PDA

View Full Version : It's all about the sword, baby! 3.PF

HatesSpiders
2010-11-20, 07:46 PM
So, I'm a little stumped. I'm playing this Swordsage/Weapon Master and I need to pick three more feats. Only problem, there are so many to choose from and I'm feeling rather overwhelmed.

Obviously, it's all about swordplay for this character (and the campaign setting is rather low on the magic front, so not much to worry about in the way of Tier 1s). I want to continue this theme by making the character as deadly as possible with a sword in her hand. But, I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. I'm still learning my way around 3.PF.

As a lurker, you guys have provided me and my fellow players with plenty of inspiration, so I was hoping you could do the same in this case.

Here are the feats I've chosen so far:

Vital Recovery
Healing HP between encounters or upon maneuver recovery is always good

Rapid Assault
Getting in that extra damage in the 1st round adds a good out-of-the-gate punch

Power Attack
Good all around basic feat, that qualifies her for more advanced ones

Cleave
Helps when she is ganged up on by multiple opponents

Dodge
Makes her harder to hit, so kind of a given

Thanks for your help!

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-20, 07:52 PM
What style of fighting do you intend to use? What feats do you already have? What sort of sword do you want to use? Do you have Adaptive Style? If not, get it, as it allows you to recover your maneuvers much more quickly (all of them for a Full Round Action, instead of just one, and you can swap them out for different maneuvers, if I remember correctly).

If you're wielding the sword with two hands, power attack is the way to go. That said, are you using the Pathfinder or 3.5 version? If you're using the Pathfinder version, see if your DM will allow you to choose how much BAB you sacrifice, instead of having it be a fixed amount. That way you can adjust your Power Attack to the AC of the enemy you're fighting.

Newbieshoes
2010-11-20, 07:57 PM
I'd avoid dodge like its the plague for starters. Unless for some reason you want to go down that tree.

Tael
2010-11-20, 08:42 PM
Are you TWF? If so, the TWF line, Weapon Finesse, and Shadow Blade are awesome. If you have TONS of feats, you could go down the Jack B. Quick combo line.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-20, 08:43 PM
@^ what they said those are three wicked feats for a swordsage.

grarrrg
2010-11-20, 08:55 PM
I'd avoid dodge like its the plague for starters. Unless for some reason you want to go down that tree.

While I will concede that Dodge is NOT by any means an awesome feat, I must point out that HatesSpiders mentioned using Pathfinder as a base, where Dodge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dodge-combat---final), while still sub-par, is MUCH better than it is in normal 3.5.

That being said, get one of the "counts as Dodge for pre-req" feats instead.
You mentioned Swordsage, in that case, I mention Desert Wind Dodge (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Desert_Wind_Dodge)

Tael
2010-11-20, 09:29 PM
Jack B. Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick) by the way.

AslanCross
2010-11-21, 12:40 AM
That being said, get one of the "counts as Dodge for pre-req" feats instead.
You mentioned Swordsage, in that case, I mention Desert Wind Dodge (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Desert_Wind_Dodge)

I second this recommendation. If you absolutely need Dodge, take Desert Wind Dodge instead, since you have access to Swordsage.

HatesSpiders
2010-11-21, 02:00 AM
This is some great feedback! Let see . . .

What style of fighting do you intend to use? What feats do you already have? What sort of sword do you want to use? Do you have Adaptive Style? If not, get it, as it allows you to recover your maneuvers much more quickly (all of them for a Full Round Action, instead of just one, and you can swap them out for different maneuvers, if I remember correctly).

If you're wielding the sword with two hands, power attack is the way to go. That said, are you using the Pathfinder or 3.5 version? If you're using the Pathfinder version, see if your DM will allow you to choose how much BAB you sacrifice, instead of having it be a fixed amount. That way you can adjust your Power Attack to the AC of the enemy you're fighting.

Adaptive Style is a good suggestion. The character uses a bastard sword, two handed, hence my choice of Power Attack. (Everything is PF.)

Are you TWF? If so, the TWF line, Weapon Finesse, and Shadow Blade are awesome. If you have TONS of feats, you could go down the Jack B. Quick combo line.

A point of clarification: Why pick up Weapon Finesse when Shadow Blade qualifies her for all feats requiring Weapon Finesse? Also, Shadow Blade is only applicable to Shadow Hand preferred weapons. Otherwise, I like some of what I've seen in the Jack B. Quick build.

I second this recommendation. If you absolutely need Dodge, take Desert Wind Dodge instead, since you have access to Swordsage.

This would make a good substitution for Dodge but it's restricted to use with the Desert Wind weapons: scimitar, light mace, light pick, spear, etc. I took Weapon Focus in Diamond Mind preferred weapons because of the character's use of the bastard sword (inherited as part of her backstory).

Alright, so here's what we got so far . . .

So, it sounds like Dodge is out and Adaptive Style is in. It makes more sense to grab Weapon Finesse, which can be applied to the bastard sword rather than the weapon restricted Shadow Blade.

If I wanted to go the TWF route, wouldn't I need to pick up EWP in order to use the bastard sword one handed? And, then, would I want to pick up a reach weapon, in place of a axe or dagger? Or a reach extending feat?

I appreciate your help with all of this!

AstralFire
2010-11-21, 08:40 AM
Bastard Swords can't be finessed, you probably want to look into an Elven Courtblade or something.

Greenish
2010-11-21, 10:06 AM
A point of clarification: Why pick up Weapon Finesse when Shadow Blade qualifies her for all feats requiring Weapon Finesse?The point would be to drop strength, when you can use Dex both for attack (finesse) and damage (shadow blade).

If you only picked Shadow Blade, you'd still be using Str to hit.

Darrin
2010-11-21, 10:15 AM
Bastard Swords can't be finessed, you probably want to look into an Elven Courtblade or something.

Bastard Swords can be finessed with the Feycraft weapon template (+1500 GP, DMGII p. 275), but the damage drops to 1d8.

AstralFire
2010-11-21, 10:16 AM
Bastard Swords can be finessed with the Feycraft weapon template (+1500 GP, DMGII p. 275), but the damage drops to 1d8.

In that case, you're better asking for the Scimitar to get a 'rapier exception.' (They're identical except for the type of damage and the fact that the rapier is 'finessable.') The Dervish can consider all Scimitars as light weapons, so it's not without precedent.