PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting/adrenaline rush moment of your life?

13_CBS
2010-11-21, 03:29 AM
So what was the most exciting (positively or negatively) and/or adrenaline filled moment of your life?

Mine just happened 26 minutes ago. I had practically front row seats to a police car chase, car crash, then a shoot out. I was with friends at the time, and I remember feeling, oddly enough, a huge rush of excitement, then almost giddiness as I realized what was going on. I'm barely able to type this post, that's how agitated and excited (neutrally) I am.

(Police were already on the scene, so don't worry about that. Neither me nor my friends were hurt in the incident.)

So, what was your most exciting or agitating moment?

Lillith
2010-11-21, 04:44 AM
This one is easy. It was when I went skydiving when I was 14/15 years old. That was a major thrill. It was a tandem jump though so I didn't jump alone (thank goodness).

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-21, 05:22 AM
This one is easy. It was when I went skydiving when I was 14/15 years old. That was a major thrill. It was a tandem jump though so I didn't jump alone (What a shame).

This for me, though strapped to a harness, going on a cableway* over a valley of a couple of km wide and high at 120 km/h is a close second though.

*Not a cabin, just the cable, the rope, the harnass and you.

Kjata
2010-11-21, 08:17 AM
I was riding with a couple friends in a car, going like 90 in a 60. We cross an intersection, and some cops pull out and start chasing us. They chased us for about 4 miles before we got to an exit, and luckily for us the exit led to a an intersection that had 3 ways that if we went down, we would quickly be out of sight. We got away and drove to a park, and my friend who was driving was shaking so bad when we pulled over.

Note: Do not try at home. Had I been driving, I probably would have pulled over. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the ride, however. Ah, the joys of being a teenager.

Trog
2010-11-21, 08:27 AM
Biggest adrenaline rush that comes to mind was probably my first car accident. I got sideswiped and I saw the car coming a split second before she hit me and my body just pumped a crapload of adrenaline into me. I was shaking with it for many minutes afterward.

Asta Kask
2010-11-21, 09:10 AM
Tripping and dislocating my own shoulder. It hurts.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-21, 10:07 AM
when i almost broke loose from the pavement and flipped my car. i was going home from church and i took the scenic route, saw a limo and decided to pass it, so i jumped into the other lane and floored it, reached around 95 mph started to break loose(lose traction and start sliding off the road) saw a car coming at me, turned hard right, got back in my lane, went on 2 wheels, recovered in front of the limo made a 90 degree turn onto another street and flipped my lights off so the limo wouldn't follow me.

edit: do not try at home, you could seriously injure yourself, and/or die

darbythegambler
2010-11-21, 10:22 AM
getting into a fistfight against an armed gang... huge adrenaline rush, but in no way was it fun nor do i ever want to go through it again :smalleek:

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-21, 10:26 AM
getting into a fistfight against an armed gang... huge adrenaline rush, but in no way was it fun nor do i ever want to go through it again :smalleek:

i sence a story....

Frozen_Feet
2010-11-21, 10:29 AM
This one's pretty hard. I've had lot of exciting hobbies - paintball, airsoft, Karate, Krav Maga etc. - where adrenaline levels are usually running quite high. For a positive excitement, I prolly have to cite one paintball game, where I was running through a forest when suddenly fire opened on all sides. I ducked into a small bush and fired wildly at every direction for a moment - then, I spend few dozen, arduous seconds lying completely still, my heart racing as I wondered whether I'd hit anyone and would it be safe to move to next cover?

When I finally moved, I got hit by good two dozen paintballs. It hurt. XD

For less positive encounter, I'll have to cite an unfortunate experience from Vocational Institute. My class was filled with jerks, frankly, but usually I could put up with them with my usual stoic mindset. However, there was this one day when I'd come to school sick. I'd felt pretty miserable during the morning, but as the feeling faded by the noon, I was pretty sure it had been a false alarm. However, then these two guys went on bullying spring - usually, I just send them off frowning and flipping them the bird. That time, unfortunately, my focus and patience had been worn thin by fever, so I went berserk on them and slammed one of them against the wall, screamiung from the top of my lungs. I spend the rest of the day feeling horribly ashamed of myself.

