PDA

View Full Version : The "Liza Jane" II (docked)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

wxdruid
2006-12-07, 02:15 PM
Gwen gets busy healing anyone who was hurt. Bolt following along behind her.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-12-07, 04:15 PM
Kate returns to her gun crew, laughing and jingling a small sack of coins. Well done, well done! She gives a hearty chuckle and begins handing out Tessa's money; 11 crowns apiece, the 100th coin to the Kate herself. The celebration is short-lived, however, as the trimphant Willfuls are soon called to help their mates loot the captured merchantmen before they're sent away under prize crews.

Ceika
2006-12-07, 06:04 PM
Aly squirrels the coins away somewhere beneath her cloak with a grin, trotting along behind the other Willfuls to help out with the looting.

wxdruid
2006-12-07, 06:11 PM
Gwen done with her healing, wildshapes into a hawk and takes to the skies. Flying high above she keeps an eye on the sea below.

Tantolian
2006-12-07, 06:17 PM
Upon reaching the Bountiful Grace, Jesthik selects a choice number of the riggers to go aboard her to get her back under sail.

Its a long process, but after splicing the main brace, and a lot of sweat, the Bountiful Grace is once again nearly as sea worthy as she was before and is proclaimed ready for Captain El Jaspero's decision on its fate.

2006-12-07, 07:31 PM
The Pirate King finishes his inspection of Bountiful Grace with a pleased smile. "Foremast shot away, rigging torn to pieces...and already fit for service again. Turly amazing, Jesthik." He claps the sailor on the arm and gives him an exaggerated wink. "You sure you don't have a couple levels of wizard hidden under there?"

The sailors nearby join their captain's laughter and an informal celebration breaks out among the prizes. Even a few of the captured sailors (though certainly not the captains) join in the fun, and rumors swirl late into the night about just how many of today's merchant sailors will be privateers in the morning.

El Jaspero makes the rounds of the ships, being sure to talk to as many of his officers and sailors as possible, even pausing to talk to a few of the captured sailors in the strange lilting Northerner lauguage.

((Ahoy, Lizas! If any of you want to return to Town, feel free to plop yourself aboard one of the prize ships heading there in the morning.))

Ceika
2006-12-07, 07:52 PM
Aly watches the celebration from off to the side, though she doesn't get involved in it save for an occasional smile toward those that would celebrate the day. Instead, she keeps to herself, cleaning the blade that El Jaspero gave her.

2006-12-08, 06:55 AM
At first light Bountiful Grace and the two other merchantmen are away, headed back to Town under the guard of a few Lizas. The frigate herself spreads her sails and once again starts cutting her graceful path across the sea.

Ceika
2006-12-08, 08:54 AM
Aly slips back below decks to get some rest after finding out whether shes staying on the Liza Jane or going aboard a different ship. She falls asleep quickly, though she twitches erratically as she dreams.

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 08:54 AM
Jesthik takes up his post on the Liza Jane once more. Happy to be out at sea with this crew once again. While watching the horizon in each direction in turn, he ponders the events that have occurred over the last while, and what it all might mean.

Occasionally he hollers orders to different riggers to make changes, or just to get back to work. When shift change comes, he calls the fresh crew to their spots, and the tired crew to get some rest.

Life is good! He thinks to himself.

2006-12-08, 09:57 AM
El Jaspero and Alarra stand on the quarterdeck, bundled against the cold and sipping steaming mugs of hot tea. They talk in hushed tones of excitement, smiling and gently touching each other as the water rolls past.

Ceika
2006-12-08, 03:04 PM
Aly wakes up after a few hours of sleep and finds that her forehead is beaded with sweat, though she's shivering lightly. She wipes the sweat away and goes on about her business for the day, doing the routine checks, as well as some of the less pleasant jobs that someone has to do and everyone hates. Aly takes on the drudgery jobs willingly to pass the time, working hard to keep the blood pumping, thereby staying warm.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 03:30 PM
Gwen comes up on deck and wildshapes into a hawk. She takes off into blue skies to keep watch.

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 03:31 PM
Bolt watches Gwen.

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 05:03 PM
Jesthik keeps the riggers busy with catching as much wind as possible to keep the Liza moving in what ever direction is decided. With a few less riggers per shift due to those that went with the other ships, its a bit harder, but they perform the job as though they still have the perfect number.

With every wind shift, or direction change, Jesthik has the riggers scurrying to make sure they are still catching every breath of wind in a favorable manner. Even when other crews are relaxing, Jesthik is running at least a few riggers at a time through several series of tests to keep them on their toes.

On' nev'r can tell xac'ly wher o' when we's gona need ta be th fast'ist crew on de wata's. Keep dem han's an feet mov'n. Its hard to tell if he is speaking to himself or someone else at times. But he is running the tests himself, and other apparent tests to get faster and better at the jobs at hand.

The riggers seem to be loving and hating the tests at the same time. But which ever emotion is the strongest, seems to not matter as they work all the harder to get approval from Jesthik.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 05:08 PM
Gwen ranges far and wide from the Liza Jane, finally she comes back and lands lightly on the deck. She wildshapes into herself and walks over to El Jaspero, Found something interesting while flying Capt.

2006-12-08, 05:13 PM
El Jaspero looks up from the chart he's holding and raises an eyebrow. "Indeed? What's that, Gwen?"

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 05:13 PM
Bolt runs over to Gwen and lays on her feet.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 05:19 PM
I saw a ship off in the distance that way, as she points in the proper direction. It had three masts but bigger and it looked like it had more guns than the Liza Jane. The sailors were wearing blue. The name on it was the Golden Scythe. She reaches down and scratches behind Bolt's ears.

2006-12-08, 05:28 PM
The Pirate King chuckles. "That'd be Captain Rulis, a decent sailor if a bit of a disciplinarian, of the Order's Navy. Golden Scythe, 74 guns." He gives the gundeck a quick glance. "Warsong class, one of the new fast 74s. He likes to hail us and put on a show of inspecting our papers even though I'm working for his own Navy."

He shrugs. "It's the price a privateeer pays at times, I suppose. Anything else out there?"

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 05:31 PM
Gwen raises one eyebrow, A lot of water? some tasty fish?

2006-12-08, 05:34 PM
El J grins. "Then all's as it should be. How far off was Golden Scythe, anyway?"

He reaches into a cupboard below the binnacle, then pours a mug of hot tea and hands it to Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 05:39 PM
It was over the horizon, headed this way, might see it tomorrow?

Gwen takes the cup and sips.

2006-12-08, 05:57 PM
El J nods and smiles. "Good, good. That should give us enough time to prepare a proper reception for Captain Rulis then." He turns and speaks a few words to Gaelon; the halfling smiles and scampers off to set things in motion. The captain turns back to Gwen. "You wouldn't happen to have a weather report for these parts up your sleeve, would you?"

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 06:00 PM
At the mention of the ships name across the sea just past the horizon, Jesthik momentarily looses his handhold on a line and nearly falls. He manages to catch himself and make it almost look as though he intended to drop to a lower support beam.

Ceika
2006-12-08, 06:02 PM
Aly, finished with her latest chores in the stuffy galley, heads to top deck for a breath of fresh sea air. She nods once at El Jaspero as she heads to the rail, gazing off toward the horizon.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 06:08 PM
Gwen smiles, I'll get you one Capt'n, just give me a few minutes. Gwen walks over to an out of the way spot and does her weather magic.

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 06:08 PM
Bolt follows Gwen.

2006-12-08, 06:11 PM
The captain casts a curious eye up to the foremast as Gwen gets to work. "Ahoy there, Jestik. Everything alright up there?"

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 06:12 PM
Jesthik drops to the quarterdeck and walks over to where Gwen is standing. He pateniently waits for Gwen to finish with what she seems to be doing, then steps forward. S'cuse me, I's a wond'r'n wha th name o' th ship was tha ye spied o'er th horiz'n. If'n ya don' min' me ask'n. He asks, seeming somewhat shaken.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 06:15 PM
Gwen looks up, The Golden Scythe is what it had on the side.

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 06:21 PM
Bolt rubs his head against Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 06:24 PM
Gwen pets Bolt and pulls out some dinner for him.

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 06:25 PM
Bolt purrs and tears into the food. He looks back up. I have a question from Kyrian, but he said to wait to tell you.

