PDA

View Full Version : The "Liza Jane" II (docked)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-12-11, 10:27 PM
"Alarra. Can...can we talk?"

Alarra
2006-12-11, 10:35 PM
Alarra looks down momentarily, but is soon looking back up into El J's eyes, a bright smile on her face that doesn't quite reach her eyes. "Of course. Always."

2006-12-11, 10:43 PM
El Jaspero's brow furrows. "Alarra, I...I wish,....I." He mutters to himself.

"You're unhappy...and it's my fault."

Alarra
2006-12-11, 10:53 PM
Alarra sighs, "I'm not unhappy, not really. Worried....yes. And confused, and unsettled.....but I wouldn't say unhappy."

She finally closes the book she's been reading, well, mildly looking at in any case. "I'm sorry."

2006-12-11, 11:00 PM
El J comes out from behind his desk and kneels on the floor in front of Alarra, taking her hands in his. He studies them intently.

"Love,...my darling, my precious love." He leans forward, resting his face on her stomach. "I'm terrified."

Alarra
2006-12-11, 11:02 PM
This causes Alarra to burst into tears.

2006-12-11, 11:12 PM
El J puts his arms around her, holding tight. "Alarra, my love, my darling...we are strong, strong together. Your love has made me so...so alive...." He takes deep, ragged breath and sobs quietly. "I will not lose you, my love. By the gods, by the ancient sea-lords themselves, I swear it."

Alarra
2006-12-11, 11:27 PM
Alarra clings tightly to him. "Good." She remains attached to him, silent, tears streaming down her face, for some time, before pulling slightly back and looking him in the eyes.

"I don't care how many important admiral's you shoot, or how many people you get angry with you, you'll not be captured."

She gives El J a look which pauses him, when it becomes clear he's about to say something.
"No. Nothing will happen to you. I'll be damned if I'm going to raise our daughter without you, Stefan."

2006-12-11, 11:39 PM
El Jaspero takes a sharp breath and looks at Alarra in amazement. "You...you. Called. Me."

He smiles and blinks away a tear. "He actually wasn't an admiral yet, technically. But...but I think you're right. I can't imagine how, but we will raise our children together, you and I. I look into your eyes and I know it's true." He raises himself up on his knees to look her in the face.

"Aspect of Law or no...you will always be a goddess in my eye."

Alarra
2006-12-11, 11:45 PM
Alarra takes his face in her hands and gives him a long kiss. "Of course it's true. I'm not letting you out of my sight."

2006-12-12, 12:04 AM
He sighs, low and sweetly. "My love...there's nowhere else I would ever want to be." He gives her a long, gentle kiss and reaches to let her hair down. They smile, privately sharing their newfound confidence, and are soon snuggled together in bed under a stack of quilts, worries cast aside at least for one night.

Alarra
2006-12-12, 08:30 AM
Come morning, Alarra slips off to a hidden corner on the deck where she can read and watch the waves. She glances at El J, who's off talking to some crew member or another, and smiles.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 09:09 AM
Aly forces herself to remain awake through the night by doing menial chores, not wanting a repeat of the previous nights. Though she looks a little haggard for her efforts, the galley has seldom been as clean. Aly's eyes are bloodshot and puffy, but she continues on her way, staring off into nowhere.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 10:35 AM
Gwen, the tabby cat, wakes up and stretches, she goes down to the galley and winds herself around the cook's legs, begging for scraps. :-) The cook gives her some fish for breakfast. She purrs as she munches it down. After eating she goes up on deck where she fills the sails with wind and changes from cat to hawk, taking to the skies for the day.

2006-12-12, 10:41 AM
High above the Liza Jane's deck, the Pirate King smiles to himself. Ostensibly here to inspect the rigging and keep an eye on the weather, his true object of observation is quietly reading a book to herself and sipping tea. He reaches out into space and slides down a stay, landing on the deck with a soft thump.

He turns to head up to the quarterdeck with a grin, and is nearly bowled over by a frazzled readhead sailor not watching where she's going.

"'vast there," he says to Aly, putting a hand on her arm before she can flee. "...Falconsblood, isn't it? Second Captain of the Willfuls, killed any number of Scythes the other day, both gun and knife...good to see your shoulder's healed, but you look terrible, lass. I'll not have one of my finest guns handled badly, nor a boarder like yourself nodding off in the midst of an action. Get some rest, sailor, whatever it takes. Captain's orders." He nods crisply, then heads off to share a few quiet words with Alarra before stepping away to pore over a set of charts with Janae.

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 10:46 AM
Bolt wanders around and sniffs at Jaspero, but seeing that the captain is busy he wanders over to Alarra, sitting down beside her.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 10:58 AM
Aly's eyes widen as when the Pirate King confronts her and she freezes at his touch. She swallows hard at his orders but nods sharply, turning on her heels to head below. She lays down in her hammock and clutches her blanket desperately, slowly forcing her eyes closed, yet dreading the images in her mind.

At first, her eyes fly open at just about every sound, her senses overly alert, but she forces them closed again, trying to follow the captain's orders. After a little while, her fatigue overwhelms her and her eyes remain closed.

Alarra
2006-12-12, 12:03 PM
Feeling restless and useless, Alarra finally puts her book and tea away and sets about the ship to see if she can find anything that needs fixing. Liza's in pretty good shape, but she does find a dent or two to smooth out before she gets bored again.

She watches the others work for a time before sighing and heading off to find El J.

2006-12-12, 12:12 PM
El Jaspero looks up from the charts with a smile. "Darling, hello. You look wonderful as ever." He gestures to the maps. "Just a few more days, thanks to Gwen."

He gives her a curious look. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about sleep disorders, would you?"

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 12:31 PM
Jesthik keeps the ship on course, and the sailors busy. He seems nervous about something, and watches Aly until she goes below for rest. Jesthik makes sure that at least one other competent person is always near the helm in case he needs to leave it quickly.

Through the day, Jesthik keeps his eyes watching the horizon, as well as watching to make sure the crews are doing their jobs. Now temporarily in charge of a shift, he has the deck hands running a few different deck runs to improve their response time in case something happens. And while still technically in charge of the riggers, he has them working on their responsiveness as well.

He also has the crew form a report for him on the state of the full ship, and then fix any minor problems. As there are no major problems, he has nothing further to note in his log, and has the men resume their duties.

Alarra
2006-12-12, 12:34 PM
((why as a matter of fact, i took an exam on them this very morning...=P ))

"I don't know, I might....what's going on?"

Ceika
2006-12-12, 12:58 PM
Belowdecks, Aly tosses in her sleep, held fast in her hammock by her blanket, which she had laced between the rope for that very purpose. She mumbles somewhat incoherrently as she thrashes helplessly about.

2006-12-12, 01:31 PM
El Jaspero looks troubled. "It's our friend...Aly...she looks terrible. Haunted, even. Dovis says she's got nightmares something awful, crying out in the night...when she does manage to sleep at all. She needs help, doesn't she? How do I do that, when she's still skittish as a rabbit?"

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:01 PM
Gwen spirals down to the deck and turns back into herself. She walks over to El J and waits politely for him to notice her.

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 05:02 PM
Bolt's ears perk up when he sees Gwen and he runs over to her, jumping up to lick her cheek.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:06 PM
Gwen hugs Bolt and scratches behind his ears, Miss me, silly cat?

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 05:06 PM
Yes. It was lonely out here last night.

2006-12-12, 05:09 PM
El Jaspero smiles to see Gwen appear. "Ahoy, my good druid! Something I can do for you?"

Alarra
2006-12-12, 05:10 PM
Alarra smiles a nod of hello to Gwen before turning back to El J.
"That's terrible. I'd imagine there could be a spell to calm her mind and induce sleep, but that'd be more like a drug than any real long term help for what's ailing her."

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:11 PM
More something I might be able to do for you and your crew. I have plenty of herbs and remedies in with my belongings. I should have offered earlier, but I have plenty to treat any member of your crew for minor ailments. Problems like stuffy noses, indigestion, sleeplessness, etc.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 05:12 PM
After a hard-fought battle, Aly bests the blanket and is free. Still half-asleep, she crashes into a wall on the way up the stairs, but it doesn't seem to phase her. She claws her way to the topdeck, shouting incoherrent, if authoritative, orders and waving her arms as though she's trying to direct the crew into action. Reaching the open deck, her glazed eyes are trained to the north as she continues screaming incomprehensibly.

2006-12-12, 05:14 PM
El J smiles to the women, then raises an eyebrow at Aly's arrival.

"I suppose it's not much of a secret who I'm concerned about any more, is it?"

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 05:14 PM
Bolt tries to hide behind Gwen when he sees Aly.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:17 PM
Gwen watches Aly for a moment and then starts slowly towards her, talking softly the entire time.

