PDA

View Full Version : Would you play this?

Cerlis
2010-11-22, 02:49 AM
ok, so this was inspired by a total of 3 random posts in different threads over recent.

Now, what if yall where talking about playing a game (and assume the DM is ok with it, and everyone plans on playing different classes for a well balanced group) one of the group decides it would be fun to all play awakened animals (possibly all of the same Class/species. I.E. All Canines, or all Felines. but not necessary it could be fun mixed). My main idea was all canines and assuming best case scenario I think it would work and be fun. Was imagining.

St. Brenard or German Sheperd Paladin-You got the look, the nobility and the power
Golden retriever or Jackel Rogue or some other "domestic" dog". Thus besides the paladin you got a animal that can infiltrate the city.
Wolf Druid-One of the strongest and fiercest of natures protectors in the canine world
Coyote Bard-They are smart clever, and Coyote (with a captial C) is so awesome (If you dont read Gunnerkrigg Court you should)
Fox Wizard or Sorcerer- "Clever as a fox"

Have this image of thorns sprouting from wolf fur, a Fox's nose to the ground as he summons a Fiend, Coyote jumping in and out of the brush yelping magical battle calls. Two dogs in the city chasing down evil doers.

It would be complicated and some tropey DnD things (Talking with human NPCS and picking locks) would have to be scrapped or delt with

But assuming a best case scenario, what do you think?

Kaww
2010-11-22, 02:56 AM
I think you would have huge problem shopping, looting etc. Most things that require manual dexterity would be denied to you. On the other hand you would have no trouble sneaking around, until you become famous...

Cerlis
2010-11-22, 02:59 AM
yes but assume you had a way to deal with all that. Im talkin bout the theme here.

Kaww
2010-11-22, 03:07 AM
Best case scenario: You have a nice time with your friends, playing/joking all the time, not caring who's playing what.

Regarding the canine party - I think I wouldn't DM this, I would enjoy playing under Best case scenario circumstances. Then again I enjoy playing anything under these circumstances, but these campaigns don't move in any sensible direction and the DM cries... :smallsmile:

Killer Angel
2010-11-22, 03:29 AM

As a player: decisely not a campaign, neither a long adventure. A short adventure (a couple of sessions, with pre-generated "PC"), totally yes.

As a DM: Funny idea, maybe I'll steal it. :smallwink:

Psyx
2010-11-22, 06:21 AM

Fun for a one-off or series of a couple of connected scenarios, but not fun as a campaign. Essentially the game is very 'alien' feeling and niche. Plus, you're removing one of the methods of advancement from the game - phat lewts. This probably plays even more into the caster's hands as well.

Susano-wo
2010-11-22, 03:56 PM
I'd play it, given an interesting enough plot. If you want magic gear, thought you'r going to have to have patrons, or also have opposable thumbs :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-11-22, 04:09 PM
All characters need ranks in Perform: Play cards.

Yea, entirely for the lulz.

Dust
2010-11-22, 04:43 PM
I guess I have to be the odd man out and say no, if the GM pitch was specifically for all the same race. I might be enthused about the idea as a whole, but playing the game type of awakened animal would instantly kill it for me.
I feel that a lot of D&D's charm comes from not only the class and goal differences within a party, but the race differences as well. Instead of having all the PCs play the same species of awakened animal, choose a handful of same-CR options for them to pick from.

Let's be honest. Would you rather play this;
http://www.hotdisneymovie.com/images/Disney%20Movie%20101%20Dalmatians%20II.jpg
Or this?
http://www.sugarscape.com/userfiles/Bolt%201Sheet%20(small).jpg

Part of the tried-and-true hollywood formula for films with 'animals who act like people' is a diversity in the animal types. Four different types of canine is less interesting overall than a rat, a bat, a dog and a squirrel.

randomhero00
2010-11-22, 04:45 PM
hah, I'd play this so long as I had a serious game running as a sort of backup in case this one went south. Its an interesting idea.

My group has played with awakened animals before and it has gone quite well. But not the whole party, just one person was an awakened.

Fhaolan
2010-11-22, 04:47 PM
http://skirmisher.cerizmo.com/items/93-the-noble-wild-pdf-download

In other words, yes. And it was fun.

Actually the fun one we didn't even use this ruleset. It was a play-by-post on this boards where all the characters were Worgs (with one insect-person for variety). It was going quite well, and one of the avatars down below is the character I played, a worg barbarian. There was a worg paladin (played by my wife), a worg druid, a worg bard, etc. It was quite a pack. :)

Tengu_temp
2010-11-22, 04:59 PM
I'd play it only if the players are reincarnations of powerful good deities that fell into obscurity because nobody believes in then anymore, and who slowly regain their powers as the game progresses and they perform good deeds and fight evil.

Kaww
2010-11-22, 05:06 PM
You have to be tortoises for that campaign...
Also, you might have problems from Snoopy: "No dogs allowed"

erikun
2010-11-22, 05:24 PM
Bunnies and Burrows?

The first problem is that D&D doesn't really have much of a distinction between dogs. There's a fair bit of difference between a Chihuahua and a Huskie, but in-game they're all the same small-sized creature. Perhaps you could make some variety with a choice between the wolf and riding dog, but that still isn't saying much. I like Dust's idea of different animals, as having a dog with tripping, a cat with pounce, a monkey with thumbs, and so on is more interesting than a group of four cats with otherwise identical features.

And ultimately, what are you planning on having them do? Finding something to eat to survive begins to feel a bit silly around 6th level, when the cleric can magically create food. It might be fun for a bit, especially with something silly like a frog monk or eagle grappler, but an extended campaign sounds like it would become a chore. I certainly wouldn't want to play a combat-heavy game as a bunch of animals.

hamishspence
2010-11-22, 05:43 PM
Bunnies and Burrows?

The first problem is that D&D doesn't really have much of a distinction between dogs. There's a fair bit of difference between a Chihuahua and a Huskie, but in-game they're all the same small-sized creature. Perhaps you could make some variety with a choice between the wolf and riding dog, but that still isn't saying much.

Variant dogs do exist though.

Mastiff in Races of Faerun, which can be used to represent a Moonshae Moorhound, is a Medium sized dog that is not a riding dog.

Climbdog in Arms & Equipment Guide has a climb speed.

And there's a War Mastiff in Heroes of Battle.

Templates could be used to modify existing animals- the Young template from Pathfinder, applied to a Small dog, could be used to model Tiny dogs, like chihuahuas.

This thread:

Wolf Warrior homebrew PRC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162856&highlight=Kezef)

has a list of most of the vaguely canine (magical and otherwise) creatures in D&D- with pics.

Ormur
2010-11-22, 07:12 PM
Sure, although I'd probably pick a class that minimized the difficult of having no opposable thumbs. Not sure I'd be willing to do this for a whole campaign but I'd be willing to try it for a few sessions. I've always liked the animals behaving like people premises.

grarrrg
2010-11-22, 08:28 PM
St. Brenard or German Sheperd Paladin
Golden retriever or Jackel Rogue
Wolf Druid
Coyote Bard
Fox Wizard or Sorcerer

You forgot these
Chihuahua = MonkTruenamer. Both are worthless.
Labrador = Barbarian. Both are big and dumb.
And I'd put a Terrier or some such as Rogue, Retrievers just strike me as too big and too straight forward. Not as cunning as Terriers.