PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Deck of Many Things - I need to get rid of this

WarKitty
2010-11-20, 11:21 PM
Our party has acquired a cursed deck of many things. Whatever the one is that makes the person holding it obsessed with it and want to draw cards. Now, my rather min-maxed druid picked the deck up and passed the will save easily, becoming aware of the true nature of the item in the process. Being in the company of several less than reliable party members, she immediately unwildshaped, pocketed it, and wildshaped back.

Now, I want to get rid of this item. Being a NG character, I have moral qualms about selling it. We're level 5, so no summoning anything interesting. Since this is pathfinder, the only way to permanently destroy the deck is by use of the wish card drawn from it. I can count on 2 members of my party. They are aware that I have the deck and what its nature is.

How would you dispose of this item?

Magic Myrmidon
2010-11-20, 11:23 PM
Is there remove curse in pathfinder? If there is, I'd try that.

Otherwise... I'd sing "I AM A PIRATE!" while digging a huge hole to bury it in.

WarKitty
2010-11-20, 11:28 PM
Is there remove curse in pathfinder? If there is, I'd try that.

Otherwise... I'd sing "I AM A PIRATE!" while digging a huge hole to bury it in.

None of us are even capable of casting that. Plus it no longer effects magic items, and there's no way we're going to beat a caster level check. I thought of the digging a hole idea already but I'd need a way to ensure my party members don't go digging it up, in an area where me sneaking off would be very noticeable.

nolispe
2010-11-20, 11:34 PM
Wildshape into a bird, fly up about two-three kilometers, and fly about thirty in some random direction. Proceed to bury. Fly back, approaching from a different direction.

Mewtarthio
2010-11-20, 11:34 PM
The ocean's always a safe bet. Get on a ship and drop it when you can't see land. Preferably with some extra ballast attached, just to be sure.

Beelzebub1111
2010-11-20, 11:37 PM
Use stone shape to inbed it a couple feet into a mountain and blend it in with the rock face.

Kaje
2010-11-20, 11:38 PM
Journey to Mount Doom and cast it into the fiery chasm from whence it came.

Lev
2010-11-20, 11:39 PM
Put it in a bag of holding and put the bag into a handy haversack and then topple a wall of steel with an enveloping pit onto it?

Or, use an antimagic field to negate the item's magic properties?

Jack_Simth
2010-11-20, 11:42 PM
None of us are even capable of casting that. Plus it no longer effects magic items, and there's no way we're going to beat a caster level check. I thought of the digging a hole idea already but I'd need a way to ensure my party members don't go digging it up, in an area where me sneaking off would be very noticeable.
Could you locate some sacrificial hobbits? Or just keep it under wraps, for now, and wait and see if your DM has something specific planned.

Vizzerdrix
2010-11-20, 11:44 PM
Summon monkeys. Have them draw cards...

Lev
2010-11-20, 11:46 PM
Summon monkeys. Have them draw cards...
This is a good idea, and a good way to farm dread wraiths.

blackjack217
2010-11-20, 11:47 PM
Use divination to determine the result of drawing cards. (there is a second level spell that could be used clairvoyance, I think) Then burn it.

Goldenbelmont
2010-11-21, 12:07 AM
1) get yourself a portable hole
2) drop the deck in the hole
3) pick up the hole
4) ???
5) profit

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-21, 12:13 AM
None of us are even capable of casting that.

Knowing your level might be helpful.

Vizzerdrix
2010-11-21, 12:13 AM
This is a good idea, and a good way to farm dread wraiths.

YUS! Then see if you can get THEM to also draw cards! Get silly with it until the DM takes it away.

Here's an idea. Bribe a BBEG with it.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 12:14 AM
Knowing your level might be helpful.

It's in the OP. Also the only full casters are a druid and an alchemist.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 12:15 AM
What, are deck of many things not capped in Pathfinder? always thought you could only draw from it so many times and then you couldn't/it left.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-21, 12:22 AM
It's in the OP. Also the only full casters are a druid and an alchemist.

