PDA

View Full Version : The Last Disciples of Vecna (IC)

appending_doom
2010-11-23, 07:33 AM
Cavitus is a barren world. It lurks so closely to the source of negative energy that few living things can survive on its surface; plants and animals shy from its shores. And few other beasts can be found here, as every decade or so, a band of hunters braves the great Maelstrom to slay any undead creature they may find on the shores of Vecna's kingdom.

But there are signs of habitation. Barrows once built by wights and shadows. Manor houses once haunted by ghosts and vampires.

And the temple of Vecna, a great obsidian palace now broken and ruined.

But to those who answered the call of the last of Vecna's inheritors, a path has been opened up. Vecna was not only the master of undeath, but a master of secrets, and thus, there are hidden paths and hidden chambers within this temple.

And tonight, and only tonight, those paths have been opened.

The shattered altar of Vecna has been pushed aside to reveal a twisting staircase that delves into the very heart of the earth, where an unholy chill permeates, cold enough to kill living things but nothing to those who have abandoned their living bodies.

A vast chamber, hundreds of feet tall and as wide, rests beneath the temple, and it is there that a twisted, demonic form waits, a fiend who has engaged the ancient secrets of Vecna's own being, having sealed his heart away so that destruction of his body will no longer require death of his mind.

The creature hunches over a pitiful altar, on which sits three artifacts: an empty skull, a glittering ruby eye, and a clenched, withered hand. It stares at these items with unmatched focus.

drack
2010-11-23, 08:27 AM
Koraque enters in gaseous form, and waits patiently for the others to arrive.

monkman
2010-11-23, 04:37 PM
The Nameless One arrives in the temple,He knows why is he here but he still feel like he has to deny it. After seeing another Creature of gaz he calls out to it.

Are you here for the same reason i am, To hear this creature last call?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-23, 05:08 PM
Sir Balthazar floats down through the ceiling. He is wearing a fine emerald suit of exceptional quality--or at least the memory of it--and a rapier hangs by his side. He nods politely at the Nameless One and, after a moment of hesitation, to the cloud of mist as well, assuming it to be one of them. "Indeed I am, my good sir," he replies to the Nameless One's question in refined tones. "I would assume that our insubstantial companion is, as well, if indeed the shifting cloud of mist is one of us. I am Sir Balthazar, at your service. Might I inquire as to your names?"

Elfstone
2010-11-23, 05:38 PM
Lenor enters in gaseous form then solidifies with the others. He is wearing all black, but still looks casual. He says "I to, am here for the same reason as you all" and introduces him self. "I am known as Lenor, Romer. You may have heard of me."

monkman
2010-11-23, 07:07 PM
The Nameless one looks at the floor as if he was ashmed and then says
I.......Have no name,
He then looks back at evirone and continues
I gave the name up when i first beacame undead those years ago, And plus no one has called me by my name for the last quite sometime.Those who have spoken to me have called me *The Nameless One*, And i find that it is quite fiting, So i have tooken it.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-23, 07:10 PM
And I am known as Nightstalker

The voice comes from a Wight that just melted out of the shadows

drack
2010-11-23, 10:29 PM
Koraque slowly, reluctantly solidifies into his true form, head slumped forwards in shame. He speaks in a deep and mournful voice "I am Koraque betrayer of all, come to mind the duties I have neglected for so long." as he says this his face floods with sadness as if he held himself singlehandedly responsible for all of the current situation.

He looks towards the former servant of Vecna and says "I apologize to have shown myself here again, and I also apologize for the untimely death of von Einschnitt, it truly couldn't have unfolded as it did at a worse time... when you needed him most..." after this Koraque's voice fades into the silent whispering that forever echoes from the hall of Vecna.

appending_doom
2010-11-24, 06:34 AM
"The age when we might rule others has come to an end," the fiend announces, voice carrying through the chamber. "That he drew the attention of the Pleides was his downfall, not the actions of a single of our brethren."

