PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia RPG - what books do I need

jpreem
2010-11-22, 11:43 AM
I.m really interested in GM-ing my very own Paranoia game. Got hooked on the world by playing a collectible card game and looking all flavour texts and descriptions of this insane world.
What are the names of the books I need in order to run a few campaigns?

Selrahc
2010-11-22, 11:59 AM
Just the main book should do. Perfectly possible to run it right away. If you want some elaboration on one of the things in the main book, then grab one of the requisite source books. If you want some ideas for missions then grab one of the mission packs.

Start by just getting the main book though.

zyborg
2010-11-22, 12:01 PM
You... are looking to run a game of Paranoia? Uh... in real-life or on here? Because I'm looking to join one. Also, you just need a loose grasp of the rules, as GMs don't actually need to strictly follow the rules in this game. That's one of the awesome things that got me interested in Paranoia - easy to learn, because there isn't much to learn.

jpreem
2010-11-22, 12:01 PM
Which is probably called Paranoia the RPG or somesuch ? :smallwink:

dsmiles
2010-11-22, 12:13 PM

I have the Paranoia XP book. I don't know if that's the latest incarnation of it or not.

JediSoth
2010-11-22, 12:18 PM

The current edition of Paranoia has three versions:
Troubleshooters (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1705&qsSeries=19)
Internal Security (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1718&qsSeries=19)
High Programmers (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1735&qsSeries=19)

Each is designed for a different type of game (though all three support the three styles of Paranoia: Zap! (gonzo, back-stabbing shoot-em up), Classic (1st & 2nd edition style), or Straight (dark dystopia). The Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game))article describes the three styles in more detail.

If you want to play a game where the PCs are poor red-clearance schlubs of Troubleshooters, you need Troubleshooters. If you want them to play as blue-clearance Internal Security officers, you need Internal Security. If you want them to play as ultraviolet-clearance High Programmers, you need High Programmers.

If you want a slightly more complex version of the current rules (though FULLY compatible), then look on eBay and in used bookshops for the now out-of-print Paranoia XP. Depending on the printing, it may just be called Paranoia, as Microsoft had issues with Mongoose labeling a game with XP, thinking it would cause people to think it was related to their OS.

If you go to eBay, you may look for the 2nd edition of Paranoia released by West End Games. This is my preferred version, as the Mongoose versions have added some rules which I feel unnecessarily complicate the game. Not that you're allowed to know the rules unless you're a GM. The only downside (there is no downside to 2nd edition - The Computer) is that the technological advances in the game have not kept pace with current technology. Computers are FAR more advance now than they are in the post-Whoops future of Paranoia 2nd edition. Mongoose's Paranoia setting takes into account online auctions, social networking, and the like, though such things are easily added into older editions since you don't really need rules for them, per se.

If you're not a GM, and you've just read the preceding paragraphs, please proceed IMMEDIATELY to Housing Preservation and Development and Mind Control (HPD&MC) for memory modification and brain scrubbing. Be advised, failure to comply is treasonous. The Computer says so, don't you Trust the Computer?
---------------------------------

You only need one book to run Paranoia for many, many sessions. Many missions will not proceed past mission briefing if you're secret society missions are in sufficient conflict with party coherence. The best games of Paranoia have the GM simply as an arbitrator while the PCs drive the game forward without any input from you.

Selrahc
2010-11-22, 12:31 PM
Oh wow. New edition. Totally out of date advise then. Paranoia XP was what I was thinking of by "Main Book" though.

JediSoth
2010-11-22, 12:33 PM
Oh wow. New edition. Totally out of date advise then. Paranoia XP was what I was thinking of by "Main Book" though.

It's not really a new edition, per se. Troubleshooters, Internal Security, and High Programmers is just the 25th anniversary revisions of Paranoia XP. A few things are streamlined, but the rules themselves are essentially the same. Think of it more like the D&D Essentials version of Paranoia XP (if you equate Paranoia XP with D&D 4E).

Aidan305
2010-11-22, 12:47 PM
Play Paranoia. It is fun. We know this because friend computer tells us so. Failure to have fun is treason. Treason may result in a wide variety of different punishments. Trust Friend Computer, Have Fun, play Paranoia.

If you're new to the game, Paranoia Troubleshooters is the only book you'll need.As JediSoth says, it's entirely possible to have several sessions without ever getting past the briefing room stage. And if you do get past there, then you're almost certain to get caught up in the corrupt bureaucracy that is known as HPD&MC. If you can find the forms for that bit, I heartily recommend using them.

