PDA

View Full Version : Making a Chess Master Summoner?

Tech Boy
2010-11-23, 05:52 PM
Hello folks!

I have started a summoner for my new pathfinder campaign and I have heard of this Chess Master Summoner.

I have googled it and found a little ebook.
I do not have access to this ebook.

Can anyone give me a summary on making a chess master?
It would be awesome if you could!

Eloel
2010-11-23, 05:54 PM
Complete Warrior has rules on Conjurers' Chess (chess played with summons). I've never heard of a "Chess Master Summoner".

Last Laugh
2010-11-23, 06:24 PM
Which edition are you referring to? My google result turned back this page, and a BG 4th edition thread.

Psyren
2010-11-23, 06:29 PM
Which edition are you referring to? My google result turned back this page, and a BG 4th edition thread.

I would guess Pathfinder :smalltongue:

And while I'm not too knowledgeable about Summoners, "Chess Master" sounds like ways to use summon monster and their eidolon to facilitate battlefield control.

Runestar
2010-11-23, 08:37 PM
One issue of dragon did have chess pieces as monsters. Not sure if they can be summoned via spells though.

Ernir
2010-11-23, 08:56 PM
Screams Psion + Astral Construct to me, actually.

Gnorman
2010-11-24, 12:22 AM
The Chaturani are chess monsters from Dragon #358, with Pawns, Knights, Bishops, Rooks, Queens, and Kings. Many of them are in fact summonable with Summon Monster, too: Pawns with SM III, Knights with SM V, Bishops with SM VII, and Rooks with SM VIII (these numbers are balanced for Pawns and Knights, but the Bishops and Rooks should be shifted down a SM level). I would also let a player summon a Queen with SM VIII and the King with SM IX, but that's not allowable by RAW.

They are in fact very powerful summons - the bishop casts as a cleric of his level, the queen casts as a sorcerer of her level and has Pounce, while the King (though very limited in mobility) can channel a number of powerful SLAs through his dire mace - just don't let him stay threatened for long.

Now, this is a very LITERAL definition of Chess Master Summoner. If you were just hoping to control the board, as it were, with your summoned minions, I'd also invest heavily in teleportation magic - Benign Transposition, Recall, etc., to make sure that the positioning remains to your liking. Your milieu will be making sure that your Pounce-less summons are still able to make full attacks and lock down the competition, creating veritable walls of scales and chitin to protect your and yours. If an enemy gets through? Well, teleport the squishies away and replace them with a big bristling ball of angry fangs and claws.

Tech Boy
2010-11-24, 06:35 PM
The Chaturani are chess monsters from Dragon #358, with Pawns, Knights, Bishops, Rooks, Queens, and Kings. Many of them are in fact summonable with Summon Monster, too: Pawns with SM III, Knights with SM V, Bishops with SM VII, and Rooks with SM VIII (these numbers are balanced for Pawns and Knights, but the Bishops and Rooks should be shifted down a SM level). I would also let a player summon a Queen with SM VIII and the King with SM IX, but that's not allowable by RAW.

They are in fact very powerful summons - the bishop casts as a cleric of his level, the queen casts as a sorcerer of her level and has Pounce, while the King (though very limited in mobility) can channel a number of powerful SLAs through his dire mace - just don't let him stay threatened for long.

Now, this is a very LITERAL definition of Chess Master Summoner. If you were just hoping to control the board, as it were, with your summoned minions, I'd also invest heavily in teleportation magic - Benign Transposition, Recall, etc., to make sure that the positioning remains to your liking. Your milieu will be making sure that your Pounce-less summons are still able to make full attacks and lock down the competition, creating veritable walls of scales and chitin to protect your and yours. If an enemy gets through? Well, teleport the squishies away and replace them with a big bristling ball of angry fangs and claws.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear, I did mean the LITERAL definition. Thank you.