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 06:26 PM
Jesthik nods to Gwen, then promptly turns and heads toward Captain El Jaspero.

Ah minit o' yur time, Capt'n? To El J, Jesthik seems a bit shaken, but holding strong.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 06:31 PM
Gwen pets Bolt, Really? Well, now I'm curious

2006-12-08, 06:32 PM
El J looks carefully into Jesthik's eyes. "Of course, Jesthik. What's on your mind?"

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 06:44 PM
Jesthik speaks to Captain El Jaspero for a bit in hushed tones. After a bit, Jesthik nods, takes a step back, pivots, then returns to the ratlines and riggings. He stops the riggers from doing extra runs and tests to allow them to be rested a bit in case things turn for the worse.

Alarra
2006-12-08, 06:52 PM
Alarra refills her tea and continues to stare out at the water, seemingly oblivious to the conversations going on.

2006-12-08, 06:52 PM
El Jaspero turns with an equally dark look on his face, and calls Tessa. After a few words, she walks along the gundeck giving quiet orders to each crew. She stops at Willful Murder and nods to Kate. Captain's up to something. Every other gun's to reload with chain, and Willful's one of 'em.

Kate shrugs and gathers her crew as Tessa walks off to the next gun. Willfuls, gather 'round! She passes on the order and soon the crew is at work drawing the cannon back from the railing.

The captain himself walks over to Alarra's side and stands by her, quietly lost in his own thoughts as well.

Ceika
2006-12-08, 06:55 PM
Aly, shivering from the cold, heads back down to the gundeck. Hearing Kate call all the Willfuls, she sprints for her portside post to join the others in their duties.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 06:57 PM
Gwen walks back over to El Jaspero. Capt'n, the weather forecast for the next couple of days.

Saturday
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/sunny.png
Wind-Northeasterly at 10kts
15 ft waves
Low temperature 70F
High temperature 73F

Sunday
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/cloudy.png
Wind-Easterly at 15kts
15 ft waves
Low temperature 71F
High temperature 75F

Monday
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/cloudy.png
Wind-Easterly at 10kts
15 ft waves
Low temperature 68F
High temperature 73F

((all winds are from the direction indicated))

Alarra
2006-12-08, 07:34 PM
After a time, Alarra turns to El J. "What's going on?"

2006-12-08, 08:47 PM
"Thank you, Gwen."

El Jaspero turns to Alarra with a troubled look. "Gwen spotted a ship while she was out flying. A Navy boat, puffed-up captain we've met before, no worries there. But it turns out," he nods his head towards Willful Murder, where Aly is helping her comrades draw the ball and reload it with chain shot. "It turns out he...he might have had some dealings with a certain mutual friend of ours as well."

He smiles and pats her hand but his eye is still cold, worried. "It should be nothing, darling. I'm just...just being careful."

Kyrian
2006-12-08, 08:51 PM
Bolt stays by Gwen's side.

Alarra
2006-12-08, 09:30 PM
Alarra nods, "Nothing....Yes, I hope so."
She kisses El J on the cheek, "It's chilly. I'm going to head back inside." She turns and heads back to the cabin.

2006-12-08, 09:47 PM
El Jaspero turns to watch the gun crews head below once more, their work finished. "Gods...let it be so." With a last look to the sails and a nod to Janae, he follows Alarra down to the cabin.

wxdruid
2006-12-08, 09:49 PM
Gwen and Bolt go down to their cabin for the night.

Ceika
2006-12-08, 10:07 PM
With the cannon reloaded and set back into place, Aly took a seat on a nearby barrel to wait for orders or action. Gingerly, she stretches her arm, clearing it briefly from its sling to judge its healing. Her shoulder still aches, throbbing constantly, but at least the sharp pain had dulled enough to manage her routine tasks without too much trouble. She put her arm back into its sling and headed for her hammock to get a bit of rest.

She slips into sleep easily enough, though staying there proves to be a bit more difficult. About once an hour throughout the night, Aly wakes, sweat stinging her eyes as she scans her surroundings, trying to recall her whereabouts. Once she calms back down, she falls asleep quickly, only to repeat the process time and time again.

Tantolian
2006-12-08, 10:17 PM
Jesthik keeps the riggers busy getting things ready in case things go bad. After the men seem to be in a pattern, Jesthik heads higher in the riggings to afford him a better view of the ship and crew, as well as anything that might come up on the horizon. From the crow's nest, he spares the current crow off and on to allow him to be rested.

After a bit, Jesthik goes back down a little into the riggings to grab a few hours of rest before the morn.

2006-12-09, 09:53 AM
Morning finds Liza's captain on his quarterdeck, drinking a mug of coffee and overseeing the hands as they tidy the ship. The Liza Jane is clean and orderly as a rule, but the lookout has already called down the information he knew: a ship on the horizon, headed to intercept the frigate in a few hours. Company's coming, El Jaspero muses. We'll show those Navy boys what a clean ship looks like.

He smiles and turns as Alarra comes up behind him and slips her hand into his. "It's lovely," she says, sipping her tea.

The captain relaxes for the first time this morning. "It just got better." He smiles and bends to kiss her, then pulls her close under his boat cloak. They stand holding each other for warmth in the still-cool morning air, watching the horizon in quiet thought.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 10:16 AM
Gwen comes up on deck, munching on a bit of breakfast. She finishes and wildshapes into a hawk to go watch the approaching ship.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 10:17 AM
Bolt comes out and watches Gwen.

2006-12-09, 11:10 AM
As the day warms El Jaspero sheds his cloak, handing it to Victor with a reminder to have some refreshments ready for the arrival of Golden Scythe's captain in a few hours. The Navy ship is easily seen from the topmasthead, and even keen eyes on deck can see the nick in the horizon of her approach.

Alarra pulls a book from her cloak and sits on a barrel, trying to read but frequently casting her eyes forward in impatient anticipation. The Pirate King himself calls for his second mate and the ship's assistant arcanist, and has a few quick, hushed words with them. Gaelon and Xanilar salute and share a smile, then head below.

"What was that about?"

El J puts an arm around Alarra's shoulder and watches the sea. "Just arranging a bit of...research. Gaelon and Whistervanil have been getting restless anyway, it'll do them a world of good." He smiles, gives her a squeeze, then heads aloft to view their visitor for himself.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 11:20 AM
Gwen, still in hawk form, lands next to El J.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 11:38 AM
Bolt shadow jumps up to Jaspero and looks at Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 11:47 AM
Gwen, the hawk, hops over to him and sits on Bolt's head.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 11:48 AM
Kyrian still wants to talk to you.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 11:49 AM
Gwen takes off and spirals down to the deck, as she lands she turns back into an elf.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 11:53 AM
Bolt shadow jumps down to Gwen, and is petted as an avatar of Kyrian appears.

Hey Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 11:56 AM
Hello, This is a surprise.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 11:59 AM
Well, it's an important issue...

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 11:59 AM
Did you want to go talk somewhere in private?

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:03 PM
It doesn't matter to me, if you'd like to go somewhere private that's fine.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:05 PM
Well, then right here is good for me. Gwen sits down on the deck.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:06 PM
Well, it's about me and Lillah. We have a small favor to ask you... Kyrian smiles.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:09 PM
Uh oh, now I'm afraid to ask..... :-)

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:09 PM
We're getting married. Bolt tilts his head.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:13 PM
Well, congratulations, that's very nice. When?

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:15 PM
We haven't decided a date yet, but we'd like it if you would do the ceremony. Kyrian gives her a grin.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:16 PM
Gwen blushes, Me? are you sure?

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:18 PM
Gwen, you've got to be the best friend I've ever had in Town. It'd be an honor to have you do this for us.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:21 PM
Thank you Kyrian, I would be honored.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:23 PM
And we were also wondering, if we could use one of your gardens for the wedding.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:31 PM
Of course, I'll give you both a tour when I get back.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:33 PM
Kyrian gives Gwen a hug. Thank you, this means so much to me.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:36 PM
Gwen hugs him back and watches as the Golden Scythe slowly gets closer

2006-12-09, 12:39 PM
The Pirate King is lost in his own thoughts, watching Golden Scythe approach. She's still not close enough for signaling, but it's clear the big warship intends to meet Liza before too long. El J scans his decks, seeing that things are as ready as they can be, before turning his eye back to the battleship bearing down on them from the south.