Alarra
2006-12-12, 05:18 PM
Alarra looks on in concern.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 05:21 PM
After Aly comes rushing out yelling things, Jesthik looks around, eyes go distant for a moment, then he springs into action, leaving the helm, and heading toward Aly.

Ta' th helm mate! Jesthik orders to the near by sailor.

In a straight line path, Jesthik heads for Aly. Upon reaching her, he grabs her. On fire. He yells. Abruptly turning with Aly held firmly, he heads to the side of the ship and throws her clear of the ship.

He steps back for a moment, then does a running leap, catapulting himself over the top rail in the same general direction as he threw Aly.

With two large splashes, they hit the water, hard.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:23 PM
Gwen looks at all this in shock and then looks over the railing.

Alarra
2006-12-12, 05:23 PM
With a surprised look of confusion and concern, Alarra runs over to the railing as well.

2006-12-12, 05:25 PM
"Overboards! Back the sails!"

El J roars his orders and the Liza slows with surprising speed before the swimmers are left too far behind. He stands at the rail with an unreadable look on his face as ropes are thrown into the sea, and the crew
begins lowering a boat.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 05:26 PM
Aly flails in Jesthik's arms, trying to get free, but he is too strong. She is easily pitched over the side of the ship, and screams all the way to the water. She hits hard, the collision knocking the air out of her, and she gasps for breath, taking in about as much water as air. Slowly, she stops struggling and goes limp in the water.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:26 PM
Gwen cuts the wind spell

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 05:28 PM
Jesthik, once regaining his breath, swims toward Aly to make sure she is ok.

Once he reaches her, he rolls her onto her back and starts swimming back toward the ship, hauling Aly behind him.

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 05:29 PM
Bolt runs off and finds some blankets and brings them out to Gwen.

2006-12-12, 05:30 PM
Seeing that Aly is safely caught by Jesthik, orders the boat hauled back up. Several sailors throw ropes to Jesthik, to help him get back aboard.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 05:31 PM
Aly's eyes are closed when Jesthik rolls her over, but she is still breathing. She doesn't offer any resistance as he drags her along behind. To anyone looking, she almost appears to be smiling. Almost.

wxdruid
2006-12-12, 05:31 PM
Gwen takes the blankets from Bolt and has them ready for Aly and Jesthik.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 05:36 PM
Jesthik treads water for a bit near the ship. Sorry. He says to Aly.

He looks up to the lines, but continues treading water for the time, actually enjoying the feel of water on his skin. A feeling that he has not felt for a while.

2006-12-12, 05:38 PM
El Jaspero leans over the railing, his arms crossed.

"Mr. Jesthik," he calls a bit cooly. "If you don't mind, I do have a ship to get underway."

Ceika
2006-12-12, 05:40 PM
She opens one eye to look around her and blinks a few times to get accustomed to the brightness. Looking at Jesthik, she shrugs off his appology. She grabs hold of a rope and starts to pull herself up out of the water.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 05:42 PM
Finally, he grabs hold of the lines and hauls himself out, and up the ship.

2006-12-12, 05:42 PM
Jesthik and Aly are easily hauled aboard by any number of willing hands. El Jaspero turns from the scene once Aly is safely bundled up by her gunmates.

"Ahoy there! Raise sail."

He gives Jesthik a look and beckons him over.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 05:45 PM
Jesthik nods to Aly and her gun crew, then heads toward Captain El J to apologize for his actions, as well to find out what else is needed.

Ceika
Aly seems a bit confused as she is swarmed by her comrades, then bundled up and scooted along by her fellow Willfuls. They try to talk to her, but her attention lingers on Jesthik and the captain.

wxdruid
After everything is ready, Gwen fills the sails with wind and goes down below to her cabin.

Kyrian
2006-12-12, 05:46 PM
Bolt follows her.

2006-12-12, 05:55 PM
El Jaspero leans close to Jesthik, but his words are still audible. "Mister Jesthik. Next time you decide to risk the life of one of my crew, I'd at least like a bit of warning beforehand."

He whispers something else, then turns to address the crew. "As you were! Make the course south by west." He touches Alarra's hand and they smile, then head into the cabin for dinner.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 06:10 PM
Aly listens to El J's reprimand with curiousity, wondering whose life it was that Jesthik risked. The other Willfuls watch her carefully, but Aly seems to be ok for the moment.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 06:30 PM
After the reprimand, Jesthik nods. Aye, Sir, I's'l try ta let ye know ahead o' time if'n ther be a next time, Sir. He backs away from Captain El Jaspero, turns and takes a blanket from a crew mate, then heads back up to the helm.

He nods to the sailor that took the helm for him. If'n ye knows wha's good fer ye, don' be doin tha, kay. He says as he retakes the helm.

2006-12-12, 08:41 PM
El Jaspero and Alarra emerge from the cabin, wrapped against the cold and damp. They sit together on the quarterdeck, talking softly while they sip mugs of cocoa and watch the stars wheel overhead.

Tantolian
2006-12-12, 10:29 PM
Jesthik, still wet, turns the helm and the ship to Janae. He also tells her of the days events that led up to him being soaked. After some prompting from Janae, Jesthik finishes drying off. Jesthik sits on a barrel near the helm, and enjoys the view of the ocean and the stars, glancing occasionally over at Janae.

I wonder if there is anything there. Jesthik thinks to himself before returning to watching the waves below.

Ceika
2006-12-12, 10:42 PM
Aly goes about her duties with vigor for the rest of the day, refreshed and trying to prove something to someone, perhaps to herself. She senses that she has done something wrong, but not entirely sure what. She seems more rested than she has been for a while, but after some prompting, she goes below to get some sleep anyway.

She doesn't even bother with the blanket that lies on the floor beneath her hammock, but flops down on the rope and pulls her book out of her bag. She scribles a few things in it the tucks it back away and just relaxes for a while. After a few hours, she drifts off into an uneasy slumber, tossing lightly through the night and whimpering occasionally.

2006-12-12, 11:18 PM
"Darling..it's late."

El J smiles at Alarra and nods. "Yes, love, it is. It's easy to lose track of time out here, isn't it?"

They stand a bit stiffly and make their way down to the cabin, hand-in-hand but each lost in their own thoughts.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 12:55 AM
There is a sound coming from one of the holds near the bottom of the ship. It sounds like a stack of barrels is knocked over, followed by a barely audible "woops, shhhhh"

Alarra
2006-12-13, 08:16 AM
Alarra wakes and slips from the cabin early. Not as early as El J of course, who's been up and about the ship for a couple hours now, but early all the same. She pours a cup of tea and finds her same secluded corner. Though she has a book open on her lap, she doesn't read, but merely stares out to the horizon.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 08:52 AM
Gwen eats her breakfast and comes up on deck. She fills the sails with wind and takes to the skies in hawk form. She stays high above circling for most of the day.

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 08:55 AM
Bolt comes up on deck, and lies down out of the way. Not that people notice him.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 08:57 AM
Aly wakes with a bit of a start, but not nearly as bad as the previous days. With a sigh, she wipes the sweat from her brow and climbs out of her hammock to begin the day's routine. She still glances around nervously, but at least she's apparently in a bit better shape than she has been.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 09:02 AM
There is a sound of shuffling coming from one of the holds, like someone was re-arranging a bunch of the crates. It is followed by a loud hammering.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 09:04 AM
Curious about the odd noises, Aly heads below to investigate.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 09:10 AM
In the far stern of the ship, the noises seem to eminate from the portside cargo hold. The hammering is a slow repetative, but as one gets closers they hear words following each blow.

*bang* "shhh" *bang* "qwiet" *bang* "shhh" *bang* "shuddup board"

Ceika
2006-12-13, 09:17 AM
Aly draws a pistol and keeps it at the ready as she creeps forward to investigate. She rounds a corner to view the portside cargo hold, where the noises seem to come from and watches curiously for a few moments, trying not to be noticed while she observes the commotion.

2006-12-13, 09:19 AM
El Jaspero paces the quarterdeck, gazing at his hands with a grim look.

Why...how could Agneta put me in chains?

Graklok
2006-12-13, 09:24 AM
Aly would see the back of a large half orc/half orge, trying to patch a hole in the ship behind a bunch of crates. He is busy swinging his club to get a board into position, but after each time he hits, he holds his hand to his mouth telling the club to be quiet. Around the board there is some wood debri and rolling along the floor one stray cannonball.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 09:29 AM
Aly's eyes narrow, not recognizing the half-orc as part of the crew. With a soft click, she draws back the hammer on her pistol.

You there. Stop. What're you doing?

By her tone, it's obvious she is not asking questions, but demanding information.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 09:35 AM
Graklok hear the voice behind him. He drops his club as he spins around. He spots the pistol, and ducks behind a crate off to the side.

