PDA

View Full Version : Desert Bus for Hope

Mr. Moon
2010-11-20, 01:49 AM
For those of you who don't know, LoadingReadyRun is a comedy troupe from Victoria, British Columbia. They're really funny, and put out three different videos a week, usually video-game related.
Every year they do a charity drive for Child's Play called Desert Bus for Hope. Basically they do play the world's worst video game and do demeaning **** for donations. There's also auctions, so you can get a lot of really awesome swag if you're lucky.
So far they literally just started today, and they've already raised $12,537 dollars.
Check it out. It's for a great cause and there's a lot of funny moments.
www.desertbus.org

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 05:12 AM
Yeeeeaaaaah! I've been watching for the last several hours. They're up to $14,624 now. Octopimp just mentioned a $1000 challenge...so that's going to be fun.

So yeah. Desert Bus for Hope is fantastic. It's got a live feed, and a chat, and it's loads of fun to watch!

Jibar
2010-11-20, 05:33 AM
Yeah, I'm glued already.
Plus, OCTOPIMP, SAVIOUR OF CHILDREN, has already appeared and promised great things and made claims to auctions. Octopimp is just plain amazing.

Comet
2010-11-20, 05:46 AM
I stayed up until 6 AM to catch the first two hours of fun, got five hours of sleep and am now sitting back to watch them for an hour or so before I need to start doing productive things for a while.

Thank G*d for weekends, this is the first time I am actually watching Desert Bus live.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-11-20, 10:15 AM
Desert bus, I'm real happy for you and I'm'a let you finish (I'm'a even hope you raise a lotta moneys) but your ads over on the escapist are some of the most annoying ads of all time. OF ALL TIME. :smallwink:

Seriously, Desert Bus is awesome, but those ads are annoying beyond belief ... especially to those of us with slower internet :smallannoyed:

Dogmantra
2010-11-20, 10:24 AM
I took part in a Desert Bus marathon inspired by this once (though there were four of us, we went for 24 hours and obviously lacking internet-wide advertising, raised a lot less). Let me tell you two things: firstly, it is not fun. Secondly, since it's such a low resolution game, the yellow lines in the middle of the road are quite blocky and start looking like little yellow men in hats walking down the stairs after a while. It's disturbing.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-20, 11:22 AM
I'm watching it. If I wasn't poor I might actually donate.

V'icternus
2010-11-20, 12:45 PM
I'm watching!
But as for donating, I have not credit card or PayPal account. :smallredface:
Also my Australian Dollars are ever so slightly less valuable than the American Dollars they desire.

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 01:01 PM
I may likely donate at some point. I'm helping pay for a challenge for them to do a dramatic reading of the metroid conspircy, an awful fanfic. I'm also drawing Norse Bindrunes for the crew! :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2010-11-20, 01:07 PM
I may likely donate at some point. I'm helping pay for a challenge for them to do a dramatic reading of the metroid conspircy, an awful fanfic. I'm also drawing Norse Bindrunes for the crew! :smallbiggrin:

Hey, that was you in the chat. Took a while to get their attention.

Yeah, I saw your every 30 seconds spam. Well done. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-11-20, 01:08 PM
Desert bus, I'm real happy for you and I'm'a let you finish (I'm'a even hope you raise a lotta moneys) but your ads over on the escapist are some of the most annoying ads of all time. OF ALL TIME. :smallwink:

Seriously, Desert Bus is awesome, but those ads are annoying beyond belief ... especially to those of us with slower internet :smallannoyed:

Yes very much so. I guess I can tolerate it because it's a good cause. :smallwink:

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 02:51 PM
Yeah, well, I knew they'd answer if they saw it, and at the speed of chat I wasn't surprised they didn't. But, eventually, they did. Now I just need initials for Tally, Bill, and Andy and I'll be done. I felt bad for the spam, but as it wasn't being seen, well, hey. I'll keep going.

skywalker
2010-11-20, 06:03 PM
Ah, Desert Bus. It's not Christmas until the Desert Bus for Hope marathon!

