PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Character Build Challenge

bartman
2010-11-21, 11:52 AM
I appeal to the collective knowledge of the playground for help with a character build I have in mind.

I would like to build a cowboy. Yes, an honest to goodness traditional american horse-riding, lasso-using, hog-tying, "Yee-Haw"-screaming cowboy.

I have no idea how to even start building this.

He is going to be for a one night, fun campaign. When I say fun, i mean fun, our last session with this DM one of the players managed to RP himself into being another players grandmother. Instead of loot or XP we were given candy (halloween theme). The build so far is level 10, but that may go up. Anything goes, but Pathfinder overrides.

Can you, the hive/geek mind of the playground assist me in this endeavour?

Many thanks in advance

Darwin
2010-11-21, 12:42 PM
Ranger, ranged combat style, horse animal companion, handle animal skill, track, it all comes prepackaged in the core class, all you need is to get the quickdraw feat, convince your DM to give you a set of revolvers and most importantly buy a nice hat.

bartman
2010-11-21, 01:02 PM
Ranger, ranged combat style, horse animal companion, handle animal skill, track, it all comes prepackaged in the core class, all you need is to get the quickdraw feat, convince your DM to give you a set of revolvers and most importantly buy a nice hat.

Interesting, But how would I go about lassooing and hog-tying an emeny? I want to be able to ride up, catch em, then leap off the horse and tie em up as quick as i can

Urpriest
2010-11-21, 01:06 PM
Interesting, But how would I go about lassooing and hog-tying an emeny? I want to be able to ride up, catch em, then leap off the horse and tie em up as quick as i can

Depending on 3.5 access, Complete Warrior's Justicar is the go-to Prc for hog-tying your enemies, and the Book of Exalted Deeds has fairly optimizable lasso rules.

nedz
2010-11-21, 02:34 PM
Yes but you also need a 1 level dip of bard for EWP(Whip) and those corney campfire songs.:smallbiggrin:

opticalshadow
2010-11-21, 03:04 PM
if you cant take revolvers hand xbows will work aswell, with a few feats they can be fired and reloaded in the same round, however you may want to try and bolster your dmg output alittle, since you will have to invest most of your feats into the theme, maybe multi classign with rouge for SA?

bartman
2010-11-21, 05:40 PM
Depending on 3.5 access, Complete Warrior's Justicar is the go-to Prc for hog-tying your enemies, and the Book of Exalted Deeds has fairly optimizable lasso rules.

I will have to check those out, i have heard about the justicar, but never really read up on it at all. Did not know that there was any lasso info in BoED, have to read it more.

Yes but you also need a 1 level dip of bard for EWP(Whip) and those corney campfire songs.:smallbiggrin:

Either a dip in Bard, or just take a feat, depends on how feat-starved the build gets. Remember, Pathfinder so more feats to play with

if you cant take revolvers hand xbows will work aswell, with a few feats they can be fired and reloaded in the same round, however you may want to try and bolster your dmg output alittle, since you will have to invest most of your feats into the theme, maybe multi classign with rouge for SA?

I considered hand crossbows instead of revolvers, maybe see if i can get something homebrewed to make it quick-reloadable, or multiple shots, etc. the damage was a concern, but I like the idea of rogue for sneak attack. Have to see what I have to play with.

All excellent ideas, anyone have any more?

Rixx
2010-11-21, 06:32 PM
Ranger, with Horse Lord and Skirmisher variants from the APG. Crossbow style from there, too (I imagine most of the crossbow feats work with guns) Use a Lasso (in the Adventurer's Armory, I think). Instant cowboy!

bartman
2010-11-22, 11:29 PM
Ranger, with Horse Lord and Skirmisher variants from the APG. Crossbow style from there, too (I imagine most of the crossbow feats work with guns) Use a Lasso (in the Adventurer's Armory, I think). Instant cowboy!

This is the second time someone has recommended the APG to me. I am going to have to scrounge up my pennies and go buy it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. When i get this built, I willl have to make sure and post the final build, see what everyone thinks.

Thanks once again, and if there are more ideas, keep em coming