PDA

View Full Version : Crazy, Improbable, Out-of-the-left-field Theory #2345

Maximum Zersk
2010-11-19, 09:16 PM
Now, this idea may sound pretty weird. I personally don't know how to feel about it. Plus, there's no evidence for it, really, and a lot of evidence against it.

But what if Geoff, the prisoner and Ian's apparent brother-in-law is Gerard?

Dr.Epic
2010-11-19, 09:23 PM
Well, he looks nothing like Girard especially because he lacks a tattoo and has a different skin tone, but hey, knowing OotS, it really isn't that unlikely.

Morquard
2010-11-19, 09:50 PM
Looks don't mean squat when dealing with an epic level ILLUSIONIST

The bigger question would be, why would an epic level illusionist (which is an epic level wizard with the Illusionist school, but still a wizard) let himself be captured and stuck in a prison for years when he has a gate to guard.

Also there's no reason whatsoever that supports the theory that he's Girard. "It could be him, because he doesn't have to look like him" just isn't enough. If it was, then Malak or Tarquin or the Empress or that Elven Ambassador or wife #10 could be Girard with equal likelyness.
The only one that couldn't be Girard would be that guy that looks like Girard because Girard would never disguise as himself.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-19, 10:26 PM
Looks don't mean squat when dealing with an epic level ILLUSIONIST

Then why doesn't he use his magic to escape? Illusion (aside from just destroying the walls of the jail with magic) may be the best school of magic for escaping.

Morquard
2010-11-19, 10:44 PM
Then why doesn't he use his magic to escape? Illusion (aside from just destroying the walls of the jail with magic) may be the best school of magic for escaping.

If you've read my second sentence too...

I just said "he doesn't look like him" isn't really a good reason when dealing with a master of illusions.

Umbra
2010-11-19, 10:57 PM
What if the gate is beneath the prison?

Maximum Zersk
2010-11-19, 10:58 PM
Yeah, mind you, the idea makes no sense to me. But for some reason, it wouldn't leave me alone.

Morquard
2010-11-19, 11:17 PM
What if the gate is beneath the prison?

I thought about that and its equally unlikely.
- The decoy location was in the middle of the desert, but that would make no sense if the gate was inside a city, as Soon would have instantly recognized it was fake and also probably found it without a map then
- There's no city to be seen in the flashback where Girard hides the gate
- That means the city would have to be build later, ontop of the gate
- You don't think an epic level spellcaster would be unable to get them to build it somewhere else, right? Make illusions of something that makes building here bad, and they move elsewhere.
- Even IF all that happened, posing as a prisoner is pretty stupid, a guard would be smarter, or just stay invisible

Fact remains there is not one shred of evidence, not even a shred of a hint that Geoff is Girard, except that both names start with a G.

Red XIV
2010-11-19, 11:30 PM
If we're going to toss around baseless theories about Girard, how about he's Elan & Nale's maternal grandfather. After all, both of them are spellcasters that specialize in illusions and use swords, just like Girard. And like Nale, he has facial hair.

Hey, more to support that than Geoff being Girard.

Morquard
2010-11-19, 11:35 PM
If we're going to toss around baseless theories about Girard, how about he's Elan & Nale's maternal grandfather. After all, both of them are spellcasters that specialize in illusions and use swords, just like Girard. And like Nale, he has facial hair.

Hey, more to support that than Geoff being Girard.

I would rather bet on Haley's maternal Grandfather than that, at least they have the same haircolor, while Elan's mother looked nothing like Girard (Elan's mom is not an epic level illusionist, so "doesn't look like him" at least carries a tiny bit of weight)

Or both! (but that would be too squicky and I don't think the giant would do that)

Sylthia
2010-11-20, 12:42 AM
My turn: Girard was Eugene's teacher in the art of illusion. He looks different due to age and/or an elaborate illusion.

zimmerwald1915
2010-11-20, 01:41 AM
My turn: Girard was Eugene's teacher in the art of illusion. He looks different due to age and/or an elaborate illusion.
Gerard was Fyron?

Sylthia
2010-11-20, 02:17 AM
Possibly, it's unlikely but they were both powerful illusionists, and if true, Xykon would be responsible for the death/imprisonment of 3 of the former Order of the Scribble.

shadowkiller
2010-11-20, 03:00 AM

Actually wouldn't conjuration be the best school for escaping?