Jack Squat
2010-11-21, 10:32 AM
There's two contenders for this.

First one is when I was almost run over by a boat while I was in-between wakeboarding runs. Note to parents: even if you're drunk, don't sit in the back of the boat and let your 8 year old drive. He doesn't know to look out for things in the water that aren't boats.

Second one was when I did a 360 on the highway in a Jeep Wrangler. It wasn't intentional, hence the adrenaline dump, but I kinda thought it cool afterwords.

Isak
2010-11-21, 10:33 AM
Hmmm... A few, myself.

One was when I was driving. Had to drop my friend off about 15 minutes away from where I live... When I had to be in work at about that same time. Going 20 miles in 15 minutes, through lunch hour kinda traffic? I looked down at the speedometer and realized I was doing 95 and swerving through traffic :smalleek:.

(While I drive fast, I NEVER drive recklessly like that).

Another, was this past February. Picking up my Girlfriend so we could hang out, I decided to take the backroads instead of the highway. This one particular road has a nasty "S" bend. The car spun out, barely missing the guard rails on either side. Spun the wheel in the opposite direction of the spin and popped the car into neutral, as an attempt to stop the car. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I did have to pull into a random driveway for a few minutes :smallredface: This was probably the scariest single moment I've ever been in.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-21, 10:34 AM
i think the moments before the first punch in a fight is a good adrenaline high

ThreadKiller
2010-11-21, 10:57 AM
Mine also occurred in a car. I was driving south to go pick up my sister, and it was the first time that I was driving for a long distance by myself. I was worried about getting lost or getting into an accident, but about 2.5 hours into the drive, I forgot about my fears. Then, I took the wrong exit. I instantly panicked and hit the brakes (which was a bad idea because the highway was mildly slick from melting snow and I was going 70 mph on cruise control). Needless to say, my car went out of control and I swear that my car made a full 180 degrees and then swerved 180 degrees back. I don't recall making a full 360 degree revolution, but who knows. Everything was a blur. :smalleek: Luckily, my car managed to stay on the road and other cars were smart enough to stay clear of me.

AshDesert
2010-11-21, 05:40 PM
I have two most exciting moments in my life. One was in a car (big surprise there). My brother was driving on a frozen road (when we lived in Minnesota) and he turned at an intersection going about 25 (through a stop sign). We spun about a 540 (a full 360 and then another 180). In the space of les than a second we were suddenly facing the opposite direction from where we were originally. We decided to stay home from school that day (it didn't help that it was about 30 degrees below zero).

The second was the first time I performed live with a band 3 years ago. The scariest part of performing is still the first few moments before you start your first song, wondering if the crowd is going to like you, if your songlist is good, etc. It's still a very exciting experience after over 400 shows.

Snares
2010-11-21, 06:54 PM
When I was 15 I was amazingly lucky enough to be able to play drums with people from my school at the Royal Festival Hall. It was insane. The buzz everyone had after we got off the stage... I've never felt anything like it. I blame it entirely for me consequently getting much more into music in general. I had ridiculous nerves before I went on, of course, but it was one of the few times when my nerves spurred me on to doing better than normal.

Mine just happened 26 minutes ago. I had practically front row seats to a police car chase, car crash, then a shoot out. I was with friends at the time, and I remember feeling, oddly enough, a huge rush of excitement, then almost giddiness as I realized what was going on. I'm barely able to type this post, that's how agitated and excited (neutrally) I am.

Crazy. I'm one of those people who has a knack for missing those kinds of moments. The first time it happened was a few years ago, when my dad asked me if I wanted to go shopping with him and my brother. I normally did go with them back then, but decided not to that day for some reason, and they ended up seeing a guy get shot in his car. Second time was when I was out with my friends and they were going to get a pizza, but I decided to go home instead - again, no particular reason - and the pizza shop they went to ended up having a gang fight spill into it, with chairs and hammers and bricks being thrown and everything. Third time was when I was going out to pick up my new glasses and could've easily walked there, chose to take the bus instead, and ended up passing the place where two people got stabbed literally a minute after the bus had gone by. As in, by the time I went back home the police were just beginning to seal everything off.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-21, 08:16 PM
Since i'm very boring, I'd have to say the time my friend threw me and a ninja rolled to safety... I feel like I need to go punch a bear now. :smallfrown:

Moff Chumley
2010-11-21, 09:55 PM
I don't have any of these moments, although performing in front of a decent sized audience always gets this kinda feeling to some extent.

