PDA

View Full Version : Evoker Pathfinder

BobVosh
2010-11-20, 02:57 AM
1. Yes I have read GOD, and Batman wizards. Also what Treantmonk has for PF wizards
2. I am well aware that this will be subpar compared to other options

That quickly out of the way, I'm going to make an evoker for pathfinder. Unfortunately I am limited to the core book, and advanced player's guide. I may be able to get the PFCS in as well, however I haven't asked. Also I doubt it, but if anything is in it that I really need to care about as an evoker please mention it.

Going evocation spec, banning divination and necromancy, along with the APG's Admixturer's School. This will let me get around immunities a few times per day at least. Also probably going to be an Elf and use the substitution for favored class to get even more energy substitution. So it will be 3 + Intelligence mod + 1/2 wizard level per day.

My question is thus: What are the best spells for this, and what feats should I look into? I'm obviously going to double focus evocation, probably pick up both spell penetrations, and definitely going to have fun with dazing spell. Which metamagics are really worth it?

Sinfonian
2010-11-20, 05:05 AM
Posting here to remind myself to give some input later. I'll look back when I'm more conscious.

Also, I never noticed that you can ban divination in PF, whereas that's not possible in 3.5.

BobVosh
2010-11-20, 07:04 AM
Posting here to remind myself to give some input later. I'll look back when I'm more conscious.

Also, I never noticed that you can ban divination in PF, whereas that's not possible in 3.5.

It surprised me as well, until I realized most of the reasons you couldn't ban divination in 3.5 is the fluff of how you need read magic etc to memorize spells. Now you can do that, it just takes two slots.

Oh also why do people keep saying a familiar is better than a arcane bonded item? I don't understand why that could be.

Sinfonian
2010-11-21, 12:57 PM
As promised, I did a little bit of looking and here's stuff I saw that looked appealing.

Ok, here's what I've seen for feats:
Selective Spell (let you use AoEs with reckless abandon)
Dazing Spell (fun status effect to throw around, alas for being a +3 metamagic though)
Empower Spell (always handy)
Quicken Spell (you never know when something has to be dead NOW),
Combat Casting (it's harder to boost Conc checks to cast defensively in PF)
Elemental Focus (if your energy substitutions are to a predictable type)
Item Creation feats (you can bust WBL to shreds, given that crafting cost no XP)

Some spells that might be overlooked (mostly just looking at evocation):
Elemental Touch (sometimes having a single spell to attack for several rounds is nice, also has a few decent status effects you can inflict)
Elemental Aura (similar to the above, but AoE and doesn't require subsequent actions)
Twilight Knife (attacks same single target you do, gives flanking and can sneak attack)
River of Wind (looks to be an interesting evocation battlefield control option)
Wall of Ice (again, control option)
Elemental Body line (nerfed Polymorph, gives nice buffs and an ability in each form)

In part, one reason people might like the familiar over the arcane bonded object is that should you ever become separated from the item you have to make a Concentration check of 20+spell level (which are, again, harder to boost in PF). The tradeoff is an item that can be taken from you vs a familiar which can be killed on you. Familiars also can still deliver touch spells for you (though I personally do like the object's 1/day cast any spell you know ability). Those are just some possibilities, I don't really know.

Golden-Esque
2010-11-21, 01:03 PM
It surprised me as well, until I realized most of the reasons you couldn't ban divination in 3.5 is the fluff of how you need read magic etc to memorize spells. Now you can do that, it just takes two slots.

As much as I love Pathfinder, I never understood why they didn't just make Read Magic and Detect Magic into Universal School spells.

grarrrg
2010-11-21, 01:51 PM

It is worth noting/reminding that "banned school" in Pathfinder is a WHOLE different ballgame than in 3.5.
From the SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard) "A wizard who prepares spells from his opposition schools must use two spell slots of that level to prepare the spell."

This is the main reason why you can "ban" Divination in PF, because you are still allowed/able to cast the spells, it just takes more "effort".

As much as I love Pathfinder, I never understood why they didn't just make Read Magic and Detect Magic into Universal School spells.

Again, because of the "not-quite-banned-school" status in PF
"Wizards can prepare a number of 0-level spells, each day... are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. A wizard can prepare a cantrip from an opposition school, but it uses up two of his available slots"
Both the spells you mentioned are 0-level, so if prepared you can cast them all day long if you like, granted they will still take up 2 of your 0th level know slots