PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] iPad Character Sheets?

CubeB
2010-11-21, 11:11 AM
Alright, so I recently purchased an iPad and I've taken to using it as a gaming aid.

Unfortunately, the character sheet I got from PenPaperPixel doesn't render properly on the iPad, nor does any other fillable PDF. DndSheets and similar services work, but my DM insists on having a PDF, and wifi in the dorms is spotty at best.

HeroLab won't work, because my character is a a formerly half-orc Dragonborn Barbarian that we've house ruled the **** out of so he can function in a caster heavy party. Normally I can hack feats in if I want to, but I don't really want to, and this is just a wee bit beyond me (Hero Lab sucks for 3.5. It's awesome for Mutants And Masterminds though.)

Dicenomicon requires a level of programming acumen I do not possess to properly use, and doesn't even seem to be able to calculate BAB properly.

All I Want is a simple, functional sheet that I can reference from my iPad while offline. No built in options. Nothing overly complex. Just something nicer than a Pages Doc. Can anyone help?

Ichneumon
2010-11-21, 11:31 AM
You could make a real nice one with numbers for Ipad I think.

OracleofWuffing
2010-11-21, 11:32 AM
All I Want is a simple, functional sheet that I can reference from my iPad while offline. No built in options. Nothing overly complex. Just something nicer than a Pages Doc. Can anyone help?
How functional are we talking about, here? It's possible to save a PDF as an image file, so you'll lose any editing possibilities but your formatting will be locked in... Unless the iPad resizes and re-compresses images like my first gen iPod Touch did and make text unreadable. In that case, you'd have to look for an app that'd let you view images uncompressed, and the way I did that on an iPod was, well, complicated. :smalltongue: There might be an app for that now?

CubeB
2010-11-21, 11:38 AM
Numbers might work if I had it, but I know it doesn't support macros.

I want to at least be able to edit it on my computer. A PDF saved as an image might work, but as PenPaperPixel's PDF is two pages (one for stats and one for items) this is kind of awkward.

CubeB
2010-11-26, 10:40 PM
So Numbers did indeed work, though the sheet I made is a bit sloppy.

Anyone know of a good 3.5e Numbers Sheet? I know there's a 4e One.

jguy
2010-11-26, 11:03 PM
instead of a full character sheet like the pages we have, why not do shorthand like a Monster Manual entry?

CubeB
2010-11-26, 11:13 PM
instead of a full character sheet like the pages we have, why not do shorthand like a Monster Manual entry?

Because as a PC, I am inherently more complex than a one shot monster? I have a wide variety of feats, class features, skills, magical items, stat modifiers that can change dynamically over the course of a game?

Plus character sheets are just easy to read.

The long character sheet I made works as long as I update it concurrently with the one the DM likes, but... yeah...

Mojo_Rat
2010-11-27, 02:31 AM
I thought you could make up new races and things in Hero Labs.

Allanimal
2010-11-27, 02:51 AM
What app do your fillable PDFs render improperly in? Have you tried others? In general, I am very happy with GoodReader, but I haven't yet tried with PDF forms.

grimbold
2010-11-27, 08:45 AM
why not make your own format on a document and then use that?

CubeB
2010-11-27, 02:41 PM
I've tried iBooks, GoodReader, and CloudReader.

A Numbers based sheet seems to be my best bet right now.

And my character is a Half-orc Dragonborn of Bahamut with the Charisma penalty removed and a large number of bonus feats taking the place of class features. I have no clue how to render that in HeroLab

jguy
2010-11-27, 05:15 PM
Well you could use this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/usercp.php?) site, make your character there, and just open up the page with your iPad.

Swooper
2010-11-27, 07:52 PM
Well you could use this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/usercp.php?) site, make your character there, and just open up the page with your iPad.
The OP said:

wifi in the dorms is spotty at best
So... Unless he can open the page somewhere with better wifi and leave it open when he comes to the session?

I'm interested in what solution you come up with, I'm getting an iPad of my own in 3 weeks and am planning to use it as a gaming aid too - mostly to have pdf books on, it's more handy and less intrusive at the table than a fullsize laptop. Hadn't thought of using it for charactersheets, but that's definitely a handy feature to have.

CubeB
2010-11-28, 12:09 AM
I've managed to make a character reference in Numbers, and it's pretty cool. The functions needed to calculate your stats aren't that difficult to figure out, and I've even included a Rage Toggle that updates my Attack Bonus, Hit Points, and AC with the new Rage Values.

The last pages is a history. They exist solely to update the Hit Point and Experience Point entries on the earlier pages. An awkward solution, yes, but one that lets me keep track of everything that has occurred.

It's not perfect, of course. It's ridiculously complex for a character sheet, for one. But for a portable personal reference? It's awesome.

You can see it here (http://public.iwork.com/document/?a=p200796752&d=MolikCharacterSheet.numbers).

Andion Isurand
2010-11-28, 01:07 AM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php

As far as I can tell, the sheets on Myth Weavers seem to work well on the iPad.

CubeB
2010-11-28, 12:27 PM
Our online character sheets...

[QUOTE=Me]my DM insists on having a PDF, and wifi in the dorms is spotty at best.

Mythweaver uses 3E Profiler, just like DnDSheets, and I can't use either of them. The Numbers sheet will have to work for now.