Extra_Crispy
2010-11-22, 05:06 AM
I have two. The first was my car accident in 1993, when I hit an electrical pole backwards. I remember taking off my seatbelt and thinking "what did i hit" so I looked back and all I saw was fire, the whole back of the car was on fire. My adrenaline spiked at that time and the only thing that went through my mind was "get out, get out NOW!"

The other was about 6 years ago when I was riding my motorcycle. I was in the center lane of a 3 lane road. I large raised truck was behind me, riding my butt. To my right was a van that seames to have wanted to stay right next to me. My left -- nothing. There was a car but it was far enough ahead. I looked over my left shoulder and moved into the left lane. The truck put on the gas hard and was next to me instead of behind me. And the car ahead in the left lane, decided to stop for pedestrians that were still on the side walk on the other side of the road, 3 lanes and a median away. So I was going too fast like 45 mph to completely stop in time, I could not move back to the center lane as there was now a large truck the middle lane. I slammed on the brakes then realized I was not going to stop in time, well I did something you are never to do on a bike and it helped me. I put my left foot down, actually I slammed it down and was going to try to use it like the Flinstones or something dont remember. This mistake helped me as the bike jumpped some to the right and I rode the white line between this car and the truck. After it was over I shook like crazy and had to pull over to gather myself.

Lillith
2010-11-22, 05:15 AM
This for me, though strapped to a harness, going on a cableway* over a valley of a couple of km wide and high at 120 km/h is a close second though.

*Not a cabin, just the cable, the rope, the harnass and you.

Oh yeah ziplining! I did that in Costa Rica. That was totally awesome. I also remember going scuba diving in Mexico after getting my license here.

Hmmm anybody got any suggestions of what I could do now? Except bungyjumping and anything involving a cave.

Jack Squat
2010-11-22, 06:52 AM
I also remember going scuba diving in Mexico after getting my license here.

Heh, that was probably the right order to do that in :smalltongue:

Hmmm anybody got any suggestions of what I could do now? Except bungyjumping and anything involving a cave.

Stunt driving?

Brother Oni
2010-11-22, 07:29 AM
Like darbythegambler, getting into a fist fight with 3v1 odds.

Luckily for me they were so drunk they took a while to stand up after being tripped.

Joining a reservist unit and getting to go on your first exercise.

Alternatively, joining the military and entering combat for the first time.

Knaight
2010-11-22, 05:52 PM
For me, its probably when I was hit by a car when riding my bike. The moron was going about 4 times the speed limit (granted, it was a 10 mile per hour speed limit), in an area that let him just come out of nowhere, and turned completely illegally at me. I slammed both breaks, had the front wheel clipped, slammed into the side of the car, then spun out on the pavement. Cue car driving away.

I managed to get away with fairly minimal injuries too. A few massive bruises on my face, a scraped up leg, bruises down one arm and on both legs, and a strained neck. My helmet was pretty banged up though, and I'd probably be dead if I hadn't been wearing it.

Starscream
2010-11-22, 09:06 PM
Ran into a bear.

No, not in a car. On foot. And not "ran into" like "I ran into Bob at the mall the other day". I mean freaking ran into.

It was about a month and a half ago. I was going jogging in a neighborhood across the street from my apartment complex. Nice place, very quiet. It was around eleven at night, there weren't many street lights or house lights on, I was listening to my mp3 player and couldn't hear anything.

Seems there are black bears around here that come out to rummage through people's garbage. I was jogging along the sidewalk, and passing a house with two cars in the driveway. I was just about to walk past the cars. Turns out freaking Yogi was just about to walk out from between the cars. Yes, at the exact same time.

Bump. I physically collide with 250 pounds of actual American Black Bear. Because he stepped out from between the cars at the same moment I was walking past them, we hit each other at a right angle.

