PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Thinking Laterally

Kairyu
2010-11-20, 12:39 AM
I cast Sculpt Sound on myself, to make each echo of my footfalls sound like the wails of the damned. I then cast Invisibility to make myself vanish, and Haste to quicken my steps. And finally... I run at the enemy and just zig-zag through them like mad until they run, soil themselves, or pass out. Whichever comes first, I'm not fussy.

Got any other creative uses for spells?

jguy
2010-11-20, 01:38 PM
Cast Wall of Stone several times to form squares and Shape Stone to form them into 1 giant cube. This should way about 20,000 pounds or so, more if you have a higher casting level.

Cast shrink item on the cube so it goes down to 5 pounds. Give the cube to someone with good throwing ability or fly above someone. Drop or throw the cube and let the cube grow back to normal size. You have just hit someone with a 20 ton house

Angry Bob
2010-11-20, 04:19 PM
Petrify willing ally. Stone shape. remove petrification. Ally now has fifty tentacle attacks.

jguy
2010-11-20, 04:22 PM
or 50 useless fleshy tubes hanging from them and a sudden loss of muscle mass and nutrients as having tentacles doesn't mean they are usable or even connected to your nervous system.

Private-Prinny
2010-11-20, 04:32 PM
Prestidigitation to design a new outfit. Just use it to change the colors on the fabric. Combine with a Shiftweave for extra fun.

Galsiah
2010-11-20, 07:26 PM
At lower levels I like to use Mage Hand to kill enemies with other enemies' dropped under-5-pound weapons. Also, I'm a kobold so I ride around on a Tenser's Floating Disk.

gbprime
2010-11-21, 01:04 AM
Demolition Charge... This was prepared by our Dweomerkeeper (Cloistered Cleric 1 / Elf Domain Wizard 5 / Geometer 2 / Dweomerkeeper 2).

He had been casting Explosive Runes on peices of paper off and on for weeks and had saved up about 20 of them. They're safe for him to read, and he's been keeping them in his Handy Haversack. We came up to a portcullis guarded by bugbears.

He put the 20 Explosive Runes in a small box, and used a scroll of Glyph of Warding (which he can use as a Wiz spell from Geometer) to put a Dispel Ward (CL 1) on it, triggered by the presence of goblinoids. Then Mage Hand slid the box into place.

THe Glyph is activated, fires off the Dispel Ward, which statistically fails to dispel 19 of the Explosive Runes. Boom. 19 explosive runes go off, killing 3 bugbears and (More importantly) blowing a massive hole in the portcullis.

He then slides another (completely ordinary) box over to the area, and the remaining bugbears flee from it.:smallbiggrin:

opticalshadow
2010-11-21, 03:29 PM
a good bluff check ghost sound (or some other voice or sound emitting spell) preditigitaion and maybe light spell can convince an entire orc party that their war camp is on haunted grounds and if they dont go ghosts will come and kill them.

if you have a high sneak skill and can get to be a tiny creature (such as druid wildshape) large enough cretures can be climbed inside of, and pending on dm, un wild shaping will kill them (climb in their ear or nose or even the mouth)

get control over the undead, get some incorperal beings put them in a bag of holding (easier travel if you control them you dont really need to do it so much) have them kill things for you, almost no creatures in the mm's can actually fight incorperal creatures, a cr4 shade would theoretically stand toe to toe with the terasque indeffinitly,

Greenish
2010-11-21, 07:39 PM
Sculpt Spell'ed Solid Fog as a 120' line.

What can't you do with that? :smallamused:

mabriss lethe
2010-11-21, 10:45 PM
-Bestow Curse- You can do nearly anything with it. Really. I mean it.
Read it for yourself. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm)

BIGMamaSloth
2010-11-21, 11:43 PM
flesh to stone.
rock to mud.
purify the mud with purify food and drink.
Bottoms up!

(I remember hearing this one in several places before but can not for the life of me remember where or by who.)

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-22, 12:38 AM

That's a real problem with that spell. I had some difficulty handling it as a DM when one of my players wanted to do stuff. I mean... is a phobia an appropriate curse? And so on. (seriously, a phobia sounds less debilitating than 50% chance on not being able to do stuff every 6 seconds, until you realize that you could give someone a phobia of their (the victim's) own abilities. Such as making a pyro-caster afraid of fire.)

bannable
2010-11-22, 12:43 AM

See also (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21940033/Greatest_uses_of_Bestow_Curse)...

