PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Obtain Open Lock as skill class.

Fenryr
2010-11-20, 11:45 PM
Hello!

I'm a Lesser Tiefling, CG Scout. I want Open Lock as a skill class. I made a quick research but found that most Prestige Classes requiere me to be Evil and I don't wanna multiclass. Ideas, please? Also used "Search" option in the forum but only got a blank page (twice).

The one that convinces me the most is Dread Commando but it requieres two feats and I think that Skirmish + Sudden Strike is no good.

Thanks!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-20, 11:49 PM
A dip into rogue or factotum solve that nicely, but note that unless you take the able learner feat (sadly only available to humans and dopplegangers with a quite strong argument for changelings) you would have to buy the skill at a 2:1 ratio.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-20, 11:57 PM
Simple method: Ask your DM to let you lose a current class skill for Open Lock. If necessary, ask if you can take a special feat to make 1 skill a class skill for you.

AstralFire
2010-11-20, 11:59 PM
"Hey, DM, by which I mean Dudemeister, can I have Open Lock? Almost no one remembers this skill even exists which is probably the only reason why it's on almost nothing's skill list. All I want is the option to dump one-ninth of my skill points on poorly replicating a 2nd level spell."

"Thanks Dudemeister, you're the best."

Dragon Elite
2010-11-20, 11:59 PM
Practiced learner or a dip into rogue. Also, it's a class skill.

nyjastul69
2010-11-21, 12:01 AM
Edit: Never mind.

Caphi
2010-11-21, 12:05 AM
I believe their is errata for the Scout class stating that it gets open locks as a class skill. Unfortunately I don't have a link ATM.

Actually, the errata says they get Disable Device, for the same reason one would have given them Open Lock if one had remembered that such a skill wasn't merely part of Disable Device.

Frankly, just using Disable Device for it would be perfectly reasonable.

Nebraska Tim
2010-11-21, 12:05 AM
I believe their is errata for the Scout class stating that it gets open locks as a class skill. Unfortunately I don't have a link ATM.

Complete Adventurer errata adds Disable Device to the Scout's class skills, but not Open Lock. Ask your DM about it anyways, because that's just wierd.

MyLifeMyMusical
2010-11-21, 12:10 AM
I want to say I saw a feat that added Disable Device and Open Lock to your class skills in Races of Destiny, but I seem to be having trouble finding it...

nyjastul69
2010-11-21, 12:10 AM
Actually, the errata says they get Disable Device, for the same reason one would have given them Open Lock if one had remembered that such a skill wasn't merely part of Disable Device.

Frankly, just using Disable Device for it would be perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, I realized my error just after posting. I was unable to delete it though. You guys are fast. Sorry about that.

Vizzerdrix
2010-11-21, 12:17 AM
Hmm... Hinges are a form of device, yes? just dry going at doors and chests from the back.

Psyren
2010-11-21, 12:27 AM
Criminal Background (City of Stormreach) adds Open Lock as a class skill IIRC.

(Plus some others e.g. Bluff)

Hmm... Hinges are a form of device, yes? just dry going at doors and chests from the back.

I would think disabling hinges makes it harder to open something :smalltongue:

(In all seriousness though, Disable Device should let you open locks)

grarrrg
2010-11-21, 12:29 AM

Actually, all good/experienced Dungeoneers go at them from the hinge/back side anyway.
You avoid most of the traps that way. :smallcool:

Fenryr
2010-11-21, 12:40 AM
Some research and Criminal Background is a feat. Very nice! Thanks. Hope my DM allows me to edit feats.

Thanks everyone (:

Stegyre
2010-11-21, 12:49 AM
If necessary, ask if you can take a special feat to make 1 skill a class skill for you.
There's even a name for it: Skill Knowledge. See UA at 81.

jpreem
2010-11-21, 03:05 AM
Buy an axe.
But seriously yeah there is a feat for that.
Also - try to convince your Dm that open lock can be replaced woth disable device :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-11-21, 04:39 AM
Buy an axe.
But seriously yeah there is a feat for that.
Also - try to convince your Dm that open lock can be replaced woth disable device :smallwink:

I think you mean an adamantine mace and a disc of silent portal. :smallbiggrin:

There's also, I believe, Uncanny Trickster from Comp Scoundrel, which even progresses class features for the levels after 1st.

Lev
2010-11-21, 04:53 AM
Dip 1 into rogue, you get +1D6 sneak attack out of it too.

Ecalsneerg
2010-11-21, 04:55 AM
A lot of d20 adaptations, like Mutants and Masterminds, just say to hell with it and merge Open Lock into Disable Device.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-21, 05:08 AM
A lot of d20 adaptations, like Mutants and Masterminds, just say to hell with it and merge Open Lock into Disable Device.

It's not just d20 adaptations; I did it when I worked on a personal 3rd edition back in the late 90s.

Lev
2010-11-21, 05:31 AM
That actually makes a lot of sense, more sense than "Thievery" in 4.0 at least.

I might do this.

Boci
2010-11-21, 06:08 AM

I merged it with slight of hands, since they are both based off the same stat. I'm also considering merging search and disable device.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-21, 04:00 PM
I merged it with slight of hands, since they are both based off the same stat. I'm also considering merging search and disable device.

I'd have a conceptual problem with merging Search and Disable Device, simply because the only link between them is base stat. Open Lock and Disable Device share the "fiddle with mechanical thingie until it works" concept. Open Lock and Sleight of Hand at least share the "subtle hand manipulation" concept. Search and Disable Device share "Int-based"... while they're frequently used together, they're not really related in terms of what they do.

Optimator
2010-11-21, 04:52 PM
My group lets Disable Device function as Open Lock.