He waves Norman over. "Just in case, Norman...false lids, portside." The ship's arcanist sighs; he grips his staff and closes his eyes in concentration, and in a moment the portside gun ports flicker and waver for a few seconds before settling down.

Hyar, love that trick, says Kate to Aly with a wicked grin. Illusory portlids. Makes it look like we're not ready for a fight. She touches Willful Murder's portlid and it flashes transparent for a moment before turning opaque again. One o' captain's favorite tricks, and a beauty it is.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:40 PM
I have to get going, but I'll see you when you get back.

Kyrian turns and gives Bolt a hug.

Bolt you take care of her.

Bolt purrs and nods. Kyrian gets up and waves before he vanishes.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 12:52 PM
Gwen pets Bolt as she waits for the other ship to arrive.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 12:57 PM
Bolt purrs and leans against Gwen.

2006-12-09, 01:20 PM
As expected, once within sight distance the Golden Scythe flies the signal frigate heave-to for inspection. El J turns and gives the orders to begin slowing Liza, then suddenly turns back to view the battleship again. He and Janae stand at the rail, viewing the Scythe with telescopes and talking; neither looks remotely happy.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 01:34 PM
Gwen comes up to the railing to watch

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 01:36 PM
Bolt follows her, but stares down at the water.

2006-12-09, 01:39 PM
El J smiles at Gwen, but is eye is dark with worry. "Ahoy, Gwen. This should prove to be interesting. Golden Scythe has changed squadrons."

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 01:42 PM
Ah, interesting. Just let me know if you need anything from me.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 01:43 PM
Without warning, Bolt dives into the water.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 01:44 PM
Alarra moves up to the railing as well, interested in what's going on.

2006-12-09, 01:45 PM
El J nods. "Nothing much for now...just waiting for Scythe to haul up so they can row her captain across. I'll holler if anything comes up, though." He turns back to the rail, watching the battleship begin her slow turn to pull alongside Liza. He smiles and touches Alarra's hand, but his brow is still furrowed.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 01:47 PM
Gwen looks over at where Bolt went into water and raises one eyebrow.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 01:48 PM
Bolt shadow jumps back by Gwen. He's soaking wet and has a large fish flailing in his mouth.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 01:50 PM
Bolt, you are silly, go somewhere else to eat that.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 01:51 PM
[muffled]Why?

He tilts his head.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 01:53 PM
Because I don't want to be stepping in fish guts, that's why.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 01:54 PM
Bolt looks at her with sad dogla eyes and pads off, finding an out of way spot to eat his catch.

2006-12-09, 01:58 PM
Golden Scythe at last comes to a stop, about 50 yards to Liza's port. Her captain's barge drops down and quickly rows him and about a dozen blue-coated marines across the water.

All hands, salute! Dovis' whistle tears the air with a shrill blast as Scythe's captain climbs aboard and the sailors give him a t least a well-intentioned, if imprecise, salute. El Jaspero steps forward with a smile, his hand extended.

"Captain Rulis, welcome again aboard my ship. You already know my officers of course, but please allow me to present the two lovely women who grace our presence: my wife Alarra, and our good friend Gwen the druid."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 02:12 PM
Alarra smiles and offers her hand, "Captain Rulis, a pleasure."

2006-12-09, 02:18 PM
Rulis gives El Jaspero a cold look, and does not take his hand. He does, however, take Alarra's and gives her a quick nod. A pleasure, ma'am. Though I find I must correct your husband.

El Jaspero gives a look of mild surprise, but holds his tongue.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 02:22 PM
Alarra gives El J a confused look before returning her attention to the captain, "Correct him? Regarding what?"

2006-12-09, 02:35 PM
Rulis gives a self-assured smile. Admiral Rulis. At least once I return to port; it's as good as promised me. He turns to Gwen and nods. A pleasure, miss. Now, Captain Jaspero, to the matter of my inspection.

El J nods and hands Rulis a packet of papers. "But of course. My Letter of Marque, signed as you can see by Admiral Ceiblayde."

Rulis smirks. Yes, the famed Admiral herself. He looks around the ship. You encountered a convoy a few days back, did you not?

El J smiles tensely. "Indeed. Four merchantment and a sloop; we were able to take three of the barques and sent them off to be sold."

Rulis nods and calmly tears El Jaspero's Letter of Marque in half. In that case I hereby sieze your cargo, vessel, and all persons aboard. Your Letter of Marque is no longer valid, and you are therefore a pirate.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 02:37 PM
Gwen nods back to the Admiral and watches him and El J.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 02:39 PM
Bolt, having finished his fish, heads back over to Gwen, confused.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 02:40 PM
Gwen pets him on the head

Alarra
2006-12-09, 02:44 PM
Alarra looks confused, "There must be some mistake. Why wouldn't it be valid?"

2006-12-09, 02:50 PM
El Jaspero gives Rulis a piercing look. "Surely there is some mistake indeed."

Rulis shakes his head and motions his marines foward. No, no mistake. Ceiblayde's comission has been revoked, and she's dead anyway. That's what we do to mutineers in the Navy. He smiles. Same as pirates.

"Ah, I see," El J says as he reaches for Rulis' hand, grabbing it in his own this time. "Then let me be the first to congratulate you, Admiral." Rulis' smile fades as the grip on his arm tightens. "Whatever you bastards did to my friend, you get to be the first to pay the price."

There is a blur of movement, and suddenly El Jaspero presses his elaborate flintlock to Rulis' head and fires. Still gripping the dead captain's hand as he falls, the Pirate King roars, "Lizas, fire at will! Make sail, full sail ahoy!" and turns his pistol on the captain of Golden Scythe's marines. "Surrender or die," he growls as Liza's guns thunder a point-blank broadside into the battleship.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 02:54 PM
Gwen casts a spell and fires a lightning bolt at one of the secondary masts.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 02:57 PM
Bolt shadow jumps onto the other ship and bites one of the shiphands

Alarra
2006-12-09, 02:57 PM
Looking shocked, Alarra moves back away from the captains, unsure of exactly what just transpired, and moves to a safer area of the ship.

2006-12-09, 03:04 PM
Bolt might want to rethink his actions, as a hail of chain and shot tears into Golden Scythe followed by a lighting bolt. Shattered wood and metal flies across the deck in a murderous storm, but the Scythe gives at least a ragged broadside in return before Liza gets too far underway.

Rulis' guards drop their weapons and Dovis marches them below. El Jaspero fires his pistol at the opposing ship a few times, then realizes he's still got the dead captain's arm gripped in his hand. He kicks the body away, then looks up at Alarra. "Alarra, I...I-" He is thrown to the deck as three more guns from the Scythe strike home.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 03:08 PM
Gwen aims the next lightning bolt at the other secondary mast.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 03:08 PM
Aly watches the scene with curiousity and a bit of unrest as the Admiral comes aboard. She's not close enough to hear the conversation, but she reads their expressions to the best of her ability, and doesn't seem very surprised when El Jaspero draws his gun. With a tight smile, she turns to her duties on the gun as the order to fire was given. Willful Murder was one of the first guns to respond, sending a shattering blast of chain through the illusionary porthole and into the belly of the Golden Scythe.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 03:09 PM
Alarra remains back, appearing to just be watching whatever goes on.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 03:10 PM
Bolt roars as some of the chain hits him, then does a set of speedy shadow jumps, aiming close to people on the deck, biting them, and shadow jumping to the next. He finally shadow jumps back to Gwen, wobbling a bit.

2006-12-09, 03:14 PM
Gaelon appears at El J's side and helps him to his feet. No good, sir! he hollers over the roar of gunfire. Cabin's warded! The Pirate King swears and calls for more sail, more wind. "So be it. We board."

Up at Willful Murder, Kate grins as her beloved gun is run out again. Give 'em what for, lad! She fires the cannon, springing back just in time to avoid the recoiling gun. The Scythe's sails and rigging are suffering horribly from the chain howling over her decks, and Liza easily begins to spring ahead.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 03:18 PM
Gwen heals Bolt and takes to the sky. She flies up and fires a lightning bolt at the Golden Scythe's sails.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 03:18 PM
With teamwork, the guns are swabbed and reloaded quickly, each of the gunners filling their role with precision and pride. Aly stares at the wreckage with a kind of sadistic joy as she waits for the next time her specific role comes around.