Jibar
2010-11-20, 06:18 PM
Yeah, well, I knew they'd answer if they saw it, and at the speed of chat I wasn't surprised they didn't. But, eventually, they did. Now I just need initials for Tally, Bill, and Andy and I'll be done. I felt bad for the spam, but as it wasn't being seen, well, hey. I'll keep going.

Hey, it's the only way to get their attention at that kind of time.
I was trying to ask them if anyone'd seen Octopimp while you're were asking too, and then when I gave up and left chat, OCTOPIMP APPEARED!

It was pretty awesome.

I also feel so sorry for James right now, he seems dead inside after all this bussing.

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 07:16 PM
Yeah, but he'll manage. And as soon as his shift is done he gets to hang out and watch the next FOUR. Or five. We'll see how incredible this year gets...

I managed to finish my big set of Norse Bindrunes. Note: the LRR crew have awesome names. Like Tally, whose full name is Natalia Mai Lorraine Heilke. And Graham Stuart Rupert Stark. It's pretty great.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-20, 07:21 PM
I'm really enjoying this fanfic reading. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 07:42 PM
I helped pay for that! Fayili is a good friend of mine, who came up with the idea, and I chipped in towards it. It's quite a fantastic choice for a dramatic reading.

Comet
2010-11-20, 08:43 PM
I happened to open the desert bus stream just as they were auctioning Yahtzee's Mogworld-book. The second auction was insane. Also, I should really be sleeping but I figured that since I stayed up late to catch the beginning of this I might as well see James' driving through to the end.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-20, 08:51 PM
I happened to open the desert bus stream just as they were auctioning Yahtzee's Mogworld-book. The second auction was insane. Also, I should really be sleeping but I figured that since I stayed up late to catch the beginning of this I might as well see James' driving through to the end.

Bloody hell, I know. :smalleek:
My jaw literally dropped when it hit five-hundred, and...
Bloody hell. .-.

Edit: Bloody hell, did you guys see that? No Death is loaded. :smalleek:

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 09:25 PM
Yeah! The goomba blanket bid is going to be awesome, cause I do believe we've got three epic high bidders on it. Octopimp shall rise once more!

So yeah, current auction record is at $1100. We shall see!

skywalker
2010-11-20, 11:26 PM
I went away for a couple hours to watch football, apparently I missed something good?

Icewalker
2010-11-20, 11:34 PM
Possibly. Did you miss Yahtzee's call in? They auctioned off two of his books, signed, which went for $240 and for $1100.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-21, 01:03 AM
That Mogworld auction was ridiculous. Don't they realize that this book has been available for months???

Mr. Moon
2010-11-21, 01:15 AM
It's not the book, though. It's the Children.

Also, Yahtzee helped a bit.
And good old competitive spirit of rich people.

Icewalker
2010-11-21, 01:37 AM
Mostly that last part! If I was wealthy I would be having so much fun with bidding wars in here.

Eldan
2010-11-21, 09:22 AM
I somehow can't get it running... the feed video every few seconds. It's very annoying, and i have no idea why. I can watch other life streams no problem.

skywalker
2010-11-22, 03:02 AM
Does anybody know how many times they've crashed this time?

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 03:06 AM
Only once so far. During James' shift, they tried to summon Cthulhu, and the controller got unplugged by some accident, and so the bus stalled out and overheated and that's a death requiring a tow.

skywalker
2010-11-22, 03:24 AM
Only once so far. During James' shift, they tried to summon Cthulhu, and the controller got unplugged by some accident, and so the bus stalled out and overheated and that's a death requiring a tow.

I'm really impressed Morgan didn't once crash.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-22, 12:05 PM
Heads up, guys, the goomba blanket is going on auction tonight.

It's gonna be awesome.

Edit: Also, Andy's here! =D

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 01:28 PM
Ooh, Andy's here?

Yeah, that blanket's gonna be awesome.