The lich-fiend steps closer to the group, eyes glowing with piercing red. But you have answered my call, as I have forseen. Five, and no more. You are all that believe anything can be done."

drack
2010-11-24, 08:33 PM
"Not the actions of a single of our brethren..." Koraque repeats, trailing off with an element of disbelief in his tone.

"Regardless. we do have a matter in which none of us appear to have been to eager to assist in before today, is there any plan as to how we five could possibly scuceed where Vecna herself had failed? Or are we simply repenting with our lives? after all that would be a fitting end..." Koraque trails off yet again allowing the creepy silence to yet again drown him out.

appending_doom
2010-11-24, 08:46 PM
"Come now, you must know the legends. Plein has shown himself to command great power. Near to that of a god. But there is a greater power, one that has broken even greater ones."

The demon throws back its head and calls to the ceiling. "Ages ago, men began a war in which the first of our kind were born. We nearly won the world, then, as Rose once did. But the power of the Vancians was broken forever. And remnants of the powers wielded in that war still linger. Powers that existed before the current age. Powers greater than that of Plein."

Elfstone
2010-11-24, 09:25 PM
Lenor took a step forward. "And what powers are these?" he asks quizzically.

appending_doom
2010-11-24, 09:45 PM
"The remnants of Vancia. The remnants of Vecna. The remnants of the creator Alko," the fiend hisses.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-24, 10:51 PM
"Quite fascinating," Sir Balthazar muses. "Would I be correct in assuming, then, that those three objects in front of you are the remnants of which you speak?"

drack
2010-11-24, 10:55 PM
Koraque casts his eyes around the room before saying ...Alko... now that is a name that you doesn't here nowadays. Looking about it appears that I am one of the oldest among us, and yet even in the years of my life Alko was but a dim whisper, already fading into the past... Koraque rubs his head attempting to remember before giving up, and muttering something about how 50,000 years of age doesn't foster good memory.

appending_doom
2010-11-24, 11:09 PM
The fiend stares down at the relics for a long moment before scattering them from the altar. "No. Relics held by foolish people. But the fact that they exist show that the true relics must exist somewhere. They say that Kas the Bloody-Handed betrayed Vecna himself on the Night of the Sun, cutting off his hand and stealing his eye, so that Plein could strike him down.

"But there are other legends. Alko left this world, but some say he left behind tools that hold but shards of his will. And Vancia...it may be a broken land, but it was an empire once, an empire ruled by undying sorcerers, undead of every race."

The demon looks up at the gathered undead. "In some way, this is the war of the Vancians again, some wishing to enforce mortality upon all living things. This is to be our stand against the will of Alko, who dictated that all things must someday die." Its eyes blaze as it continues. "Wherever Plein's power comes from, it is the same message we heard at the dawn of time, and it cannot be made to be truth."

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-25, 01:14 AM
Bah! The only thing Mortality is good for is ridding the world of the Vile Necromancers. Always messing with us, Never taking our considerations into account, Necromancers are alright in general but the ones that practice the blackest of black magics to Evil purposes.

His face turns dark thinking of those repulsive people and he falls silent once more

appending_doom
2010-11-25, 06:10 AM
"Those who practice other arts are as prone to evil as those who walk with death," the demon growls. "Plein will paint you all with the same brush, and seek your destruction. But there is one more thing-"

The air of the chamber splits with a deafening crack, revealing a tight-knit group of nine humans, all dressed in heavy armor. All has been polished to a fine sheen, and each helmet bears the familiar holy symbol of the Pleides.

The man at the center, a wizened human dressed in light robes, holds within his hand an iron box.

@all

Roll Initiative

Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsRxq2mYF87CdDAwaU9uUldYLTFMT0UwMC1VUjBFa 0E&hl=en&authkey=CPr92PwN)

drack
2010-11-25, 07:41 AM
koraque:
[roll0]

Elfstone
2010-11-25, 11:29 AM
Lenor snarls at the sight of the new arrivals.

