PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Healing

jguy
2010-11-20, 03:53 PM
I know that combat healing like the Cure spells are all together sub-optimal under most situations but I was wondering if there were any offensive healing spells, ones that heal for damage dealt. Currently, all I know of is Vampiric Touch and that doesn't scale very well.

Flickerdart
2010-11-20, 03:55 PM
There's Hostile Empathic Transfer, but it's a psionic power.

Claudius Maximus
2010-11-20, 03:58 PM
They're not spells, but the crusader has some abilities that could be said to work like that.

I think there's BoVD spell called Bestow Wounds or something that does this on a relatively small scale.

jguy
2010-11-20, 04:16 PM
Currently I am making an evil Melee-oriented Artificer. I already have his main weapon custom made, a keened kukri gauntlet with constant shocking grasp on and I wanted his secondary weapon to be something that can heal in a pinch. Right now having vampiric touch on a weapon is too costly right now to be effective. Cheapest it'd be is if I have it deal an extra 2d6 damage and gain that much. Not the best thing I am looking for right now.

MrLich
2010-11-20, 05:32 PM
RSoP 10 + Domain Spontinaity = all cure spells empowered and maximized. Curing over.

FMArthur
2010-11-20, 05:53 PM
Certain psionic mantles can do this and scale (like all good psionics) quite well. I think Pain and Suffering mantle contains the offensive powers for the concept, but I could be wrong. Basically an Ardent does have all the tools available to him to damage the enemy, heal himself, and heal his allies with good action efficiency.

I'm also moderately sure a Shadow Sun Ninja from ToB is capable of doing this concept flawlessly, but I forget whether you need to be undead for it or if it's designed to do it from the start.

One of my older players did it by getting the ability to absorb certain element and using that same element to attack - eventually gaining the ability to do this in an AoE and include himself and enemies in the blast at once. Not good as a party healer but fulfilled the tank role well.

blackjack217
2010-11-20, 05:55 PM
mass cure X + undead

Endarire
2010-11-20, 05:57 PM
What about ArtificerX/Crusader1 for Martial Spirit and healing maneuvers?

You could use a Spell Storing weapon with vampiric touch or such.

Siosilvar
2010-11-20, 06:00 PM
There's always plane shift to the positive energy plane. They get healed until they explode.

I doubt that's what you wanted, though. :smallwink:

Xan_Kriegor
2010-11-20, 06:10 PM
It's low level, but Healing Sting from the SpC (page 110) is a Druid 2 spell that acts like a minor vampiric touch. Does 1d12 + CL (up to +10) damage and gives equal HP, so anywhere from 11 to 22 damage/HP. It counts as normal healing too, so no going over max HP with it. Given the power of your artificer's other weapon though, you may want to have it cast an empowered version or the likes.

MrLich
2010-11-20, 06:14 PM
Sorry I was distracted earlier and forgot what I really meant to post there is a Druid spell in spell compendium called Healing Sting. It's a ranged touch that does I believe d12+cl and heals you for the same amount. Doesn't help cleric but it's along the lines of what OP was looking for.

Edit: ninja'd

jguy
2010-11-20, 08:49 PM
What is the cost modification to apply a metamagic feat to a spell on a weapon? Like if my claw was an Empowered Shocking Grasp or Vampiric Touch?

Flickerdart
2010-11-20, 09:32 PM
It would be the same as having a spell of the modified level.

gorfnab
2010-11-21, 02:37 AM
Artificer...
Armor Enhancement Infusion (2nd level infusion, ECS pg108-109) + Healing, Greater armor enhancement (MIC pg12) = 6d8+30hp of healing per casting. Not really offensive healing but fairly efficient in terms of level.

mint
2010-11-21, 10:41 AM
There is a spell in BoVD (I think), that makes you immune to a certain energy type and instead converts a fraction the damage you would have taken into healing. If you combine this with Energy Vortex from SpC, using the option to take damage yourself, you will gain some healing while dealing damage to an area. I think d8/level?
I had this combination prepared for several levels in one campaign and it never seemed like a good use of my actions though. Your mileage may vary. I seem to remember the healing would have been fairly unimpressive from only one vortex though.

Also, Inappropriate Lay on Hands.

Darrin
2010-11-21, 11:37 AM
There's a Dragonblood Substitution ACF for a 9th level cleric (Races of the Dragon p. 107) called Energy Sustenance (Su), spend a turn attempt to turn one type of energy damage/3 into HP. It costs a 5th level spell slot, though.

Then there's the Lord of the Uttercold/Tomb-Tained Soul trick. Energy substitution [cold] + Lord of the Uttercold turns all your kablooey-type spells into 1/2 cold damage and 1/2 negative energy damage, and the negative energy heals you (and any of your undead minions standing nearby).

Vizzerdrix
2010-11-21, 01:02 PM
I could have sworn that I'd seen a vampric weapon enchantment in MIC.

tyckspoon
2010-11-21, 02:12 PM
I could have sworn that I'd seen a vampric weapon enchantment in MIC.

It's there, but it's pretty bad- IIRC, it's +2 equivalent, adds 1d6 damage, and you only get healed back for the value of that single added die.

Zeofar
2010-11-21, 02:19 PM
Not appropriate for damage dealing by the time you get either, but Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive field can give temporary healing and buffs (to the caster), and the greater version can kill anyone with 9 hp or less. Both would let you deal damage and then be healed when you kill something while also fueling greater melee damage. Death Knell does something similar for individual creatures at lower levels, but since it isn't automatic it doesn't quite work well with "Kill something, get healed". I'd wager that they're nothing like what you want, though.

Eloel
2010-11-21, 02:22 PM
It's there, but it's pretty bad- IIRC, it's +2 equivalent, adds 1d6 damage, and you only get healed back for the value of that single added die.
Great Cleave a bag of rats :smallbiggrin:

Ashram
2010-11-21, 02:31 PM
RSoP 10 + Domain Spontinaity = all cure spells empowered and maximized. Curing over.

Make sure you have a ton of Nightsticks with this idea, since using Domain Spontaneity requires turn attempts. :P

Hmm, there's Channeled Lifetheft from Complete Mage. Sure, it only grants temporary hit points, but there's no save, and if you charge it for two full rounds it deals 5d8 points of damage, makes them exhausted (Which is like a -6 to Str and Dex, I believe) and you get temporary HP equal to 10 + damage dealt.

jguy
2010-11-21, 03:26 PM
Hmm, for the channel lifetheft, what would it be if you had use activated item that had that spell already channeled for 2 full rounds? Like it is constantly charging?

Darrin
2010-11-21, 04:13 PM

Try Wrathful Healing from Enemies & Allies p. 20. +3 enhancement, heals damage/2, no limitations.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-21, 05:26 PM
Also, if you are an evil Cleric or Dread Necromancer you may want to consider the feat Profane Lifeleech. It allows you to give up 2 rebuke attempts to do a health drain that I believe was an AOE.(I forget exactly, though) The main issue with it however is that after a while when your higher level it becomes rather ineffective, from what I have heard. I never used that feat myself so I can't say.

Also, if all you don't care about healing others and just want offensive self heals try playing a Dread Necromancer. Since you WILL have the tomb tainted soul feat your negative energy touch that damages in combat becomes an infinite use out of combat heal. Likewise, DNs get a negative energy burst ability centered on them which, since you WILL have tomb tainted soul, heals you and your undead minions while harming enemies. The same goes for any negative energy spell and as a DN you will have such spells in spades.