...so it is. Forgive me, it's midnight.

Goldenbelmont
2010-11-21, 12:25 AM
exert from core rulebook

Destruction
The deck of many things can be destroyed by losing it in a wager with
a deity of law. The deity must be unaware of the nature of the deck.

just an option....

convince deities to draw =)

BobVosh
2010-11-21, 12:27 AM
Not specifically stated, 3 was the classic limit from before.

Get the PHB. Act like you are going to read it, but surprise your DM by hitting him in the head with it. Then ask why he gave a artifact to a level 5 party.

Then find a wizard collector of major magics, always at least one who would like to start being one. Warn him of the curse and try to get some cash for it. If not just give it away to him.

Marnath
2010-11-21, 12:31 AM
exert from core rulebook

Destruction
The deck of many things can be destroyed by losing it in a wager with
a deity of law. The deity must be unaware of the nature of the deck.

just an option....

convince deities to draw =)

I can't imagine how you could possibly keep a God in the dark about the nature of the deck, even if you did manage to talk to one. Would be easy to lose to him though. :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 12:34 AM
What, are deck of many things not capped in Pathfinder? always thought you could only draw from it so many times and then you couldn't/it left.

It does appear to be capped. I could try to find out more about it. Unfortunately I'm guessing my DM would shoot down any attempt to use omen of peril on the thing, plus that's only a 75% success rate to begin with.

And yeah I think the DM was trying to screw with us here. He seemed disappointed that I picked it up.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 01:30 AM
Hmm, feed it to your animal companion?

Rest of the party won't think to look in there!

Worst comes to worst, it reaches the drawing cap inside the critter's stomach, it dies horribly and a monster pops out, and the thing is gone forever and you can summon a new pet the next day.

JaronK
2010-11-21, 01:40 AM
Why get rid of it? Use it for great justice! The Augery spell is your best friend. Just ask the questions right.

JaronK

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 01:49 AM
Why get rid of it? Use it for great justice! The Augery spell is your best friend. Just ask the questions right.

JaronK

Same issues as omen of peril as I mentioned previously.

faceroll
2010-11-21, 02:07 AM
Decks are campaign smashers. It will either give your character a ton of wealth, or maim it horribly. If you get maimed horribly, reroll as the manservant for the party member with the castle and gems.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 02:14 AM
Decks are campaign smashers. It will either give your character a ton of wealth, or maim it horribly. If you get maimed horribly, reroll as the manservant for the party member with the castle and gems.

Honestly I'm not really interested in either result. IC, my character is too naturally cautious and too busy with her mission to risk it all on this thing. OOC, I don't particularly want to lose this character, and I'm not sure getting a game-breaking amount of wealth at level 5 would be all that much fun.

faceroll
2010-11-21, 02:16 AM
Honestly I'm not really interested in either result. IC, my character is too naturally cautious and too busy with her mission to risk it all on this thing. OOC, I don't particularly want to lose this character, and I'm not sure getting a game-breaking amount of wealth at level 5 would be all that much fun.

You could always let the other players gamble.
I'd do it as a learning opportunity for the DM. :smallsmile:

Nermy
2010-11-21, 02:21 AM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5152/915921481cxkavl.jpg

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 02:21 AM
You could always let the other players gamble.
I'd do it as a learning opportunity for the DM. :smallsmile:

Still doesn't sound like much fun honestly. Especially since the ones that would be willing to try it are the ones that I wouldn't want anywhere near any level of game-breaking wealth that the rest of the party doesn't have.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 02:25 AM
Still doesn't sound like much fun honestly. Especially since the ones that would be willing to try it are the ones that I wouldn't want anywhere near any level of game-breaking wealth that the rest of the party doesn't have.

Then kill 'em if you can't trust 'em.

