PDA

View Full Version : The shieldinator? (dnd 3.5 wierd build idea)

boomwolf
2010-11-19, 05:04 PM
I think I came up with possibly the wierdest build idea ever.

A Master Thrower , who focuses on tossing around shields in order to daze opponents.

It should also give him nice AC and all, with all the "bonus AC shield feats" ( and one even applies all shield AC, including bonus from feats to touch AC, bull rush, trip, disarm, grapple, or overrun. nullifying most combat weaknesses)

Now, a knight because if you focus on shields are you primary

Now, its rather feat heavy, because to be a master thrower you need:
Point Blank Shot, Precice Shot, Weapon Focus (light/heavy shield), Shield Specialization, Improved Shield Bash and Sling Shield. (not to mention BAB of 9 to apply for shield sling) a total of 6
Now, in order to increase effectiveness you also need: Shield Charge, Shield Ward and Shield Slam, so that 9 feats. toss Active Shield Defense if you can afford it. (allows you to turtle up better against melee guys)

The build I'm thinking about is Human fighter 4/knight 2/<undecided full BAB> 3/master thrower 5/<undecided> 1
OR
Human fighter 4/knight 2/<undecided 3/4 BAB> 4/master thrower 5

Reasoning:
Human for feat.
Fighter for 3 feats.
Knight for Shield Block. (+1 AC that applies against everything, might be replaced if I find something that give more.)
Master Thrower is obvious.

Now, I would probably use a light shield here, so I can get Palm Throw (two possibly-dazing attacks each turn!), then throw in Two with One Blow (daze more guys if you think you can hit easy), and probably Deadeye Shot or Weak Spot to get it easier to actually hit.

Now, great AC (touch too), massive bonuses against most combat moves, and a possible total lockdown that targets fort saves and deals damage as normal attack, gives you a good shot against anyone-after all the good fort guys are the one that will melee you, and the spellcasters usually suck at that area-making them easy daze targets, and if you manage to land the first blow-the fight is practically yours, as they will be dazed to death. as for melee-keep tripping them at range with your shield sling, or charge on them and keep bashing them as much as you can.

Not the most powerful level 15 build, but it gotta get you a good laugh, while still providing good effectiveness.

What do you guys think?
Amusing isn't it?
Anyway, what do you think I should place in the undecided class levels?
Is there a good replacement for the knight levels? (something less restraining would be nice.)

AslanCross
2010-11-19, 06:30 PM
Bloodstorm Blade's requirements are much easier to meet, and it gives more than the Master Thrower, I think. (Or at least more that will work with a shield.)

CodeRed
2010-11-19, 06:32 PM
I think I came up with possibly the wierdest build idea ever.

A Master Thrower , who focuses on tossing around shields in order to daze opponents.

Now, I would probably use a light shield here, so I can get Palm Throw (two possibly-dazing attacks each turn!), then throw in Two with One Blow (daze more guys if you think you can hit easy), and probably Deadeye Shot or Weak Spot to get it easier to actually hit.

1. This is a seriously and IMO, borderline useless, build idea.
2. Shield Slam works RAW with Shield Sling but not RAI. Also, it requires a charge or a full-round action and you get nothing else that turn attack or movement wise.
3. You can't Palm Throw two shields. Palm Throw specifically mentions "little thrown weapons (darts, shurikens, daggers)" as qualifying. As well, RAI-wise it is mimicking palm two little objects. You cannot palm a shield. It does mention DM adjudication as what else will apply for the class but shields? Come on.

Vaynor
2010-11-19, 06:32 PM
Bloodstorm Blade's requirements are much easier to meet, and it gives more than the Master Thrower, I think. (Or at least more that will work with a shield.)

Definitely this. It gives you Returning on all thrown weapons, which would knock down costs tremendously.

boomwolf
2010-11-19, 06:59 PM
Errr...

Not quite familiar with all the ToB thingy...mind to elaborate?

CodeRed:
1-Not everyone has to munchkin. some of us can have fun while being moderate.
2-A full round action is acceptable if I can effectively paralyze and damage my opponent in a single attack isn't it? and yaknow-if you know how to daze a guy with a shield, and to throw a shield to attack, it makes perfect sense that you can daze with a throw, you jest combine two things you know to do into a single fluid action. much like two-weapon fighting with a sword and a shield combined with two-weapon charge (or whatever they call it) and shield bash will allow to shield bash in addition to sword swing, and if you got two-weapon rend it will also apply, despite you are "bashing" rather then "normally attacking"
3-light shield, combined with shield sling, is a light thrown weapon. fits perfectly to the description, so many DMs will allow it.

CodeRed
2010-11-19, 07:34 PM
I'm not saying you have to powergame but throwing shields is weird. I'm sorry if my post came off as an attack it wasn't meant to. D&D is about fun so if this build sounds fun to you, then cool, have fun.

That being said, Palm Throw with light shields is just silly. RAI it makes no sense. Even worse, RAW it does not designate that the ability can even be used with light weapons. It says "little thrown weapons" which isn't a rules classification of weapon type in 3.5e unlike light weapon which is an actual weapon type. So, as written, you wouldn't be able to use Palm Throw with Handaxes which are light weapons. Why then would that let you throw light weapons in the form of a light shield?

AslanCross
2010-11-19, 07:38 PM
Bloodstorm Blade's main idea is that it allows you to perform melee attack options with thrown weapons, and it can throw ANYTHING (not just traditional thrown weapons) so it can apply feats like Power Attack and the like. It only requires very few actual Martial maneuvers from ToB (one maneuver and one stance) so it's an entry requirement that's easy enough to work around.

It also gives everything you throw the Returning property at level one, so it really works with the Captain America idea.

And yes, CodeRed is right that it might be a little difficult to get Palm Throw to work with a light shield. The RAW is clear in that it refers to small thrown projectiles, which a light shield (despite the name) is not.

A light shield would probably be the equivalent of the real life heater (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2578187756_dfba4b1168.jpg) while the heavy shield would be more like the kite shield. (http://www.greydragon.org/trips/Hastings/hastingscavalry066.jpg) They are quite big.

Edited for grammar.

boomwolf
2010-11-20, 06:52 AM
Well, if we bloostorm blade it, maybe we could get away with going ToB from the firstplace? got an idea for an actual build from ground up for this shield thrower?

Would have suggested a buckler (truly small), but I doubt you can shield bash with it properly. (if I recall you CAN shield bash with it. but it deals no damage-so you get only a lock, without actually killing...eventually...)

true_shinken
2010-11-20, 07:08 AM
Another Captain America build. I approve.