PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Raptoran Cleric Dragonfire Adept

Gnaritas
2010-11-22, 07:24 AM
For my the next campaign i want to play a flavorful character.

After a while i finished a Dragonborn Raptoran Cleric 6
I will have Bahamut as a deity and i wanted a cold flavor as well as stick with the dragon flavor.

I took, extend spell, persistent spell and DMM as feats so i can persist Ice Axe.
If allowed by the DM i want to have Winter added to the Bahamut domains and use Winter and Cold domains.
As spells i have almost only cold spells, preferably as little damage spells as possible. I do not have the list with me, but it includes:
Ice Beast I-III (Frostburn)
Ice Slick (Frostburn)
Obscuring Snow (Frostburn)
Snowsight (Frostburn, if it allows me to see through obscuring snow)
Sleet Storm (PHB)
Snowshoes (SpC, to walk over Ice Slick and Sleet Storm)
Shivering Touch (Frostburn)
....some others

I want to use a Blue Ice Full Plate and Blue Ice Shield.

And since i had flight from raptoran, i could choose between a breath weapon and the sight.

Because of the flavor i really want to take the breath weapon, but i do feel i "should" have darkvision on this character.
So i took a look around and came across the Dragonfire Adept. Perfectly in flavor. Through an invocation i can get Darkvision and See invisibility and i get part of the other bonuses i miss out on with the free Dragontouched feat.
However i am stuck with a 1d6 Firebreath ability that does not fit the character. I was hoping i could convince the DM to exchange this ability for something else, perhaps improving the Dragonborn Breathweapon by 1 HD (so i get 4d8 at level 8 instead of 9). Does that sound fair?

So now my plan is a Cleric 5/Dragonfire Adept 1. Perhaps even going into an adaptation of Eldritch Disciple.

I was hoping that anyone could give some comment on my character, perhaps a nice way to add more flavor or improve optimization. Do note that flavor trumps optimization in this case.

Oh, and the rest of my group is probably semi-optimized. Along the lines of a not perfectly optimized Warblade or a Blasting-sorceror.

<edit> oh, and i have a pic custom made for me :D
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5889/michielhagen.jpg

Myth
2010-11-22, 08:42 AM
Trying to pass off Shivering Touch and DMM Persist as flavor :smallwink:

Quietus
2010-11-22, 08:45 AM
Trying to pass off Shivering Touch and DMM Persist as flavor :smallwink:

If all he's persisting is ice axe, that's not nearly as bad as it could be. Same as a cleric DMM : Persisting a Vigor-type spell.

Gnaritas
2010-11-22, 09:04 AM
I am persisting Ice Axe and at level 10 Dragon Breath (the Silver Dragon one that paralyses).

I am spending all my 4 feats (Extend Spell, Persist Spell, DMM and Extra Turning@level 9) plus gold for 2 items (Symbol (neck slot), Nightstick (tool), which is about 20% of my wealth) and a 3th and 5th level spell to get continious Ice Axe and Dragon Breath.

I also need to have a Charisma of 14 and need to spend 14 turn attempts.

I am not stacking Nightsticks and am not taking any Domains to get the important feats.

I do not consider it overpowered, but if you feel differently please do say, because i am not aiming for overpowered.

klemdakherzbag
2010-11-22, 11:58 AM
Slightly off topic but where/who did that pic?

Myth
2010-11-22, 12:16 PM
Well I personally don't have a problem with this if i intend to run a high powered game. Normally though, you won't even get nighsticks. At all.

Shivering Touch is broken, although you don't have the 60ft. reach it can still drop a Dragon in one hit, especially with DMM.

Gnaritas
2010-11-22, 12:23 PM
Someone from a different forum. The base dragonborn was originally red based, he made it blue-based. From a different picture he took the Bahamut-Shield. This was made for a different person.
I asked him to change the weapon to the Ice Axe and provided him a picture for a dragon wings and shortly after he had it done.

I am very greatful for his help.
PM me if you want the thread on that forum.

hangedman1984
2010-11-22, 12:39 PM
i could be wrong, but from my reading of dragonborn they lose all racial features which technically include a raptoran's gliding/flight. So from my understanding you wouldn't still have flight from being a raptoran.

Thefurmonger
2010-11-22, 12:51 PM
i could be wrong, but from my reading of dragonborn they lose all racial features which technically include a raptoran's gliding/flight. So from my understanding you wouldn't still have flight from being a raptoran.

I'm fairly sure your right.

Gnaritas
2010-11-22, 12:51 PM
Unless i am mistaken they lose everything except movement modes...let me check that out.

<edit>

Page 10 Races of Dragon
The Mechanics of Rebirth
Speed: You retain your original base land speed, as well as any other modes of movement possessed by your original race. Other racial traits related to speed or movement, such as the dwarf’s ability to move at full speed in medium or heavy armor, are lost.

Flying is considered a mode of movement imho.

hangedman1984
2010-11-22, 12:53 PM
just looked back over it and i'm wrong, they keep "any other modes of movement"

HunterOfJello
2010-11-22, 01:03 PM
Races of the Dragon says, "Speed: You retain your original base land speed, as well as any other modes of movement possessed by your original race. Other racial traits related to speed or movement, such as the dwarf’s ability to move at full speed in medium or heavy armor, are lost."

In the SRD, Modes of Movement are described as Walking, Hustling, Run(x3) and Run(x4). I just checked the Rules Compendium and it lists Burrowing and Flight along with crawling and other movements in the Movement Modes section.

You might still have vestigal feather wings, but can't fly unless you choose the Dragonborn Wings. You can still fly, but your wings are made of feathers and you look like a weirdo. Also, if your race had a progression in which your wings got better, that would easily be a racial feature that you would lose as a dragonborn. The way to keep that would be to become Dragonborn after you already had 10 HD.

Note: All of this is, of course, irrelevant if your DM is fine with you keeping your wings and having them become Dragon looking wings that progress with your HD like a normal Raptoran. It's not game-unbalancing since the gains from Dragonborn aren't too signifigant and are more RP based when you aren't gaining wings from it.
~

If you're really interested in having Wings to fly with, a flame breath, and other dragon based features, you should probably just take the Red Dragonspawn template for +1 LA. It can be found in that Dragonlance book.

AstralFire
2010-11-22, 01:07 PM
I would argue that because flight is not a base racial feature of the Raptoran but something acquired later, it does not qualify.