PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good unarmed class

Starsign
2010-11-20, 04:59 PM
I'm creating a character for a gestalt game who specializes in melee attacks, and I'm wondering if there are any homebrew classes that could help with my characters unarmed attacks (my character is Chaotic Good/Neutral, and I'd like to avoid the monk). Anyone that could help please?

blackjack217
2010-11-20, 05:00 PM
Unarmed sword-sage is the classic answer I believe.

Eloel
2010-11-20, 05:00 PM
Inb4swordsage

Edit: In AFTER swordsage. Duh. But yeah, unarmed swordsage.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-20, 05:17 PM
Do you have the Tome of Battle? If yes, then Unarmed Swordsage of course (really, the posters above me got it right). If not, then what books do you have access to? There's the Battle Dancer in Dragon Magazine Compendium, and that's about it for unarmed fighters, if I remember right.

FMArthur
2010-11-20, 05:22 PM
Taking the feats Monastic Training (psionic class) and Tashalatora can give ANY psionic class a Monk's full unarmed attack, AC bonus and Flurry of Blows progression. I would call it better than Unarmed Swordsage if it didn't come at the price of two feats. In any case it rocks on Ardents and Psychic Warriors with Wis synergy and the ability to cast psionic powers. And when I say "rocks" I mean is a passable substitute for simply using weapons and armor. :smalltongue:

One idea I would love to try is using the feat Reshape Mind Blade (Unarmed Strike) and Tashalatora to make an "unarmed" Soulknife who improves his fists via enhancement bonuses, weapon enhancement abilities, and damage dice all at once. Practically speaking though, even such a perfectly synergized Monk/Soulknife gestalt still doesn't do much to help either class overcome its actual problems. :smallfrown:

sonofzeal
2010-11-20, 05:27 PM
Monk1 / Druid X (or Wildshape Ranger X) is perfectly good. Both may not bear arms, but.... aww, that joke's played now. You get the idea. :smallamused:

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-20, 05:29 PM
There is a PrC called 'Sacred Fist' in the Defenders of the Faith (page 70) IT is basically a monk with the ability to cast level 4(edit: fifth level actually, I think you need a high enough wisdom to get them.) divine magic

Defenders of the Faith, Page 70
Requirements
To qualify to become a sacred fist, a character must
fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved
Unarmed Strike.
Spells: Ability to cast divine spells.
Basically cleric(druid maybe) up to the necessary level (3 if you're human) for all the feats. Then just prestige into this for the 10 levels. There are no limits to the alignment.

Keld Denar
2010-11-20, 05:41 PM
Sacred Fist was updated in Complete Divine. Not a whole lot changed, but it is considered the most recent source.

Sacred Fist is ok if you are starting at mid-high levels, but it lags really hard at like, levels 1-5 while you are waiting for your schtick to come together...

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 05:44 PM
Sacred Fist was updated in Complete Divine. Not a whole lot changed, but it is considered the most recent source.

Sacred Fist is ok if you are starting at mid-high levels, but it lags really hard at like, levels 1-5 while you are waiting for your schtick to come together...

Plus, it has that nasty code of conduct. Losing class features whenever you use a weapon is unpleasant, even if unarmed is your favorite thing in the world.

Edit: None of these are homebrew, fine, but if you can get it from WotC why not, amiright? Anyway, nobody has yet mentioned Fist of the Forest: two unarmed damage increases, Con to AC, barbarian-friendly. Does require you to sleep outside and steal food though.

BRC
2010-11-20, 05:45 PM
For Homebrew you could check out my Brawler (See Sig)

Eldariel
2010-11-20, 05:48 PM
I'm creating a character for a gestalt game who specializes in melee attacks, and I'm wondering if there are any homebrew classes that could help with my characters unarmed attacks (my character is Chaotic Good/Neutral, and I'd like to avoid the monk). Anyone that could help please?

You can do that with any class with Superior Unarmed Strike-feat from ToB; Barbarian is a fine option and Fighter 4 isn't terrible either. Other than that tho, the mentioned Unarmed Swordsage is the really good option. Fist of the Forests is a good unarmed class of a different style, but it's mostly a PrC you wanna combine with already-unarmed characters. It's from complete Champion.

