PDA

View Full Version : Does Tarquin care about Elan?

valce
2010-11-22, 12:31 AM
I'm leaning toward 'yes'.

Also, to be clear, I mean 'care about Elan' in the father-son sense.

Reasons to think Tarquin cares about Elan:
1. He's a father, and we're inclined to believe that about fathers in general
2. He was unhappy with Kilkil for trying to extort from him in front of his son
3. He put on a parade and took Elan out to do father-son stuff
4. He seems to overestimate Elan's status in the group (a particularly fatherly thing to do)

Counter-arguments:
1. This is a story and Tarquin is not a normal guy
2. ?
3. He could be manipulating Elan, or overestimating his intelligence
4. ?

Reasons to think Tarquin doesn't care about Elan:
1. Many wives, probably more than just two children. Where are the rest?
2. He obviously wants to use Elan for something
3. He's probably Evil

Counter-arguments:
1. They could be alive and well elsewhere...
2. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want to do it for Elan's good
3. He might not be (? But it's hard to claim that he isn't evil, after his 'surprise')

I dunno. I guess mostly, I just really want to believe that Tarquin isn't totally rotten, because he's an awesome character :)

calar
2010-11-22, 01:48 AM
I'm going to go for that he does in fact care, in an evil maniacal dictator sort of way. The imprisonment of Kilkil being the major factor of that. Also there has been a decided lack of evidence that he doesn't love Elan, with the only possible incident being the "destiny of the country will be in your hands" bit, which in itself isn't too evil. As for him being evil, it doesn't dictate that he won't be protective of his family, any number of gangster movies come to mind.

1. Many wives, probably more than just two children. Where are the rest?
Strip 571 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html), he has no other children.

tassaron
2010-11-22, 01:52 AM
I'm inclined to believe that he does love Élan just because that would (imo) make him a more interesting antagonist. Whether his love is conditional on Elan's reaction to his alignment is another story, I suppose. How sad was he to see Nale go? Doesn't seem like unconditional love in that case. Hm.

RMS Oceanic
2010-11-22, 02:05 AM
I think in many ways Tarquin is behaving the way Elan has been behaving. If he has Elan's outlook, regardless of his intelligence in other ways, then it maybe one of his flaws that he imagines everyone to have the same alignment as he does (at least for good-evil purposes) until two-hundred foot burning letters prove otherwise. At the moment, it might be that Tarquin hasn't twigged about what his son finds acceptable.

Cerlis
2010-11-22, 02:12 AM
he barely met elan.

He's ensured he wont have any more children because of the result of 50% of his offspring (nale)

he doesnt even know Elan. He doesnt get how stupid he is, or that he wouldnt be ok with Tarquinn's action.

So if he DOES love somebody, its a version of his only son that hasn't betrayed him that doesnt exist.

He may love his fictional idea of who he thinks his son is

but one son has already turned on him and he put out a death warrant on him

His second son to betray him will get the same treatment probably.

RipperOfShirts
2010-11-22, 02:22 AM
Nothing that says being evil forbids you from loving your children.

Besides, the man made his men undertake an epic task to set up a surprise for him. I mean, chasing down slaves, setting them up, getting the flammables all the way out there in a short space of time is not something someone does for just anybody you know

Cizak
2010-11-22, 03:01 AM
2. He was unhappy with Gannji for trying to extort from him in front of his son.

Fixed it for you.

TreesOfDeath
2010-11-22, 04:17 AM
He does, though he also views him as a tool to use.. i think.
But hes shown hes care for family, at least.

Killer Angel
2010-11-22, 04:39 AM
Does Darth Vader care about Luke?
Yeah, sort of.

Sandman
2010-11-22, 05:39 AM
3. He's probably Evil

Do you want it in giant flaming letters to be sure?.... Oh wait that didn't work.