What a great example of a dangerous spell.

opticalshadow
2010-11-22, 01:02 AM
That's a real problem with that spell. I had some difficulty handling it as a DM when one of my players wanted to do stuff. I mean... is a phobia an appropriate curse? And so on. (seriously, a phobia sounds less debilitating than 50% chance on not being able to do stuff every 6 seconds, until you realize that you could give someone a phobia of their (the victim's) own abilities. Such as making a pyro-caster afraid of fire.)

RAW that spell like many spells can be a nightmare for dm's and some players wish to abuse that, one thing i have always told my players, and when needed i provided some example at the table, and it reallse does stop them from trying to be abuseive is this, "whatever you can do, the enemy can, and your enemy will have much more resources, numbers, and advatages then you will"

if they want to walk around with quivers full of maxed lesser shiv touch arrows and kill dragons all day and take loot fine, but don cry when you get ambushed by 10 elves with the same arrows and open fire, want to constently teleport onto sleeping enemies, go ahead, do it enough someone will catch on, and if you want to curse the leader of the invading army with the mortal terror in giving orders that take lives fine, but if his wizard curses your fighter to fear wearing armor again, you were warned.

i dont mind creativity, and i applad it, i dont mind useing those back ally cheese tactics when needed or for fun, but if every encounter you walk around with a ten foot pole made of cheese, just remember, you are out powered.

Tetsubo 57
2010-11-22, 08:07 AM
or 50 useless fleshy tubes hanging from them and a sudden loss of muscle mass and nutrients as having tentacles doesn't mean they are usable or even connected to your nervous system.

I prefer, "The PC screams in unrelenting agony as they experience the pain of having their body torn asunder."

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-22, 10:08 AM
flesh to stone.
rock to mud.
purify the mud with purify food and drink.
Bottoms up!

(I remember hearing this one in several places before but can not for the life of me remember where or by who.)

Short version:
Fireball
Bottoms up!

Tetsubo 57
2010-11-22, 10:12 AM
Short version:
Fireball
Bottoms up!

No, no.

Flesh to stone.
Rock to mud.
Mud pool to rock.
Stone to flesh.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Or:
Rock to mud, let enemy sink a bit.
Mud to rock.
Get out the weed whacker!

gbprime
2010-11-22, 10:23 AM
A much easier process would be...

Dulark's Glass Strike
Shatter
Pay a craftsman to make a stained glass window from the remains (and hurry, because it only lasts 1 hour per level!)

And no less evil. :smallamused:

Jallorn
2010-11-22, 10:24 AM
No, no.

Flesh to stone.
Rock to mud.
Mud pool to rock.
Stone to flesh.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Or:
Rock to mud, let enemy sink a bit.
Mud to rock.
Get out the weed whacker!

nonono.

Flesh to Stone
Stone to Mud
Purify Water
Have the Barbarian drink the water, the character is technically not dead, but can also never be revived short of divine intervention.

grimbold
2010-11-22, 11:19 AM
right so

flesh to stone
stone to mud
mud to water
drink your tasty drink

Lapak
2010-11-22, 11:52 AM
nonono.

Flesh to Stone
Stone to Mud
Purify Water
Have the Barbarian drink the water, the character is technically not dead, but can also never be revived short of divine intervention.I know RAW doesn't cover this, but it doesn't cover a lot of things. In any game I've played in or run they're going to be considered 'dead' as soon as you annihilate the statue (probably when you Stone to Mud, almost certainly when you Purify Water, absolutely when the water is drunk) just as surely as if you'd turned them to stone and then Disintegrated the statue and scattered the ashes. You'll need a True Resurrection or something to overcome the lack of a body, but I don't see any reasonable person assuming that the spirit stays suspended after the shell it's suspended in is utterly destroyed. Flesh to Stone is a 6th-level spell, and this ruling would make it more effectual at soul-trapping than Trap the Soul. That just doesn't scan.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 12:05 PM
It doesn't work.
Rock to Mud can only be cast on "natural, uncut or unworked rock of any sort." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuterocktomud.htm)
So? Lateral thinking. Need to get somewhere and you can only take so many, say the scroll of teleport is too low level? Into the bag of holding you all go. Only one freedom of movement spell while going underwater for a a few rounds? Into the Bag of Holding you all go. Not enough seats in the folding boat? Into the Bag of Holding you all go.
Just be sure to stow, sheath and cover all pointy objects before entering Bag of Holding.

gbprime
2010-11-22, 01:05 PM
It doesn't work.
Rock to Mud can only be cast on "natural, uncut or unworked rock of any sort." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuterocktomud.htm)
So? Lateral thinking. Need to get somewhere and you can only take so many, say the scroll of teleport is too low level? Into the bag of holding you all go. Only one freedom of movement spell while going underwater for a a few rounds? Into the Bag of Holding you all go. Not enough seats in the folding boat? Into the Bag of Holding you all go.
Just be sure to stow, sheath and cover all pointy objects before entering Bag of Holding.

