PDA

View Full Version : Pavlova: Best. Dessert. Ever.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-22, 05:59 PM
It's coming up to Christmas and that means pavolva time. Anyone made one? I have and it's surprisingly not that hard providing you have fresh eggs that are thoroughly separated and good electric mixer.

The best time to make it is at night, then put it in the oven and when it's done turn the oven off, leave the door open and go to bed.

Mathis
2010-11-22, 06:42 PM
I havn't made it myself, but whenever I am home for birthdays and holidays my mother makes one. And they are delicious, like mouth-watery delicious. I don't connect them with christmas though, but that is mostly due to a lack of fresh strawberries and blueberries here this time of year.

I've found that it tastes best outside on a hot summer day with iced lemon-water on the side.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-22, 06:45 PM
I had never heard of it, but it looks...delicious.

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-22, 06:48 PM
I had never heard of it, but it looks...delicious.

*looks up on Google* I've never heard of it either, but it does look delicious.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 06:50 PM
Sounds nice, but a bit too sweet in my opinion. I think, though I will try it if given the chance, I prefer aunts brandy soaked door stopper Christmas cake, rich dense and moist, is just wonderful with a strong mug of tea.

Rawhide
2010-11-22, 07:00 PM
I have just one thing to say. I am a pav-lover. That is all.

Worira
2010-11-22, 07:25 PM
It makes me want to salivate.

Aidan305
2010-11-22, 07:29 PM
I absolutely love Pavlova. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to dairy products and a Pavlova just isn't the same without cream.

golentan
2010-11-22, 07:32 PM
Want.

I've only had it once, but it was great. I liked it better than meringue, which I usually find too crispy (grates on my nerves as well as my teeth).

AtopTheMountain
2010-11-22, 08:32 PM
I haven't had it, and it looks fantastic, but it'll be hard-pressed to beat out Creme Brulee as "Best. Dessert. Ever." for me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-22, 09:14 PM
Have to say, I do prefer our christmas pudding, liberally doused in Brandy.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-22, 09:23 PM
Used to make them every Christmas, then I got to the point where I couldn't handle the sugar. I should offer to make one for Peregrine, he'd probably love it. Except we don't have a stand mixer, and there's no way I'm standing there for 15mins with the hand beater.

Also, New Zealand did it first :-P

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-22, 09:26 PM
I often wonder about out grandmothers who made them without electric beaters.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-22, 10:06 PM
I just realized that ALL my favourite deserts are puddings. Especially the ones with alcohol. :smallannoyed:

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-22, 10:14 PM
I just realized that ALL my favourite deserts are puddings. Especially the ones with alcohol. :smallannoyed:

You'd best hope you don't lose your sense of smell. Without smell, it's pretty much impossible to enjoy puddings.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-22, 10:31 PM
When you mean puddings, do you mean those boiled British things, like a Christmas pudding, or more custardy?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-22, 10:34 PM
When you mean puddings, do you mean those boiled British things, like a Christmas pudding, or more custardy?

Delicious boiled British things! They had a wonderful bread pudding at a buffet I was at yesterday, and it was sooooo amazing!

Zexion
2010-11-23, 01:34 AM
I love Pavlova. Mere words cannot describe my seven-year-old memories of it.
Although I'm having it again this Christmas, so my memories will be RENEWED! :smallbiggrin::smallfurious:

factotum
2010-11-23, 02:27 AM
Delicious boiled British things! They had a wonderful bread pudding at a buffet I was at yesterday, and it was sooooo amazing!

When I was a lad we used to get suet puddings...they're pretty tasteless by themselves, but that's what jam and golden syrup were invented for! :smallwink:

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-23, 02:52 AM
Christmas is not a time of Pavlova. Christmas is a time for Rich Fruit cake, Christmas pudding, Mince Pies and Sherry Trifle. All of which my mother makes like an angel. (She makes a mean merange too)

Serpentine
2010-11-23, 05:23 AM
I'll have a bit, and I like the idea, but... I never really liked cream, and the fluffy egg stuff never really appealed to me... In the end, all I really like is the crunchy sugary stuff.
It makes me sad :smallfrown:

Also: Just about every other type of pudding imaginable >> Yogo-style pudding.

edit: If we're talking about what Christmas is "for", then it's for mangoes and prawns.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-23, 07:26 AM
I'll have a bit, and I like the idea, but... I never really liked cream, and the fluffy egg stuff never really appealed to me... In the end, all I really like is the crunchy sugary stuff.
It makes me sad :smallfrown:

The crunchy sugary stuff was always my favourite part too. I'm just lucky that mum always made them 'wrong' so there wasn't much of the fluffy stuff in the centre.

Alas I was allergic to egg whites when I was little. I remember insisting on having some, and then sitting in a chair covered in hives...

dish
2010-11-23, 11:30 AM
Last time I cooked Christmas dinner everyone had the choice of traditional Christmas pudding or pavlova. They all chose pavlova.

While I'll agree that pavlova tastes best with summer fruits, in the winter I usually make it with pineapple.