PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Spell and Feat selection for a Cheesebold Ascetic Mage

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-20, 07:21 PM
I'm building (as you've no doubt guessed from the title) a Venerable Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Desert Kobold Loredrake Ascetic Mage, for a Kobolds only game. Now, first thing's first, my DM has adjudicated that Dragonwrought Kobolds are in fact true dragons for the purpose of qualifying for Loredrake, so let's not get into that whole "Kobolds don't qualify" argument, please. Now, a couple of house rules and changes:

Ascetic Mage: Sorcerer and Monk levels stack for Sorcerer Caster Level, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike Damage, AC Bonus (which is switched to Charisma, as normal), and Fast Movement.
Dragonspawn Template: The Dragonspawn template provides the same bonuses as the Half-Dragon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-dragon) template with the addition of a +1 sorcerer level bonus. The Breath Weapon is now calculated based on the creature's total hit dice, instead of their racial hit dice, and is usable at will.
Flurry of Blows/Natural Weapons: A monk with natural weapons may attack with said natural weapons in addition to their Flurry of Blows attacks.
Favored Class Bonus: Kobolds who select 'Sorcerer' as their favored class may gain one bonus hit point, one bonus skill point, or one bonus spell known (of at least one spell-level less than the highest spell-level they can cast).

As far as my build goes, we're only allowed those classes from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide. I was thinking, since I have three levels of Sorcerer already, I'd take one level of Monk and two of Paladin (for Charisma to saves) and then 17 of Sorcerer, leaving me with, at level 20, a Caster level of 22 23 (17 Sorcerer levels, 1 Monk level, 4 bonus Sorcerer Levels).

So, I have some choices to make. I'll be getting the following spells known: 12 of 0th level, 7 of 1st level and 2nd level, 6 of 3rd through 5th level, 5 of 6th and 7th level, 7 of 8th level, 3 of 9th level, and 2 4 of any level (I'm not sure where to put these.). I want to focus on buffing and battlefield control.

I also need to choose a Sorcerer bloodline. I'm debating between Arcane and Aberrant, as Arcane would give me a familiar and a couple more spells, but Aberrant would give me Ex: immunity to 25% of crits and precision damage, and increased reach for purposes of touch attacks. Which of these is superior? Is there another which would be better still?

I need to choose what sort of dragonspawn I'll be (which will determine my breath weapon and energy immunity) and what color Kobold (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/kobold) I'll be, using the "Classic Monsters Revisited" rules. What energy type would be best to be immune to? I'm thinking White for the scale color, for the +1 to Charisma, but as it's an inherent bonus I was also considering Blue because I wouldn't be buying a +5 tome of Wisdom anyway, like I would do with Charisma.

As far as feats go, I'll be getting 12 (not including bonus feats, of which I get three). I'm going to take Ascetic Mage, Draconic Reservoir, Snap Kick, Versatile Spellcaster, and Rapid Metamagic, but I'm not sure what else to take.

Edit: Oh, and we have access to just about every 3.5 Book for feats and spells, as well as the Races of the Dragon web enhancement.