Lyra Reynolds
2010-11-20, 05:53 AM
Do we know Haley's father's name? Because I wouldn't be very much surprised if "Red" is her father. He's apparently being held captive by Tarquin, and his hair colour used to be red - like Haley's. :)

And, as Elan would probably agree with me, it'd make for a nice narrative.

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 05:56 AM
Do we know Haley's father's name? Because I wouldn't be very much surprised if "Red" is her father. He's apparently being held captive by Tarquin, and his hair colour used to be red - like Haley's. :)

Yes- Ian:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

Combined with references to Miron in the most recent strip- and it seems to be a bit of a giveaway.

Unless there were two Ian's imprisoned- which seems a bit improbable.

EDIT- I'm not too good at getting when people are joking- but it has occurred to me that the above post was a joke. could have been a joke.

But wasn't. Good to know.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-11-20, 08:03 AM
Yes- Ian:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

Combined with references to Miron in the most recent strip- and it seems to be a bit of a giveaway.

Unless there were two Ian's imprisoned- which seems a bit improbable.

EDIT- I'm not too good at getting when people are joking- but it has occurred to me that the above post was a joke.

Not at all a joke, I genuinely didn't know Haley's father's name. :) Points for me for coming to the right conclusion then! XD
Thanks! :)

Irbis
2010-11-20, 08:21 AM

He lost his spellbook? :smalltongue:

snikrept
2010-11-20, 11:02 AM
LOL that's a great theory! What if
the gate is in the prison, Girard is in there guarding it pretending to be a prisoner, and the whole Tarquin team are Girard's cohorts to keep the continent in bloody chaos so nobody bothers to research history to find the gates.
After all we stil don't know how the heck someone like Tarquin knows Girard

cho_j
2010-11-20, 01:26 PM

I'm sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble remembering who/what Miron is, could anyone in the thread remind me?

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble remembering who/what Miron is, could anyone in the thread remind me?

See same strip 131- Miron Shewdanker, chancellor of Lord Tyrinar, writer of that letter.

Onyavar
2010-11-20, 08:11 PM
Now, this idea may sound pretty weird. I personally don't know how to feel about it. Plus, there's no evidence for it, really, and a lot of evidence against it.

But, what if Sara Greenhilt, known as Roys mother, is Girard??

(That's a more improbable theory than yours, I think anyone who is now thinking that Girard is somewhere in the current storyline hiding via illusions will not rule out Geoff.)
5 cp says that Rich didn't introduce any named character (yet) who is really Girard in disguise.

busterswd
2010-11-20, 10:30 PM
As long as we're going for Girard being a completely out of the blue character in disguise, I'd suggest one of the members of Tarquin's alliance. If the need ever arose, he'd have the resources handy to actually defend the gate. PLUS, Tarquin allegedly knows the guy, and someone who can change their appearance would be useful for the bait and switch.

Ryzorrin
2010-11-21, 02:48 AM
Or Tarquin is Girard, and that's how he knows him.

SaintRidley
2010-11-21, 02:58 AM
Or Tarquin is Girard, and that's how he knows him.

And unless my colour-blindness is getting in the way, he has the hair for it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)

(ignoring the whole illusions part)

busterswd
2010-11-21, 03:23 AM
Draketooth is unlikely, unless he's doing one hell of a bait and switch. The hair is different (scribble is orange, Tarq's is brown), his conduct is pretty Lawful Evil (has the Giant outright confirmed this yet?) whereas Girard is more of a chaotic neutral/good, and the convoluted schemes thing was supposed to be from the mother of the duo. Inventing an entirely new persona in order to conquer and control the territory around his gate... well, that would be fitting for a master of illusions, I guess, but it seems too much of a coincidence for me.

Alternately, this is all a master illusion on Girard's part. The explosion was actually the activation of an epic illusion spell, and the scrying eye is watching the Order in this simulation which takes bits of their own memories and creates a believable world. Once Girard sees what their intentions are, he will reveal himself and work with them!

Ugh, I hate illusion driven plot speculation.

cho_j
2010-11-21, 03:29 AM
See same strip 131- Miron Shewdanker, chancellor of Lord Tyrinar, writer of that letter.

Oh, thank you!