Zieu
2010-11-21, 06:16 AM

I vote this.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-21, 06:33 AM
Why are you playing with a DM who does things like this? :smalltongue:

Radar
2010-11-21, 08:04 AM
Why are you playing with a DM who does things like this? :smalltongue:
IMO it's an interesting challenge. Power and danger bound together in a simple deck of cards. What will you do with it and how will you keep everyone else safe from it's power is a good plot hook.

[Yarr!]Dead man tell no tale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSXciBh8KoY&feature=related)[/Yarr!]

Aside from that: if you can stay in your wildshaped form round the clock, then it's a safe solution, that gives you time to find a more permanent confinment for the deck.

Instead of melding it into stone, you can bury it deep in a body of water. Thanks to Water Breathing you can dive quite a distance and ensure, the deck will stay there for good.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately I only have 10h/day of wild shape. Can stone shape form stone around something? That might be a nice touch, maybe fire trap it to be thorough, it can't be that hard to grind up some gold. That would at least keep any foolish party members from trying to take it and use it without my noticing.

Quietus
2010-11-21, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately I only have 10h/day of wild shape. Can stone shape form stone around something? That might be a nice touch, maybe fire trap it to be thorough, it can't be that hard to grind up some gold. That would at least keep any foolish party members from trying to take it and use it without my noticing.

Fire Trap the deck.
Tape Explosive Runes papers around the Fire Trapped deck.
Stone Shape a rock/boulder around the Explosive Rune-wrapped, Fire Trapped deck.
Cast a (permanent if possible) spell that will cause people to avoid the boulder.
Take the entire package out over a deep section of the ocean.
Drop the heavily trapped boulder into the deep section of the ocean, pray that any merfolk, sahuagin, or kuo-toa down there don't think to break open the random rock that just fell on their house, and die to the heavy number of traps on the deck.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 02:37 PM
Fire Trap the deck.
Tape Explosive Runes papers around the Fire Trapped deck.
Stone Shape a rock/boulder around the Explosive Rune-wrapped, Fire Trapped deck.
Cast a (permanent if possible) spell that will cause people to avoid the boulder.
Take the entire package out over a deep section of the ocean.
Drop the heavily trapped boulder into the deep section of the ocean, pray that any merfolk, sahuagin, or kuo-toa down there don't think to break open the random rock that just fell on their house, and die to the heavy number of traps on the deck.

I'm pretty sure druids can't cast explosive runes...

AstralFire
2010-11-21, 02:42 PM
I kinda think part of the point of artifacts not having a numerical cost is that they can be sprinkled into a lot of campaigns for the mere thematic effects. I think this is an interesting challenge - let us know how you work it out.

opticalshadow
2010-11-21, 03:01 PM
most churches should really be able to take this off your hands for purification.

the hole idea would work, especially if you wild shaped into something that can burrow so its very deep in the ground, i liked the flying off miles into the sunset.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking the deep lake might be a better idea. Thankfully all of our three decent spellcasters are in agreement on this issue, and the main pc we need to worry about is a fighter.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-21, 05:46 PM
most churches should really be able to take this off your hands for purification.

the hole idea would work, especially if you wild shaped into something that can burrow so its very deep in the ground, i liked the flying off miles into the sunset.
Oooh, right - there's a number of animals that even a 5th level Druid can turn into that have a burrow speed. Ten foot burrow speed, even, going down for two hours, drop it off, then come back up. It's LOST. Big time.

grarrrg
2010-11-21, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure druids can't cast explosive runes...

Wait? What?
Worst.
Caster class.
Ever.

Could you locate some sacrificial hobbits?

Sorry guys, wrong Cursed Artifact O'Doom.
(and they are halflings)

Swordguy
2010-11-21, 06:11 PM
Easiest way to deal with a Deck? Combo it with a Heward's Handy Haversack. The power of the Haversack is that whatever you desire which is contained within the pack is always on top, so simply put the Deck in the pack, desire the card of your choice, declare you're drawing one card, reach in the HHH and get it. By RAW, there's no allowances for artifacts bypassing this power, nor is there an exception written in the DomT description that ignores the HHH effect.