Also, there's a custom to your choice fedora that I'm going to bid on, although I won't go past 100, and that hesitatingly, so I'm sure I'll get outbid on somebody's opening bid. But I'm going to contact the artist and see if I can buy a custom one from her (I'm pretty sure the one up for auction is too small for me anyway...)

Comet
2010-11-22, 02:00 PM
Logged on just in time to see Andy singing the Desert Bus song. Somehow it seems that whenever I log on, there's something mindblowingly awesome going on. Am I lucky or what? That, or there's something awesome going on in there all the time.

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 03:32 PM
Nope, it's the last bit. Always something amazing. Often Dale, who is SO FANTASTIC. Dale and Andy did a duet on 16 Tons, which was incredible...

Jibar
2010-11-22, 04:34 PM
Nope, it's the last bit. Always something amazing. Often Dale, who is SO FANTASTIC. Dale and Andy did a duet on 16 Tons, which was incredible...

Last year, first time I watched Desert Bus, the first thing I saw was Dale singing Modern Major General. I was hooked forever more.

Speaking of which, I want to play video games, but they keep doing awesome things so I daren't close the stream. It's so difficult!

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 05:23 PM
Hehehe, well, apparently Dale and Andy are preparing some kind of epic duet. So I'm excited. I should be working on memorizing the monologue which I have to do for an audition tonight, but, no, Desert Bus.

But I'm good at memorizing and I know most of it...

Elaro
2010-11-22, 06:02 PM
Oughtn't we challenge Andy to sing "O Buddy Roy"?

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 06:04 PM
We could, we could. Although they only tend to take songs they know...

Mr. Moon
2010-11-22, 06:10 PM
I'm getting Dale to read a Hamlet speech. ^^
Looking forward to it, I think they're going to do it once they get off the phone with Susan Ardnt.

Icewalker
2010-11-22, 06:22 PM
Excellence. I'm thinking I am going to challenge for Dale to read Charge of the Light Brigade.

God, Bill! He started the iron stomach challenge so young. Apparently starting from like the moment he was born, he ate a stuff ranging from a frog, his shoes, a bite out of a glass...

Mr. Moon
2010-11-23, 01:32 AM
XD
Are you watching the story time right now?
My Lord, I love Bill's Mom.
Magic pocket... XD

skywalker
2010-11-23, 01:41 AM
XD
Are you watching the story time right now?
My Lord, I love Bill's Mom.
Magic pocket... XD

Whenever I go somewhere sketchy, I wear pants with a magic pocket and keep some money in there, just in case somebody shakes me down.

I never thought anybody knew about the magic pocket besides me.

EDIT: So far, we have had James, Morgan, Jeremy, and Bill?

Icewalker
2010-11-23, 03:33 AM
Yup! And I believe we then have Kathleen, and then James again, and so forth.

Also, Desert Bus has convinced me that I need a custom painted fedora. The one they're offering will go into hundreds as an opening bid which I can't handle, and also I'm not sure the artist is ideal for what I'm after (having looked at a bit of her art). But I definitely want a custom painted fedora...

leakingpen
2010-11-23, 11:24 AM
I always wonder if they ever tell Penn and Teller about this. You know they would donate just for the laughs.

Jibar
2010-11-23, 11:36 AM
I always wonder if they ever tell Penn and Teller about this. You know they would donate just for the laughs.

Actually, Penn showed up in the chat randomly, and to prove it was him he called them and just talked while he was driving home. He did a big donation, and is putting together a Desert Bus Experience for auction; a bunch of Nevada sand, bus tickets for the real bus route signed by Penn and Teller and some other stuff.
He also said that he hopes to actually free some time next year and come down and drive the bus for a while, which would be the first time he's ever actually played the game.

Also, Bill is officially the worst driver.

Icewalker
2010-11-24, 12:47 AM
That he is. I'm not sure how much they're going to pass last year's record by, I'm not sure it'll keep up with the rate in the past. 22k, 70k, 140k? They'd need to probably get past 200k to keep the same kind of curve, and I'm not sure they'll make it there...

