PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle ideas involving minor time travel and duplicate selves?

Sipex
2010-11-23, 11:13 AM
Alright guys, I need some creative minds if anyone wants to help.

I'm currently working on a single player session (the party is splitting up doing individual personal quests) and one player is being invited off to a mansion of an old family rival. She gets there, some story stuff happens, yakety-sax, she ends up in a giant magical hedge maze akin to the movie Labrynth.

One of the features of said maze is if the player cuts through the bush it warps time and space and will simply lead back to the closest checkpoint (usually right before a challenge or puzzle). From there she will see a copy of herself do exactly what she just did, up to and including cutting through the bush if she leaves it that long. If she interferes with her other self it will attack her and she'll take control of the victor of the battle.)

Now, I want her to be able to use this mechanic to solve some puzzles. The first puzzle which is simply a barred gate/door which requires a switch to open. When she flips the switch (she's a fighter so no fancy spells) the gate opens but she gets locked in the area with the switch. She then cuts her way out (to the last checkpoint) and watches herself go and flip the switch, enabling her to continue on.

Anyone have anything more clever? I know time travel (even minor time travel) is really tricky but this player is pretty simple so I don't have to worry about her all too much.

Diarmuid
2010-11-23, 11:21 AM
Sounds a lot like the little puzzles in the latest Ratchet and Clank game when you're controlling Clank. Maybe go youtube up a few of those.

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-23, 11:24 AM
... From there she will see a copy of herself do exactly what she just did, up to and including cutting through the bush if she leaves it that long.

Braid much? :smalltongue:

But seriously: use that game for inspiration. Sounds like it's just what you're looking for.

If you can't get Braid, try a flash game titled "The company of myself".

Sipex
2010-11-23, 11:25 AM
Actually, this wasn't really a copy of any game.

I decided I needed a solution that would prevent the fighter from cutting a path from A to B (since she can see her destination in the distance) yet was something more creative than 'Sorry, the wall can't be cut.'

I forgot about braid though, that world with the shadow self would be useful.

Gnaritas
2010-11-23, 11:30 AM
You could do something where 2 things need to be done simultaneously.
For example, you push a button and see a bridge go up. You walk to the bridge but the second you let go of that button it went down again.
Sucks, you walk through a bush and see yourself about to push a button, you run to the bridge and pass over.
Even harder if you cannot see what the button does (the bridge is not in sight).
Obviously you can exchange bridge for anything that fits.

Sipex
2010-11-23, 11:31 AM
Huh. Simple yet elegant.