Should they eventually actually manage to progress on the mission, congratulations, you now have even more chances for them to die in hilarious ways.

And should they still be alive by the debriefing, the Comms & Recording Officer should have enough (forged) evidence of treacherous deeds to generate a several mile wide TPK.

JediSoth
2010-11-22, 12:53 PM
And should they still be alive by the debriefing, the Comms & Recording Officer should have enough (forged) evidence of treacherous deeds to generate a several mile wide TPK.

Don't forget all the accumulated demerits from the Hygiene Officer every time that PLC-issued red reflect armor gets dirty/damaged from weapon fire, falling into food vats, etc.

My players found hygiene grenades go a LONG way to solving that particular problem.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2010-11-22, 02:30 PM
Paranoia has rules? When did this happen? I thought the game was basically "tell the GM how you want to screw over the guy to your left, and he proceeds to tell you how it absolutely succeeds and catastrophically fails."

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 02:51 PM
Paranoia has rules? When did this happen? I thought the game was basically "tell the GM how you want to screw over the guy to your left, and he proceeds to tell you how it absolutely succeeds and catastrophically fails."
You are not cleared for that, Citizen. Please report for termination.

Steveotep
2010-11-22, 03:24 PM
There was a Paranoia CCG?

Why have I never heard of it?

It must be above my security clearance!

I report myself for treason.

darkpuppy
2010-11-22, 08:53 PM
As a High Programmer and close personal friend of The Computer, I heartily endorse placing your roleplay-clones through the intellectual and social exercise that is troubleshooting. Although it does have a [CLASSIFIED] mortality rate, and in less understanding and friendly groups, will lead to [CLASSIFIED], you will enjoy this game, and both you and your roleplay-clones will be permanently enriched by the experience. Because The Computer wishes it so.

:smallbiggrin:

THE COMPUTER ADDS:
Greetings, Citizen. Please remember that experiencing the green floored room with a blue ceiling, only one bright lamp, and various brown protuberances is treasonous, and is punished by immediate termination upon return to more familiar rooms of Alpha Complex. Thank you for listening to this announcement, please report to the termination chamber, as this announcement is above your security clearance.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-22, 09:07 PM
I recommend getting a GM screen for Paranoia, even if not the official one, as keeping information secret that is above a player's security clearance is vital. Paranoia also lends itself well to meta, such as sending a player out of the room when they are terminated and then calling them back when their clone arrives.

Also, the best way to play Paranoia I think is when the GM does almost all the work, for the simple reason it's easy to cross the secret societies, mutant powers, service groups etc. For example: in my first game I had the guy from Internal Security a Communist with Empathic liar, and he ended up being the Loyalty Officer!

It ends up with A LOT of paperwork, but it means you can coordinate behind the scenes and players don't know each other secrets!

For some reason, I've found that Paranoia games don't take nearly as long as other RPGs. I have run three missions, and two were on the one night.

The current rules for Paranoia do have two missions at the end and I recommend running them, particularly the second one "The Quantum Traitor" as there are some very, very funny bits in there. Treason in Word and Deed is also a good mission, but it needs to be done by more experienced players.

Try and have some sort of "computer voice", as you will need to speak to the players as the GM and as Friend Computer.

And before anyone accuses me of knowing things above my security clearance level, as a GM I and a high programmer! Friend Computer is not just my friend, he loves me!

JonestheSpy
2010-11-22, 10:22 PM
Books to read - try 1984. Then watch a Marx Brothers movie.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-22, 10:31 PM
Add to that some Brave New World and The Trial.

darkpuppy
2010-11-22, 10:33 PM
or, to make it all easier, just watch Brazil, then copy the overall mood.

jpreem
2010-11-23, 03:31 AM
Tahnx for everybody, specific thanks to Jedisoth for an excellent answer to my question. As can be seen by his rather large post- it is not just so easy with most roleplaying games to now - so hmm what do I buy now when I wan't to play this thing. Because af all the naming troubles, editions, supplementals and what not things can get confusing -- Paranaoia style confusing:smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-23, 03:39 AM
Buy Troubleshooters. It's all you need for now.

Maybe think about buying Internal Security and /or High Programmers later, if only to cannibalise for ideas.