You can do it at 7th level too. Lesser Planar Ally. Summon a Hound Archon, have him teleport with the bag of holding you're all riding in. Just costs a bit of or a service to convince him to do this non-combat task.

That... and finding an entire party comfortable with climbing into a bag of holding while some summoned creature promises to let them back out... :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 01:10 PM
You can do it at 7th level too. Lesser Planar Ally. Summon a Hound Archon, have him teleport with the bag of holding you're all riding in. Just costs a bit of or a service to convince him to do this non-combat task.

That... and finding an entire party comfortable with climbing into a bag of holding while some summoned creature promises to let them back out... :smallbiggrin:
I think a hound archon can generally be trusted with such matters.
My favourite I heard about, not ried was the one of getting in a bag of holding, then dropping down a hole. Since your in an extra dimensional space, you're not moving, only the bag is, so you take no damage from the fall. Cat girls died for this.

gbprime
2010-11-22, 01:13 PM
My favourite I heard about, not ried was the one of getting in a bag of holding, then dropping down a hole. Since your in an extra dimensional space, you're not moving, only the bag is, so you take no damage from the fall.

That works right up until you drop through a hole that has a dispelling screen set up in it to protect against flying and levitating intruders...

Heliomance
2010-11-22, 01:15 PM
I know RAW doesn't cover this, but it doesn't cover a lot of things. In any game I've played in or run they're going to be considered 'dead' as soon as you annihilate the statue (probably when you Stone to Mud, almost certainly when you Purify Water, absolutely when the water is drunk) just as surely as if you'd turned them to stone and then Disintegrated the statue and scattered the ashes. You'll need a True Resurrection or something to overcome the lack of a body, but I don't see any reasonable person assuming that the spirit stays suspended after the shell it's suspended in is utterly destroyed. Flesh to Stone is a 6th-level spell, and this ruling would make it more effectual at soul-trapping than Trap the Soul. That just doesn't scan.

Actually, RAW does cover it. A Flesh to Stoned target explicitly doesn't die, no matter the damage to the statue, until they are unpetrified again.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 01:21 PM
That works right up until you drop through a hole that has a dispelling screen set up in it to protect against flying and levitating intruders...
Yes, but if your just dropping down a hole, in a natural cave network, if you encounter something like that your DM is being a <expletive redacted/>. It doesn't even unbalance the game as you almost certainly have to go back up at some point. It's just a bit of a short cut.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-22, 01:29 PM
Invisiblity
Mage Hand
Sepia Snake Sigil

Cast Mage Hand to hold out a Sepia Snake Sigil for an enemy while you approach them invisibly. Put a failed enemy into your bag of holding, rinse and repeat.

You now have a bag of holding full of monsters that you can sell or unleash on your enemies while Invisible.

Lapak
2010-11-22, 01:30 PM
Actually, RAW does cover it. A Flesh to Stoned target explicitly doesn't die, no matter the damage to the statue, until they are unpetrified again.No, it doesn't. The spell description covers what happens if the statue is 'broken or damaged'; it says nothing about what happens if the statue is utterly destroyed or, critically, if it is itself transfigured. So the rules-as-written don't cover Rock to Mud.

If people are going to use strict readings of the rules, they have to use them as written - and the rules don't cover the situation being described.

Heliomance
2010-11-22, 01:39 PM
"Utterly destroyed" is a subset of "broken or damaged".

Don't believe me? Take a statue. Take a sledgehammer to said statue. Keep going until you are left with fine dust, similar to the result of a Disintigrate spell. At what point is the transition made from "broken or damaged" to "completely destroyed"? At what point, exactly, would the soul escape?

grimbold
2010-11-22, 01:45 PM
It doesn't work.

ok
cast create water repeatedly to wear down the rock then rock to mud

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 01:57 PM
ok
cast create water repeatedly to wear down the rock then rock to mud
By wearing it down with water, you're 'working' it, however unorthodoxly. This trick does not work.

Lapak
2010-11-22, 02:00 PM
"Utterly destroyed" is a subset of "broken or damaged".