Don' shoot, don' shoot. Graklok no make hole, Graklok ony fix it, stop water.

He cowers behind the crate, holding his head down tucked between his kness. The board he was banging upon has a small stream of water appearing from behind it, but it appears to be holding in place two cracked pieces of the hull.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 09:43 AM
Getting a reaction far different than she expected, Aly takes the hammer back to its neutral state and lowers the gun. She raises an eyebrow in curiousity as she watches the cowering half-orc.

Th' Cap'n know yer 'ere?

Graklok
2006-12-13, 09:51 AM
Uh, no. Graklok hide here when Graklok hurt town guy. Graklok mean no harm. Graklok jus get way from powice, dey put Graklok in jail. Graklok help load stuff on ship, den hide here where no one see. Boom ball come through side, bring water. Graklok hold boards in pwace, but den slip and more water come in. So try put board over hole. Graklok swear no mean harm guy...he starts trying to explain both the why and how he got into the cargo hold of the Liza Jane.

((Yes, El J knows I was going to post here, and no, no one knew Graklok stowed away on the ship.))

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 09:56 AM
Gwen spirals down and lands near Bolt, she wildshapes from hawk to tabby cat and goes over to him.

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 09:57 AM
Bolt watches Gwen the tabby cat, and rolls onto his side.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 09:58 AM
((Gotcha.))

Aly listens to Graklok's explanation with mock interest, though her eyes are watching intently.

Aye, th'n... Yer a stow'way. We'll be bring'n thi t'Cap'n's attent'n. Bu' righ' now, Le's ge'tha' hole patch'd up, eh?

Aly tucks the pistol back in her belt and goes to fetch some pitch to help in the repairs.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 09:59 AM
Gwen purrs and starts grooming him behind his ears.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 10:06 AM
Graklok stops his cowering. A small smile comes to his face, and he goes to getting the board firmly into place again, then smearing pitch upon it when Aly returns with some. It gives less trouble this time around. ((As things do when your not worried about being queit when working on them.))

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 10:09 AM
Bolt purrs and licks Gwen's cheek.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 10:13 AM
She purrs and continues to groom him.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 10:15 AM
With the repairs made, she motions sternly for Graklok to follow her and she heads topside to try to locate the captain.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 10:16 AM
Graklok follows Aly, head hung low as he looks sheepishly about.

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 10:18 AM
Bolt tries to pull Gwen closer with his paw.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 10:21 AM
Gwen lets him {cat} I'm sorry I haven't been down here much

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 10:24 AM
Bolt starts grooming Gwen {cat} It's ok. There's just nothing for me to do to help.

Ceika
2006-12-13, 10:28 AM
Seeing that the captain is busy, Aly looks for another officer to talk to.

Graklok
Graklok eyes the cats curiously as he an Aly walk by headed to topside.

wxdruid
Gwen settles down next to him and purrs {cat} You're a sweet cat Bolt, I love you. I'm glad that you are here to keep me company.

Kyrian
2006-12-13, 10:30 AM
{cat} I like being with you, Gwen. Especially when I'm the pillow.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 10:32 AM
Gwen purrs with the compliment and curls up next to him

Tantolian
2006-12-13, 10:56 AM
Jesthik maintains the heading of the ship. He occasionally yells out orders to correct different things.

When Aly comes on top deck he watches her for a bit. When the large half-orc follows her to top deck, Jesthik eyes him and tries to remember where he has seen him before. Remembering that this half-orc is not crew, and where he has seen him, he calls out, Aly, who's tha behin' ye?!

Ceika
2006-12-13, 11:00 AM
Aly turns her attention to the temporary second mate, and trots over to speak with him, Graklok in tow.

E's a stow'way, sir... foun'im b'low decks.. Wasn't caus'n trouble, what I c'ld tell, bu' e's a stow'way non'th'l'ss. Figur'd e's gotta be report'd, eith'r way.

Alarra
2006-12-13, 01:52 PM
Alarra slips quietly up behind El J, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, "What is it?"

2006-12-13, 02:26 PM
El Jaspero visibly relaxes at Alarra's touch. He turns to her and gives what is intended to be a reassuring smile.

"What? Oh, love. It's noth-"

I trust you.

He lets out a breath and his eye tightens a bit. "A dream. I think I dreamt about Agneta last night."

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 03:07 PM
Gwen, the cat, wakes up and stretches, she renews the wind spell and changes to a hawk. She takes off into the blue sky.

Tantolian
2006-12-13, 04:39 PM
Aye. Jesthik says to Aly. He has one of the nearby sailors take the helm. He steps over to look over the half-orc.

Ye got's a name lad? Or ye go by lad? Jesthik asks looking up at the half-orc. An' why's ye on de Liza?We's couda used on' like ye in th figh'. Ye ain' Ordah, ye was in de town, eh?! Jesthik pauses to give the large half-orc a chance to answer some questions, and explain himself.

Alarra
2006-12-13, 05:05 PM
"Oh?" Alarra gives him an inquisitive look of concern, as normally dreams of their soon to be daughter make him happy.

Graklok
2006-12-13, 05:12 PM
((Quick response to Jesthik, then I won't be back til morrow. NPC Graklok to do whatever aside from jump off the ship - not a good swimmer. Or maybe do....whatever :smallwink: ))

Me Graklok. Graklok gots in figh in town, hurt guy. Graklok sure be 'rested, so help load ship den hide from powice wit load. Graklok dunno orda, buh Graklok fwom town. Graklok help figh by fixin hole, but stay hidden cuz Graklok dunno how swim. Graklok sorry's snuck 'board, but help in an'way pobble.

((Translation: Got in a fight in town, hid aboard the Liza as it was preparing to set sail by picking up stuff and loading it on from the shore. Doesn't know anything about the Order. When cannonball came through ship, he worked on fixing the hole it created, that's when Ceika found him. He's sorry he snuck on board, and he'll help in anyway possible :smallsmile:. S'ok to call him lad. ))

Graklok says this looking at his feet, occaisonally looking up at Jesthik, but quickly returning to staring at his feet as he explains himself. He's acting very timid at this point as he's not sure what's going to happen to him.

2006-12-13, 05:48 PM
El Jaspero looks at Alarra, matching her confusion. "I can't understand it. She..." he unconsciously flexes his wrists. "Agneta was the same girl I've been dreaming of all along. So beautiful...just like her mother...and I loved her so much, Alarra. I knelt, reaching for her and,...and she..."

His voice breaks, but he presses on. "Alarra, she put chains around my wrists. She bound me. And I let her. She wouldn't tell me why, no matter how many times I asked." He brushes a tear from his eye and looks into Alarra's eyes. "I could hear you weeping as she led me away."

Tantolian
2006-12-13, 06:27 PM
Jesthik assigns Graklok to help with heavy lifting duties on the ship, and that he will need to report back to Jesthik in the morning for tomorrows work.

((Basically, Graklok is on day shift until further notice.))

Once Graklok has gone to start his new duties, Jesthik waits until Captain El Jaspero is free to report to him of this stow-away, and the decision he made under the circumstances.

Alarra
2006-12-13, 07:58 PM
Alarra pales slightly, but tries to give El J a reassuring smile, taking his hands in hers, "You've been so concerned about the possibility of being captured after the other day, it's only natural that concerns of it would find their way into your dreams. That's probably all that it is."

2006-12-13, 08:26 PM
He grins weakly and caresses her hands. "Yes, yes...that must be it. Too much worrying...and I can't imagine why." He looks into her face and, at last, smiles with a real warmth. "I have you to protect me."

El Jaspero suddenly gives Alarra a quick, but strong kiss. He looks into her eyes, then nods to the setting sun. "Gulls, love. We'll see land tomorrow."

Alarra
2006-12-13, 09:25 PM
Alarra looks surprised and suddenly very apprehensive, "So soon?"

2006-12-13, 09:35 PM
Trouble returns to El J's face. "Yes, Liza is a fantastically quick ship, and Gwen's been keeping up a steady wind." He looks at her with concern. "Isn't that good? We're nearly there, love." El Jaspero smiles lovingly. "Alarra...you're almost home."

Alarra
2006-12-13, 09:45 PM
Alarra smiles and shakes her head, "No, no....of course it's good. It's just.....been a long time."

2006-12-13, 09:56 PM
He looks at her carefully. "Yes, I suppose it has. I...I keep forgetting that. I'm sorry...it's not too soon, is it? It'll still take us a day or two to actually get there once we land."

Alarra
2006-12-13, 09:58 PM
"No...it's fine....good. I'm just a little nervous. It's silly."

2006-12-13, 10:09 PM
El J touches Alarra's arm gently, and he looks into her eyes with a smile.

"Silly? Hardly, love. You have every right to be nervous. We're about to walk for two days across an uncharted wilderness, to find...what? We have no idea. I'd be nervous too."