2006-12-09, 03:24 PM
There is a brief lull in the cannonfire as Liza pulls ahead of the battered, but still deadly Golden Scythe. As if proving that she still has teeth, a storm off musketballs and magic missiles burst from her decks at the lightning-spewing druid.

El Jaspero turns to survey his mauled decks with a grim eye. Not bad...but the work's just begun. Adania and Gaelith scramble through the wreckage of sails and broken timbers, healing what sailors they can.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 03:29 PM
Jesthik keeps the riggers moving to gain as much speed as the Liza can get. With orders given, he drops to the deck and steps nimbly over to Captain El J. Any need for one o' the sea Capt'n? He asks in a hushed tone. Need sumth'n spec'l done to th bast'eds on tha ship?

Alarra
2006-12-09, 03:30 PM
Alarra looks around at the commotion, sighs, and begins to move carefully around the ship, fixing things and healing anyone that needs it.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 03:33 PM
Gwen is hit by the magic missiles but stays in the air. She looks for the spell caster and aims the next lightning bolt for him or her. All of the musketballs miss her.

2006-12-09, 03:33 PM
El J claps Jesthik on the shoulder. "We're boarding. I want that tub's logbook, so keep your blade and wits handy."

He hollers a few orders and the Liza turns her broadside to the Golden Scythe, unleashing an unanswered raking fire along the battleship's decks, but the turn continues until the frigate is charging headlong back to her massive foe.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 03:37 PM
Aly watches anxiously as the Liza Jane gets some distance from the Golden Scythe, a ship that well outmatched her. She does what she can in the area to patch things up and clear the debris, though it's only a drop in the bucket as far as the damage is concerned. She keeps an alert ear for anything out of the ordinary, any sign that something isn't goign the way it should, and she stays close to the Willful Murder in case she's needed.

She glances up at Kate every few seconds, hoping for some further instruction, only to find Kate intent on her prey.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 03:39 PM
Logbook it is Capt'n. M' riggers 'll ma' sure ya got all th win' ya wan'. An' me blade's in need o' s'm blood'n. Jesthik nods to the Captain before heading back into the lines to spread the word to be ready for boarding while sticking to their jobs til that point.

2006-12-09, 03:52 PM
Gwen's lighting bolt easily cooks one of the spellcasters, but another (though lessened) hail of magic missiles strikes her again. The mustketfire has died down, however, as the sailors rush back to the remains of their sails and guns to heave the Scythe around for one more broadside before Liza grapples.

There is a temendous crash as much of the Scythe's gunnery hits home; Willful Murder's crew duck wildly as a ball smashes the rail a handful of feet from them, then get up and dust themselves off with a chuckle...until they see, a few feet behind them, Kate sprawled in a pool of blood, a footlong sliver of hardened oak in her eye.

A fully-armored elf with a scimitar clanks over and touches Kate, then swears. Too late... She raises her eyes to Aly. But not for you. She reaches out and a wave of warmth fills her healed shoulder. Forgive me...for the good of the ship. She heads off to tend another sailor, and is soon lost in the smoke as Liza smashes into Golden Scythe's stern.

"Boarders away!" cries El Jaspero, flaming cutlass in hand, as he leads the charge.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 03:56 PM
Gwen feels the pain of the magic missiles (she looks slightly scorched) and attempts to bury the remaining spellcasters in rocks. She casts Bombardment, centering it over and only aiming for the opposing spellcasters.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 03:57 PM
Jesthik and half the riggers swing across toward the opposing ship to commence battle. The remaining riggers fire pistols of their own to cover those swinging across.

Upon landing, Jesthik looks for any mage-types, or musketeers to cut down. He also fires his pistol at one that is too far away to easily get to.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 04:00 PM
As Aly picks herself up off the ground and spots Kate, a sudden panic grips her. For a brief moment, she is frozen in place, unable to tear her eyes from the sight. She didn't even notice the healer until the warmth spread through her arm, soothing away the pain. She had dammed her emotions, her feelings, behind the panic, but the healer's touch cracked that defense.

Aly yelps in surprise and fear as the healer's actions sink in, but is quick to turn her attention elsewhere, thanks to El Jaspero's call. Leaving the other Willfuls to tend the gun, Aly draws one of her flintlocked pistols, takes quick aim and fires at someone dressed in a fancy coat shouting orders. She didn't even wait to see the effects of her shot before she had the firearm tucked away, El Jaspero's knife in one hand, and was running toward the rail to participate in the action. She grabbed a belaying pin along the path and charged into the fray.

2006-12-09, 04:02 PM
A wave of Lizas swarm up Golden Scythe's sides; luckily they're delayed at the rail long enough to not get piled under Gwen's avalanche of stones. Jo-Ligh gives a roar and smashes a hole directly in the battleship's side with his massive hammer, giving the pirates yet another point of boarding.

The fighting is heavy and dangerous; the Lizas are vastly better than the Navy sailors, but they're outnumbered two or more to one. El Jaspero rallies them to his side; a wave of courage fills his crew's hearts, and they press on.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 04:06 PM
Alarra swears under her breath when she sees what El J and the rest of the crew are doing, before continuing to move around the ship, healing people and repairing any major damage.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 04:10 PM
Gwen descends and draws her scimitar, she activates the shocking burst capability and looks over the pile of stones for the other spellcasters.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 04:13 PM
Aly charges headlong into the opposing crew, swinging her weapons at anything that gets too close. She seems unaffected by the odds they face, likely because she isn't sizing up the opposition beforehand, but she fights ferociously.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 04:17 PM
Jesthik is currently ignoring any pain or damage done to him as he cuts through people wearing the blue uniform. He seems to be making his way toward the aft of the ship.

With the deft example that the riggers see in Jesthik, many of them are trying a similar approach. Not all are making it work for them.

Jesthik focuses on the doors to the aft castle and cuts down, or shoots any that seem to get in his semi-random path towards the rear. Bleeding from several wounds, he continues on.

2006-12-09, 04:17 PM
The pile of boulders have done their work quite effectively; a couple arms and feet stick out from beneath it, but do not move. El Jaspero and Dovis fight their way to the quarterdeck, seeking out Golden Scythe's first mate. "Men of the Navy, surrender! Surrender and be free!" he cries, but their response is tepid at best. Janae, her strange rifle in hand, shadows Alarra and picks off any sailor foolish enough to draw a bead on her.

YOU. roars a burly Navy lieutenant in front of Aly. We killed you. He waves and leads a handful of sailors as they rush to the attack.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 04:26 PM
For the briefest moment, Aly freezes again, panic gripping at her thoughts. She glances about, checking for a way out. Finding none, she blinks a few times and smiles.

Well, if’n tha’s so…

She sidesteps the fist attacker who charged in ahead of the officer.

I don’ thin’ it took.

She dodges another attack and lunges for the officer, her blade aimed at his throat.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 04:27 PM
Seeing that the spellcasters are down, Gwen attacks any sailors that come to close to her with her scimitar.

2006-12-09, 04:40 PM
Then I guess we'd better try harder this time. The lieutenant raises his falchion to parry and swings for Aly's head as his mates start to circle her, only to be pressed back as the rest of the surviving Willfuls. Kate woulda wanted us t' help ye. They surge forward, beating the sailors slowly back; the lieutenant goes down, amazed to see Aly's dagger in his chest.

Gwen finds herself strangely alone; nary a sailor in the boat is prepared to fight her, scimitar or no. There is a clatter on the deck below, and she turns to see El Jaspero standing over the Scythe's disarmed first mate, flaming cutlass at the man's throat. "Surrender." The mate nods once, sadly.

The fight is over, and Lizas begin the slow work of gathering weapons and tending the wounded. El Jaspero, smeared with blood and smoke, sheathes his sword and heads back to the Liza to find Alarra.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 04:42 PM
Gwen flies back to the Liza Jane and puts her scimitar away. She immediately starts healing the wounded.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 04:47 PM
Jesthik comes walking out of the aftcastle with a book in hand. He heads directly for El J. This wha' ye want'd Capt'n? He holds the book out for Captain El Jaspero to see.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 04:47 PM
Aly, surprised by her comrades' aid, manages a nod only after the officer's body falls to the deck with a limp thud. She seems strangely calm, distanced from the fight somehow, as she surveys the damage around her, some of which she must have caused in her wake. She's sustained her share of cuts and bruises, but she doesn't act as though she realizes it. She simply stares at the fallen lieutenant and nods to the other Willful's comments.

Thanks...

Alarra
2006-12-09, 04:50 PM
Alarra notices El J as he returns to the Liza and steps over to him and heals whatever myriad of wounds he's managed to acquire wordlessly before turning around and continuing to heal others. Even without the help of his amulet, he could tell she's very upset.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 04:51 PM
Bolt runs around looking for Gwen.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 04:52 PM
Jesthik manages to maintain his standing even though he is bleeding from several bad wounds. He seems to not currently acknowledge them, but is instead focused on getting the book to the Captain.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 04:53 PM
Bolt finds Gwen as she heals sailors. She makes it over to Jesthik and heals him if he wants to be healed.

2006-12-09, 05:02 PM
The Pirate King stands, numbly watching Alarra as she turns away. Jesthik has to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Eh?" He eyes the lead-backed book. "Ah. Good man, Jesthik. Just...put it in my cabin, I guess. I don't-" His eye is tight as he looks into the rigger's face. "I'll look at it later, thank you."

He walks through the tangle of healers, damage control crews, and prisoners to stand over Captain Rulis' body, unmoved since it was kicked out of the Pirate King's way. "Which one of us lost more this day, I wonder?" He clears his throat and spits into the sea. "Damn you."

El J turns with a last silent look at Alarra, then starts directing crews to get Golden Scythe seaworthy again.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 05:10 PM
Bolt rubs against Gwen's legs. You need heal?

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 05:12 PM
Gwen looks down at herself, Just a few scorch marks, nothing serious.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 05:13 PM
Alarra continues to heal sailors for a few moments before looking around and ascertaining that most, if not everyone, has been tended to as well as can be expected.

She then turns her attention to the Liza, kneeling in the center of the deck for a time, a nearly imperceptible wave of energy coiling around her. When she stands, every bit of damage the ship had sustained has been repaired.

She glances at the Golden Scythe, decides she doesn't care whether its repaired or no, and with an uncertain glance toward El J, heads toward the cabin.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 05:15 PM
Jesthik takes the book to Janae with Captain El Jaspero's words. Once that is done, Jesthik goes through the bodies to pull out his riggers and return their bodies to the Liza for proper ceremonies.

Once done, Jesthik gets the remaining riggers to work fixing up the Liza to be properly seaworthy again. Remaining damages being mostly frayed or burnt lines, it doesn't take long to finish. Once these repairs are done, he turns the riggers attention towards the damages done to the Golden Scythe.

He doesn't say much more than basic orders the rest of the day.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 05:17 PM
Gwen finds an out of the way spot to rest and watch, she pulls Bolt into her lap.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 05:17 PM
With a sigh, Aly almost turns away from the fallen officer, only to spin back around and kick his lifeless corpse in the midsection.

Tha's fer Kate!

She swallows hard and blinks back the tears. She kicks him again, repeatedly, until the other willfuls pull her away.

It's over, kid... he's gone.

Aiden put an arm over her shoulders to keep her back, and to offer a small bit of consolation.

Kate was a good one, and a Willful is never replaced. They say the spirits of the fallen Willfuls stay with the cannon, aiding her from that point on. Kate isn't gone, lassie, she’s just waitin for us to catch up with her.

He chuckles a little bit at his own humor and urges Aly back to the Liza Jane.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 05:20 PM
Bolt climbs as far into Gwen's lap as he can.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 05:23 PM
She smiles tiredly and scratches behind his ears.

2006-12-09, 05:27 PM
El Jaspero stands on the ravaged deck of the Golden Scythe, in theory directing the efforts to get her repaired and sailing again but his heart is clearly not in it. His mumbling speech to the captured Navy sailors is barely intelligible and those that do hear it can't make any sense out of it, but his reputation alone is enough to gather enough sailors to his banner to replace the dead Lizas and those to be sent away as a prize crew. His gaze inevitably wanders to his cabin door, and lingers there until some distraction draws him away.

Kyrian
2006-12-09, 05:28 PM
Bolt purrs.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 05:40 PM
Inside the cabin, Alarra sinks onto the bed and tries to distance herself from anything going on outside or on the other ship. After awhile, she picks up a book, and although she sits, periodically turning pages, she isn't reading.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 05:41 PM
Gwen watches and realizes the sailors will have a hard time removing the pile of rocks. Bolt, I'll be back in a moment. She gets up and flies over to the Golden Scythe and starts heaving boulders over the side, using controlled bursts of wind to move them. She carefully works around the bodies, being respectful of the dead.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 05:41 PM
Jesthik approaches Captain El Jaspero.

Capt'n, we's ain' realli gots 'nough lumb'uh tah fix 'er up tot'ly, but we's doin wha we's can. We's goh' two masts burn'd thru down, well as numba o' lines an' sich dah' we's ain' goh' 'nough ta fix. He looks a little distracted and upset.

We's c'n prob'ly limp 'er in, buh' dat's bout it. Eitha' way, we's do as ya say Capt'n.

Ceika
2006-12-09, 05:44 PM
The Willfuls work to straighten the deck around their beloved cannon, getting everything in place for the departure of one of their own. Aly watches in confusion and curiosity as they make their preparations.

Samual and Aaron, the twin brothers, set about cleaning Kate’s body up a bit, wrapping her in her hammock for a burial at sea. Jill dabbled in some powers, which she sprinkled on the body before the hammock was laced up. Aiden explained their actions to Aly as they went through the processes to honor their fallen.

As the ritual winds down, and other Willfuls play their part, Aiden stands, walking over to the body, then kneels.

Kate, your aim was true, and victory is ours. We ask you now for your help. Tend the gun…Guide our hands…Watch over the Willfuls as we watch over you.

Aiden looks to the other Willfuls one by one, all of them nodding their reply to his unspoken question. Even Aly nods when his eyes meet hers. His face grows solemn as he nods as well, then stands, lifting Kate’s body in his arms. As a group they line up along the rail to see her sendoff, and the bothers touch off the gun as her body is given to the sea.

As Second Captain, Kate’s role falls to me, and you all have agreed. Kate took me on as her second, and now, it falls to me to choose my own replacement.

Aiden looks around at his fellow Willfuls again with a discerning eye.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 05:55 PM
Gwen finishes on the Golden Scythe, laying out the fallen for the other sailors to take care of (she doesn't know what they want done with them). She flies back to the Liza Jane and Bolt.

El Jaspero turns to Jesthik with a confused look. "She was...I- what?" He blinks to clear his head. "Yes, yes, good. Thank you, Jesthik. Well done, thank you."

He eyes the rigger questioningly. "I'm sending Gaelon off to see the Scythe into port. I'll need a second mate to replace him, at least temporarily."

Ceika
The role of Second is invaluable. Especially in such a tragedy as we saw today. An eye for the shot, the dedication to the other Willfuls, the ferocity of a caged Leviathan: that’s what I’m looking for. I saw that today, from you, Aly.

Aly seems surprised at being named, but she nods.

If'n yer sure abou' tha... it'd be an hon'r. I'll try no' t'let ye d'wn.

Aiden nods with a bit of a smile.

You won't, Aly... you can be certain of that.

Tantolian
2006-12-09, 05:59 PM
As ya say Capt'n, I'll serve as ya see me fit, an I'll try ta talk a bit cleara, cause not ev'r one und'rstand's me. Jesthik stands up straight and salutes.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 06:03 PM
Alarra, frustrated, finally tosses the book casually to the side, and proceeds to just lay there, thinking, her mind doing the pacing back and forth that her body would be were she not completely exhausted.

Despite her best attempts, her mind eventually catches up with what her body was trying to tell her, that being that she used entirely too much energy fixing the ship, and just because she's annoyed or frustrated is no reason to push herself so far, and she falls into a fitful sleep.

2006-12-09, 06:09 PM
El J nods and returns the salute. "Thank'ee, Jesthik. Suddenly having the Navy against me again, I'm glad to have you around." He waves to the chaos still surrounding them. "Give Gaelon a hand getting the tub ready, he leaves at dawn. I'll...I'll be aboard Liza."