[roll0]

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-25, 03:14 PM
Initiative:

[roll0]
:smallfrown:

monkman
2010-11-25, 04:34 PM
initative
[roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-25, 11:07 PM
Balthazar sneers at the new arrivals. "I was expecting you gentlemen to arrive soon enough. Is there anything in which you do not interfere?"

Initiative: [roll0]

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-26, 01:13 AM
In about a minute they won't be interfering in this.

Nightstalker shimmers out of view as his spear elongating as he does

OOC:
Standard: Greater Invisibility
Move: Move from L12 to M16
Free: Change Spear to Longspear (Reach10)
Cleric1 is Threatened by me.

monkman
2010-11-26, 06:47 AM
The nameless one charges in his creaking armor to the first paladin while uttering a savage roar .

Actions(he charges to 17N and attack the paladin 2, He also get a +2 to attack and a -2 to ac)
attack
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]+[roll2] shock
(evirone has to roll a Will save of 19 or be feared for 1d4 rounds)
Ac(this turn):37
touch:9
flat footed:36
Hp:75
Dr:5/-

drack
2010-11-26, 08:37 AM
Koraque feels his mind empty as he takes the few steps necessary to cover the ground of the collapsed wall that he was sulking next to before he aims a punch at cleric number four, than brings his forearm up into the man's jaw, than smashes his elbow right back into the cleric's head.

attack rolls:
fist:[roll0]
forearm:[roll1]
elbow:[roll2]
damage rolls:
fist:[roll3]
forearm[roll4]
elbow:[roll5]

Elfstone
2010-11-26, 09:10 AM
Lenor uses ghost step to become invisible and moves around behind(next to Clr3) the group, planning on attack them next round.

appending_doom
2010-11-26, 09:56 AM
As Lenor moves into position, the two frontmost man in armor lunge forward, large clubs at the ready.

They close on Peo and the Nameless One first, bringing their weapons to bear as they cry righteous fury to the heavens.

Pal3 to Fan; charging
[roll0]
DMG [roll1] plus [roll2]

Pal2 to monkman; charging
[roll3]
DMG [roll4] plus [roll5]

ATN Elfstone: You threaten Pal2 and may use an AoO as he leaves.

Koraque's first two attacks strike the cleric, but the last is blocked by the man's shield.

EDIT: posted too soon and lost rolls, so reposted

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-26, 11:40 AM
Sir Balthazar makes a swift motion with his left hand as if reaching up for something above him, and skeletal tentacles burst out of the ground below the Pleides to attack them.

He casts Evard's black tentacles centered on the intersection between Clr2 and Clr4, so it hits all 7 of the Pleides there.

Grapple checks:
Clr1: [roll0]
Clr2: [roll1]
Sge: [roll2]
Clr3: [roll3]
Pal4: [roll4]
Clr4: [roll5]
Pal1: [roll6]

appending_doom
2010-11-26, 01:41 PM
The fiend stretches out a hand, and a dark ray of energy strikes the paladin that had attempted to harm the mummy.

[roll0] ranged touch
[roll1] times 1.5 +5

The remaining paladins, however, leap from the ground and streak forward above the earth to strike at Nightstalker and the Nameless One.

Pal4 vs Teo
[roll2]
DMG [roll3] plus [roll4]

Pal2 vs TNO
[roll5]
DMG [roll6] plus [roll7]

ATN elfstone: Pal2 provokes as he moves.

appending_doom
2010-11-26, 01:58 PM
The man at the center of the invaders glances up and whispers a strange word. The fiend vanishes from the battlefield. He drifts from the center of his protective circle, and a wavering field of air appears to manifest around him.

The huge mummified beast slams into his opponent, shattering the man's resolve.

A moment later, the tentacles explode out of the ground at the center of the holy men and the hidden undead.

@pair&drack&elf

Grapple checks need to be rolled; you're all corporeal

appending_doom
2010-11-26, 01:59 PM
Grapple checks
Clr 1 [roll0]
Clr 2 [roll1]
Clr 3 [roll2]
Clr 4 [roll3]

The clerics, including one who is still unmoving from the force of the mummy's fear effect, are swiftly entangled in the tentacles.

