PDA

View Full Version : Symbolism of flower with five petals

rakkoon
2010-11-22, 04:23 AM
Hi,

A friend had a pin with a flower with 5 petals on it. He doesn't want to tell me where it comes from, only that it means that he need to look at the world with the wonder of a five year old. It has nothing to do with a sect or religion but is connected to some kind of organisation. Does anybody know which one?

Regards,
Rakkoon

Brother Oni
2010-11-22, 07:31 AM
Hi,

A friend had a pin with a flower with 5 petals on it. He doesn't want to tell me where it comes from, only that it means that he need to look at the world with the wonder of a five year old. It has nothing to do with a sect or religion but is connected to some kind of organisation. Does anybody know which one?

Regards,
Rakkoon

What colour is the flower and is it a generic flower or a representation of a particular one? Does he wear it in any particular spot?

rakkoon
2010-11-22, 07:35 AM
It was just a pin on the lapel of his coat. Think it was blue but not sure, don't know what type. The five was important and my google fu isn't working.
I found a sect that uses the word wonder a lot and he said it had nothing to do with a religious sect.
I'm just curious because I like symbolism a lot :smallsmile:

the Riddler
2010-11-22, 07:45 AM
Well, sort of reminds me of the meaning of the pentagram as a symbol of the microcosm (that is, the individual man's self & psyche reflecting/reflected in the world around him/her), each point of the star being associated with one of the traditional four elements + Spirit.
Putting it in the guise of a flower seems to actually be a way to underline a "wondrous" feeling of sort with which that particular symbol may be felt or lived (the flower being sort of a "feminine" symbol, thus related to an emotional/receptive way of living - which suits well a feeling of constant wonder towards life itself)

...But all of this may very well be my Knowledge (arcana) stretching things out, and I do blame mr. Crowley for that :tongue: Could be an interpretation, though.

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-22, 10:16 AM
According to my Google fu...

The five-petaled flower (specifically the rose, but not always) is a symbol of the "feminine mystique". Lots of stuff to do with some Roman and post-Roman religions. Given that this person was not talking about that...

There are two likely possibilities:
1. Somebody made some bull up within the past century and this person buys into it.
2. This person is prevaricating somehow.

Telonius
2010-11-22, 12:40 PM
Five-petaled rose? I know that's standard symbolic fare for Rosicrucian alchemy. Scottish Rite Freemasonry makes some use of the symbol as well.

TSGames
2010-11-22, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Regards,
Rakkoon
I don't know about the five petals, but it is not the first time I have heard the sentence "to look at the world with the wonder of a five year old." The previous times that I have heard it stated have been in reference to Taoism, or as an interpretation of the infamous "Flower Sermon" that was given by the Buddha. Interestingly enough, I believe the last time I heard this phrase was in the book The Tao of Wu, although I may be mistaken on that point. But, I have digressed, below is one of the better tellings of the flower sermon, spoilerred for length.

Toward the end of his life, the Buddha took his disciples to a quiet pond for instruction. As they had done so many times before, the Buddha’s followers sat in a small circle around him, and waited for the teaching.

But this time the Buddha had no words. He reached into the muck and pulled up a lotus flower. And he held it silently before them, its roots dripping mud and water.

The disciples were greatly confused. Buddha quietly displayed the lotus to each of them. In turn, the disciples did their best to expound upon the meaning of the flower: what it symbollized, and how it fit into the body of Buddha’s teaching.

When at last the Buddha came to his follower Mahakasyapa, the disciple suddenly understood. He smiled and began to laugh. Buddha handed the lotus to Mahakasyapa and began to speak.

“What can be said I have said to you,” smiled the Buddha, “and what cannot be said, I have given to Mahakashyapa.”

Mahakashyapa became Buddha’s successor from that day forward.

I am sorry that I cannot give you anything more definitive at this time.

the Riddler
2010-11-22, 04:01 PM
Kudos to both the previous users, actually the flower as a symbol of innocence/wonder/purity is quite universal :smile:

http://www.prs.org/images/linart/mros.jpg

(on the other hand, it would be nice to at least see a picture of the flower that brought us here :tongue: )

rakkoon
2010-11-23, 03:50 AM
Freemason of Buddhism. Interesting.
Now to choose whether to ask him further or not.
There is respecting someones privacy and being nosy.
I'm the second part :smalltongue:

Brother Oni
2010-11-23, 08:02 AM
Freemason of Buddhism. Interesting.

Easy way to find out which one he is - ask him for the 'special' handshake. :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-11-23, 08:09 AM
There's a special Buddhist handshake? Cool !

Brother Oni
2010-11-24, 07:11 AM
Well the Zen one doesn't require a hand or a shake. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-11-24, 07:14 AM
Well the Zen one doesn't require a hand or a shake. :smalltongue:

Sure it does. You just have to figure out what the sound of one hand shaking is, and you've got it. :smallbiggrin: