PDA

View Full Version : Bracers of Wind help

Lev
2010-11-23, 03:36 AM
One of my players (ECL7) is making a scout and has bought the magic item Bracers of Wind from MiC.

Now, I'm a pretty lenient DM so we are in negotiation about the non-RAW applications of the item.

Not only does the item give you a non-menchanical +5 to majesty due to the cloak, cape and hair permanently in cinematic windswept mode but it also grants a +1 bonus to ranged attacks and +2 AC vs ranged missile weapons as if the projectiles were subject to strong wind.

Now, he reasons that he can generate wind without firing arrows and such, can this be abused?

Let's say being able to generate maybe a 10-30' line of wind, or be able to shoot through or disperse gas or cloud spells, ect?

What cool things could these bracers do to make him happy?

Kaww
2010-11-23, 03:46 AM
They are worth 10k. The -2 on attacks made by ranged opponents they bestow and the +1 to your ranged attack are roughly worth it. If you want you might give them the Gust of Wind with range of 5ft, maybe 10ft once every 10 rounds, with fixed CL. I can think of lots of situations in which this ability may be useful, yet not overpowered and not exploitable.

olelia
2010-11-23, 07:07 AM
As an immediate action 3/day the wearer can spin in a circle and generate a circular wind wall effect for 1 round.

Zieu
2010-11-23, 07:36 AM
As an immediate action 3/day the wearer can spin in a circle and generate a circular wind wall effect for 1 round.

I'd say immediate is a bit excessive. Instead, maybe a move action that creates a wall that lasts for 1 round.

Chrono22
2010-11-23, 08:14 AM
He can disperse smoke or fog, even in enclosed spaces.

Darrin
2010-11-23, 08:33 AM
Now, he reasons that he can generate wind without firing arrows and such, can this be abused?

Keep an eye out for Pandemonic Silver + Gnome Quickrazor (or any pandemonic silver weapon/ammunition that can be drawn as a free action). When the bracers aren't active (light breeze), anyone within 30' (including allies!) has to make a Will save DC 10 or cower (fear effect). With the bracers activated (strong wind), the save DC is 16.

Let's say being able to generate maybe a 10-30' line of wind, or be able to shoot through or disperse gas or cloud spells, ect?

The wind decribed in the item description (strong, 30 mph) isn't quite as strong as a gust of wind spell (severe, 50 mph). The DMG/SRD describes the effects of a strong wind in the Weather section: -2 penalty to ranged attacks, and tiny or smaller creatures are knocked down if they fail a Fort save DC 10.

I'd probably rule that while the bracers are active, the adjacent squares within 5' of the owner are subject to strong winds, and thus disperses fog/mist/smoke in 1 round. Candles/torches/open flames either get blown out (if you don't want to mess with the bookkeeping) or maybe have a 50% chance to get blown out.

The item description doesn't say that the owner has any control over the winds, and it's not clear how the bracers assist ranged attacks... I don't think it "blasts" behind the projectile, because that might throw off your aim and it doesn't increase the range. My guess would be it creates a corridor of calm/still air, minimizing or canceling any crosswinds that might throw the projectile off-course. If that's the case, I'm not sure generating a 10' x 30' line of strong wind without a projectile would be justified.

However, "Rule of Cool" says I'd probably allow the owner to generate a 5' x 30' blast of strong wind as a standard action (30' being the limit for most precision damage, after that the force of the wind disperses too much to affect anything).

Lev
2010-11-23, 06:06 PM
Hm, I like that.

OK, rule is a standard action 30' line of (30mph wind?).

Also, I'm going to rule that he can sacrifice his -2 to AC vr projectiles while using a continuous 5' AoE sweeping wind that grants a +2 to tumble to avoid falling damage (since it pushes the gloves upwards), this wind is Moderate (15mph) and is enough to blow away cloud effects such as the smoke sticks he uses.

I also agree with the bolts or arrows being immune to air interference.