Comet
2010-11-25, 06:09 PM
It is finished.
And it was so much fun.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-25, 06:23 PM
That he is. I'm not sure how much they're going to pass last year's record by, I'm not sure it'll keep up with the rate in the past. 22k, 70k, 140k? They'd need to probably get past 200k to keep the same kind of curve, and I'm not sure they'll make it there...

And yet they did. :smallcool:
Well, not quite, but once all the e-checks clear (I sent a few myself), I'm optimistic that they'll be really close.

That was amazing. I'm so proud of LRR and the LRR community, and especially happy for the other people who don't even know what a LRR is who came in and watched. I just managed to get home in time for the tail end of the cast, and Adobe crashed right at the end, so I missed them turn the camera off. =c

Now I'm going to watch the lava bears, because I missed half of it.

Eldan
2010-11-25, 06:26 PM
Is there a place where we can still watch it? I remember that they put excerpts up last time. The stream really wasn't working for me.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-25, 06:55 PM
The stream is turned off, but there are probably clips already floating around Youtube.

Jibar
2010-11-25, 06:58 PM
Thank GOD it is over. Now I can go back to having a life.
I spent every waking minute not in a lecture glued to the stream. If my laptop has been on, that stream has been running.
Now I can sleep and not worry I'm missing out on stuff.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-25, 07:13 PM
... I just got banned from the chat by LittleKuriboh for talking about bra sizes.
Fack yeah.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-25, 07:19 PM
I'd let LittleKuriboh ban me any day... >=3

skywalker
2010-11-26, 12:24 AM
That was amazing. I'm so proud of LRR and the LRR community, and especially happy for the other people who don't even know what a LRR is who came in and watched. I just managed to get home in time for the tail end of the cast, and Adobe crashed right at the end, so I missed them turn the camera off. =c

Buscam stayed on for a while, I watched the tow for a bit, but the flashing lights of the truck were REALLY annoying.

tbug
2010-11-29, 11:33 PM
I'm getting Dale to read a Hamlet speech. ^^
Looking forward to it, I think they're going to do it once they get off the phone with Susan Ardnt.

Sorry that this never happened. :( There was some confusion about that challenge and somehow it never happened. Which speech would it have been?

The stream is turned off, but there are probably clips already floating around Youtube.

Indeed, someone is compiling a list of clip links (http://snurps.blogspot.com/p/desert-bus-4-video-captures.html).

Mr. Moon
2010-11-29, 11:50 PM
Sorry that this never happened. :( There was some confusion about that challenge and somehow it never happened. Which speech would it have been?

Hamlet's first speech. "Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt."
Next year I want to get Jer and Tally to sing A Whole New World. :smallsmile:

Indeed, someone is compiling a list of clip links (http://snurps.blogspot.com/p/desert-bus-4-video-captures.html).

o.o
Thankiees.

Edit:
Wait.
Your sig.
You aren't...? o.o?

tbug
2010-11-30, 12:14 AM

Thank-you so much for the kind words, Icewalker! We had a lot of fun this year. :smallbiggrin: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Mr. Moon
2010-11-30, 12:27 AM
Good sir, are you or are you not Dale?
Because if you are, I demand proof.
Preferably in the form of a Hamlet speech.
Yus. Yus this will do nicely. >>

tbug
2010-11-30, 12:40 AM

Well, I'm a Dale. For a while with Loading Ready Run I was "the other Dale", since I was the second one to work with them. I think the first Dale left town though so now I'm the only one people seem to know. My last name is Friesen, if that helps, and I think I'm the only Dale who did dramatic readings in DB4.

You mean you want me to record an mp3 of the speech? Did you pay for it but it never happened? We're in the middle of a bit of a windstorm here in Victoria, but I could try to do it tomorrow when there will theoretically be less background noise.

