PDA

View Full Version : Can you enchant a soulknife?

Toliudar
2010-11-20, 02:02 PM
I'm still new to the class, and am seeking additional opinions (if there's an official ruling on this I don't know about this, so much the better).

Can you buff a soulknife/bow/etc with spells like Greater Magic Weapon?

If so, if a blade is thrown or dismissed and then brought back during the duration of the spell, is the spell still active on the blade?

Psyren
2010-11-20, 02:09 PM
You can GMW a Soulknife, but it will not stack with the knife's own enhancement bonus.

The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder.

For your second question, I would rule that the blade disspitating removes any benefits (or penalties) applied to it, and resets it to it default state, but the RAW is not clear.

Blackfang108
2010-11-20, 02:18 PM
For your second question, I would rule that the blade disspitating removes any benefits (or penalties) applied to it, and resets it to it default state, but the RAW is not clear.

Honestly, I'd rule the other way, as, Honestly, they can use all the help they can get.

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-20, 02:22 PM
Heh, this seems like a rather familiar query. *smirk*

Anyway, as mentioned, GMW is worthless on it (which is a major reason the class gets so much flack: one of its central class features is replicated easily by a third level spell). But otherwise it counts as a weapon and can be target as such as stated in the third paragraph of the Mind Blade ability. ("Powers or spells that upgrade weapons can be used on a mind blade.")

As much as I'd like it to be otherwise, I think the RAW leans toward treating a newly shaped soul blade as a separate entity from the one that was thrown or otherwise lost, meaning any spells and the like cast on it are gone after reshaping. It's fuzzy enough that you could conceivably rule otherwise though.

Psyren
2010-11-20, 02:23 PM
Honestly, I'd rule the other way, as, Honestly, they can use all the help they can get.

It could easily hinder too. For example, it would mean that Backbiter would stay on the soulknife even if he releases and reforms it.

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-20, 02:26 PM
It could easily hinder too. For example, it would mean that Backbiter would stay on the soulknife even if he releases and reforms it.

Or you could just rule that whatever is most beneficial to the Soulknife will stay on it. Since, you know, they need all the help they can get.

Psyren
2010-11-20, 02:30 PM
Or you could just rule that whatever is most beneficial to the Soulknife will stay on it. Since, you know, they need all the help they can get.

I do like helping Soulknives (which is why I use the DSP Soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife) instead of WotC's horribly gimp version) but I also like consistency. Does it shed spells on it when reformed or not?

I suppose you could make a case for the soulknife befing able to filter beneficial effects though.

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-20, 02:33 PM
I do like helping Soulknives (which is why I use the DSP Soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife) instead of WotC's horribly gimp version) but I also like consistency. Does it shed spells on it when reformed or not?

I suppose you could make a case for the soulknife befing able to filter beneficial effects though.

I wouldn't see why not. Ghost Touch weapons count as whatever is most beneficial at any given moment. It wouldn't be the first time such a concept was used.

Coidzor
2010-11-20, 02:35 PM
The Soulknife: A level late and a +1 short.

Toliudar
2010-11-20, 09:35 PM
Thanks, folks!

Psyren
2010-11-20, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't see why not. Ghost Touch weapons count as whatever is most beneficial at any given moment. It wouldn't be the first time such a concept was used.

Yes, but the enchantment is active the entire time. You don't see a ghost touch weapon where the weapon itself dissipates out from under it.

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-21, 12:47 AM
Yes, but the enchantment is active the entire time. You don't see a ghost touch weapon where the weapon itself dissipates out from under it.

I don't see how that matters. Mechanics are in place for taking the most favorable circumstance at any given time, it really doesn't make a difference that it's not exactly the same.

When your primary class feature is "I have a magic weapon" I think it should be fair enough to say the Soulknife can completely control his weapon.

In fact I would rule that a Soulknife is completely immune to all effects that would negatively influence his weapon, as his mental control over it supercedes any outside forces. It's merely a tiny bone to throw to the class since it is so incredibly weak.

NineThePuma
2010-11-21, 12:59 AM
Just house rule that the bonuses to the mindblade are Psionic Bonuses, thereby allowing them to stack with Enhancement bonuses. Bam, done.

Blackfang108
2010-11-21, 05:08 PM
Just noticed this: you can't enchant a Soulknife if he has immunity to [mind-effecting].

You can enchant the Mind Blade (the actual weapon) no matter what.

Psyren
2010-11-21, 05:12 PM
Just house rule that the bonuses to the mindblade are Psionic Bonuses, thereby allowing them to stack with Enhancement bonuses. Bam, done.

Or insight, seeing as the blade comes out of your brain...