PDA

View Full Version : Paladin-template (3.5)

Balor01
2010-11-21, 05:51 AM
A while ago one of my players played a batman wizard and around lvl 18 completely obliterated some clerics of Pelor and paladins in a certain large town. Afterwords, his evil mages' guild gained firm grip onto this previously NG city, by enforcing slavery, lifting bans for trading with ALL goods and services and allowed clerics of Hextor to erect a monumental temple to their god in this city. Militia was re-shaped into repressive, penal and spying force to subdue any insurgents.

So, in this situation all paladins just - died. Anyone standing up face-to-face to the guild, evil clerics or militia just got imprisoned/enslaved/executed.

So, I was sort of a thinking what would a good god (like Pelor) do in such a case. Straight intervention is out of the question, but what if he decided to "troll" evildoers by adding "paladin template" to all people of LG and maybe even NG alignment? Meaning that skillful rogue who does not blindly charge into evil guys suddenly - in addition to his bonuses - gets stats of paladin. That is, where stats (saves, etc ...) are duplicated, he just picks better of the two, while things like smiting and healing are just added to basic class.

I find idea very nice (and not overpowered, since paladin is not tier 1 and does not really buff-up character all that much), but would appreciate your opinions.

Ducklord
2010-11-21, 06:05 AM
Actually what you want sounds a lot like gestalt characters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltcharacters.htm). Essentialy you get two classes at every level, and you take the best from each class. So a rogue//paladin(the // is how gestalt progression is marked) would have paladin BaB and HD, 8+int skill points per level, and all the other goodies that rouges and paladins get. A gestalt character is slightly stronger than a regular character, but against wizards they could really use the help. :smallbiggrin:

Actually some people suggested that power levels of characters could be evened by letting everybody tier 3 or lower play gestalt.

PersonMan
2010-11-21, 06:55 AM
I agree with Ducklord.

I also find Pelor trolling evildoers to be hilarious. Can I sig that?

Balor01
2010-11-21, 09:42 AM
Can I sig that?
I'll be honored.

Roderick_BR
2010-11-21, 09:09 PM
Maybe give them the celestial template? A few resistance to elements, and a small smite evil.
I think there's a paladin PrC to go all spy like, shadow something. Inquisiter too, and maybe paladins/rogues with one of those class combining feats could move around collecting information on what is going on.
That character is playing the "smart evil overlord" type (maybe he's following the evil overlord list?), so he deserves to get some strong and cunning opponents.

LtPowers
2010-11-21, 09:17 PM
So, I was sort of a thinking what would a good god (like Pelor) do in such a case. Straight intervention is out of the question, but what if he decided to "troll" evildoers by adding "paladin template" to all people of LG and maybe even NG alignment?

Cosmologically, that would probably start an "arms race" among the gods as soon as any of them found out. There's a reason gods don't normally go around buffing up all their followers. =)

Certainly a neat idea if you can get around those implications somehow.

Powers &8^]