Don't believe me? Take a statue. Take a sledgehammer to said statue. Keep going until you are left with fine dust, similar to the result of a Disintigrate spell. At what point is the transition made from "broken or damaged" to "completely destroyed"? At what point, exactly, would the soul escape?If you want to go by straight-up RAW? I suppose you'd have to calculate the HP for a stone object the size of a statue and figure out how many sledgehammer strikes it takes to bring it to 0 hp. Same a smashing down a wall or a door, where the difference between 'damaged' and 'destroyed' is quite distinct indeed.

And even that doesn't address transfiguration, which isn't damage in any sense of the word. Should we take this to private messages or a new thread? I didn't intend to derail us so completely when I first posted in this thread.

Toliudar
2010-11-22, 02:07 PM
By wearing it down with water, you're 'working' it, however unorthodoxly. This trick does not work.

You're reading "natural, unworked or uncut" to mean "natural and unworked and uncut." An equally reasonable reading would be "natural" or "unworked" or "uncut". Since a flesh to stone statue has not been cut, it would still qualify.

By your logic, practically any stone surface that has been walked on, scraped with a sword or struck with an arrow has been "worked", and would thus be ineligible.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 02:15 PM
You're reading "natural, unworked or uncut" to mean "natural and unworked and uncut." An equally reasonable reading would be "natural" or "unworked" or "uncut". Since a flesh to stone statue has not been cut, it would still qualify.

By your logic, practically any stone surface that has been walked on, scraped with a sword or struck with an arrow has been "worked", and would thus be ineligible.
Well, that stone was created magically, so it's defiantly not naturally stone. Also, worked implies an international marring. If you are trying to carve a statue by shooting arrows at it, then it's worked. Your trying to wear down stone with magic? That's also worked. You shoot an arrow and it misses? Well ,by RAW, nothing happens, an non-magical arrow just breaks, and a magical one has a 50 % chance of doing so.

opticalshadow
2010-11-22, 06:28 PM
Invisiblity
Mage Hand
Sepia Snake Sigil

Cast Mage Hand to hold out a Sepia Snake Sigil for an enemy while you approach them invisibly. Put a failed enemy into your bag of holding, rinse and repeat.

You now have a bag of holding full of monsters that you can sell or unleash on your enemies while Invisible.

from my knowing of the spell that wouldnt quite work, as a dread necro i am famous for having bags full of incorps or skellies and such for emergencies, and you could do that (a bag of shades will beat almost everythign of any level, since most mm's creatures cant hit incorp) but you couldnt put a living creature in the bag long as they would run out of air quickly. i could be wrong but thats how ive always read it and had it played, but the undead still work (or anythign that doesnt breathe)

as an alternitive if you can get a c02 breathing creature and an oxy creature you could swing it too.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 06:36 PM
Sepia snake sigil puts the creature in stasis, no O2 required. And even if it didn't, bottle of air anyone?

HunterOfJello
2010-11-22, 06:38 PM
from my knowing of the spell that wouldnt quite work, as a dread necro i am famous for having bags full of incorps or skellies and such for emergencies, and you could do that (a bag of shades will beat almost everythign of any level, since most mm's creatures cant hit incorp) but you couldnt put a living creature in the bag long as they would run out of air quickly. i could be wrong but thats how ive always read it and had it played, but the undead still work (or anythign that doesnt breathe)

as an alternitive if you can get a c02 breathing creature and an oxy creature you could swing it too.

A creature under the effects of the Sepia Snake Sigil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sepiasnakesigil.htm) is perfectly fine inside a Bag of Holding. The SRD states that, "While trapped in the amber field of force, the subject does not age, breathe, grow hungry, sleep, or regain spells."

You just have to make sure that you take them out of the bag before the spell ends on its own. Otherwise they'll suffocate or break the bag from the inside.

opticalshadow
2010-11-22, 08:09 PM
i confused stasis with paralize when i was recalling the sigal, my bad, however i still maintain a bag of shades would more then likly be more useful (and likely to get your trick banned) then living creatures just because of the inability to comabt them and the ease of aquireing.

nedz
2010-11-22, 08:45 PM
Flesh to Stone
Stone Shape

Turn them into a large paving slab and you can walk all over them laterally :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 08:56 PM
Flesh to Stone
Stone Shape

Turn them into a large paving slab and you can walk all over them laterally :smallbiggrin:
Yes, and stone shape makes no mention of worked stone or other qualifiers. "You made a better door then a window . . . until now!"

Necroticplague
2010-11-29, 10:09 AM
Use control body ,solicit psicrystal, Schism, and fission to give the action economy a big middle finger.