Two of the clerics, however, snap out a single sharp word. The word resonates painfully with the body of the undead, causing pain that abruptly cuts into their eyes and ears.

appending_doom
2010-11-26, 02:23 PM
Concentrate [roll0]

Everyone make 2 Will saves, DC 23, or be deaf for [roll1] and blind for [roll2] rounds

The third tries to escape the hold.

[roll3] VS [roll4]

@fan

Your choice is either to enter the black tentacles, provoking AoOs, or attack the guy standing in front of you.

drack
2010-11-26, 02:24 PM
koraque resists the grapple: [roll0]

drack
2010-11-26, 04:15 PM
Will saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]
phew

monkman
2010-11-26, 04:22 PM
will saves
[roll0]
[roll1]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-26, 04:23 PM
@DMSpellcraft check to identify what made Balthazar corporeal: [roll0]

Will saves: [roll1]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-26, 04:25 PM
Second Will save didn't work for some reason, here it is:
[roll0]

Also, what's grappling Balthazar that I need to make a check against? He's not in the black tentacles.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-26, 05:35 PM
changing my move:
swift action: spear becomes longspear
standard action: SLA Greater Invisibility
move action: none

Elfstone
2010-11-26, 07:48 PM
Lenor makes an AoO on Pal2
Attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2] (1/2 is fire)
[roll3] (1/2 is frost)
Will saves
[roll4]
[roll5]
Grapple
[roll6]

drack
2010-11-27, 09:15 PM
Round 2: Koraque continues his assault on cleric 4 kicking his leg, swinging his left fist at the cleric's right shoulder, and headbutting him right in the face.

attack:
headbutt [roll0]
kick [roll1]
fist [roll2]
damage:
headbutt [roll3]
kick [roll4]
fist [roll5]

as he dose so, and the blood begins to stem from the cleric a cruel and bitter smile begins to form it's self on Koraque's face.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-27, 09:34 PM
Round2: Nightstalker brushes the Paladin with his hand draining his life to help heal his wounds

Standard Action: Slam Paladin in front of me
Attack (Defender loses Dex Mod) (I think a slam is a Touch attack but I'm not sure?)
Damage [roll]3d6+1d4+12
Paladin gains a negative level
I regain 12HP (fast healing)
I gain 6 temporary HP for an hour

Elfstone
2010-11-28, 11:39 AM
Lenor slashes out with both his short swords at the nearest cleric.
attack1
[roll0]
attack2
[roll1]
damage1
[roll]1d4+6[roll]
+ fire damage
[roll2]
damage 2
[roll]1d4+4[roll]
+ frost damage
[roll3]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-30, 12:17 AM
Sir Balthazar shakes his head at the clerics' actions. "That was most certainly uncalled for." He glares at them reproachfully, and his eyes glow an eerie greenish-blue.

Grapple checks:
Clr1: [roll0]
Clr2: [roll1]
Clr3: [roll2]
Clr4: [roll3]
Len: [roll4]
Kor: [roll5]
Any target failing its check takes [roll6] bludgeoning.

As his action, Balthazar turns on his Corrupting Gaze; every living creature within 30 feet must make a DC 25 Fort save or take [roll7] damage and [roll8] Cha.

monkman
2010-12-02, 07:41 PM
The nameless one attacks the paladin which he attacked before.
attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]+[roll3]shock
[roll4]+[roll5]shock
(Which paladin am i attacking again?)
I got a 18 on the roll and beacuse of the improved critical.Going to roll again.

monkman
2010-12-02, 07:44 PM
Critical
[roll0]This is a fail( i got a 1:smalleek:)
[roll1]+[roll2]Shock

appending_doom
2010-12-04, 02:48 PM
Lenor's cuts strike the paralyzed cleric with ease.

The wounded paladin steps around the nameless one and meets Balthazar's eyes. He stabs forward with his blade, and mutters an invocation to Plein.