He leaps across the gap between the ships, and nods to Janae as she hands him Golden Scythe's log with a salute. "Thanks, Janae. You did well today, we all did." He nods to Brulis' corpse, still tossed against the rail. "Get that thing off my boat."

Janae salutes and rouses a crew to remove the body and El Jaspero turns to the cabin. He pauses, his hand on the door. After a tortured moment he turns away and heads up to the quarterdeck, a look of intense pain on his face. He finally stops and sits on a barrel, reading the Scythe's log by the binnacle lantern.

wxdruid
2006-12-09, 06:29 PM
Not seeing anything else she needs to help with, Gwen and Bolt go back down to their cabin.

2006-12-09, 08:58 PM
El Jaspero puts the cold mug of tea in his hand down and straightens his back. He shakes his head in amazement and closes the Golden Scythe's log.

Hell.

He tucks the book under his arm and slowly, quietly, makes his way to the cabin, nodding to Janae as he goes. He doesn't even pause this time before gliding into the darkened room, but the sight of Alarra lying in the bed still takes him back.

He stands, still and silent for a moment.

"I kept telling you I was a scoundrel, Alarra...maybe you regret not believing me now."

He takes off his hat, then slides into a chair and closes his eyes.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 09:12 PM
Alarra lays in bed, awake, her sleep having lasted only a few minutes and still looking pale and tired.

Alarra turns at the sound of El J's voice, "Explain to me what happened today." Her voice is quiet and slightly cold.

2006-12-09, 09:24 PM
El Jaspero's voice is quiet; tired, soft...and afraid.

"You need to ask? You were there. There was blood on your dress, Alarra. I killed a man. Hell, more than a hundred died today because of me." He gives something slightly more a sigh than a sob. "Ceika...they set her up. She was attacked by her own Navy, they killed her entire crew. That's what happened to her."

El J raises his head and looks at Alarra. "I declared war today. That's what happened out there."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 09:35 PM
Alarra sits up and looks at him silently for a moment.
"You knew. You suspected something like this almost from the moment you saw the ship."

Alarra looks down away from him, "You were ready for this and......and you didn't tell me."
Her voice is little more than a whisper.

2006-12-09, 09:40 PM
El J runs his hands through his hair and looks down at his desk.

"Yes." He sniffs. "Would knowing that I was prepared to murder a man in cold blood have made it any different?"

Alarra
2006-12-09, 09:45 PM
"Yes. I..." she sighs. "At least then I would have known that you trust me."

2006-12-09, 09:56 PM
El Jaspero gasps quietly in the darkness. "Alarra, I..."

He raises his head and looks at her calmly. "I'm sorry you feel that way. I was, I don't know. Trying,...trying to protect you, I suppose. You and Agneta." He looks away. "Damn fine job I did of it, too."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 10:10 PM
"Wouldn't it have been easier to protect me if I'd known I was in danger?"

Alarra slides to the edge of the bed and takes El J's hands in her own and looks up at him. "Don't be upset with me...please?" She looks at him uncertainly for a time.

"I understand why you did what you did....especially knowing what happened to Ceika...I just....I don't..." she sighs.
"What does this mean for you now?...... for us, rather"

2006-12-09, 10:26 PM
El J's voice is hoarse, barely audible. "No, not protecting you in the fight, Alarra. We've done that enough times, you had Janae with you. I knew you'd be safe. I was protecting you from me." He brushes something from his eye, but doesn't look up. "Until this thing with the Order is done, I am a condemned man, a pirate again. Without the Order's protection, there's...who knows? A dozen, maybe more, kingdoms and lords who'll pay well for the head of the Dread Pirate El Jaspero, even after all these years."

His hands tighten on Alarra's and he finally looks into her eyes. "I will not have you hang for me." Just the thought clearly makes him nauseous. "That is why I didn't tell you."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 10:30 PM
Alarra simply looks at him, completely at a loss of what to say to this.

2006-12-09, 10:35 PM
He looks into her eyes with a touch of desperation. "Promise me, Alarra. If things go bad...if I am captured...get away. Save yourself, save our daughter. Please."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 10:38 PM
"I....you're not going to get captured." She squeezes his hands even tighter, if that were possible. You aren't.

2006-12-09, 10:45 PM
El J's eye gleams with intensity. "I believed that once, too. Back when I had two eyes. Please, Alarra."

Alarra
2006-12-09, 10:59 PM
Alarra looks at him for a long time before finally closing her eyes and nodding.

She moves over to him and wraps her arms around him, "But it still isn't going to happen."

2006-12-09, 11:10 PM
El J wraps his arms around Alarra, pressing himself to her. "I'm sorry, Alarra...I'm sorry, so sorry..." He takes a deep breath, and shudders as he begins to quietly weep. "What have I done?"

Alarra
2006-12-09, 11:20 PM
"It's okay, Everything's fine....going to be fine..." She holds him tightly.

2006-12-09, 11:30 PM
El J simply clings to Alarra, trying desperately to believe her.

Alarra
2006-12-09, 11:33 PM
Alarra holds him a bit longer before steering him to the bed. "You need to sleep."

2006-12-09, 11:52 PM
He lets himself be led, but looks up at her quietly. "After what I've done...to Rulis, his crew...to us...you'd still have me share your bed?"

Alarra
2006-12-10, 12:02 AM
A tear trails along her cheek, "I love you." She says this simply, as if it's the only thing that matters.
"Nothing will change that."
She sits down beside him, "So of course I'd still...that is...Unless you don't want.." she looks suddenly worried again.
"It's your bed in any case." she attempts a half smile.

2006-12-10, 12:15 AM
He returns her gaze steadily. "No. What is mine is yours, Alarra, you know that. My bed, my ship...my heart. My burdens." He starts pulling off his ragged, battered clothing still unchanged from the battle. He gives a slight chuckle. "And the man who wouldn't want to share your bed...I don't think that man exists."

Alarra
2006-12-10, 12:21 AM
Alarra smiles and gets ready for bed herself. She gives him a long look, "Only if you share them with me." before slipping into bed with a sigh.

2006-12-10, 12:42 AM
El Jaspero caresses her hair softly, ever so tenderly. "I'll try, love. I'll try." He gets into bed and carefully puts an arm around Alarra, and they are soon fast asleep, snuggled tightly together.

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-10, 02:32 AM
((Awww man, I missed a fight. Thriss would have liked the opportunity to practice too. Stupid internet being down all day...))

Ceika
2006-12-10, 07:15 AM
Below decks, Aly is not having a good night. She writhes in her sleep, the rope of the hammock catching on some of her new wounds. She groans softly as she thrashes around, trapped between blanket and rope, the hammock swaying to accomodate her movemnts. She fights against her nightmares until the hammock flips around, dumping Aly onto the floor of the deck. Even hitting the floor doesn't phase her, and she continues to flail, hopelessly tangled in her blanket, her body damp with sweat.

With a gasp she bolts upright, panting and shivering, and tries to dislodge the blanket. After a few minutes of struggle, she frees herself from the wool and heads about her duties, haunted by something in her mind. Even though she continues to work, her hands are shanking, and she glances around nervously every few seconds.

2006-12-10, 11:00 AM
((Don't worry, Destro: if you want, go ahead and read the thread, then tell Thriss' part in the action as a flashback or something.))

Morning's light finds The Pirate King and his halfling second mate deep in conversation. "No tricks, no wild chases, no shenanigans, Gaelon. They lost a flagship and an admiral yesterday, they'll be hot for us once word reaches the Order. Get to Town, deal with the prisoners, sell the barky and then lie low until I get back. Agreed?"

Gaelon takes his orders seriously for once. "Aye. Sell and low it is." They salute and the halfling makes his way across to the patched-up Golden Scythe; Jo-Ligh raises his hand and she is soon underway, headed into the rising sun. The captain gives his own orders, and the Liza Jane spreads her own wings, swifly cutting her way to the west.

El J pauses, frowning a moment. I probably should have made sure Gwen can actually control the winds before sending Jo-Ligh with Gaelon. He shrugs. Too late now, anyway. I'm sure it'll be fine.

The smell of hot bamhacon and coffee hits his nose and he smiles. Turning to head below, his eye lingers on the haggard figure of Aly fumbling her way through a simple trimming of the sails. He fingers the heavy Naval logbook in his pocket and frowns. She deserves to know...but is she ready to know? He shakes his head and returns to the cabin to share breakfast with Alarra.

wxdruid
2006-12-10, 02:49 PM
Gwen comes up on deck. She takes a look around and casts a wind spell to fill the sails, speeding them on their journey. She wildshapes into a hawk and takes to the skies to keep watch.

