PDA

View Full Version : The Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter

Amiel
2010-11-22, 07:49 AM
So, I've been randomly perusing Wiki pages to pass the time while I IRC chat with friends. Now, having somewhat of a more-than-passing interest in the paranormal, I gravitated towards the pages marked with the paranormal category.

The following caught my eye; the Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E2%80%93Hopkinsville_encounter). That must've been terrifying for all concerned.

Reading through it also reminded me of an..."encounter" (I can't really explain it) I experienced a while back. One wherein no direct observation was made, but unusual sounds were definitely heard. I also saw a brooding shadow near our opened side-door (leading out into the garden), although that could've also been a trick of the light.

Immediately following the next morning, I heard a heavy tread upon our front lawn. Testing it out myself, I discovered that only a remarkably heavy object or entity could have made that noise, because I certainly could not.

Any unusual experiences or sights seen or sounds heard, Playground?
And what are your thoughts on the Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter.

Worlok
2010-11-22, 08:24 AM
Thoughts on the Hopkinsville encounter? This is a Great Horned Owl (http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html) (Scroll down a little), this coming from someone who has drunkenly encountered owls before - they blur into something that looks like a silver-suit clad goblin by all means. :smallwink:

But there are more things between heaven and earth than owls one can explain sometimes. Have you ever investigated your garden-steps encounter more closely? Any tracks? Smells? Odd feats of destruction executed upon items in the area?

Starbuck_II
2010-11-22, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure, but are Horned Owls bullet proof?
They shot it point blank (more than once)...And it kept going (I note they used a shotgun/.22 Rifle).

Pretty sure most owls aren't.

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-22, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure, but are Horned Owls bullet proof?
They shot it point blank (more than once)...And it kept going (I note they used a shotgun/.22 Rifle).

Pretty sure most owls aren't.

Here's a scenario - a drunk guy shoots at something in an area with metal walls (chicken coops). The sound of bullets on metal and ricocheting is heard. Which of the following two possibilities is more likely?
1. The thing was bullet-proof
2. The guy was drunk and hit the metal walls instead, despite the short range

I know which one I'd go with.

Snares
2010-11-22, 03:45 PM
Thoughts on the Hopkinsville encounter? This is a Great Horned Owl (http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html) (Scroll down a little), this coming from someone who has drunkenly encountered owls before - they blur into something that looks like a silver-suit clad goblin by all means. :smallwink:

But there are more things between heaven and earth than owls one can explain sometimes. Have you ever investigated your garden-steps encounter more closely? Any tracks? Smells? Odd feats of destruction executed upon items in the area?

Wikipedia is refusing to load for me! It's obviously ALIENS! :O

Nah, seriously, I've heard of this case before, and it has loaded now. :smalltongue: It's really interesting. The owls are a possibility, but then again, why would the owls stay around for hours with gunshots going off everywhere? The report from the state trooper at a similar time seems very interesting too, although it's possible he could've just been hearing the gunshots from the farm. That and the police judged them to be of sound mind and not intoxicated.

Not that I believe it was aliens, though. I very seriously doubt that any extraterrestrial life has visited Earth. Just throwing things out, because I think this is one of the more interesting 'UFO' cases out there.

Worlok
2010-11-22, 03:49 PM
The owls are a possibility, but then again, why would the owls stay around for hours with gunshots going off everywhere?
They will have had a nest nearby. Some owls get extremely protective of their young, even to the point of openly defying lethal danger.

Just throwing things out, because I think this is one of the more interesting 'UFO' cases out there.
It is. It's just among those easiest to explain. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-11-22, 04:57 PM
Like these people had never seen an owl before their whole life. And surely the children were drunk, I mean this is Kentucky and that's all they do there. :smallsigh:

I honestly find the "It was an owl. Everyone was to drunk to notice" to be a little more then insulting for the family and events themselves. These are people who've lived their whole life on the farm. You'll see owls, they're all over the place. They'd have known that it was an owl. You'll also note that they were attacked at their house...a very -strange- behavior for owls unless the nest somehow was right under the porch.

SDF
2010-11-22, 05:43 PM
{Scrubbed}

Innis Cabal
2010-11-22, 05:45 PM
I can't even begin to explain whats wrong with that statement.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-22, 05:51 PM
I don't Necessarily believe it, but I'm not going to say it couldn't be true.

If it is true, that's cool. If it's not, that's fine with me.

Worlok
2010-11-22, 05:51 PM
Like these people had never seen an owl before their whole life.
I had non-drunkenly encountered owls as well before meeting one while blitzed. Believe me, it can make quite a difference and it does make quite a difference.

And surely the children were drunk
Drunk? Maybe, maybe not. Impressible? Most certainly, being children.

You'll also note that they were attacked at their house...a very -strange- behavior for owls unless the nest somehow was right under the porch.
Or, you know, a huge and strange light-related phenomenon was flashing across the nightsky out of the blue, disturbing a breeding couple of nocturnal birds of prey. As in, hungry, overprotective, carnivorous birds the size of toddlers whose behavior has been thrown immensely off tact due to drought and a heat wave (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=top10heat) (Scroll down to '10th' and read carefully) anyway. Heat waves, by the way, can wreak havoc on you even when you're only slightly inebriated, even at night.

{Scrub the original, scrub the quote}
Neither are most who don't. (I would have asked you to define "cream of the crop for humanity", but things would go even more blatantly wrong then, wouldn't they?) :smallwink: