PDA

View Full Version : Stumped on Rakshasa

Tvtyrant
2010-11-22, 11:18 PM
I was looking at the Rakshasa, and I can't figure out why anyone would play a normal sorcerer instead (supposing you can alter its alignment). It has an LA of +7, which is exactly the same as its spell casting, and it adds permanent Detect Thoughts and the ability to use Shape Change.

Am I missing something? Because otherwise I can't see why anyone playing sorc wouldn't take this.

Edge of Dreams
2010-11-22, 11:22 PM
Racial Hit Dice. It has 7 HD, and +7 LA. Thus, you have to be starting at level 14 equivalent to play one, but you only get 7 levels of casting.

jguy
2010-11-22, 11:50 PM
Play the OoTs homebrew Rakshasa class

Lhurgyof
2010-11-22, 11:54 PM
Isn't there a racial class in the Savage Species book for Rakshasa?

And anyways, just scrap the hit dice, along with all the abilities that come with it. That's how we do monster races. You don't get the feats, skills, HP, etc, but you get the racial abilities. It works for us.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-23, 01:57 AM
Play the OoTs homebrew Rakshasa class

I'll look into that. Anyway I don't particularly want to play one, I just didn't know you had to account for HD as well as LA.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-23, 08:08 AM
I just didn't know you had to account for HD as well as LA.

You do. A monster's Effective Character Level is equal to its Hit Dice plus its Level Adjustment.

Runestar
2010-11-23, 08:14 AM
I am wondering if it too is overpriced at cr10. It does get dr, sr and some misc abilities over a human sorc7, but are these worth the +3cr? :smallconfused:

Tytalus
2010-11-23, 09:37 AM
I am wondering if it too is overpriced at cr10. It does get dr, sr and some misc abilities over a human sorc7, but are these worth the +3cr? :smallconfused:

I'd say so. It's much more sturdy. Compared to a level 7 NPC sorcerer, this guy has double the HP, and much better defenses: the DR is positively huge for 3.5, and isn't easily overcome at all. It can hardly be touched by level-appropriate magic (SR 27) and has considerably better saves. It can even handle melee for a bit (much higher AC, 3 natural attacks, much better BAB and strength).

Add to that the higher potential for deception (detect thoughts, change shape, skills), it should be able to challenge a party much more than an NPC sorcerer 7.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-23, 01:05 PM
I'd say so. It's much more sturdy. Compared to a level 7 NPC sorcerer, this guy has double the HP, and much better defenses: the DR is positively huge for 3.5, and isn't easily overcome at all. It can hardly be touched by level-appropriate magic (SR 27) and has considerably better saves. It can even handle melee for a bit (much higher AC, 3 natural attacks, much better BAB and strength).

Add to that the higher potential for deception (detect thoughts, change shape, skills), it should be able to challenge a party much more than an NPC sorcerer 7.

It essentially follows the rules for a monster; they should be stronger then an equivalent PC. A level 7 PC sorc is weaker then a Rakshasa because the Rakshasa has to fight a group all by itself.

Lapak
2010-11-23, 01:39 PM
It essentially follows the rules for a monster; they should be stronger then an equivalent PC. A level 7 PC sorc is weaker then a Rakshasa because the Rakshasa has to fight a group all by itself.Well, yes. That's why a Sor7 is a CR7 challenge. CR = Party Level is a fight that the PCs should overcome handily while expending a small amount of their resources; that means that a single CR7 foe (edit: monster OR PC class) should pretty much get run over after maybe doing a little damage of its own or taking a spell or two in the face.

A CR10 challenge, on the other hand, should be a serious fight for a whole party of level 7. And that's more in line with where the Rakshasa is.

erikun
2010-11-23, 05:45 PM
And anyways, just scrap the hit dice, along with all the abilities that come with it. That's how we do monster races. You don't get the feats, skills, HP, etc, but you get the racial abilities. It works for us.
You don't mind having an 8th level character with 4 HP?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-23, 07:04 PM
You don't mind having an 8th level character with 4 HP?

You'll be so fragile your DM won't risk hitting you with anything! :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-11-23, 07:08 PM
Isn't there a racial class in the Savage Species book for Rakshasa?

If you're going to scrap something, scrap the LA, not the HD. :smalltongue:

(Not all of it naturally, outsider HD and SR are both pretty nice advantages, with sorc casting to boot.)