Kyrian
2006-12-10, 02:51 PM
Bolt comes out on deck, and dives into the water.

2006-12-10, 03:44 PM
El Jaspero stands on his quarterdeck, delighting in the rush of wind and water. Nearly as good as Jo-Ligh, he reflects with a grin. Though I think she held herself back. Just as well...hate to lose a mast in the middle of the ocean.

He smiles as Alarra steps up behind him and slips her hand into his, her hair flying about in the wind.

"Hello, love." He turns to her with a delighted smile. "Isn't this wonderful? We'll be there in no time if Gwen keeps up this pace."

"It is remarkable," Alarra replies after clearing several strands of hair from her mouth. "But are you sure it's safe, sailing this fast?"

El Jaspero laughs broadly and pulls her tight to his side. "Eighteen knots and better, near twenty at times. Liza's a good, stiff ship, love. She enjoys a good, cracking run now and then, it's good for the boat and the crew."

Alarra tries to relax a bit. "Well...if you say so."

He kisses her and grins. "Aye, that I do. That I do." They turn and stand, arms around each other, watching the horizon before them with happy anticipation.

wxdruid
2006-12-10, 04:09 PM
Gwen, the hawk, circles high overhead.

Ceika
2006-12-10, 04:14 PM
Aly completed mindless task after mindless task, going through the motions primarily out of habit. She seems to calm down a bit as the day progresses, but she can't seem to shake the dark cloud hanging over her. Whatever her mind concocted during the night was enough to shake her confidence. She wandered between decks, sometimes pacing back and forth several times in one location before moving on to the next. There seems to be little method in her movements as she meanders from job to job.

wxdruid
2006-12-10, 05:43 PM
Gwen lands as the sun sets. She refills the sails with wind and goes to report that she has seen nothing before she heads down below to rest in her cabin.

Kyrian
2006-12-10, 05:45 PM
Bolt shadow jumps to the deck, fish in mouth, and soaked. He wanders around, eats his fish, and heads down to find Gwen.

2006-12-10, 05:53 PM
Despite being wrapped in her cloak and a pirate, Alarra finally gives in to the evening's chill; she gives El J a kiss and heads below. He stays on deck for a while, keeping an eye on the running of the ship. The comings and goings of Aly of course draw his attention but his earlier grimness is replaced with almost...approval? He leaves word with the officer of the watch for Jesthik to come speak with him when he's available, then follows his wife to the cabin for dinner.

Destro_Yersul
2006-12-10, 06:22 PM
((Yay for flashbacks! I'll do that. If my internet worked right now I'd be on here more often. Have to wait for the network to be back up...))

Ceika
2006-12-10, 09:32 PM
Exhausted from her day of drudgery, and for some reason a bit hesitant to get some sleep just yet, Aly sits down against the top rail and produces a tattered book from under her cloak somewhere and begins to read. She still fidgits uncomfortably, as though she is being watched, as she tries to pay attention to the pages before her.

Failing miserably, Aly tucks the book away, pulls her knees up to her chest and watches the water.

Tantolian
2006-12-10, 10:05 PM
Jesthik works hard through the day, makes sure his crew does the same, as well as the riggers. After he gets off shift (is relieved by the oncoming second mate), Jesthik receives word of orders and heads down to speak with Captain El Jaspero.

Thriss
2006-12-10, 10:11 PM
Thriss is thinking. He had no duties at the moment, and had finished cleaning his swords.

He's remembering the fighting. The roar of the guns, the tearing sound made by wood and rigging as they were decimated by cannon fire. But most of all he remembered leaping across to the other ship with the rest of the Lizas, swords drawn. He had fought well. It was good practice being on this ship. He hadn't understood when Rulis had ripped up the Captain's letters. He was too far away to do anything but watch, and such matters were none of his business. But he understood the order to charge, and charge he had. He had landed on the Golden Scythe, a whirlwind of metal. He was nigh untouchable. But it had been a while since he fought on a boat, and the footing wasn't as solid as he was used to. He had stumbled and taken a few hits. His chitinous carapace had saved him, turning aside most blades. But he was still lucky to be alive.

Yes, Thriss is thinking. About the ship, about the crew, and about the captain. He reached a conclusion. He liked it here...

2006-12-10, 10:13 PM
After a few moments, Jesthik emerges from the cabin with a lantern followed by El Jaspero, who is carring the Golden Scythe's logbook. They glance around the ship, then scramble into the maintops and talk quietly for some minutes.

Ceika
2006-12-10, 10:15 PM
Aly watches with a curious eye as the captain and the rigger head for the maintops, but she doesn't move any more than she has recently, adjusting her position as she keeps a cautious watch around her.

Thriss
2006-12-10, 10:16 PM
((Hey El J. What'd you think of my recap?))

Alarra
2006-12-10, 10:35 PM
Alarra comes up onto the deck and stands at the railing for a time, looking out at the sea and night sky. Her eyes are troubled and she appears lost in her thoughts.

2006-12-10, 10:43 PM
((Verra nice, Thriss.))

After some minutes have passed, the captain and his acting second mate descend again. They share a discreet glance at Aly, then part ways. El Jaspero walks to Alarra's side and touches her gently.

"Are you alright?"

Ceika
2006-12-10, 10:47 PM
Aly watches the beautiful lady, though her main attention is still on the captain as he descends from the riggings. She almost starts to say something, but thinks better of it and slumps back against the railing.

Alarra
2006-12-10, 10:55 PM
Alarra starts when El J touches her, which is surprising, considering she usually senses his approach well before he's gotten near her. "Fine. Of course, I'm fine."
She smiles up at him. "Lovely night."

Thriss
2006-12-10, 11:05 PM
Thriss stands and climbs up into the rigging. He looks out to sea, thinking of many nights where he has done the same. He wonders where his homeland is, and what's become of the rest of his tribe. But the Liza Jane is his home now, and he's happy to be here.

2006-12-10, 11:17 PM
El Jaspero looks at Alarra closely. "Darling, I-....I..." He lets the words go unspoken, but touches her hand softly. That is a question I lost the right to ask yesterday.

Tantolian
2006-12-10, 11:20 PM
Jesthik returns to the riggings, and climbs to stand beside Thriss. Watching the horizon, he breaths in the salty air.

Ya figh well, Thriss. B'n at it fer a whi'l? He asks without looking over.

Thriss
2006-12-10, 11:23 PM
I has. Fight most of life. Get very good at it, with so much practice. Thriss would smile, but not having a mouth makes it difficult.

Tantolian
2006-12-10, 11:27 PM
Wher's one li' ye from? I's can nay say as I's e'er seen on' like ye b'fore's. He now turns slightly to view Thriss better in the darkness. While there is no smile to see, the attitude can be detected in the voice that there is some pleasure.

Ceika
2006-12-10, 11:31 PM
After a little while, fatigue overtakes Aly. She stands and sighs, gives one final glance around her, and heads for her hammock, her shoulder sagging slightly. She flops down onto the rope bed and rags a blanket up over herself. She doesn't really want to close her eyes for the night, but her eyelids grow heavy and sleep soon overtakes her.

Another long and restless night begins immediately for the gunner, who shivers and twitches beneath the heavy wool blanket even as she fights to stay awake the last few moments. She kicks at the blanket until it falls to the floor, then keeps thrashing about in the hammock, curling up into a ball from time to time for warmth. She groans softly in the early hours of the night, and has been thrown from her hammock before midnight.

Thriss
2006-12-10, 11:33 PM
Far away. A desert, but close to the sea. Is what made me different from others. I doesn't mind cold or wet. Thriss shifts slightly to get a better look at the horizon, and at Jesthik. I has seen you before, I think. You is an officer, right?

Alarra
2006-12-10, 11:37 PM
Alarra merely takes El J's hand in hers and returns to staring out to sea, grasping it very tightly, as if there's so much she wants to say, but isn't, and is simply putting it all into that touch.

Tantolian
2006-12-10, 11:44 PM
I's Capt'n o' th rigg'r's, an actin sec'nd mate til Gaelon returns. He says, though it doesn't sound like he is overly impressed by the titles, and actually puts emphasis on the part of Gaelon returning.

