PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Mr. Hyde

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-23, 12:43 AM
So, I've got a confession to make. I like the idea of the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist). I especially like the idea of the Master Chymist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/master-chymist). Playing a character with the whole Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde vibe going on is extremely appealing to me. So I'd like to find a way to make it work.

I figure, for a start, that Human is the way to go. A bonus feat, bonus skillpoints, and no stat decreases which is important as it seems to me that Mr. Hyde requires at least three good stats - Intelligence, Strength, and Constitution - and more if you want to shore up AC and your Will Save (which is likely a good idea).

For stats, I think Int>Str>Con>Dex>Wis>Cha, though you might want to switch Wis and Cha for Intimidate (a Master Chymist class skill). Using a Pathfinder 20 point buy (and before your racial modifier, which goes to Int) I've got:

Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

I figure the physical stats are safe at 14, as Strength (and eventually Constitution and Dexterity) can be buffed up with your Mutagen. Your stat increases should probably go into Intelligence, as it's your 'casting' stat.

As far as the order to take your levels in Alchemist and Master Chymist goes, I like Alchemist 8/Master Chymist 10/Alchemist10 (not least because this gets my Pathfinder Society Mr. Hyde Greater Mutagen at level 12, which Alchemist 7/Master Chymist 5 would not). Though, for a dedicated Poisoner, Alchemist 10/Master Chymist 10 might make more sense.

Now, for the fun parts: discoveries! I think your first ought to be Feral Mutagen, which will be something of a foundation for the rest of the build. It grants you three primary natural attacks (two claws and a bite) which synergizes with Power Attack rather well. After that though, I'm not sure which to get. Sticky Poison seems good, as does Combine Extracts.

For your Advanced Mutagens, I think Greater and Grand Mutagen are obvious choices. Growth Mutagen is also very nice. Which else are any good? I think Nimble might be a good one, for the bonus to AC and CMD.

How about feats? I think that Mr. Hyde could become quite the Grappler, what with his natural attacks (and high Strength). Would this be a good strategy to use? I know the grapple rules are clunky, but it seems a good way to lock down a single target. Also, would Vital Strike apply if you inflict damage during the grapple? For the rest of the feats, I think Lunge is a good idea (as you'll already have a pretty impressive reach, from Enlarge Person/Fluid Form, and maybe Vital Strike (if you go the grappler route and if it applies to the damage from grappling). Power Attack is an obvious must have as well. What other feats benefit Mr. Hyde?

As food for thought, I present Ogre's Alchemist Guide (http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/alchemist-build-guide/).

Thanks for the help, playgrounders.