He takes her hand and gives it a squeeze. "But I will be there with you. I swear it...whatever we find, I will face it with you."

Alarra
2006-12-13, 10:11 PM
Alarra wraps her arms tightly around him, "And I'm so glad."

2006-12-13, 10:17 PM
El J closes his eyes and beds to kiss her hair. "I am too, love..I am too."

El Jaspero and Alarra stand in the quarterdeck's growing darkness, arms around each other and smiling silently into each other's eyes. The stars rise and the sea whispers, but there's a differnece in the air...beneath the familiar smells of salt and sky, there is just the faintest whisper of pine and earth.

wxdruid
2006-12-13, 10:46 PM
Gwen spirals back down, she renews the wind spell and changes back to elf. She and Bolt go down to their cabin.

Alarra
2006-12-13, 11:27 PM
Alarra sighs and smiles up at him, "Tomorrow...hmm?" She turns back to face the water and a slight shiver races up her spine.

She turns back and takes his hand, grinning. "Then I suppose we should get some sleep."

2006-12-13, 11:39 PM
El Jaspero smiles and takes her hand. "Yes...we have a big day ahead of us, I think." He tugs her hand as she turns to go, and pulls her into a long, gentle kiss. "I love you so much, Alarra. I just wanted you to know that."

Alarra
2006-12-13, 11:46 PM
Alarra smiles and gives him an adoring look. "And I you darling. More than anything."

After stopping at least four more times for kisses, the couple finally makes their way into their cabin and cuddles quickly into bed against the chill night.

2006-12-14, 07:08 AM
Dawn finds El Jaspero on deck again as the Liza Jane approaches a distant shore. He smiles and directs the crew in the approach, slowly heading in to the bay he has seen before only in dreams. Gentle, grassy plains overlooked by forested hills rise to the west and the scent of plants is heavy on the air.

He returns to the cabin as the laborious process of dropping the anchor begins. Alarra's eyes flutter open as he bends to kiss her forehead.

"Welcome to the Empire of Briun, my darling."

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 08:44 AM
Gwen wakes up and goes on deck to watch the shoreline. If El J needs wind....he has it.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 08:46 AM
Bolt comes up and rubs up against Gwen's leg, purring.

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:01 AM
Gwen reaches down and scratches behind his ears.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:03 AM
Bolt purrs and looks up at her. I love you, Gwen.

Tantolian
2006-12-14, 09:06 AM
Jesthik helps First mate Janae navigate the ship in, then he begins helping the crew to get everything prepared with dropping anchor, putting away the sails, and making sure that the ship is safe and in good condition. Jesthik also looks around the area for the best places to make landfall with the life boats. He yells at some crew to get the life boats ready in case they are needed to take people ashore.

Once these tasks are complete, Jesthik stands by to wait for further orders.

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:10 AM
Gwen kneels down and hugs Bolt. You're a sweet cat, Bolt. Looking forward to setting paw on land again?

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:12 AM
Bolt licks Gwen's cheek, Yea, but I do miss Jesion. When will we see her again?

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:13 AM
We'll see her when we go back home.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:16 AM
When's that?

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry Bolt, I don't know. We can ask El J later and see if he knows.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:23 AM
Bolt purrs and lays his head on Gwen's shoulder (if she's still hugging him) Stay with me?

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:24 AM
I'll be with you Bolt, I won't leave you behind.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:25 AM
Thank you. Bolt licks Gwen's cheek again and gives her a smile.

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:35 AM
Gwen hugs him again and stands up to watch the shoreline.

Kyrian
2006-12-14, 09:37 AM
Bolt sits down next to her, once again happy he came.

wxdruid
2006-12-14, 09:41 AM
Gwen pets him as she wonders what will happen next.

Ceika
2006-12-14, 09:42 AM
Aly pitches in and helps with the deck work as land looms closer. When there's a pause in the work, the toll of the nightmares is more visible as her bloodshot eyes dart nervously about, but as long as there's work to do, Aly managed to hold her own.

2006-12-14, 10:00 AM
"Janae, the ship is yours."

The captain's gig is lowered to the sea, and El Jaspero and Alarra are quickly rowed ashore. He starts directing the hands in setting up a shore camp, but both the captain and his lovely wife are constantly looking ashore.

((Ahoy, Lizas! I will be off-board for most of the weekend. Feel free to make up whatever adventures work for you in the bay of a wilderness land: search for buried treasure, natives attack, go for a picnic, whatever. We should be headed back to Town Monday evening.))

Ceika
2006-12-14, 10:11 AM
Aly watches from the deck as the captain and his wife are rowed ashore, then sets back to work, as there is always something to be done on a ship. She does her best to keep her mind occupied with things other than her dreams.

((Aye, Captain! Actually, I'll probably be out of touch for most of the weekend too... Family obligations and such))

Graklok
2006-12-14, 10:15 AM
Graklok is up early, eager to help with the day shift duties. He listens to his shipmates instructions as they have him performing most of the heavy lifting and tugging.

Yarr, Gracky, get tha' rope pulled taunt, les ye be wantin tha ship to floa' 'way.

Otay.

Graklok spends his time performing the tasks, always followed by him saying.

Graklok finish, wha next?

((Ahoy El J, works for me too. Have a good weekend and such!))

2006-12-14, 12:36 PM
Once shore camp is established and lunch eaten, El Jaspero and Alarra turn to each other. He winks and pulls a battered ironwood walking stick with brass fittings from his shoulder bag, then reaches in again. He pulls out another walking stick, made of clear crystal shot through with lavendar and crimson veins. He hands it to Alarra by the supple green leather strap. The short, slender staff is cool to the touch, but light as a feather, and seems to strangely lighten her step.

They smile and, without needing to say a word, hold hands and head inland.

((The walking staffs grant the Endurance feat and continual longstrider and endure elements effects while held.))

Tantolian
2006-12-15, 09:01 AM
Jesthik goes through the ship very thoroughly with some select crew to find any remaining holes, stow-aways, or other damage that may have slipped notice before. There is also a full inventory of the ships holds to be done, as well as to find what supplies can be restocked from the forested land.

The crows are assigned to keep an eye for anything that may approach the bay that the ship is in. With a lot of work lined out for the crew, Jesthik starts in.

Graklok
2006-12-15, 10:58 AM
Graklok follows the repair crew around, carrying all of the lumber needed to fix holes.

Ye sure are handy Gracky, anotha plank if ye will.

Graklok hands over a board off his shoulder. The repairs go well, with each board fitted snugly in place, then sealed with pitch from the inside. To finalize the repairs, a coat of stain is applied to the patches to blend them in with the rest of the Liza Jane's hull. After the repairs are complete, Graklok goes to scraping the barnicles off of the bow of the ship. He sings as he works.

Yo, ho, yo, ho, piwate wife fo Graklok....

Thriss
2006-12-15, 04:32 PM
Thriss assists with repairs for a while, but at one point when he looks up he sees something in the distance. He decides to investigate and leaps overboard, taking off into the jungle as soon as he lands.

Tantolian
2006-12-17, 07:16 AM
The morning comes, and with the first light of day, Jesthik is already moving about the ship finding work to be done, mostly for himself.

Check the lines, check the sails, check the knots, check the wood and supports, tie downs, and braces. Then he begins reinventorying everything in the hold. He is also keep his eyes wacthing the crew to make sure he knows every face, as well as looking for new faces.

wxdruid
2006-12-17, 09:17 AM
Gwen and Bolt go to land to investigate, they come back before the ship leaves.

2006-12-18, 10:13 AM
As mid-morning light fills the bay, the figures of Alarra and El Jaspero can clearly be seen descending from the surrounding hills. The crew gives a hearty cheer at the captain's reappearance, but as the figures come closer it becomes apparent that not all is well. El Jaspero's clothes are torn and dirty, and a freshly-healed cut runs up the side of his face from chin to hairline. Alarra leans heavily upon him, almost in a daze, her hair disheveled and eyes red from weeping.

They stalk silently through the shore camp and El J helps her into his gig, then wordlessly follows. A single glare from the Pirate King summons a crew to row them back out to the Liza Jane; upon arrival Alarra immediately heads to the cabin and El Jaspero follows, pausing only long enough to bark, "Strike camp and weigh anchor. We sail for Town in an hour." before joining her and closing the door behind them.

The ship's officers look at each other a moment, then break into the flurry of activity that will get the ship underway as quickly as possible.

((The Lizas ahoy! It's homeward bound we are; I'm going to assume that anybody who went ashore made it back in time unless you specifically want your character left behind in an uncharted, barbaric wilderness.))

Graklok
2006-12-18, 10:32 AM
Graklok begins helping with the quick cleanup of the repair tools, and also with the stowing away of any items left up on deck. He hauls crates containing salts and spices, oils and sweetners, & timber and coal for burning below into the holds.

