PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Ideas

Gralamin
2010-11-22, 01:14 AM
Usually I am full of encounter ideas, but when I sat down to make a campaign unspecific encounter, I found my head clouded and unable to focus. This is probably because I have a lot on my plate from school, etc. currently, but it is... strange.

Because of this I've come to get encounter ideas from the internet. System is unimportant, what is really important is the basic tactical situation.

Any ideas?

Tvtyrant
2010-11-22, 01:30 AM
1. Ambush by a large group of low level enemies who are well set up. They set the trees on fire to limit visibility, they have a bunch of archers firing out of rocks and then retreating, etc. They mistake your group for a group of ____killers who tend to hunt them in bands for the bounty.

2. Someone is killing local merchants, and your group is hired to find him/her. Turns out the killer is an assassin belonging to the local lord, who you have to bring to justice.

3. A local cult has summoned (actually Called, big difference) a fiend (devil, demon, daemon, slaad, all up to the OP) and it is planning something big. The group has to enter the cultists layer and kill it, but find something shocking.

4. The local Goblins have suddenly become extremely warlike and successful; they have somehow found Worgs to ride and are using better tactics then anyone has ever seen before. The locals towns are being sacked one by one, and you have to save one that is under attack. Woops, the goblins are following a Bargheest.

5. A woman named Lyria is a world famous musical performer, whose looks and talent draw the attention of suitors from across the kingdoms. She hires the group to protect her from one particular suitor who is scaring her (its an outsider or aberration that has fallen in lust with her).

6. Gold has been found in the mountains of ____. Out compete the other humanoids that have flocked there for the gold, and then a dragon takes it from you, leading to a dungeon crawl/dragon slaying.

7. The Castle has long been abandoned, with good reason. The Wizard who ruled it generations ago turned to necromancy, and he sacrificed his people to make an army. A group of adventurers burned the place, but its ruins still stand as a testament to its evil. Enter and discover that the wizard, now a horribly burnt lich, still resides there.

8. An archon recruits the party in closing a local portal that has opened to the abyss. You have to enter the portal to close it, and it turns out the archon was a demon all along. Now you have to escape the abyss!

9. A new weapon was created by the King of _____, and he has rolled over several nations with it. Your party decides to break in and steal the plans for it, only to find out its not what they think (its actually a Hellfire Engine he traded his soul for).

10. A strange blight killed all of the plants in a local forest 28 days ago. Now all of the trees have come back to life as flesh eating plants, and attack the cities around them. No one is safe from the undead plants!

Dr.Epic
2010-11-22, 01:36 AM
Kobold random encounter (or something tougher if they're higher level).