I have no idea how long it took me to react, because my conscious mind was not involved in these proceedings. When something like this happens some primitive instinct takes direct control of your nervous system, and writes "IT'S A BEAR YOU MORON!" across your brain stem in 50 foot high neon letters. Probably about a quarter of a second past before I surely broke the world record for long distance jumping (backwards).

The bear, to his credit, was either A) as afraid as I was B) so shocked that a human would be dumb enough to actually crash into him that he couldn't react or C) laughing so hard that he couldn't manage a mauling and decided he'd better go off and tell his friends. He turned right around and left.

And that's why I can't jog at night anymore. Which is a shame because I only started doing so because during the day there are snakes sunning themselves on the roads, including a couple of poisonous varieties. Nature freaking hates me.

Eon
2010-11-22, 09:07 PM
I....I... Feel so boring...

To be honest, my most exciting moment was probably zip lining down maybe 50 feet over a course of 150-200 yards... Not quite sure...

comicshorse
2010-11-22, 09:11 PM
Going down a steep hill with my sister in her car and discovering the brake's don't work. She eventually drove up an embakement, through a neighbours hhedge and inot their garden to stop the car. ( Beat hitting the four way crossroads at the bottom of the hill).

Ironic thing, the brakes had just been repaired all she had to do was pump them a few times to get them working

thubby
2010-11-23, 01:43 AM
oh that's a tough one.
for bad there was the time me and my dog fought off 2 stray dogs.
not much story there, 2 dogs came down the street being very aggressive while me and my sister were walking our dog. lots of noise, some biting, lots of kicking, and we got out in one piece.

neutral (or maybe both) would be the time i ended up going down a trail snowboarding to find a green circle (the easiest course) had turned to shear ice. terrifying at first, but awesome when i realized i could handle it.

good is a tough one, have to come back for that one.

THAC0
2010-11-23, 02:51 AM
Pulling the trigger when out hunting for the first time.

SoD
2010-11-23, 08:06 AM
Hmm, first one that comes to mind; me and my mates are swimming off the boat ramp which heads off into the ocean blue. It's all fine, we do it all the time. A boat comes in, with something strapped to the end of it. The boat has a shark strapped to the side. And not a gummy, but a great white shark four metres long. "Caught some flake have you?" I say, acting tough, yet suitably impressed, as the shark was almost as long as the boat. "Yup. Just a few clicks out, never expected them that close to shore." "Cool," I say, and walk up to it, and give it a pat on the head. The shark didn't like this, turned and snapped at me, at what felt like millimetres from my body as I yelped, stumbled back, fell in the water, paniced, got caught in seaweed, scurried back onto the boat ramp, tripped over the seaweed, landed right next to the shark, rolled to the side, and neatly fell off the boat ramp again.

Yeah. I hadn't realised the shark was still alive...

Eldonauran
2010-11-23, 08:24 PM
Feel asleep behind the wheel once. Nothing like opening your eyes and being in the wrong lane on a busy morning (I hate graveyard shift :smallfurious:). I was so far over that my driver side wheels were hitting the rivets on the side of the road (American here).

I went from drowsy to ... well, you get the picture. Just the memory of that incident is enough to get me twitching like I just drank 4 redbulls, no matter how tired I am. Not sure why the memory seems to flush my body with adrenaline but it does.

Good news, due to some fancy driving skills, I was able to weave back into the correct land and get off the highway in a matter of seconds, with no accidents. I was close to home too, so I had a good chance to come down and relax.

zeratul
2010-11-23, 08:41 PM
There's a few of these for me but the biggest would be

being chased by an angry pitbull
first moshpit experience
various times snowboarding, especially when going really fast
Any time I've played live with one of my bands (this is the best one in terms of the adrenaline high)

Elentari
2010-11-24, 02:26 PM
Hmm..its gotta be when i was driving about 4 days ago in Minnesota. I left school, saw that my windshield was a bit icy so stopped to scrape that off before I got in. Started driving, merged onto the freeway, 5 minutes later, I spin out and slide across a lane and was less than a foot from the concrete median. (was going 20 mph btw). I calm down, continue driving very slowly, see 6 different accidents when I merge onto the interstate, and all of a sudden hit black ice. Again. Slid/spun across 4 lanes and almost hit the median again. Two close calls in less than 15 minutes. I had my uncle pick me up after that lol.

arguskos
2010-11-24, 02:58 PM
First time I was forced to fight. I mean really fight. Anyone who's been on that line before understands the feeling you get when it's you or them. I don't want to feel it again, but it's unquestionably the most pumped moment of my entire life.