Ceika
2006-12-18, 10:33 AM
Aly watches the captain and his wife as they approach, growing concern etched deep in her weary eyes. She's one of the first to respond to his call, scrambling to get the ship underway. The nightmares still plagued her, though when she she awakes, only the haunting feelings remain.

2006-12-18, 12:01 PM
Thick and dry for weighing, ma'am.

Thick and dry it is. All hands to make sail!

After an hour of frenzied activity the frigate is again underway, bound eastward for the Town, under Janae's watchful eye. There is no word, no sound from the cabin. The hands cast an occasional nervous eye to the door, but set to their work with efficient, quiet care.

wxdruid
2006-12-18, 03:56 PM
Gwen, of course, fills the sails with wind.

2006-12-18, 05:37 PM
Darkness falls on the frigate as she speeds eastward, but there is still no word from the cabin. Even Victor, El Jaspero's beloved and ancient steward for dozens of years, shies away from the locked door. The crew's unease is palpable, but yet unspoken.

2006-12-19, 10:27 AM
Morning finds Alarra and El Jaspero on the quarterdeck, looking at least cleaner if not much better; they both still bear a haunted sadness like a heavy cloak. After recieving his officers' reports and giving a few quick orders, El J joins Alarra at the aft rail, watching the boat's wake stretching out to the west. They do not touch, do not speak, but even the most casual observer can see that they have no need to. They simply stand, watching the sea pass beneath them in shared silence.

Graklok
2006-12-19, 12:28 PM
Graklok keeps busy doing as he told, but he takes occaisonal glances up at the quarterdeck, wondering what's going on.

Gracky, don be starin' off. Keep tha boom tight an batton down dem ropes. We donna wan to it to run an' knock someone ova'bard 'kay!

A crew member warns Graklok. Graklok refocuses his energy on the two ropes he has in hand, tying them tight around the clove hitch.

Alarra
2006-12-19, 02:08 PM
After a time, Alarra reaches out toward El J's hand. It's an unconscious movement, born of long ingrained habits and a desire to assure herself that he's still there, will always be there. She stops her hand inches away, and looks at it, then up at him with tear-filled eyes. "No" Her voice is barely audible over the sounds of wind and sea. "I don't deserve you." She shakes her head and moves to head back into the cabin.

2006-12-19, 02:59 PM
El J reaches out, a gentle hand to stop her leaving. "Alarra."

He fumbles for a moment, searching for words, then speaks in a flowing, melodic voice. {Celestial} "Maybe not...if so, you deserve much better, much better. What we saw and did, no person should have to face. But at least we can face it together." {Celestial}

He looks to her, then away as a tear runs from his eye. {Celestial} "Gods, Alarra... your home...I'm so sorry, love. I'm so sorry." {Celestial} He reaches for her, weeping.

Alarra
2006-12-19, 03:16 PM
Alarra folds herself against him and they stand weeping together. When she looks up at him, her eyes convey a pain and sorrow too deep for words. "I shouldn't.......I don't.......I...I.." her voice catches on a sob, "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."

Graklok
2006-12-19, 04:57 PM
Graklok sees the reaction between Alarra and El J. He can sense that something is not right in the air. Turning to one of his shipmates, he questions.

Shoed Graklok go? Graklok mean Graklok go help? he asks, turning back towards the captain.

Heavans no, Gracky. Sum things are jus best lef without our messin'. Keep ya nose to da ship. Capt'n knows wha he's doin, me hopes. And affairs of da heart is jus sumtin' ya don't stick ya nose inta, less ye want a long walk on a short plank. C'mon now, help me swab the deck.

He grabs Grakloks shoulder and turn him away from the quarterdeck to do some work cleaning the main deck. After a pail is tied to one of Graklok's feet, he mops the deck, draggin the pail behind him as it slides all over the place from the swaying of the ship. It never gets too far though, being tied to Graklok's ankle. After some time has passed, Graklok begins to whistle a light song.

2006-12-19, 07:50 PM
El Jaspero and Alarra stand for what seems like hours, holding each other in their shared, secret sorrow. He kisses her hair and tries to brush away his tears as they fall into it. "...Alarra, my love...oh my love...it's not your fault, we could never have known." He touches her cheek and gazes with pained joy into her face. "All is not lost, my love. Not yet."

They smile at each other with faint, but nontheless evident confidence and take hands to head back to the cabin. Victor smiles to himself as they pass, and after a sufficiently-discreet moment heads to the galley to get their dinner started.

Tantolian
2006-12-19, 09:53 PM
Jesthik continues to shout orders to the crew to keep them moving the ship in the right direction with all the speed that can be harnessed. Eyes always moving, he watches the crew, the ship's lines and sails, as well as the horizon.

Of the information delivered to Captain El Jaspero, the state of the crew, and ship were given. Included with that was the information of the stow-away, Graklok, and how usefull he had been during Captain El Jaspero's shore time. No questions were asked, as Jesthik figured that any information would be given directly to those it pertained to.

Once released from second mates duties from Janae, Jesthik heads into the riggings to work the lines for a bit before getting some sleep.

Ceika
2006-12-19, 10:13 PM
Aly continues to keep to herself most of the time, keeping her hands and feet moving at all times when she isn't asleep, as though she can stave off the demons in her mind by staying occupied. Most of the Willfuls stay clear of her, as they quickly found out that startling her in her current frame of mind was a dangerous thing to do. Aiden watches her as closely as he dares without making it too obvious, but Aly doesn't seem to notice. She just moves from task to task with determination, working to fight off her waking nightmares.

2006-12-20, 07:01 AM
As dawn breaks, Janae heads back to the cabin to make her report but stops short, seeing the captain already on the quarterdeck, dressed in his nightclothes and a heavy wool cloak. She approaches quietly and salutes.

There's an Order pinnace shadowing us on the port-

"I know, Janae."

The first mate gives as much of a smile as she ever does. Shall I give orders to pursue?

El Jaspero opens his mouth, but is suddenly silent, looking down to where he knows Alarra is. "No...they've already reported. There's no point killing men who are just doing their jobs. Not today, at least. Unless they move to attack, neither do we."

But sir, they-

"I know. Not today, Janae."

He returns her salute then heads back to the cabin. He shrugs off the cloak and slips back into bed, smiling as Alarra instinctively puts her arm around him and snuggles closer. He caresses her hair and hums little pieces of song, but sleep is long in coming for him.

2006-12-20, 07:50 PM
Darkness falls and the hands eye their shadow with a curious nervousness. It can never be a good thing to have the Navy know where you are, especially when your captain killed a near-admiral and captured a ship of the line just last week.

Fret not, mates, says the bosun's mate. Though a human he's nearly as big as Dovis himself. He taps the black, jagged sword over his shoulder. Bloodgutter says we'll make it home yet, an' better yet things'll be fine between the captain and the missus before you know it.

He raises his ear, listening. There now, ain't that proof enough? Despite the muffling effect of two inches of darkwood, the sound of El Jaspero's voice and banjo waft from the cabin:

When the deer has bedded down and the bear has gone to ground,
And the northern goose has wandered off to warmer bay and sound,
It's so easy in the cold to feel the darkness of the year
And the heart is growing lonely for the morning.

Oh, my darling, don't you know that the stars are swinging slow,

And the seas are rolling easy as they did so long ago?

If I had a thing to give you I would tell you one more time

That the world is always turning toward the morning.

Now October's growing thin and November's coming home;
You'll be thinking of the season and the sad things that you've seen.
And you hear that old wind walking, hear him singing high and thin,
You could swear he's out there singing of your sorrow.

When the darkness falls around you and the North wind comes to blow,
And you hear him call you name out as he walks the brittle snow,
That old wind don't mean you trouble, he don't care or even know,
He's just walking down the darkness toward the morning.

It's a pity we don't know what the little flowers know;
They can't face the cold November, they can't take the wind and snow.
They put their glories all behind them, bow their heads and let it go,
But you know they'll be there shining in the morning.

Now, my darling, don't you know that the days are rolling slow,
And the winter's walking easy as he did so long ago?
And if that wind would come and ask you, "Why's my darling weeping so?"
Won't you tell him that you're weeping for the morning?

Lothren gives his sword a loving pat. Well done, lass, well done. He turns back to his duties as the hands look on in disbelief.

Alarra
2006-12-20, 11:15 PM
As the song ends, Alarra cuddles close to El Jaspero so that he has no choice but to put the banjo away and allow himself to be wrapped in her arms.

As they curl under the warm blankets, Alarra smiles, grateful that at least for the moment her mind seems to be at rest.

