PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magmin as a playable race

Thurbane
2010-11-19, 08:59 PM
Not sure if this belongs in Homebrew, but how would you stat out Magmin as a playable race?

+4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
Small size.
A magmin's base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A magmin begins with two levels of elemental, which provide 2d8 hit dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: A magmin's elemental levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb and Spot.
Racial Feats: A magmin's elemental levels give it one feat.
+6 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: Burning touch (1d8 fire plus combustion) or slam (1d3+3 plus combustion). A magmin’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Special Attacks: Combustion, fiery aura
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic, elemental traits, immunity to fire, melt weapons, vulnerability to cold
Automatic Languages: Ignan. Bonus Languages: ???
Favored Class: ???
Level adjustment + ???

...so what would you say are it's LA, favored class and bonus languages?

- Cheers - T

Keld Denar
2010-11-19, 09:05 PM
I'd say its a high +1 or a VERY low +2. The 2 required HD are what make me lean toward +1, Elemental HD kinda...suck. A lot.

Bonus languages...not a lot. Probably the two adjacent elementals like Terran and Auran, but not Aquan, the language of their rival elemental (unless you feel its appropriate to learn the language of your enemy, not out of line). Other than that, maybe Dwarven due to forging, and Svirfneblin, and possibly also Infernal due to devils love (and immunity) to fire.

Favored class: Fighter, probably. Its straightforward and easy. Favored classes are dumb anyway...

Thurbane
2010-11-19, 09:10 PM
Good points.

LA +1 might seem a little low, for the immunities that elemental traits give.

Also, natural touch attack, combustion, melt weapon and fiery aura are reasonably powerful abilities at low level...

Keld Denar
2010-11-19, 09:15 PM
Yea, but thats 3 character levels you'll NEVER GET BACK. Well, 2 of them, if you are able to buy off the LA, but...blech, elemental HD suck. 2 skills? Fer serial? Poor fort/will saves? Blech. 3/4 BAB? Blech!

Starbuck_II
2010-11-19, 10:02 PM
Agreed, I go with +1 LA,.

Runestar
2010-11-20, 12:01 AM
As mentioned in the other thread, magmins were given an LA of +4 in savage species (together with their own monster class progression).

Thurbane
2010-11-20, 12:16 AM
As mentioned in the other thread, magmins were given an LA of +4 in savage species (together with their own monster class progression).
Damn... :smalleek:

Runestar
2010-11-20, 12:27 AM
It is also worth noting that SS uses the 3.0 magmin, which is weaker (+2NA, -2str, +2dex, -2int). The bulk of the LA seems to stem from its special abilities, which are probably still moderately useful at lower lvs, but would rapidly degrade in usefulness.

Nevertheless, I do think ECL6 is way too steep. Maybe ECL3, rationale being that +4str/+2con puts it on par with a goliath, and you still get +6NA and elemental traits, at the expense of powerful build and 2 crappy racial HD.

On a side note, how does this creature merit a cr3? Their potential for a lot of damage and possibly slagging the fighter's weapon?

Admiral Squish
2010-11-20, 12:54 AM
For some reason or another, I thought this thread was about playing a magMAR. The pokemon. There was a degree of confusion as to where the stats came from.