Want to get rid of the Deck? Get the Wish card automatically (or in extreme cases, desire the "lose all your worldly possessions" card).

Of course, this also can break the campaign the other direction (ie, all the players get free Wishes, etc). It's an ace-in-the-hole I've saved for extreme measures...but it sounds like that's what you're facing here. I DON"T recommend it for general campaign play, as your DM will do (entirely justified) Bad Things to you for abusing this tactic.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 06:12 PM
Oooh, right - there's a number of animals that even a 5th level Druid can turn into that have a burrow speed. Ten foot burrow speed, even, going down for two hours, drop it off, then come back up. It's LOST. Big time.

That is a good point.

I DON"T recommend it for general campaign play, as your DM will do (entirely justified) Bad Things to you for abusing this tactic.

:smallconfused: Once you drop a deck of many things into your game, you've lost all justification for any action as a DM. General play is out the window in such a case. I mean, unless the DM is completely ignorant of the potential and place of the deck in the lore.

In which case the appropriate response is to give the DM the old "Are you sure?"

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 06:15 PM
Easiest way to deal with a Deck? Combo it with a Heward's Handy Haversack. The power of the Haversack is that whatever you desire which is contained within the pack is always on top, so simply put the Deck in the pack, desire the card of your choice, declare you're drawing one card, reach in the HHH and get it. By RAW, there's no allowances for artifacts bypassing this power, nor is there an exception written in the DomT description that ignores the HHH effect.

Want to get rid of the Deck? Get the Wish card automatically (or in extreme cases, desire the "lose all your worldly possessions" card).

Of course, this also can break the campaign the other direction (ie, all the players get free Wishes, etc). It's an ace-in-the-hole I've saved for extreme measures...but it sounds like that's what you're facing here. I DON"T recommend it for general campaign play, as your DM will do (entirely justified) Bad Things to you for abusing this tactic.

Personally, I'd rule that the deck counts as a "thing" for the purposes of the haversack. Likely get better luck with divination spells.

Swordguy
2010-11-21, 06:16 PM
:smallconfused: Once you drop a deck of many things into your game, you've lost all justification for any action as a DM. General play is out the window in such a case.

I should clarify. You don't just "drop" a Deck into a campaign if you want your campaign to continue at all. In every instance of a Deck being in my campaigns, the players have actively sought it out. Under those circumstances (the GM is doing his job by reacting to the players and through a series of adventures, the PC earn the Deck), the HHH trick is Bad Play, since it specifically bypasses the big weakness of the Deck.

A DM who just drops a Deck into his campaign with no forethought or for no reason deserves what he gets.

Personally, I'd rule that the deck counts as a "thing" for the purposes of the haversack. Likely get better luck with divination spells.

RAI and common sense-wise, I agree with you. But each card can just as easily be considered a specific item, as they have differing effects and are physically separate from one another. The decision can go either way, GM-dependent.

Psyren
2010-11-21, 06:23 PM
I'm in favor of the "burrow a mile deep and drop it" plan.

The two trustworthy party members, what classes are they?

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 06:23 PM
I should clarify. You don't just "drop" a Deck into a campaign if you want your campaign to continue at all. In every instance of a Deck being in my campaigns, the players have actively sought it out. Under those circumstances (the GM is doing his job by reacting to the players and through a series of adventures, the PC earn the Deck), the HHH trick is Bad Play, since it specifically bypasses the big weakness of the Deck.

A DM who just drops a Deck into his campaign with no forethought or for no reason deserves what he gets.

In this case it's the latter. We were just being good adventurers and looking in an old drawer of the abandoned house we were in...

Edit @ Psyren: Alchemist and sorc/fighter.

Psyren
2010-11-21, 06:26 PM
The latter probably doesn't have the spells to help you and the former I know nothing about. Start digging

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 06:30 PM

No, a DM who uses the Deck at all, deserves what he gets because using it is a bad move.