Darrin
2010-11-20, 06:03 PM
Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium. Unarmed strike progression, full BAB, Cha synergy.

Nanoblack
2010-11-20, 06:07 PM
For Homebrew you could check out my Brawler (See Sig)

+1 to this. The brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8331781#post8331781) is an excellent base class for anyone who likes to collect dragon teeth with his knuckles... :smallcool:

dsmiles
2010-11-20, 06:08 PM
I don't know if Swordsages can use the Stone Dragon discipline, but I'm a huge fan of it's unarmed focus, and it has a couple of awesome grapple maneuvers/stances.

Keld Denar
2010-11-20, 06:18 PM
All three ToB base classes have access to Stone Dragon. Its unique like that.

And yea, Crushing Weight of the Mountain is a very effective Constrict ability. So good that a lot of grappling classes pick up the Martial Stance feat to learn it.

dsmiles
2010-11-20, 06:21 PM
And yea, Crushing Weight of the Mountain is a very effective Constrict ability. So good that a lot of grappling classes pick up the Martial Stance feat to learn it.

Yeah, I know. I'm currently playing a Large-sized Monk/Stone Dragon Warblade. Grapple is awesome.

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-20, 06:26 PM
To add another shameless homebrew self-plug, I've written a Capoeirista (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Capoeirista) base class that specializes in tricky unarmed combat.

Keld Denar
2010-11-20, 06:27 PM
My be-tenticled half-giant Tash monk is going for that AND Kraken Mantle. Double Contrict = sexy.

dsmiles
2010-11-20, 06:36 PM
My be-tenticled half-giant Tash monk is going for that AND Kraken Mantle. Double Contrict = sexy.In two more levels, I'm starting into Warhulk. :smalleek:

Devmaar
2010-11-20, 07:02 PM
+1 to this. The brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8331781#post8331781) is an excellent base class for anyone who likes to collect dragon teeth with his knuckles... :smallcool:

Gestalt with this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147840&highlight=fearnaught). Punch everything. Everything.

Starsign
2010-11-20, 07:35 PM
Well, I must say Fist of the Forest interests me. I'm using a 15th level Gestalt for a solo game. My first side is Troll 5/War Troll 7/FotF 3. What do you guys recommend for the other side that boosts my unarmed attacks or natural attacks?

Proven_Paradox
2010-11-20, 07:38 PM
If magic of Incarnum is an option, consider Totemist for your second side. Excellent Con synergy with Fist of the Forest, and you can use your high troll strength to potentially deal an obscene amount of damage with the dozen natural attacks you can get with it.

Kalaska'Agathas
If you want to boost your natural attacks (that is, get a whole lot more of them) you might consider the Totemist from Magic of Incarnum. They can be pretty darn devastating.

Edit: Swordsaged

Reynard
If you have access to Dragon Compendium, Battledancer might be up your alley.

Cha-based Monk, with less suck. Very tempting for Bards.

An Enemy Spy
2010-11-20, 07:41 PM
Chuck Norris. Choose this class and you win every encounter. Forever.

Eldariel
2010-11-20, 07:45 PM
Well, I must say Fist of the Forest interests me. I'm using a 15th level Gestalt for a solo game. My first side is Troll 5/War Troll 7/FotF 3. What do you guys recommend for the other side that boosts my unarmed attacks or natural attacks?

Trolls are large. War Hulk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a) helps a lot and rocks in Gestalt. There's Shou Disciple in Unapproachable East for pure beating, though it's also a PrC and might clash in levels. For baseclass, Warblade [ToB] or Barbarian seem natural. Extra maneuvers, or just pure Strength. The other rational option is something like Psychic Warrior, Ardent or Cleric if you don't mind casting; those can all enlarge you quite easily and increase the damage category of your attacks along with other goodies.

dsmiles
2010-11-20, 07:59 PM
Chuck Norris. Choose this class and you win every encounter. Forever.

/wins thread