts.

Or is he...
plotting on a whole other level.
His lost son is:
a protagonist
on a quest of 'some consequence
searching out a reclusive epic Mage of likely chaotic good alignment

a Mage who is likely a significant adversary in his continental domination scheme
perhaps these public displays are not just for Elan's benefit. Perhaps... Tarquin is making it look like Elan is in tight with him to preempt his son from joining forces with a Mage who is likely his greatest local threat?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I don't read every thread /post...

[/SPOILER]

cho_j
2010-11-19, 02:45 PM
That's a theory I really enjoy! Too bad that as of the newest strip, the chances of Elan accepting such an heirdom are about nil (IMO).

Flarp
2010-11-19, 02:53 PM
That's a theory I really enjoy! Too bad that as of the newest strip, the chances of Elan accepting such an heirdom are about nil (IMO).

Tarquin's dramatic lighting/forshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html) suggests he may have a plan to do exactly that, though. I doubt he's that unaware of his son's Chaotic Goodness.

Morquard
2010-11-19, 07:10 PM
Tarquin's dramatic lighting/forshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html) suggests he may have a plan to do exactly that, though. I doubt he's that unaware of his son's Chaotic Goodness.
Tarquin is pretty unaware about much in Elan's life actually.
Last strip he naturally assumed that Elan is the leader of the OotS. He doesn't get that Elan's childish behaviour is not just some ruse or play, but that Elan is actually that naive.

I'm 100% certain he believes that Elan is fully aware of just how evil he really is, I mean as Haley said, the evidence is really really hard to miss. And the fact that he wants to spend time with him, and hasn't killed him yet and that he actually defended him against the City of Doom ambassador, or hasn't done anything like what a "hero" would do, tells him, that deep down his son is not good.
Elan might belive he's good, but he's really neutral, but probably ready to turn evil with some guidance that he's willing to provide. (In Tarquin's mind)

He just doesn't understand that his own son could be so stupid to not see all this, and therefor now that Elan actually does understand (I thought he got it last comic already, but it apperently really needed those 200 ft flaming letters) he'll be in for a huge surprise when he realises that his son is so far away from evil as he himself is from good.

Kislath
2010-11-19, 11:28 PM
Here's my theroy:

Tarquin is now deliberately pouring on the evil, knowing that Elan will find it repugnant. He knows that a do-gooder like Elan will feel a strong need to do.. SOMETHING about it.
As such, he thinks that Elan, if given the opportunity, will be eager to take over everything in the hope of turning everything around, which Tarquin thinks won't turn out quite like Elan may expect...

The Pale King
2010-11-19, 11:49 PM
Here's my theroy:

Tarquin is now deliberately pouring on the evil, knowing that Elan will find it repugnant. He knows that a do-gooder like Elan will feel a strong need to do.. SOMETHING about it.
As such, he thinks that Elan, if given the opportunity, will be eager to take over everything in the hope of turning everything around, which Tarquin thinks won't turn out quite like Elan may expect...
I actually have a feeling that Tarquin's love for Elan is genuine. I think that Elan is to him as Mr. Scruffy is to Belkar. The one living being who he actually holds any sort of affection for. Plus, that wouldn't really work. Elan may be dumb, but he's smart enough to know he's too dumb to run anything, let alone an entire country.

Yendor
2010-11-20, 12:11 AM
I actually have a feeling that Tarquin's love for Elan is genuine. I think that Elan is to him as Mr. Scruffy is to Belkar. The one living being who he actually holds any sort of affection for.
Quite possible. And rather tragic, really. He certainly wouldn't have got much affection out of Nale, but he fails to realise it's his own fault.