2006-12-21, 07:30 AM
The Liza Jane continues her eastward cruise through the night; morning reveals the pinnace again about two miles off the port beam, almost as if it were an escort. Even the greenest hand, however, feels the iron weight of the Order's flag marking their shadow as more watchdog than escort.

Down in the cabin, El Jaspero is somehow aware of the boat's companion, even though he's still fast asleep. The exhaustion of the weekend, both physical and emotional, have finally caught up with him and he rests with Alarra in a blissful, warm tangle. Dossin and the Order can wait at least one more day, it would seem.

Tantolian
2006-12-21, 08:35 AM
Jesthik checks the winds, then yells at the riggers for some small alterations to catch more of the existing wind. Le's put a bit mo' space b'tween us n' them, ay boys! He orders.

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 09:07 AM
Gwen and Bolt come up on deck and she renews the wind spell. Gwen scratches and pets Bolt before switching to hawk and taking off to observe the navy and keep an eye out for another ships in the area.

Kyrian
2006-12-21, 09:08 AM
Bolt lies down and tries to keep an eye on Gwen.

2006-12-21, 12:34 PM
Jesthik and Gwen's efforts gain the Liza a bit more room, but the Order pinnace keeps her dogged shadowing of the friate. The sailors wave as Gwen flies over, clearly unsurprised by this point to see a hawk so far at sea.

El Jaspero and Alarra make their appearance on deck following lunch, sitting in two folding chairs on the quarterdeck, reading. They hold hands and steal smiling, sidelong glances when they think the other isn't looking.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 12:38 PM
Aly watches their shadowing ship with growing concern, a terrible feeling gnawing at the pit of her stomach. She has slept some over the past few nights, but not as much as she probably needs. Still, she goes about her tasks with care, occasionally glancing behind them.

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 03:09 PM
Gwen, the hawk, stays high enough up that most of their weapons shouldn't reach her. She also scans the horizon for other ships trying to get close.

2006-12-21, 04:16 PM
From her high vantage point, Gwen can see a handful of ships of various sizes as the Liza Jane approaches more civilized waters. None fly the Order flags, and all seem to be simple merchants passing by. The pinnace makes no hostile actions towards her.

Up on the quarterdeck, El Jaspero brushes Alarra's hand as he turns a page in the leatherbound book in his lap. The living rose in his lapel blushes a deep, rich wine-red and he smiles, then stands. "Mister Redhand. A word with the Willful if you please. The red-haired one."

Lothren gives him an inquisitive look, then salutes. Aye sir, a word with Aly it is. He steps down to the deck and over to Aly, interrupting her neatly coiling a length of rope for the fourth time. He jerks his thumb up towards the quarterdeck. Captain would like a word with you, miss. He tilts his head and presses his ear to the swordhilt jutting over his shoulder. Don't worry...Bloodgutter says he ain't angry or nothing. But she does think it's important.

He nods to Aly, then heads back up to his station near the helmsman.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 04:24 PM
Aly seems startled by the request, but she lays her task aside and trots quickly up to the captain. She knuckles her forehead, swallowing hard to mask her nervousness, and nods to El Jaspero.

Aye, sir? Ye wan'd t' speak wi' me?

2006-12-21, 04:57 PM
The Pirate King eyes Aly carefully for a moment, tapping his fingers on the leatherbound book under his arm.

"Falconsblood, isn't it? You look tired. Getting enough sleep?"

Alarra
2006-12-21, 05:15 PM
Alarra continues to turn the pages of her book, appearing not to notice anything that is going on on the deck.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 05:18 PM
Aly stands her ground under his scrutiny, keeping her shoulders square and her expression resolute.

Aye, sir, 'tis. An, aye sir, I am... i's jus'...

Aly shakes her head, figuring that the Pirate King has more important things on his mind than a crewman's nightmares.

Eh. Nev'rmin', sir. I'll try t'get m're res'.

2006-12-21, 05:48 PM
The Pirate King meets Aly's eyes with a steely gaze. "If you still have trouble, see Gwen. She's my friend and a powerful healer, she'll get you set right. That's an order, sailor. Kate wouldn't want you falling asleep at your post."

He shifts and thumbs the book under his arm, making sure that Aly gets enough of a glimpse of the Order coat-of-arms on its cover. "But that's not what I want to talk about." El J inclines his head to port. "I've seen you eyeing our shadow over there. You've...dealt with the Order before?"

Ceika
2006-12-21, 06:02 PM
Aly pales slightly at the mention of a healer, but steels her resolve and nods.

Aye, Cap'n, sir.

Aly's eyes widen in fear as she catches a glipse of the order's crest on the book, and she looks up at El Jaspero qustioningly. After a moment of silence, she shrugs her shoulders.

I'm no'sure... I's seen tha' she nods at the crest on the book b'fore, I think's, bu' I's no'sure where... oth'r'n in me nightm're. Th'n t'ere' th'bluecoat o'er on th' Scythe... 'e spoke lik'n 'e knew me... 'as I seen'im b'fore? I can't r'memb'r.

Aly seems almost regretful for her lack of memories.

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 06:03 PM
Gwen spirals down to land on the deck, she changes back to herself as Bolt pads over to her. She and Bolt walk over close to El J, close enough to know she has something to say but not enough to interfere with his talk with Aly. She watches the waves as she waits.

2006-12-21, 06:10 PM
El J nods his head to Gwen, letting her know he's aware of her, then turns back to Aly.

"Just wanted to check. It might come as a surprise, but I've had friends, very good friends, quite high up in the Order's navy. Thought you might know someone. If you did, I hope they wasn't on Warsong, that beauty new '74." He pauses, watching her reaction carefully.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 06:18 PM
Aly tilts her head to the side as her brow furrows. A look of distant pain flashes in her eyes, but is gone when she blinks. It seems as though for a moment, something struck a nerve. After a bit, though, she straightens up, shakes her head and shrugs slightly.

N'sir, Cap'n. I don' thin' so. Th' name so'nds f'miliar, though.. meybe I's seen'er b'fore?

She casts her eyes downward, dejected.

Why, Cap'n? Wha' 'appen'd t'er?

2006-12-21, 06:26 PM
The Pirate King leans close, looking into Aly's eyes. "Sunk. Set afire, then her magazines went up...they say there's nothing worse, caught between fire and water. Went down with all hands, so it seems." He idly taps the book. "The shocking part? Destroyed by her own Navy, she was. They'd decided...decided the captain was a threat to them, declared her a mutineer. It's a shame...she was a damn fine captain, one of the best."

Ceika
2006-12-21, 06:57 PM
Beads of sweat begin to appear on Aly's forehead. Subconsiously, she rubs her scarred hands while she stares into El Jaspero's eyes, searching for something to make things make sense.

I c'n 'magin'... M'st b'awf'l, burn'n 'live... An' ta' kill th' whole crew... 't'ain't righ.

For a moment, Aly only seems sad and confused, but as she dwells on his words, something seems to change. Pain resurfaces in her eyes, and she closes them tight, trying to block out the raging flood as images tear through her mind. Jumbled fragments of memories, none comprehensible, swirl through her head, and Aly doubles over, clawing at her temple.

2006-12-21, 07:09 PM
The Golden Scythe's logbook falls to the deck with a heavy slap as El Jaspero reaches to support Aly. If she lets him, he pulls her close and whispers something in her ear.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 07:12 PM
Aly doesn't resist, in fact, doesn't seem to respond at all to, the captain's actions. She only grits her teeth and digs her fingers into her scalp to try to repress the cacaphony of sounds and images.

2006-12-21, 07:17 PM
El Jaspero keeps his grip on Aly, still talking to her in a low, hoarse voice.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 07:19 PM
Hearing his words, Aly forces her eyes open. There is something familiar in her eyes when she looks up at El Jaspero. Tears slide down her cheeks from the pain in her mind. She seems to relax somewhat as she listens to the Pirate King.

2006-12-21, 07:24 PM
El J looks into Aly's eyes with a fiery intesity. He tightens his grip on her shoulders. "Yes...you know me now, don't you?"

Ceika
2006-12-21, 07:31 PM
The redhead squints her eyes against the pain as she struggles against her own mind, but she forces them back open. One hand goes to her face, wiping away the tears, and tracing the scars along her cheeks as she does. She finally rights her gaze to meet his, locking eyes with him.

Jas?

2006-12-21, 07:39 PM
El Jaspero takes a long, sad breath, then smiles warmly.

"Ceika."

Ceika
2006-12-21, 07:49 PM
She looks around, somewhat confused, taking a measure of their current location. Seeing the familiar faces of El Jaspero's crew, Ceika straightens her shoulders and sighs. Her eyes fall upon the logbook on the deck, and the symbol etched into the cover. For a moment, she is frozen in place, eyes locked on the book. The coat of arms burns in her mind, the fire spreading from symbol to memory, reflected by equally intense flames deep within her eyes; her eyes narrow, and her fists clench at her sides.

