PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy

Chaos4knuckles
2010-11-21, 02:14 PM
Can monstrous humanoids, such as yeti's and Thri-kreen, inherit this templete

Eloel
2010-11-21, 02:18 PM
"Lycanthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The lycanthrope template can be inherited (for natural lycanthropes) or acquired (for afflicted lycanthropes). Becoming a lycanthrope is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice.
No
Somewhitetext

Chaos4knuckles
2010-11-21, 02:26 PM
Okay, because I was going to make a Yeti Werbear (Polar) lord (dire polar bear), but I guess I'll instead use a frost giant, thanks for the help

Warlawk
2010-11-21, 03:45 PM
Okay, because I was going to make a Yeti Werbear (Polar) lord (dire polar bear), but I guess I'll instead use a frost giant, thanks for the help

If you like the idea, do it. Most players, during gameplay, are unlikely to notice such a minor detail. Even if they do, and your idea is cool and played out well, no one is likely to care. On the off chance someone does both notice, and care enough to say something... BAM! You've got a new adventure hook, because everyone knows that when something impossible happens A Wizard Did It! That means there is a psychotic wizard out there somewhere tinkering with magic to spread Lycanthropy to new types of creatures and such a menace must be stopped by a mighty group of heroes!

Sounds like a win win situation to me.

hamishspence
2010-11-21, 03:52 PM
If you like the idea, do it. Most players, during gameplay, are unlikely to notice such a minor detail. Even if they do, and your idea is cool and played out well, no one is likely to care.

WoTC actually encourage giving templates to monsters that can't normally take them, in these articles:

Creatures That Cannot Be (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060407a)
Creatures That Cannot Be II (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a)

Chaos4knuckles
2010-11-22, 03:05 PM
actually looking over those two articles, it answers another thing I was going to create; a tauric mindflayer/giant squid. I'm going to put the creature within the far realm as part of a temple for a side-quest (major quest if they understood) for the current campaign. I might still make the yeti werebear, but not entirely sure though. Thanks for the help and links guys

LibraryOgre
2010-11-23, 12:23 PM

Go for it. It's cool, it's an NPC... those two combined make it work. I wouldn't allow it on a thri-kreen (just sounds weird), but a yeti dire werebear? That's some brown trousers time for a PC, right there.

Warlawk
2010-11-23, 02:06 PM
Go for it. It's cool, it's an NPC... those two combined make it work. I wouldn't allow it on a thri-kreen (just sounds weird), but a yeti dire werebear? That's some brown trousers time for a PC, right there.

Well.... you don't describe it as a Were-Thrikreen/chipmunk, you describe it as this giant chipmunk with mandibles sprouting from his mouth and 4 arms tipped with chitinous claws that just leaped on top of the party from 80 feet out!

I think a were-kreen is kinda silly too, but I just couldn't get that image out of my head.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-23, 02:55 PM
Well.... you don't describe it as a Were-Thrikreen/chipmunk, you describe it as this giant chipmunk with mandibles sprouting from his mouth and 4 arms tipped with chitinous claws that just leaped on top of the party from 80 feet out!

I think a were-kreen is kinda silly too, but I just couldn't get that image out of my head.

I view it as just punishment for coming up with an abomination like a were-chipmunk in the first place. :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2010-11-23, 02:58 PM

What if it were an emantothrope, though? Thri-keen were-scorpion would be cool.

Chaos4knuckles
2010-12-28, 12:33 PM
Also, when a character gains more than 4 extra hit dice from the lycanthropy template due to the creature, do they gain an ability adjustment. As well as, if the NpC advanced in levels, and it hit dice exceeded 20 hit dice all together, instead of the class, do I just gain epic BAB and saves?

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-28, 12:35 PM
Animal HD are HD. You gain skill points, feats and ability adjustments as normal.

And if you have racial or animal HD and your total HD ends up more than 20, yes, you're epic.

Chaos4knuckles
2010-12-28, 02:40 PM
The animal HD, because the npc gained 18 HD

grimbold
2010-12-29, 09:42 AM
by RAW you can not
however a werewolf yeti would be pretty cool