PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Appropriate template?

Steamsaint
2010-11-23, 09:06 AM
I'm looking to create a class of creatures adapted from normal foes at various levels which act as both servants and representatives of the BBEG.

Basically, they are going to be corpses reanimated through the power of a porcelain mask e.g. if the mask is shattered the creature dies (although they're magically resistant yadda yadda so you have to take out the full hitpoints so on and so forth). However, since there are going to be a number of them and I want them to have different styles of fighting, I was looking for a template or something to tie them all together so they have some sort of common ability. These guys will be fought throughout heroic and up to about mid-paragon, I think, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

dsmiles
2010-11-23, 09:08 AM
Perhaps apply one of the class templates?

Sipex
2010-11-23, 09:30 AM
Porcelain Servant (Template)
The creature wears a porcelain mask which controls and empowers it.
Mask
The creature wears a porcelain mask which controls it. The mask has a quarter of the hit points of the creature and can only be targetted on a critical hit or coup de grace.
Mask Revival
When the creature reaches 0 hit points it doesn't die but instead is unconscious. On it's next turn it may make a saving throw. On a success the creature stands up at 1/4 hit points.
Shatter
When the mask is destroyed (reaches 0 hit points) the creature turns to dust and is dead.

Duos Greanleef
2010-11-23, 09:46 AM
DMG had the idea of monster group themes (Feywild Denizens, Legion of Avernus, Etc.).
You could make a list of 10 or so powers that you think the group as a whole should be familiar with. Sprinkle those powers out over your monsters as you feel is appropriate over the course of the next 13 levels or so, and call it a day.

Grogmir
2010-11-23, 09:58 AM
Write them yourself! Seriously - doesn't take 10 minutes. All the monsters my guys fight are made up. Keeps these hard core DnDers on their toes - they never know what i've given them!

Sounds like you need
Minion, Basic Gribbly, Harder Gribbly (For the paragon tier)

Just have some with bows, so with axes and some that were wizards.

So you've got basic monster x Axeman (gains a better melee attack and perhaps bloodlus), Bowman gains a better ranged ability) x mage (Fluff some sort of control power / area burst)

Shared power?

Mask of protection: 1 turn after failing to 0 HP they will rise again unless the mask is destroyed

Gaze of dispair: +? Vs Will; Range 5: Minor Action.
the eyes of the mask glow bright revealing the dark necrotic energy within. Hit: You are weaken and dazed, save ends.

Really with it being so easy - anthing is within your grasp!

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-23, 02:31 PM
If you want a simpler solution, you can give them something like the zombie weakness where they get killed by a critical hit (in this case, representing the mask taking a direct hit and getting destroyed). Or maybe they can ONLY be killed by a critical hit?

Sipex
2010-11-23, 02:32 PM
If you want a simpler solution, you can give them something like the zombie weakness where they get killed by a critical hit (in this case, representing the mask taking a direct hit and getting destroyed). Or maybe they can ONLY be killed by a critical hit?

This works, it's basically my solution simplified (since a coup de grace is automatically a critical hit anyways).

Aron Times
2010-11-23, 05:17 PM
Porcelain masks, you say?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100713145406/bleach/en/images/3/39/Vizard_Hollow_Masks.jpg

Steamsaint
2010-11-23, 06:57 PM
Porcelain masks, you say?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100713145406/bleach/en/images/3/39/Vizard_Hollow_Masks.jpg

Heeeey... :smallsmile:

It's not quite like that. They're more white porcelain human masks that show no emotion. I got the idea from this board a couple of months ago, in fact.

Also, this is a group of new-ish players, so I'm basically just grabbing (for example a goblin dragon shaman or whatever it is) and reflavouring it into a masked humanoid shape. I've played a little with them in the campaign and one has already gone somewhat feral e.g. kind of doing a druid beast form and then attempting to claw a party member to death, while another is about to cast spells at them.

Porcelain Servant

That actually looks really good - may just be exactly what I need.

Thanks everyone :D

Sipex
2010-11-24, 09:17 AM
If you're going to go that way make sure you have a solution in place for when your players say "I want to aim at it's face."

That is bound to come up pretty quickly once they realise the problem.