2006-12-21, 07:53 PM
El Jaspero steps back, then stoops to pick up the logbook. He holds it out to her.

"Read it," he says hoarsely. "You need to read it before you burn it, Ceika. You need to know what they did to you."

Ceika
2006-12-21, 08:04 PM
She gingerly takes the pffered book. Ceika's icy eyes remain narrowed to slits, but her voice is sad when she speaks.

I know what they did, Jas... To me and to my crew. Believe me... I know.

She pauses for a few brief seconds before a realization dawns on her.

I'm sorry... I should have let you know. They'll kill you on sight if they get the chance. She glances at the tome in her hands. Looks like they already tried once...

2006-12-21, 08:19 PM
"If not what, then at least why. They saw you as a threat to the Order, Ceika. It's all there, Rulis was in on the whole thing."

He touches her shoulder gently. "As for warning me...you couldn't have. And it doesn't matter anyway, at least now they have a good reason to hunt me down." He shrugs. "Killing a captain on the threshold of admiralty has that effect, I hear."

Ceika
2006-12-21, 08:27 PM
She looks at El Jaspero with a grim, if sad, smile.

A threat? Me? They were finally catching on then?

She raises an eyebrow at her own attempt at a joke, but her humor is fleeting.

As for Rulis, he's a snake. Always been a snake, will always be a snake. But if he was involved, he certainly wasn't the only one. After all, it was Lord Kennis who ordered my arrest.

She tucks the book beneath her arm and taps its spine quietly.

Not really an enjoyable surprise, though. I'd have stopped it if I could.

Tantolian
2006-12-21, 08:29 PM
Jesthik stands by the helm, keeping the Liza on course. With the calling of Aly up to the Captain, he watches while keeping an eye on the horizon. He occasionally looks back over his shoulder to watch the Order ship and try to determine what they are doing, and why they have not struck yet.

He continues to shout orders on occasion to the crew to continue harnessing the wind. Quietly, to himself, he thanks the druid for the aid of her wind.

With the change in Aly, he wonders what is being said between the two.

Qui' mes'n roun' an geh them lines tigh', would ye prefer ta be usin' oars lads? I's sure we can range' tha'! He yells out to the crew.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 08:32 PM
Ceika spins suddenly, hearing the familiar voice. She searches the deck for the source, and her expression lightens a bit when she sets eyes on Jesthik. She waits to see if she can meet his gaze, and answers with a smile and a nod if she can.

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 08:35 PM
Gwen renews the wind spell for the night and sits down next to Bolt. He half climbs in her lap as she scratches behind his ears.

2006-12-21, 08:39 PM
El Jaspero chuckles and looks at Alarra with a touch of nervousness. "Rulis was a snake. Now he's in forty fathoms of water with an eighteen-pound ball at his feet and a hole in his forehead. I'm sorry about the loss of Warsong, Ceika...she was a damn fine ship." He adjust his eyepatch with a grin. "A damn fine ship...but I might have a replacement for you, assuming it still floats and Gaelon got it back to Town safely."

He touches Ceika's arm and nods his head to Jesthik. "At least not quite all hands were lost. He's been worried sick about you."

Tantolian
2006-12-21, 08:46 PM
Seeing Aly spin around, he looks at her questioningly. When she smiles at him and nods, he wonders if she actually recognizes him, or if it is simply acknowledging the order. Jesthik nods in return.

Being the end of his shift as second mate, he turns the helm over to Janae for the night shift. Firs' Mate Janae, I's kep' 'er on course, an tried ta make some dist'nce frm tha Orda ship ba' ther'. We's lot close'a tha' wha she'd be willin an attack anyw's. I's thin' we'll make it in, bu' nay sure if'n she'll por' or nay b'hin' us. After giving his report and turning the helm over, he waits to see if Janae has anything for him before he heads into the riggings. His eyes seem to wander though toward Aly as he is still wondering about the smile.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 08:47 PM
Ceika turns her attention back to the Pirate King, with a slight grin.

He's still a snake, Jas... just, a dead snake. She scoffs slightly. I'm just sorry you got to him before I did. She nods with a bit of a sigh. Thanks. She was a damn fine ship indeed. She served us well, and for that, she'll be well remembered. But she was just a ship; timber and tar. A Navy tub at that. There'll be other ships. The crew can't be replaced as easily.

Thriss
2006-12-21, 08:52 PM
Thriss came up out of the hold, carrying something wrapped in cloth. Hellos everyone. He climbs a short way up into the rigging and stares off behind him, watching the other ship.

2006-12-21, 09:08 PM
Janae returns Jesthik's slaute with a slight smile. Very good, Jesthik. Good night, and sleep well.

"No, not easy at all. But they'll come when you call." El J gives Ceika a fond embrace. "It's good, so very good, to see you again, Ceika. I'll have your things moved into an empty cabin, you really do look like you could use some rest."

He suddenly smiles and his lapel rose flares brilliant crimson as Alarra sneaks up and slips her hand into his. "Ceika? Is that really you?"

Ceika
2006-12-21, 09:13 PM
Ceika smiles and returns the embrace.

Believe me, it's good to be back. It'd be apprecaited, Jas.

She turns her attention to Alarra, still smiling.

Aye, for the moment... at least, it seems to be. It's good to see you, ma'am, I hope all is well?

2006-12-21, 09:18 PM
Alarra smiles and gives El J a sidelong glance, then gives Ceika a friendly hug as El J turns to give a few quiet orders. "Yes, of course. Certainly nothing we can't handle."

Thriss
2006-12-21, 09:22 PM
Captain? I find something back on big tree land. I thinks I should discuss with you. Is sorry I doesn't have time sooner. Thriss looks down from his perch in the rigging.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 09:26 PM
Ceika grins at Alarra and returns the hug.

Good to hear. A friend's good fortune is always a blessing. I am pleased to...

Ceika's voice trails off as she spots the ship to the port side, and the flag hoisted upon the mast. The fire returns to her eyes as they narrow once more, fixed on her prey.

2006-12-21, 09:29 PM
"Been there two days now, just tracking us...'scuze me."

El J nods up into the rigging. "Just a moment Thriss, first things first." He kisses Alarra before she heads below, then walks over to where Gwen is sitting. "You wanted to talk to me earlier?"

Thriss
2006-12-21, 09:31 PM
Yes Captain.

((Dinner. Back soon, hopefully soon enough that you'll still be here))

Ceika
2006-12-21, 09:36 PM
Ceika's expression fades into a sadistic grin, and she nods.

I see. Well, please go right ahead. I've got other matters to attend to, anyway. Don't wait for me. I'll catch up.

With that, Ceika suddenly sprints for the railing, careful not to bump into Alarra as she darts past, and flings herself over the aft rail. She dives gracefully, slipping into the water with not even a splash.

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 09:38 PM
Gwen looks over at El J, Bolt purrs in her lap. I've only seen the one Navy ship, there are several others out there, but only the one Navy ship.

2006-12-21, 09:41 PM
El Jaspero nods, but his relief is evident. "That's good, very good. We might not have outrun their eyes, but at least we're faster than the Order's fists. Anything else interesting out there?"

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 09:48 PM
Not unless you intend on stopping to pillage, Cap't?

2006-12-21, 09:52 PM
El Jaspero glances to the stairs Alarra just went down; his lapel rose flushes a rich purple and he shakes his head. "Not today, no. She doesn't need any more chaos in the world right now. Thanks for keeping an eye on things, Gwen." He grins at the railing where Ceika just leaped into the water. "Though I think there'll be one less thing to watch in the morning."

wxdruid
2006-12-21, 09:54 PM
Good, We're heading down to bed, see you in the morning. Gwen stands and Bolt follows her down to her cabin.

Tantolian
2006-12-21, 09:59 PM
Jesthik, having seen Aly go overboard and dive into the water below, suddenly does a double take at the near perfect entrance into the water. I ain' seen 'er do tha' since, ... Ceika!!! He thinks to himself. He promptly drops from the riggings and heads over towards Captain El Jaspero.

Pard'n Capt'n, bu' twas tha' Aly, or Ceika tha jus jumpt ova'board? He asks.

2006-12-21, 10:02 PM
El Jaspero claps Jesthik on the shoulder with a smile. "You think Aly could have done that? Of course it was Ceika; she's back, Jesthik!" He grins wildly.

Graklok
2006-12-21, 10:05 PM
Graklok comes up from below deck He smiles at the crew, then goes about making sure all of the lines are taunt and knots are secure.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 10:10 PM
For several minutes, nothing changes. No head surfaces in the water behind the ship, and no movement, save for the churning wake, can be seen.

A crack of thunder disrupts the stillness as an exposion splinters through the hull of the Order ship. The crew on board scramble to make repairs, but it is evident within a few moments that their efforts are futile.