A des'rt ya say's. I's seen one o' them in me trav'ls, nea' th sea tha is. Tis a bit way's from hea'. I didn' know tha there was ones like ye there though. Le' me know if'n is anyth'n ye need. He states the last before turning to drop down into his sleeping place in the riggings.

((any last words before I sign off - Jesthik heads to bed, go ahead and say them.))

2006-12-10, 11:45 PM
El Jaspero returns her grip, clinging to the only thing he is still sure of this evening. "It's cold, love," he whispers. "We should go below."

Thriss
2006-12-10, 11:46 PM
Thanks you. I will. Thriss continues staring out to sea, never going to sleep. He just stands there watching.

Alarra
2006-12-10, 11:49 PM
Alarra nods and turns from the railing and begins to head back to the cabin, the glint of tears barely noticeable at the corners of her eyes.

2006-12-10, 11:54 PM
El J watches her go, then whispers, "Alarra. I..." He turns and moves to follow her into the cabin. "I love you."

Alarra
2006-12-10, 11:58 PM
Alarra turns and smiles faintly at him, "I know. And I you."

2006-12-11, 12:00 AM
El J blinks in the darkness. "Good. Nothing else matters...nothing at all."

He reaches, and holds open the cabin door for her.

Alarra
2006-12-11, 12:19 AM
Entering the cabin, the couple gets ready for bed quickly and quietly and are soon cuddled together against the chill of the night. As they lay there, both turn at times and begin to say something, but through some unspoken agreement decide that it's late and such conversations ought wait for light of day. Yet even so, sleep is long in coming, as the events of the past day weigh heavily on both their minds.

2006-12-11, 08:29 AM
Morning finds El Jaspero standing on his quarterdeck, a mug of coffee in his hand. He glances to the horizon on occasion, but mostly his gaze is directed down, to the woman sleeping only a few feet below him. He closes his eye and mouths a silent prayer, then resumes his vigil.

wxdruid
2006-12-11, 08:43 AM
Gwen finishes her breakfast as she comes out on deck. She casts another wind spell to send the Liza Jane speeding on her way. She looks up and judges the weather and wildshapes back into a hawk for the day. She flies up and is soon a pinpoint in the sky, circling over the ship.

Kyrian
2006-12-11, 08:46 AM
Bolt lays around on dec and watches Gwen.

Ceika
2006-12-11, 08:51 AM
Aly wakes, screaming bloody murder. Somehow she gets her feet beneath her and lunges for the stairs, unsure of her surroundings and still soemwhat trapped in the world of her nightmares. She claws at the stairs, crawling more than running, as she scrambles for the cool open air of the top deck. On the top deck, she dodges one way then spins the other, running from an unseen evil.

Halfway across the deck she trips on Bolt, and is sent sprawling. She crawls for cover behind some barrels and curls into as tiny a ball as she can, whimpering.

Kyrian
2006-12-11, 08:54 AM
Bolt watches Aly, but decides that now isn't the time to apologize.

Tantolian
2006-12-11, 09:09 AM
Jesthik takes over from Janae for the day shift, and starts making sure that the crew are doing the proper change over as well. Greatful for the full wind in the sails, He has some of the more trusted riggers go through and check all the masts, lines and sails for anything that may need to be fixed during the day.

Jesthik watches the frantic scramble across the deck made by Aly. Though he wishes to go to see what is wrong, he reminds himself of times past, and that she is not Ceika at this time.

Once the report comes back on the state of the riggings and such, Jesthik assigns different riggers to different duties aside from the usual daily work that must be done.

Ceika
2006-12-11, 10:02 AM
After a while, Aly quiets down, though she's still shaking. Her eyes are clamped shut as she lays in a fetal position, mumbling incoherently to herself as she rocks slightly on the deck.

Tantolian
2006-12-11, 10:49 AM
Willful's get a blank't fer Aly ther, if'n she'l hav on. Jesthik calls out. Hopefull that she'll take some help, but not expecting her to at the same time.

Capt'n, ani chang's ta be made ta th d'rect'n we's headed? Jesthik says looking over toward Captain El Jaspero.

2006-12-11, 12:28 PM
El Jaspero looks up at Jesthik, momentarily in a daze of his own.

"Hmm? No, no course change. We press on." He empties his cold coffee over the side then resumes his pacing.

Ceika
2006-12-11, 12:39 PM
Aiden nods and fetches a blanket for Aly, though she reacts somewhat violently when it's placed on top of her. She flails her arms and cries out, her words slurred far beyond recognition. When she is free of the blanket again, she resumes her catatonic state, muttering quietly. Only a few words are even remotely decipherable.

hands... hard't'port... liv'ly... flames.... TH' MAG'ZINE!

With that, she's on her feet again, tensed for battle, but her eyes are wide open for the first time today. She stands, bewildered, glancing wildly around the ship, trying to figure out her situation. Her shoulders rise and fall with each rapid breath as she tries to regain her wits.

wxdruid
2006-12-11, 01:28 PM
Gwen lands lightly on the deck and turns from hawk to elf. She goes below to find some lunch.

After she finishes eating, she makes sure the sails are full of wind before she takes to the air as a hawk again.

2006-12-11, 05:30 PM
El Jaspero finally lifts his head, realizing the lateness of the day. He blinks in the growing darkness and slowly heads down to the cabin for dinner.

Ceika
2006-12-11, 05:33 PM
Aly goes to meandering aimlessly around the ship, trying to clear her head and attribute some kind of meaning to the events of the last few days. Half-heartedly, she goes through the motions of a few simple jobs as she roams.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-11, 05:37 PM
Bolt keeps an eye on Aly, sorry he tripped her up earlier.

wxdruid
2006-12-11, 05:38 PM
Gwen lands on deck and wildshapes from hawk to tabby cat, fills the sails with wind and goes below to hunt some rats.

Tantolian
2006-12-11, 06:09 PM
Jesthik turns the ship over to First Mate Janae for the night shift. Once the crews have completed the change in shifts, Jesthik heads up into the riggings to get some rest. Once there though, his stomache rumbles a bit, reminding him that he has not really ate since he heard word of the Golden Scythe. He heads down to get some food. Once obtained, he again heads into the riggings.

Watching the two ladies that have meant a lot to him. He finishes up the meal, and tries to get comfortable for a brief moment of shut eye. He does not expect to get more than an hour or so of sleep.

Alarra
2006-12-11, 06:12 PM
Dinner in the cabin is a quiet, almost awkward affair, with El J fearing Alarra had been avoiding him all day, and Alarra wrapped in her own thoughts.

wxdruid
2006-12-11, 06:13 PM
Gwen, the cat, brings a few dead rats up and drops them over the side to feed the fish. She curls up on a coil of rope and goes to sleep.

Tantolian
2006-12-11, 08:24 PM
After an hour or so of rest, Jesthik climbs out of his spot in the rat lines and starts working the lines and sails. After working for a bit, he suddenly stops in his tracks. Remembering the last two words that Aly screamed earlier in the day. He gets a far away look for a few moments until another riggers calls to him for the third or forth time.

Aye? Ya say sumth'n ta me? Jesthik asks as though he had only heard his name called the last time.

Pardon, Sir, but we was moving this line and didn't want to hit you with it, Sir. Damarien replies.

Ah, I's'l move. Jesthik looks around, apparently surprised at something he sees, or doesn't see. Jesthik moves out of the way, drops to the deck and walks toward the railings to look down at the dark water flowing by under and around the bottom of the ship.

There he stands watching the water.

Thriss
2006-12-11, 08:28 PM
Thriss drops out of the rigging, having finished his current task. He moves aft and checks to make sure all the lines are secure.

Ceika
2006-12-11, 09:50 PM
On top deck, Aly fumbles with some busywork, retying some knots that would have held just fine as they were.

Kyrian
2006-12-11, 09:51 PM
Bolt still watches Aly, but has been told that he shouldn't physically say sorry.

2006-12-11, 10:15 PM
El Jaspero sets his mug of tea on the desk and looks up from the book he's theoretically reading.

"Alarra."

His muted voice is nearly lost in the ocean of silence filling the room.

Alarra
2006-12-11, 10:18 PM
Alarra looks up from her thoughts. "Yes?"