PDA

View Full Version : Exorcisms? [3.5]

Morph Bark
2010-11-20, 02:03 PM
I wanted to include something in my game that will require a need for exorcisms, but the only thing that seems close at first look seems to be the dismissal and banishment spells. Are there other spells, powers or other things that work for exorcisizing?

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 02:04 PM
Yes- Complete Divine has an exorcist prestige class, and I think Eberron has one too.

Teron
2010-11-20, 05:26 PM
The ECS has rules for fiendish possession, the exorcism domain and the Exorcist of the Silver Flame PrC (which is available here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20040113a)). The FC1 has expanded possession rules, if memory serves.

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 05:32 PM
yes- the FC1 possession rules add one notable thing- the ability of the possessor, to transform the target into a fiend, with all the same powers as the fiend.

Very like the Diablo II cinematics (except the real fiend is still hidden away somewhere).

Besides the "possessor fiend ability" which adds 2 to the CR of the fiend, an alternative way of handling possession, is the Fiend of Possession prestige class, from Fiend Folio.

AslanCross
2010-11-20, 05:46 PM
Heroes of Horror has a more difficult exorcism mechanic (to play up the feeling of horror I guess): Any character with sufficient ranks in Knowledge (Religion) can perform the ritual, which requires 10 rounds of concentration and an appropriate check at the end. It forces the possessing spirit to manifest. After this the possessing entity can either be slain or driven away through Turning, though the exorcist has to maintain concentration to continue forcing the manifestation.

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 05:48 PM
Do you get a +2 roleplaying bonus for enthusiastically going:

"The power of (insert deity here) compels you!"

during it? :smallamused:

(And no, this doesn't mean a cleric of a new deity called "Insert Deity Here" :smallbiggrin:)

Jair Barik
2010-11-20, 05:49 PM
As I recall Libris Mortis has some exorcism rules for Clerics (though I think that was primarily based on exorcising spirits from buildings/objects as opposed to living creatures)