Thriss
2006-12-21, 10:12 PM
Thriss stares off at the now floundering other ship. I should learn how to do that... Then he remembers that he wanted to talk to El J. Captain? Is first things done now?

2006-12-21, 10:14 PM
El Jaspero stands at the rail and gives a low whistle.

Captain? Shall we stop to pick up survivors?

He watches the burning pinnace with a grim fascination. "No, Janae. Speed is the only weapon we have against the Order right now. Besides, the navy knows where they are. A rescue won't be long in coming...if Ceika leaves any survivors."

He looks up into the rigging to see if Thriss is back from dinner yet.

((Nice timing, there.))

He turns to Thriss. "Yes, all done. What's afoot?"

Thriss
2006-12-21, 10:20 PM
((Thanks))
I find this on big tree land. See it in distance and run to it, see what it is. Thriss hefts the cloth wrapped package. Is in old building ruin. Crumbling stone, vines, has to climb high to get it. Thriss unwraps the cloth around the package. I was thinking, I is part of crew. I should show Captain, maybe he know what to do with it. Thriss clicks his mandibles and finishes unwrapping the package. He pulls back the cloth and reveals a gold idol in the form of a coiled serpent with emeralds for eyes. What does you think?

2006-12-21, 10:24 PM
El J takes an interested look at the statue for a bit. "It's beautiful, Thriss. Found it in a temple or something?"

((El J's eye: detect magic, detect evil, detect poison.))

Ceika
2006-12-21, 10:27 PM
A soft, wet scraping sound can barely be heard before there's a hand on the aft rail, and Ceika swings back over the aft rail, a bundle wrapped in waterproofed leather tucked beneath her arm. Sopping wet, she walks over to El Jaspero with a satisfied smirk.

Logbooks and charts, Jas. Figured you might want a look.

She offers him the bundle. Surprisingly, the documents within are not even damp.

Thriss
2006-12-21, 10:27 PM
((Some residual magic. It scans as faintly evil, but clearly hasn't been activated for a very long time))
I supposes. Is all crumbled and broken and covered with plant stuff. I thinks it is very old. Thriss thinks for a second. Is probably temple. Not like any temples at home though. More dark.

Graklok
2006-12-21, 10:31 PM
Graklok brings Aly a towel. Here you go mis. Graklok want to tank you fer not shooting Graklok. Towel get you dry.

2006-12-21, 10:41 PM
El J nods to Thriss. "It's clearly ancient. I wish Aililyn were still here, she could likely tell us something about it. It's clearly worth a fine penny just for the materials, maybe more to a collector." He nods to Thriss. "You found it, lad...you can keep it if you want."

He takes the satchel from Ceika with a grin. "You are back. Good to see...any survivors?"

Ceika
2006-12-21, 10:42 PM
Ceika nods at Graklok and takes the towel, patting some of the water out of her clothes. She does seem a little unsure how to respond to his comment though.

Sure... anytime. And the name's Ceika, not "miss".

She grins back at El Jaspero.

A few, I'm sure. I hope they can swim.

Thriss
2006-12-21, 10:43 PM
Thanks you Captain. Thriss wraps it back up in the cloth and, carrying it under one arm, climbs a little further up into the rigging.

2006-12-21, 10:51 PM
El J nods to Ceika. "The Order won't be far away, and knows where they are. They won't have long to wait now." He stifles a yawn. "Come to the cabin in the morning and we'll go through this together. For now, we both need some rest."

He salutes Janae and heads off, then turns back to Ceika. "It's good to see you again...Captain Ceiblayde." He grins, then goes down into the cabin.

Thriss
2006-12-21, 10:54 PM
Thriss continues to watch the horizon. Order? Maybe I gets some practice before dock after all...

Ceika
2006-12-21, 10:55 PM
Ceika grins and nods.

Good to be seen... feels like it's been a while. Rest does sound good though. I'll see you in the morning, Jas.

She glances back up at Jesthik again before heading toward the hatchway.

Tantolian
2006-12-21, 11:03 PM
Jesthik watches Ceika climb back onto the ship from his view point up in the riggings. When she looks up to him, he salutes in a way that most might find strange, a salute from before they were forced to go Order. He continues to watch from his position, glancing back to the now wreck of an Order ship.

Ceika
2006-12-21, 11:07 PM
She grins at his response, nodding to him with a reasuring wink. If he had any doubts who he was dealing with beforehand, he should have none now. Ceika lingers a few moments longer, watching Jesthik with a proud, somewhat smug, expression, then heads below to get some rest.

Graklok
2006-12-21, 11:20 PM
(Doh, little late getting back to respond. Forgive the slight shift in time)Graklok jus smiles as he hands over the towel. Otay, Seeka. he turns before she can figure out anything more and gets back to work, thinking for sure he thought her name was Aly, but like any thought with Graklok, it passes quickly.

(G'Night all!)

2006-12-21, 11:24 PM
In the cabin below, El Jaspero smiles as he eases himself into bed and snuggles up to Alarra. "Darling," he says as he wraps his arms around her. "I think our luck just turned."

Alarra
2006-12-21, 11:34 PM
Alarra smiles and curls against him. "I hope so. We could use something good about now."

2006-12-21, 11:40 PM
El Jaspero smiles, holding Alarra close, then gently caresses her belly. "Soon, love, soon...something very good indeed will happen." He kisses her and snuggles a bit closer. "Until then, today will have to be good enough."

They squirm a bit further into the covers and are soon fast asleep, wrapped in each others' arms.

--------------------

The frigate is by herself in a disk of untroubled sea as morning's light strikes the water. Only a few gulls far to starboard remind the hands that they aren't alone in the entire world. They whistle and sing fragments of songs, confident that the ship's famed luck has returned with the remarkable transformation of Aly last night. Order or no, they're confident and merry.

Down in the cabin, the captain blinks awake, slowly rising to consciousness. He turns to see Alarra at his side and smiles, then gently caresses her hair. It was not a dream after all. He grins as she makes a soft little murmur and presses herself to him, then pulls her close and falls back to sleep.

Ceika
2006-12-22, 09:59 AM
Morning finds Ceika not below decks, but kneeling on the jibboom, greeting the wind and waves as the ship plows onward. For the first time in a long time, there is a smile on her face as she balances precariously on the forebeam, tasting the salty spray.

wxdruid
2006-12-22, 11:07 AM
Gwen comes out on deck with Bolt, she sits for a while scratching and petting him before she renews the wind spell and takes to the skies as a hawk.

2006-12-22, 11:45 AM
Several of the Liza's old hands wave up to Ceika on her perch, glad to see her back in form. Dovis gives her a salute as he makes his way up the foremast to tend a frayed ratline. Ahoy there, ma'am. It's good to have you aboard again, Adm-...Captain Ceiblayde. He ducks his head sheepishly and gets back to work.

Alarra and El Jaspero make their appearance after a late breakfast, standing on the quarterdeck and talking quietly. A new light of hope seems to fill them and they sip mugs of tea, frequently touching each other to emphasize a point and smiling in the brilliant, but crisp sunlight.

Tantolian
2006-12-22, 11:51 AM
Jesthik drops out of the riggings, and goes to man his day post as second mate behind the helm. G'mornin Janae, here ta take me place. Any orders fer th' day? Or ye s'pect tha' we'll be makin por' t'day? He asks Janae with a salute that he holds til after it is returned.

2006-12-22, 02:44 PM
Janae eyes the horizon, easily picking out a handful of merchantment far off to starboard. Should be this evening, lest I'm mistaken. She returns Jesthik's salute crisply. Thank you, Jesthik. I suppose you'll be heading off with Captain Ceiblayde when we reach port, so I hope you'll forgive my saying that it's been a pleasure working with you again. She gives a quick nod, then turns to speak to the helsman.

Kyrian
2006-12-22, 06:13 PM
Bolt watches the skies, waiting for Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-22, 08:41 PM
Gwen, the hawk, spirals down to the ship. As she touches down next to Bolt she changes back into her elven form. She lovingly scratches behind his ears as she tiredly sits down.

Kyrian
2006-12-22, 08:42 PM
Bolt licks Gwen's cheek before he lays his head in her lap, purring.

wxdruid
2006-12-22, 08:51 PM
She renews the wind spell before petting Bolt. She wildshapes into a tabby cat and curls up next to him, very tired.

Kyrian
2006-12-22, 08:52 PM
I missed you. Did you have fun?

wxdruid
2006-12-22, 08:59 PM
{cat} Plenty of ships to look at, none of them navy

Kyrian
2006-12-22, 09:01 PM
Bolt begins to groom Gwen, unless she objects.

wxdruid
2006-12-22, 09:02 PM
She purrs and falls asleep.