If we're going for a *good* moment, then perhaps the first time I ever felt something I'd call love. No feeling quite like it, IMO.

MountainKing
2010-11-24, 03:42 PM
I don't have any of these moments, although performing in front of a decent sized audience always gets this kinda feeling to some extent.

Oh Lord yes. So very yes. My first time acting on stage, as it happens, was almost my first decently big role, AND, it was my school's competition show (we performed Batboy: The Musical). All through the practices and dress rehearsals, even through packing up, and unpacking in the auditorium... all of that I was fine. Even up through our warmups before the performance, I was fine. I had no idea what I was truly in for. My first time, I set foot on that stage, and looking out all I saw was darkness and the vague outlines of people, and it all just crashed over me like a tidal wave.

...Then, a month later, we performed at States, and that feeling was not only multiplied to a factor of 1000, but we also received SIX standing ovations *during* our performance (which, when you have a 45 minute time limit, and a show that consistently pulls home at around the 42 minute mark, ONE standing ovation can be difficult to perform around, let alone six of them). The sixth ovation we got was during our final number; people were bloody *dancing* in the front seven rows WITH US.

*sigh*

Everyone at the competition lost to a show that literally *everyone* we spoke to fell asleep a few minutes in, and woke up in time to see the main character carried off-stage by a frighteningly large girl. The wild card? Went to a school who apparently just ***** money, who did a ludicrously expensive looking performance of Chicago, and whom got zero standing ovations.

...Chicago isn't even funny. :smallannoyed:

So yeah, after the enormous rush that came from performing, losing like that was... it was pretty crushing. We actually had people quit the theatre club and never perform/tech for us ever again. :smallfrown:

V'icternus
2010-11-24, 03:56 PM
Hmm, first one that comes to mind; me and my mates are swimming off the boat ramp which heads off into the ocean blue. It's all fine, we do it all the time. A boat comes in, with something strapped to the end of it. The boat has a shark strapped to the side. And not a gummy, but a great white shark four metres long. "Caught some flake have you?" I say, acting tough, yet suitably impressed, as the shark was almost as long as the boat. "Yup. Just a few clicks out, never expected them that close to shore." "Cool," I say, and walk up to it, and give it a pat on the head. The shark didn't like this, turned and snapped at me, at what felt like millimetres from my body as I yelped, stumbled back, fell in the water, paniced, got caught in seaweed, scurried back onto the boat ramp, tripped over the seaweed, landed right next to the shark, rolled to the side, and neatly fell off the boat ramp again.

Yeah. I hadn't realised the shark was still alive...

I...
This...
What?

You... you pat a Great White on the head... while it was alive!?

:smalleek: Holy clock on a subway, you're lucky. I've seen the damage those teeth can do.
I'd be swearing a lot right now in amazement and because, y'know, that's what we Aussies do, but I really shouldn't. :smalltongue:

In relation to the topic, I believe I am some kind of freakish monster without properly functioning adrenal glands.
I have never suffered the symptoms of an adrenaline rush, despite the situations in which it would have been appropriate.
Now, I'm not saying I'm some new step on the evolutionary ladder... a Homo Novus, if you will... no, that's the for anthropologists to decide. But I maintain clarity and control throughout all my stressful, frightening or downright exciting experiences.
And if you actually get that reference, <3's for you and your taste in TV shows.

Partof1
2010-11-25, 12:11 AM
Well done Sheld-er, V'icternus

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-25, 03:20 PM
Getting ready to go on stage for the first night of my first ever serious theatrical performance. I was only playing a few bit parts, and it was only amateur, but the entire three night run I was so high on adrenaline it was almost unreal.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-26, 02:23 AM
When I practised kick-boxing, my first ever combat, true I was all geared up and using protection (helmet, body armour, elbow pads, the like)... nothing beats that feeling...