Gametime
2010-11-21, 06:46 PM
I'd just like to point out that any DM dropping a cursed version of the Deck of Many Things into a campaign, given that the regular artifact is already nuts, is probably not going to react favorably to attempts to manipulate the results of the deck.

Given your level and resources, keeping it on your person and staying Wild Shaped as often as possible is your best bet until something more secure presents itself.

Marnath
2010-11-21, 06:56 PM
RAI and common sense-wise, I agree with you. But each card can just as easily be considered a specific item, as they have differing effects and are physically separate from one another. The decision can go either way, GM-dependent.

Each card is a seperate thing, but technically they're Schrodinger's Cards, I.E. their value is randomly determined when you draw them, since you can get each more than once, aside from the jokers.

I'd say you can draw a card from out of anywhere in the deck and have it still be random, since nothing says they're all predetermined.

Callista
2010-11-21, 06:57 PM
No, a DM who uses the Deck at all, deserves what he gets because using it is a bad move.

I don't think it's that absolute. Just think of what a Deck of Many Things might do to a campaign world. Someone gets a rumor about the location of the Deck... word gets out... and everyone who's got nothing to lose is trying to get at it. Kingdoms are in turmoil. Powerful NPCs are doing things that they normally wouldn't. Powerful mages are trying to find a way to harness the deck. (If I used the Deck in a campaign, I would obviously also rule that non-epic divinations do not work on it, as it's an artifact.) Obviously this is only for high-level parties where the Deck will not cause a near-automatic Game Over.

At least the players in this game are sensible enough not to try to use the thing. I'd never put it in the game as early as this DM appears to have done; there's just no call to drop a major artifact into the PCs' hands at such a low level--let alone the Deck of Many Things.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 07:00 PM
Each card is a seperate thing, but technically they're Schrodinger's Cards, I.E. their value is randomly determined when you draw them, since you can get each more than once, aside from the jokers.

I'd say you can draw a card from out of anywhere in the deck and have it still be random, since nothing says they're all predetermined.

What happens when you lay the deck out horizontally and flip them all simultaneously so that the entirety of the deck is shown facing up anyway?

What about 52 card pickup?

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-21, 07:00 PM
Put it in your Heward's Handy Haversack and draw all the cards you want...automatically! Then laugh and tell the DM you were just kidding. :smallcool:

Psyren
2010-11-21, 07:03 PM
At least the players in this game are sensible enough not to try to use the thing.

Are they? It seems half the OP's problems come from disposing of the thing without the other party members learning of its existence.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 07:04 PM
Are they? It seems half the OP's problems come from disposing of the thing without the other party members learning of its existence.

Actually, come to think of it, the DM might want to end the campaign and doesn't really want to go through the rest of the plot.

Marnath
2010-11-21, 07:05 PM
What happens when you lay the deck out horizontally and flip them all simultaneously so that the entirety of the deck is shown facing up anyway?

You can't really take the deck apart, it says that you say how many cards you'll draw. They are replaced as soon as you draw them from the pack, too. If you tried pulling 52 cards(please note it only holds 22) you'd probably die horribly or something. It would still be a 20 card pack though. I say 20 because there's really very little chance you won't get the one-off joker cards in a 52 card draw.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 07:08 PM
At least the players in this game are sensible enough not to try to use the thing.

No, they're not in this case as has been stated by warkitty, she's having to hide this from other players so they don't drama up the place or deliberately try to end the campaign. They very rarely are sensible or able to make the will save to resist pressing the big red button that is the deck of many things. And even when they are, it's a bad move to have a big red button that actually is the self-destruct button. (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)

Dr.Epic
2010-11-21, 07:09 PM
How would you dispose of this item?

Lock it in a chest and throw it in a large body of water (and possibly throw the large body of water into another plane of existence:smallbiggrin:).

