PDA

View Full Version : No longer using MSN

Jacklu
2010-11-22, 08:59 PM
So, I logged onto MSN today to discover that it had updated since my last log-on. I also discovered that the chat program has become entirely unusable. I can't figure out how to change anything in it, it lags terribly, nothing seems to work. So I am no longer using it.

This creates two problems:

Firstly, I need a new chat program. I have had bad experiences with AIM, Pigin, and Trillian, and would like to avoid those. But I think that leaves nothing for me to use... =/

Secondly, I am no longer able to talk to a large number of friends who I only had contact with through MSN (most of them from Giant, so maybe some of them will see this).

I don't know what to do about this... Any suggestions?

Glyphic
2010-11-22, 09:02 PM
Use a third party program that can access MSN, like meebo. Or Trillian.

littlebottom
2010-11-22, 09:04 PM
i still use it, just several forms behind its current one:smallcool: back when it worked well.

i know what your talking about though, since my new computer has it on, but my new computer is for gaming, so i use my laptop for internet surfing and msn usually. but yeah, the new msn is really annoying to me.:smallsigh:

my advice is to either attempt to use an older version (not sure how to go about that, uninstall it and download an older version?)

or you can use something else. i donno, google wave? heh ive not been on that in ages myself, i wonder what theyve done with it...

Jacklu
2010-11-22, 09:28 PM
One of my problems is that I have no way of letting the people know what my new way of chatting is.

Rawhide
2010-11-22, 10:19 PM
http://www.pidgin.im/

I know you said you're avoiding it, but give it another try. It has improved immensely.

Winter_Wolf
2010-11-22, 10:31 PM
I foolishly updated my MSN messenger a few weeks ago and after 2 minutes had it uninstalled and re-installed build 14.0.8117.416, which I believe is the one right before they mangled it. It was a short google search. I also located and ran A-patch to strip out some of the more annoying behaviors, which may or may not be why it doesn't auto-update to the new crap. Also I go in and turn off anything that looks like "auto-update". I still get notifications of updates being available, but none of that sneaking behind my back updating business.

Morph Bark
2010-11-23, 10:59 AM
Through YIM you can still talk to people with MSN if you add them.

Deathslayer7
2010-11-23, 01:45 PM
skype is the program I prefer myself. You can chat, text or do video. It's also free and world-wide. So you can look people up by email or name.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-23, 02:16 PM
Through YIM you can still talk to people with MSN if you add them.

The compatibility is pretty faulty, though....

For people who want the closest thing to MSN possible, I still recommend Emesene (http://www.emesene.org/).

Sipex
2010-11-23, 02:19 PM
Lots of complaints about this yet I'm not having any troubles with the new version. Weird.

My advice? Keep it and wait a few weeks, then update it again. They're usually good at fixing actual issues (lag). Unless it's aesthetics that have you turned off.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-23, 02:30 PM
Lots of complaints about this yet I'm not having any troubles with the new version. Weird.

My advice? Keep it and wait a few weeks, then update it again. They're usually good at fixing actual issues (lag). Unless it's aesthetics that have you turned off.

Personally, I dislike what they did with names. If I want to change my nickname now, I have to open my profile to do so. It's just stupid. And it forces you to write in your last name. You can pick who sees it and who doesn't, but still, I don't want to deal with that.

I don't know who on the development team came up with this, but all I want is an IM client and an E-mail acount. I don't want Microsoft Facebook.

Sipex
2010-11-23, 02:31 PM
I'm willing to bet this probably wasn't a decision by the development team.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-23, 02:33 PM
I'm willing to bet this probably wasn't a decision by the development team.

Er..... fair point. Just very poor phrasing on my part, sorry.

Kyouhen
2010-11-23, 02:40 PM
I'm in the same boat. I hate the new MSN, especially how badly it's mauled my poor smilies and my ability to use names that are fun. If anyone knows a good client that can use MSN logins and lets you easily add/share custom smilies give me a shout plzthx. :smalltongue:

Sipex
2010-11-23, 02:43 PM
This might be why I've not noticed, I do not use the features which were changed.

Morph Bark
2010-11-23, 02:47 PM
The compatibility is pretty faulty, though....

Is it? I've honestly never been on the YIM side before, but never heard complaints about it and it always worked fine on MSN before. Dunno about the new update as MSN often fails starting for me so I have to use Meebo, which is a failboat.

Mordokai
2010-11-23, 02:58 PM
Why the Trillian hate? I have it almost for a year now and I love it how much it looks like MSN, yet has none of it's crap. No nudges and similar stuff that bothered the hell out of me. No games as well, but since the only contact I've ever played games with on regular basis doesn't show around anymore, I can't say that's a big minus. So yeah, I love Trillian because it's MSN, only better. That I get four other IMs in it for the same price doesn't hurt as well.

Jacklu
2010-11-23, 03:01 PM
Personally, I dislike what they did with names. If I want to change my nickname now, I have to open my profile to do so. It's just stupid. And it forces you to write in your last name. You can pick who sees it and who doesn't, but still, I don't want to deal with that.

I don't know who on the development team came up with this, but all I want is an IM client and an E-mail acount. I don't want Microsoft Facebook.

This. This is where most of my problems lie. If I want to change almost anything, it requires me to open my browser and change it.

Prime32
2010-11-23, 06:17 PM
or you can use something else. i donno, google wave? heh ive not been on that in ages myself, i wonder what theyve done with it...Scrapped it.

Though there's some way to use AIM through GMail now, I think.

Lord Herman
2010-11-24, 09:58 AM
I didn't particularly like the whole Facebook copying thing MSN did either, but I couldn't find an alternative that did support MSN and wasn't web-based or otherwise dumb and bad.

I'm trying this Pidgin thing. It has a cute animal mascot, so it must be good.

Maybe switching to a different client also fixes my connectivity issues. I keep falling off chat for no apparent reason.

Jacklu
2010-11-25, 11:07 PM
Emesene is really good for emulating MSN but without all the new, inconveniences.

true_shinken
2010-11-26, 10:37 AM
I usually use trillian, but it recently stopped logging into twitter :/
I guess I'll give the meebo software a try. The online version is pretty good.

Lady Tialait
2010-11-27, 03:12 PM
I use Meebo.com personally. Maybe that will work for you.

littlebottom
2010-11-27, 07:50 PM
Scrapped it.

Though there's some way to use AIM through GMail now, I think.

thats actually a shame, since i liked the idea, it just needed a little more work, i played a roleplay on there once, that was interesting, starting your reply before the GM had finished lol:smallbiggrin:

a million times faster than PbP on these forums (if you were on at the same time)

Morph Bark
2010-11-28, 07:00 PM
Now that I find myself being incapable of even just starting MSN for some reason (it does not even ask for updates) and because Meebo doesn't save convo histories... are their any services that use your MSN contacts and all that and DO show convo histories?

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 07:35 PM
I use Trillian. Also, you can talk to MSN people via Yahoo, which is feature rich but buggy as heck.