As for bad ones, the time I had to face a group of drunken guys who where harassing my female friends (for the record I was 16 or so at the time and those guys where at least in their early 20's)... the leader just threatened me.... I was scared out of my mind, but I stood there half expecting the punch that thankfully never came. Incidentally that was what made me start kick-boxing

Ricky S
2010-11-29, 01:32 AM
Flying in a stuntplane at 700km an hour with the pilot pulling 9G turns. So intense.

Xsesiv
2010-11-29, 02:00 AM
Got attacked by six or seven burly youths last weekend while out with some friends. They tried to run us over with their car and then got out and we proceeded to have a short and inconclusive fight. That was pretty exciting. Not in a good way, but meh.

Performing on the other hand, gives you a rush but it's something totally different. I've been in several amateur productions and one professional, and I play in a band, and when you're getting ready to perform for 50 or 200 or 500 people you are so high it's ridiculous, then you get a little jolt every time you do something on the stage, then you get a huge buzz if the audience appreciates it, then a massive flood of relief when you get off. It's great, I'd recommend it to anyone:smalltongue:.

Not to mention the typical run-ins with moshpits, being inadequately strapped into rollercoasters, being hit by cars, falling off things, getting 5 people to push you really really ridiculously high on swings as a child, going down hills in wheelie-bins, crashing into things and falling out of the bins, being attacked by dogs, and so forth.:smallsigh:

Now I think about it, life's not so boring. I should probably stop doing that thing with the bins though

Temotei
2010-11-29, 03:29 AM
First time I was forced to fight. I mean really fight. Anyone who's been on that line before understands the feeling you get when it's you or them. I don't want to feel it again, but it's unquestionably the most pumped moment of my entire life.

If we're going for a *good* moment, then perhaps the first time I ever felt something I'd call love. No feeling quite like it, IMO.

I agree with this post. I can relate to both.

Of course, it wasn't really a fight...I basically beat the tar out of someone who was harassing my brother when I was seven. :smallredface:

Although, go-karting on a road course for the first time was pretty adrenaline-pumping.

Sipex
2010-11-29, 01:42 PM
Two situations stick out for me, and one which was close.

First was when I was 16, my friend just got his driver's license and we were pulling out of some parking lot at night. Currently deserted road with a guard rail in the middle. He pulls into the left side of the road (Canada, so this is wrong) and we all realise this as soon as he passes the guard rail (so we can't pull over to the right side). Lights start coming up ahead. He floors it and just barely makes it to the intersection to pull over.

Second was completely my fault. I had my laptop out on the bus at night 3 or 4 years ago, studying for college exams. A guy and his friend (sadly, the thug types, damn people perpetuating stereotypes) grabbed it from me and ran. I didn't even think, I just got up, jumped on the guy's back as he exited the bus and chased him across the street. I nearly caught him when he pulled out a knife and then made a get away (the knife kind of got my brain to kick start and make intelligent decisions, ie, don't attack the guy with the knife).

I had enough left over adrenaline that I was able to run two city blocks to catch my bus (the one that had now driven away and had my stuff on it).

Also, while in highschool my friends and I would always hang around outside the school for a few hours after everything finished. One day we couldn't for whatever reasons. That very day the janitor is attacked in the school, after school, by a guy wielding two metal pipes. He was also trained in martial arts. My programming teacher at the time attacked him and did exactly NOTHING to him. The police gave him the security footage of him fleeing in terror from a hooded figure swinging pipes around, he shows it off.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-30, 01:24 AM
I dance for an extracurricular activity, as you get ready to go on and do your piece you get this not of tension in your stomach and it build up until you got on stage. the weird thing is that while you are dancing you are perfectly calm, then when you are done that not of tension either explodes in joy or you crash into tears (this hasn't happened to me but i have seen it in other people).

i explode: i turn 5 kartweels do flips, spins, run around randomly hugging people it feels great. i buzz for about half an hour then slowly wind down.

a close second would be the first time i went scuba diving and realised i could breath under water!!!

DM