PDA

View Full Version : Weird Issue

Drolyt
2010-11-19, 11:23 PM
Okay, I'm having a weird issue. Not sure where I should put this question, but since it pertains mostly to reading the comics I'm putting it here, even though it is most likely a problem on my end. See, I noticed that all the black parts of the latest comic, particularly the lines separating the panels but also the black parts on characters, was showing something strange. After some investigation I think that the movie I have open in VLC Media Player is showing up in the black parts of the comic. This doesn't happen with black parts of normal webpages, and I've never noticed it in other pictures either, though perhaps I just need to find a picture with enough black. Minimizing VLC doesn't make a difference. It isn't a critical issue, but I'm curious to see if anyone knows why this is happening and why I've never noticed it anywhere else.

Yendor
2010-11-20, 12:18 AM
I think it's just an issue with the latest strip (which I mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176574)). There's a greying effect on the flashback-Haley panel, but it seems to have also affected the entire strip.

NerfTW
2010-11-20, 01:50 PM
Reboot your computer. VLC media player is still running in the background, putting the image over the areas of the screen with that color.

Drolyt
2010-11-20, 02:00 PM
Reboot your computer. VLC media player is still running in the background, putting the image over the areas of the screen with that color.
Yeah, I've got it so that it is no longer doing it, but do you have any idea why VLC was doing it? Seriously, the latest comic is the only time I've ever noticed it.

NerfTW
2010-11-20, 02:31 PM
The latest comic was a different shade of black than other ones. It just happened to be the same color the VLC player uses to decide where to draw the video, most likely. I know this used to happen with my DVD player software way back in the late 90's. I believe it has something to do with using a different part of the video card to display the video than the rest of the screen.

You probably just never noticed it before.

Drolyt
2010-11-20, 02:51 PM
The latest comic was a different shade of black than other ones. It just happened to be the same color the VLC player uses to decide where to draw the video, most likely. I know this used to happen with my DVD player software way back in the late 90's. I believe it has something to do with using a different part of the video card to display the video than the rest of the screen.

You probably just never noticed it before.
That makes some sense.