PDA

View Full Version : Spell list for a wizard

Ramza1987
2010-11-23, 06:12 PM
Well, im playing a Wizard 5/Nar demonbinder 1/Ultimate magus 10/ incantatrix 4;
Necropolitan, with a young adult Tartarian Dragon as a familiar (nicknamed Megatron, by the master, who plays it like him :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: ); that is a mixture of some of the most fun characteristics, of Richard, from looking for group, and from Dr. Doom; even if we are playing a high lvl game, it is just for the lulz, we had two sessions and not even a single fight, just long roleplaying time, and TOO much fun.

My character is a powerful wizard, who got turned into an undead by another wizard, and was driven crazy, by the transformation, and the life as an undead; The thing is, i donīt know how to reflect his power, and evil coolness, with the right spells, they donīt need to be powerful, just have to be fun, wicked, fitting a evil wizard.

Some obvious choices for me were: Orb of fire (just in case i need damage), enervation, black tentacles, Cloud kill, and a buuf or two, for the dragon (and maybe muself as i have 18 in every stat, 24 with belt of magnificence).

And one last question, polymorph description indicates i can shape into any creature of my type, within a HD cap; can i shapechange into a dracolich, for example (My DM probably would allow it anyway, but i would like tro be sure)?

Edit: i forgot to say, he is the counselor of the king of a pelor fanatic kingdom (:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:), and has been for quite a time, that may lead to some good ideas, besides, the form altering spells (the aligment hiding part is covered), and my char, is Lawful Evil.

Soren Hero
2010-11-23, 07:54 PM
evil wizard you say? working within a mostly good kingdom? hmm...from a RP perspective, how about simulacrum? it would allow you to replace the current hierarchy of the kingdom with duplicates that are under your complete control. why advise the king, when you could BE the king! this isn't even using simulacrum in a cheesy way (like many people do). and maybe clone, so that you can grow a backup body for important people in your organization

what exactly do you want to be able to do? and how evil are we taking about? like evil for eviluz, or evil as power?

Ramza1987
2010-11-23, 08:23 PM
Didnīt think of simulacrum, thanks for the idea!

My character, is EVIL, but mantains a little of his humanity and so has some rules of his own (that is the lawful evil part), but is working to increase, not only his arcane power, but his political/economic powerr too. so instead of being the "look im evil" kind of guy, he worked, behind the scenes, making little steps. Now, he started "recruiting a little army for himself (the rest of the party :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:), so now he has a way to make things without making himself obvious.

That is my character by the time being, i want it to be really evil (and show it with my choice of spells), but have a little "for the lulz" thing, because the game is "for the lulz"

By the way (in case it is needed), my party consist, in a Death knight monk, a kalashtar monk/unarmed swordsage; a tielfling warlock, a human necropolitan Paladin of tyranny, a bard/dirge singer/deathīs chosen (my own slave :smallbiggrin:), and not yet, but will be playing; a tielfing cleric, and a necromancer themed wizard (not sure of the classes).

Soren Hero
2010-11-23, 08:47 PM
well, showing evil in a spell list is difficult unless the spells you use have the Evil descriptor...using the spells in an evil way is much easier...some spells include dominate person/monster, charm person, baleful polymorph (like wizards/witches in stories), irresistible dance (a fun spell for humiliation and combat useful as well) a permanent "symbol of pain" inscribed on your chest as a debuff in fights or simply to cause pain wherever you go, nightmare to mess with people who you don't like while they sleep..when used for evil purposes, these spells can be evil...as far as evil spells go, you have the Book of Vile Darkness...im AFB right now, so I can't give you any specifics, but I do know they have "Mindrape" which is a very evil spell...hope this helps

Ramza1987
2010-11-23, 09:03 PM
Thanks a lot, i will check for more spells with a evil feel, or than can be used to evil ends, or are just fun to use as a evil character.

gbprime
2010-11-23, 11:56 PM
Don't overlook things like Mass Whelm (Empowered) and Overwhelm (both PHB2), as quite often taking a prisoner gives you FAR more evil options, especially if you can Geas, Charm, or Dominate.

Mass Flesh to Salt (sandstorm) is nice too, especially if you can empower it cheaply. There's no save against the damage, only Fort to resist being turned to salt.

And don't forget Brilliant Blade (SC). it has a range of Close, so you can use it on your ENEMIES weapons... since, you know, you're undead and therefore immune to any weapon so enchanted... Brilliant Aura is the same thing, but it defangs an entire legion of foes at once. :smallamused:

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 12:02 AM
Wow, never tought of brilliant blade, and thanks for the other tips.

Aron Times
2010-11-24, 12:12 AM
Note that you don't need [Evil] spells to be evil. Even healing spells can be used to keep torture subjects alive for endless torture. It's basically all about how you use your powers.