Turning check
[roll0] (9 HD max; anyone with turn resistance is unaffected)
Turning damage [roll1]

Koraque's attack wounds the struggling cleric, although the headbutt misses.

[roll2]

The lichfiend is still missing from the battlefield.

The sage draws a scrap of paper from his robes. He offers a grim smile before releasing a blast of energy at the center of the writhing tentacles.

greater dispel magic, [roll3]

The tentacles vanish from the battlefield, freeing the clerics, and the undead, from their grip.

appending_doom
2010-12-04, 03:08 PM
The fourth paladin attacks Peo with several quick blows of his heavy club, while the first and third converge on the Nameless One.

Pal4 vs Peo Night
[roll0]
dmg [roll1] plus [roll2]

[roll3]
dmg [roll4] plus [roll5]

[roll6]
dmg [roll7] plus [roll8]

Pal1 vs the nameless one
[roll9]
dmg [roll10] plus [roll11]

[roll12]
dmg [roll13] plus [roll14]

[roll15]
dmg [roll16] plus [roll17]

Pal3 vs the nameless one
[roll18]
dmg [roll19] plus [roll20]

[roll21]
dmg [roll22] plus [roll23]

[roll24]
dmg [roll25] plus [roll26]

The Nameless One flees the paladin he had, only moments before, had at his mercy, as a chilling, fiery light fills his mind, the tough of Plein's will.

The first paladin makes an opportunistic strike as he flees.

[roll27]
dmg [roll28] plus [roll29]

Pal1
[roll30] plus 2

Pal2
[roll31] plus 2

Pal3
[roll32] plus 2

Pal4
[roll33] plus 2

Only the most weakened paladin seems struck by the effect.

appending_doom
2010-12-04, 03:27 PM
Finding the coast clear, the first of the clerics runs to the weakened paladin's side and lays a gentle hand on the man's shoulder.

Clr1 to Pal2
CCW [roll0]

The second cleric snaps a hand out to his frozen companion, whose paralysis eases almost immediately. He then moves towards the sage protectively.

The third cleric, now freed of his affliction, steps back from his enemy and lays a hand on the fourth cleric.

Clr 3 to Clr 4
CCW [roll1]
AND heals the same amount

The fourth cleric steps back from Koraque, and, paying careful attention to his surroundings, lets out a shout of pure righteoud fury.

Lenor and Koraque are struck with the force of holy power and blinding light.

Make a DC 20 Will save or be blinded for 1 round; take [roll2] damage, or half that with a successful safe.

Rather than attack, Nightstalker flees from the paladins at top speed.

drack
2010-12-05, 04:59 PM
The smile instantly fades from Koraque's face as the cleric is held, and Koraque covers the distance to cleric 4 in one stride quickly bringing his knee into the cleric's gut, than planting his fist firmly in the cleric's face before swinging with his other fist at the side on the man's head.

Attack:
knee: [roll0]
punch 1[roll1]
punch 2[roll2]
Damage:
knee [roll3]
punch 1 [roll4]
punch 2 [roll5]

drack
2010-12-06, 01:24 PM
forgot 50% miss chance, doing them in the above order. 50+=hit 49-=miss
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-12-11, 01:05 AM
Sir Balthazar eyes the paladins and cleric moving around him; he doesn't like these odds. "Hmm. Perhaps this will even the odds?" he muses. Quickly, he floats forward, attempting to merge himself with the closest paladin.

Using malevolence on Paladin 2. Will save DC 25 or the paladin is magic jar'd.

Elfstone
2010-12-11, 12:16 PM
Lenor goes invisible again and moves forward to sudden strike a cleric(3). He grins as he takes the cleric by surprise.
attack 1
[roll0]
attack 2
[roll1]
damage 1
[roll2](standard damage)
[roll3] fire damage
damage 2
[roll4](standard damage)
[roll5] frost damage

Elfstone
2010-12-11, 12:18 PM