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 07:10 PM
You can't really take the deck apart, it says that you say how many cards you'll draw. They are replaced as soon as you draw them from the pack, too. If you tried pulling 52 cards(please note it only holds 22) you'd probably die horribly or something. It would still be a 20 card pack though. I say 20 because there's really very little chance you won't get the one-off joker cards in a 52 card draw.

So basically it doesn't address it at all anywhere, even in the old texts? I was thinking that'd be a surefire way to get the thing to leave.

You have heard of 52 card pickup though, right? :smallconfused:

Dr. Epic: Dropping it into the river Styx might also work, then the only people it troubles are the fiends.

Callista
2010-11-21, 07:14 PM
Has the party got any powerful allies you could contact--people who are cautious enough to want the thing destroyed?

sambo.
2010-11-21, 07:29 PM
"Cursed Deck Of Many Things"?

sounds like a tautology to me.

the damn Deck IS a curse. even if you luck out and get some good cards, IT'S A TRAP!

dgnslyr
2010-11-21, 07:35 PM

And that's how Spheres of Annihilation are born.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 07:43 PM
I suspect the problem is we're already breezing through the campaign by having more players and being better optimized than the group it was designed for. So he decided to throw in a wildcard. That's just theororizing though.

Marnath
2010-11-21, 07:44 PM
So basically it doesn't address it at all anywhere, even in the old texts? I was thinking that'd be a surefire way to get the thing to leave.

You have heard of 52 card pickup though, right? :smallconfused:

No, it's not really adressed anywhere that I can see, but from what it does say it sounds like it would be a stacked deck, not just loose cards. Like they come in a carboard container like most cheap playing cards do, and you draw them out of that singly.

Of course I've heard of 52 card pickup. :smalltongue:
Pretty sure you wouldn't be able to do that, from what I've infered. Of course, if you could do it, you still shouldn't. :smallwink:

turkishproverb
2010-11-21, 07:46 PM
Just draw as many cards as the DM will let you. He'll cry and learn not to do it again.

I once took 26 draws from a DOMT, and came out of it fine. Of course, I had the good sense to choose "A bad draw from this deck" as my "The Fates" card choice any time I got it. :smallamused:

OracleofWuffing
2010-11-21, 07:48 PM
If a bag of holding is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag immediately ruptures and is ruined, and all contents are lost forever.
Huh, I guess that's one of the 3.5 holdovers Pathfinder didn't change. Go ahead, toss the Deck into a Type 1 Bag of Holding, poke it with a toothpick, and forget about it. You might even be able to Mending the bag back together depending on your DM.

Heliomance
2010-11-21, 08:31 PM
You're a Druid. What's the problem?

1) Find somewhere with solid granite bedrock going down a long way.
2) Summon an Earth Elemental.
3) Give Deck of Many Things to Elemental.
4) Order Elemental to go straight down as fast as it can and not stop.
5) Wait for spell duration to run out.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-21, 08:33 PM

That is handy, but requires the Druid know how to speak Terran, as Earth Elementals don't know common (unlike Celestial/Fiendish critters, who know Common, but not Celestial/Infernal/Et cetera)

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 08:35 PM

Not a bad idea.

That is handy, but requires the Druid know how to speak Terran, as Earth Elementals don't know common (unlike Celestial/Fiendish critters, who know Common, but not Celestial/Infernal/Et cetera)

Helpfully, I already know it.

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 08:37 PM

Between the three of them they should be able to work something out.

Callista
2010-11-21, 08:51 PM
Hey, I think you have your answer! That earth elemental could take it pretty far down.

Have you got a mage who can cast something like Nondetection on the deck? Also possibly Nystul's Magic Aura, to hide it from Detect spells (though if they're that close already then it's already problematic).

Psyren
2010-11-21, 08:53 PM
And that's how Spheres of Annihilation are born.

cut cut shuffle cut armageddon cut shuffle cut

Callista
2010-11-21, 08:55 PM
Almost forgot--get yourself a lead-lined box to put the thing in before you hide it. That'll foil a multitude of detection spells.