PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Barbarian PRCs

Lateral
2010-11-22, 07:27 PM
I'm building a 16th level Half-Fiend Minotaur Barbarian for my PCs to fight. He's going to be a major antagonist for the campaign I've plotted (he's the big, dumb muscle for the BBEG), so I'd like have him go into a prestige class but I can't find any good ones. Can you help me out? Preferably one that progresses Barbarian Rage. Thanks!

Flickerdart
2010-11-22, 07:29 PM
Frenzied Berserker sounds like a pretty good fit.

Psyren
2010-11-22, 07:31 PM
Runescarred Berserker is good too, as nothing improves melee like some spells.

Champion of Gwynharwyf is probably out of the question...

Eldariel
2010-11-22, 07:34 PM
Try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525).

In short, my suggestions:
- Runescarred Berserker [Unapproachable East]
- Frenzied Berserker [Complete Warrior]
- Bear Warrior [Complete Warrior]
- Fist of the Forests [Complete Champion]

Runescarred gets very strange "casting" mechanism, among others containing Anti-Magic Field on the spell list. Very, very good if you're serious about challenging some spellcasters. It also advances everything Barbarian gets. This'd only get finished on 17 but you get all the important stuff by 16.

Frenzied Berserker makes you immortal during your Frenzy and an absolute terror overall. The fact that you rip the throats of your allies during it is hardly a problem if he's gonna be a solo boss. As a bonus, you finish FB on level 16 with straight entry so you could get him full PRC here. Alternatively, you could give him enough Wis and Will-save bonuses to make sure he doesn't kill his allies. If he's close to the Big Bad, this is probably more reasonable.

Bear Warrior turns you into a Bear. Nuff said. Wants another PRC like Warshaper [Complete Warrior] or such to go with it though as the final buffs from the levels after you gain Brown Bear-form are underwhelming.

Fist of the Forests provides you with Con to AC. As that helps Touch AC, it might be very convenient. Also advances unarmed strikes and can be entered level 5 meaning you can finish it before entering another PrC, making it a good combination. It also has awesome fluff if that happens to suit your Barbie.

So yeah, depending on the style of boss you want, I'd go one of those. FB is awesome if magic is somehow nullified, Runescarred actually nullifies magic, Bear Warrior turns into a friggin' Bear and FotF would gain you some AC-based defense. I'd prolly go Runescarred myself.

Lateral
2010-11-22, 08:09 PM
Runescarred Berserker sounds perfect, thanks. Lessee... six Minotaur RHD, so he'd only need one barbarian level to qualify for Runescarred Berserker. If I do that, I get one 5th level runescar. Comparing class features with straight Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem), I get d10 HD, pounce, rage 4/day, +3 AC, and DR 2/-. If I had taken 10 levels of barbarian instead, I would have gotten d12 HD, pounce, rage 3/day (wow, more rage?), uncanny dodge/improved UD, and trap sense. BIG net gain.

comicshorse
2010-11-22, 09:07 PM
Frostrager ( Frostburn)

Lateral
2010-11-23, 03:53 PM
Hey, does the Half-Fiend template's SR prevent him from activating his Runescars?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-23, 03:53 PM
I should think not. For casters, you always overcome your own SR, so I should think it's the same with the Runescarred Berserker.

d13
2010-11-23, 03:58 PM
The SRD on Spell Resistance

(....)

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

A creature with spell resistance cannot impart this power to others by touching them or standing in their midst. Only the rarest of creatures and a few magic items have the ability to bestow spell resistance upon another.

Spell resistance does not stack. It overlaps.

tl;dr: Don't worry about your spell resistance for your own spells :B

Lateral
2010-11-23, 04:44 PM
Kewl. Also, do I get extra runescars for high Wisdom? Which runescars are the best choices?