I like the Whole New World idea, btw. I think Tally and Jeremy would do a great job of it together.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-30, 12:48 AM
That's the one I'm thinking of.
And in that case.
I love you man.
You are like, my vocal hero.

Yeah, I did pay, and as far as I know, you guys never did it.
And if you could do an MP3 for it... Fack. I'd be the happiest fangirl in the world. X3

tbug
2010-11-30, 01:02 AM
Well I can hardly back out now. :)

I don't know if I'll be able to do the recording tomorrow, but I'll get it done as soon as I can. Please send me a private message here (or Facebook, or Twitter, or someplace) and give me an e-mail address where I can send it.

And thanks so much for the kind words!

Mr. Moon
2010-11-30, 01:19 AM
Take your time. Looking forward to this is going to make this whole damn week awesome.
Sent you a private message. =3

And you're so very welcome! Thanks so much for posting here, you have no idea how cool this is. X3

Icewalker
2010-11-30, 02:12 AM
Thaaaaat's aaaawesome. Love that you've shown up here. Your voice is most excellent, sir.

I am putting into place a series of cunning plots that may possibly allow for a visit to Desert Bus 5...so if that pans out, I look forward to meeting you (and hopefully singing with you)! Otherwise, I will simply continue to praise you from behind the internets, on which I most commonly go by Dancing Fox. :smallbiggrin:

tbug
2010-11-30, 11:53 AM
Oughtn't we challenge Andy to sing "O Buddy Roy"?

That would have been epic. I also would have sung it, if Andy couldn't. I would try hard not to get emotional. (I cried when it was first posted.)

We could, we could. Although they only tend to take songs they know...

We try to take as many challenges as possible, and we can do more songs we know than songs we don't. That said, I learned at least four songs for this DB, so if there's something you really want to hear you can always send in the proposal. Of course, if you really want to hear it you might consider giving your singer of choice more than a few minutes notice. For example, there are more than a few minutes between right now and the beginning of the next Desert Bus... ;)

Thaaaaat's aaaawesome. Love that you've shown up here. Your voice is most excellent, sir.

Why thank-you, sir! I'm delighted to have entertained!

I am putting into place a series of cunning plots that may possibly allow for a visit to Desert Bus 5...so if that pans out, I look forward to meeting you (and hopefully singing with you)!

Sounds fun! Do you have a song in mind? What's your vocal range?

Icewalker
2010-11-30, 01:15 PM
I am a bass as well. I need to get some real vocal training though. I can't say I have anything in particular I was thinking of to sing...Johnny Cash is always fun. Musicals. Pirate songs (did Barret's Privateers end up happening? Great shanty). There's no end of wonderful things to sing.

Thinking about it, it looks like my cunning plan is more set up to get me to Desert Bus 6 than to 5. I suppose that just gives me more time to prepare... I may have really picked up saxophone by then.

tbug
2010-12-01, 09:31 PM

I e-mailed this off last night. Did you get it?

I am a bass as well. I need to get some real vocal training though. I can't say I have anything in particular I was thinking of to sing...Johnny Cash is always fun. Musicals. Pirate songs (did Barret's Privateers end up happening? Great shanty). There's no end of wonderful things to sing.

I don't know if it ever happened this year, but it could certainly happen next. :) Johnny Cash also works.

For other pirate songs, I was thinking I might sing I Am a Pirate King from Pirates of Penzance, assuming I could get a guy or two to sing backup for me. I don't have to sing it all myself though, of course.

Mr. Moon
2010-12-01, 11:01 PM
Oh, sorry. I've been busy with school work so I haven't had a chance to reply yet.
The file is fantastic, thank you so much again. ^^

Icewalker
2010-12-02, 03:33 AM
Seems a pretty fantastic choice. There's no end of options, and I'm sure viewers will have ever more. I'm guessing it'll be two years before I drop by, which is unfortunate, but it means more time to prepare. :smalltongue: I am constantly learning things...I intend to challenge Alex to a duel of magic, if I can.