PDA

View Full Version : Curse You British Customs

deworde
2010-11-22, 06:47 AM
I ordered the two big posters of Team Good and Team Evil. Just got a letter to say they're held up by VAT customs charges, and it'll cost me £14 to clear them. (The VAT + "Clearance Fee")
ANNOYING.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-11-22, 08:40 AM
I ordered the two big posters of Team Good and Team Evil. Just got a letter to say they're held up by VAT customs charges, and it'll cost me £14 to clear them. (The VAT + "Clearance Fee")
ANNOYING.

Strange. I ordered all the books from Ookoodook, (apart from war and xps which I got from eBay) and I never had any trouble.

Commiserations though. I hope you get it sorted out without too much bother.

deworde
2010-11-22, 09:02 AM
Strange. I ordered all the books from Ookoodook, (apart from war and xps which I got from eBay) and I never had any trouble.

Commiserations though. I hope you get it sorted out without too much bother.

Yeah, the books came through fine.

factotum
2010-11-22, 01:22 PM
Could be a labelling issue--if they're not clearly marked as printed material (which doesn't carry a customs charge, AFAIK) then you can get this sort of thing happening. Happened when I ordered the second book, but has never happened with any of the others!

Manga Shoggoth
2010-11-22, 04:49 PM

That's because books don't attract VAT, but posters do. I went through the same sort of thing when I came back from a stint in Atlanta with clothes, books, pictures and a couple of other things brought stateside - I had to pay duty on everything except the books.

...Although the nice customs officer did introduce a significant round-down as I had a complete list of items and prices, which made his job a lot easier...

Felhammer
2010-11-23, 01:14 AM
I've heard importing things into the UK can be a royal pain in the Flumph! :smallsigh::smallfrown:

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-23, 03:00 AM
The idea about VAT is that you don't pay in on necessities. Books are necessities, even OotS books.

So is cake!

Felhammer
2010-11-23, 04:30 AM
The idea about VAT is that you don't pay in on necessities. Books are necessities, even OotS books.

So is cake!

Food for the soul is indeed one of life's many necessities. :smallwink: