PDA

View Full Version : 403 Forbidden

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 04:01 PM
I've been getting the message

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/newthread.php on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

when I try to post in the roleplaying games section?

SensFan
2010-11-21, 04:05 PM
I've been getting the message

when I try to post in the roleplaying games section?
Sounds like the issue with lynxes.

Edit:
To clarify, you get that error when you make a post that contains the word "lynx", followed immediately by a space.

Mando Knight
2010-11-21, 04:05 PM
Are you trying to post about The Forbidden Feline, the lynx? "lynx " is forbidden by vBulletin for security reasons.

WarKitty
2010-11-21, 04:11 PM
Upon further experimentation, it doesn't seem to like the inclusion of a colon in the title. Odd.l

LOTRfan
2010-11-21, 05:41 PM
Why is "lynx" forbidden, if I may ask?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-21, 05:56 PM
Why is "lynx" forbidden, if I may ask?

Security reasons. It's vBulliten though, not any choice on the part of the mods. I remember Rawhide (I think) saying once they could ask to get that disabled since the specific exploit was irrelevant anyway, and for a time they did, but it came back every update and just got too tedious. It's not just lynxathough.

Rawhide
2010-11-21, 06:32 PM
Security reasons. It's vBulliten though, not any choice on the part of the mods. I remember Rawhide (I think) saying once they could ask to get that disabled since the specific exploit was irrelevant anyway, and for a time they did, but it came back every update and just got too tedious. It's not just lynxathough.

Partially correct, except that it is server specific, not vBulletin specific. We don't even have lynx installed and yet we are protected from exploits related to it :smallconfused:. It has been removed several times, but when it gets audited, it seems to get reinstated.

Dogmantra
2010-11-21, 07:04 PM
Since this question gets asked every now and then, would it be worth adding a small passage to the rules, or a sticky explaining the "lynx" thing? Something simple like "lynx-with a space is forbidden by the server, you can bypass this by using colour tags to split up the word if you want to talk about that feline."

AtomicKitKat
2010-11-21, 09:59 PM
I can't post in the Friendly Banter section? It claims I don't have permission to start a new thread/reply to an existing thread. As far as I could tell, my post didn't contain anything about the forbidden feline.

PirateMonk
2010-11-21, 10:01 PM
I can't post in the Friendly Banter section? It claims I don't have permission to start a new thread/reply to an existing thread. As far as I could tell, my post didn't contain anything about the forbidden feline.

I think there are other character combinations which trigger the error, "lynx " is just the most common.

AtomicKitKat
2010-11-21, 10:07 PM
I think there are other character combinations which trigger the error, "lynx " is just the most common.

As far as I could tell, pasting the thing in line by line via edit worked, just couldn't post it in its entirety(See the thread in FB labelled "3 decades ago...")