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 12:46 AM
Of course, but the thing, is im a bit, bad in the ideas department, so that is why i ask for the playgroundersīs wisdom.

WarrenZig
2010-11-24, 01:41 AM
Since simulacrum seems interesting to you i'd like to recommend Ice Assassin from Frostburn. It's a 9th level spell (which may or may not be a problem) that is identical to simulacrum except it creates a copy which has 100% of the target's levels/skills/feats/ETC.

It also has all of the target memories, gains a +10 to it's disguise check, and gains the cold subtype. it is under your complete command and you are able to speak telepathically with it and view the area around it as long as you are within 1 mile.

The down side is that if the target it is a clone of is still alive its going to pretty insanely want to hunt down and murder the original, which could be pretty bad if you don't remain within a mile of it or give it more detailed orders about what to do about the original. Everyone but the original sees it as the original, while the original sees it as an ice statue.

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 01:46 AM
Yeah, i know that spell (just forgot about it :smallbiggrin:), May be very interesting in the riight circumstances.

Lev
2010-11-24, 01:50 AM
BoVD is your friend.

Mindrape, your most potent social tool.

Genesis, your most powerful tool.

Contigency, your backup plan.

Astral projection, form.

Clone, your second form.

Personal dimension from Genesis, your real home.

Have fun, mr. invincible evil wizard god.

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 01:54 AM
I had clone in mind, to have a back up plan, just in case something went wrong, astral projection too.

Te rest, even tough i know about them, never thought oof them.

Thanks, again.

Lev
2010-11-24, 02:23 AM
It's been discussed, but genesis to personal dimension could have divinely subjective matter and a warped rate of time, it could go however slow you want and thus within 1000 years passing in your home plane an instant might pass on the material plane. You could start and end your evil world domination scheme within a surprise round *chuckle*.

How about trapping some efreets via planar binding and using their wishes to capture more, within a year on your plane you could have a couple billion trapped efreets, make a billion simultaneous wishes and kill some gods.

BEHOLD, THE PRIME GOD,

YOU.

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 11:06 AM
My god.... You are starting to show me, how horrible i am, with making good ideas with this system....

One thing, i want my character, to "show" heīs powerful, and be somewhat fun from time to time, as the game im playing has a great amount of fanservice and comedical parts, for example, my familiar is a Tartarian dragon, who shapes, into a human, with the appeareance of the DMGīs blackguard; and shouts "megatron Terrorize" every time he transforms, and says Yeessssss, from time to time.

Lev
2010-11-24, 07:21 PM
If you can cast 9th level spells this is not hard.

Wish
Time Stop
Mind Rape
Foresight
Power Word Kill
Sphere of Ultimate Destruction (just for the name)
Shapechange (Transform into basically anything)

And wish will cover any spell below level 9 as spontaneous with no material cost.

Simbul’s Skeletal Deliquescence is also nice for a nonlethal spell, turns them into goo but doesn't kill them for WEEKS at a time.

Callista
2010-11-24, 10:00 PM
Don't get too cheesy. This game is all about the fun, neh? Not gonna be fun if you're in god-mode with infinite wishes.

And yeah, it's all about how you use the spells. A simple Charm Person can be used to do horrible things, and it's only 1st level spell. Getting someone to trust you and consider you a friend... so you can abuse them.

You don't always need Mindrape. Conserve your power; think ahead and be cautious. Use the least magic required. You don't want to power through everything; it's like leaving a big ol' signal that says "Powerful Evil Magic-User Was Here!" everywhere you go. Subtlety is much better. Don't use a Mindrape where a Charm spell will do; don't kill someone if you can control them; don't control them if you can influence and predict them. Your character's got a ridiculous intelligence score--use it. He knows everything about everything. Make good use of Divination to find the things that aren't written in books; and remember that many people think that blocking Divination is a good way to protect themselves when in reality, it just tells the person who's scrying, "Hey, look over here! We have a secret!". You've got your finger in every pie and you know exactly what's going on. Heck, you probably have a spy network just to check out failed Divinations.

In battle, your best strategy is probably to help the party, hamper the enemy, and let your minions friends do the fighting for you. Why should you get your hands dirty when you can just sit back, throw a few spells, and watch the action?

Ramza1987
2010-11-24, 10:21 PM
That is more or less the kind of character im aiming for, i donīt want it to be powerful, just to shade everyone near me, but to show his great amount of time studying magic, and to scare posible, enemies, or persuade someone that is better to be my "friend" than my enemy.

So i do want some nasty spells, just in case i need them (and with my master, i will), and some spell to use in a clever way, to make things fun, or "to show" my evil side, when apropiate.

In battle, my character will mostly do what he has always done, in his life, let another do the dirty work for him. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: