PDA

View Full Version : Good monsters from Beneath the Sea and Beyond the Stars

ExtravagantEvil
2010-11-21, 06:08 PM
Ok, I'm going to be running a solo D&D 3.5 game soon, and have worked up a fun idea for a setting/adventure. Set Up: Character wants to return to his home nation. Get's a ride by boat, to guard some treasure on a small time mercantile ship. Now, blown off course by a freak storm into the open ocean. Where, I've built it as an unchartered zone for everyone who goes out into the open ocean dies of "mysterious causes", and for the whole setting, I want to put in fun elements of Non-euclidian horror, with a healthy portion in said open oceans. To help this I've tried to use some of the more obscure monsters of Aberrant mind set, though I have a hard time finding any good aquatic monsters to send at him.

So my query is this: What are some fun obscure aberrations and basic sea monsters I can send at this PC, and fun possible plot lines I can shape involving said monster

Note: Here are the monsters I am using, as of now:
Sahuagin, have a fun city/empire of them.
Grell: On land, underground. A net of colonies.
and I am considering using Cloakers and Sithilar (Lords of Madness)

Yora
2010-11-21, 06:53 PM
Aboleths and Kraken might be too powerful for your group. But they could still make decent overlords for other aquatic creatures and the characters have to deal with them in other ways than fighting.
If you're going for cosmic horror, running away as fast as possible might be a good idea. But quite often this isn't as fast as you might want to, so making adventures in which the characters have to escape from a powerful aquatic creatures territory might fit the campaign. Humanoids are awful at swimming, and ship chases on the open ocean are usually not that exiting, but escaping from a flooded dungeon or harvesting resources from an island while under constant attack by fish people can also be an urgent situation in which the characters have to hurry before they are overwhelmed by hordes of smaller creatures.