PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Riga, Latvia

Miklus
2010-11-22, 05:56 PM
I'm spending half a day in Riga next weekend on a buisness-related trip. Anyone familiar with the city? What's there to do?

I think I'll go shopping. I figure things must be cheap there. Maybe I can buy one of those russian fur hats. Where is the best place to shop for such a thing?

Worlok
2010-11-22, 06:01 PM
The Riga Circus and Riga Castle (both popular sights and thus easy to reach) may be worth a look. For shopping, they have a lot of rather modernist mall buildings nowadays where you can get pretty much anything for a decent price. Ask a native for more details when you're there. :smallsmile:

Miklus
2010-11-27, 05:20 PM
I'm back from Riga! Very beautiful city. All I really had time for was a bit of shopping. The marked behind Centrālā Stacija was the most interresting by far.

I got a nice russian hat, the kind where you can fold two flaps down to cover your ears and tie them together under your chin. My ears love that hat already.

I got a nice pair of winter boots too. It's the kind you use for ice fishing. They go up almost to the knee and can be laced tight to the leg. Rubber on the outside, a thick layer of insulation on the inside and metal studs underneath for grip. Weighs a ton each. And they only cost me 23 Lats!

Don Julio Anejo
2010-11-28, 05:11 AM
Isn't 23 lats around 80 Euros or am I out of date?

PS: were those boots called valenki?

KuReshtin
2010-11-29, 04:47 AM
According to XE.com, 23 Lat is about 32.50 Euro, which in turn is about US$43.